Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bumper Accomodation Thread *Put ALL Accomodation queries here*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

Brookfield certainly isn't the best inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Ive heard nothing but good things about Victoria Mills, but I think the applications have to be in the next 3 weeks according to some people in the lift today, it was definatley booked out by March last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 keeffe2001

victoria mills is great if you can afford it, broadband in all the rooms, everyone usually shares theres stuff on the network, and the rooms are big (the beds are tiny though). Only problems is that its expensive, bit of a stroll from ucc and town and you have to pay rent up front in two in september and december. also the waiting list is pretty long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

Does anyone know any good student accomodation that's much nearer town? All of them seem to be more towards Bishopstown/Sundays Well/Wilton. Maybe some student orientated apartments?

I need to find somewhere to move to on Co-op that's pretty much half way in between the bus station and UCC(15 mins each way, give or take?).

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭cheerio

Does anyone know anything about the Leeside Apartments? They seem perfect for me, but I'd like to hear someone's opinion. They look a bit horrible on the inside, but fairly big. Does anyone know what the bedrooms are like, what size etc.? There aren't really any pictures on the website.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

victoria mills or deans hall are the best for what your your paying for really. brookfield however is right next to the nursing buildin ;) though still a good ten minute walk from main collage campus too though if your walking fast.inside though not the greatest and management are very strict so i hear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Rozie wrote:
    Does anyone know any good student accomodation that's much nearer town? All of them seem to be more towards Bishopstown/Sundays Well/Wilton. Maybe some student orientated apartments?

I need to find somewhere to move to on Co-op that's pretty much half way in between the bus station and UCC(15 mins each way, give or take?).
    Theres a bus station right outside Farranlea, and its a 15 minute walk to UCC..

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Dr. Feelgood

Brookfield is a total dump hole. Don't go there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

chuci wrote:
    victoria mills or deans hall are the best for what your your paying for really.

Deans Hall is awful from what I've seen. Overzealous security guards, paper thin walls and generally not very nice. Prices sound extortionate although it is right next to UCC. I hear it costs €6 for one washload to which sounds a bit much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

I heard Victoria Mills were playing games with the internet access (blocking certain content, P2P and so on)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

That's almost standard practice for any complex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sensei28

On accomodation, please tell everyone you know to avoid Victoria Station. I know an email was sent to all ucc students by one of the residents but some people seen to think that just one person has a gripe with the accomodation. This is not true.

The vast majority of apartments have serious problems with damp, particularly the apartments on the top floor. As time goes by this will spread down to all floors of the building. This is due to poor ventilation and bad building work. It has nothing whatsoever to do with "the way the building is used" as suggested by the management company. Many of the rooms which are damp, have mould in them.

Parking is costing €950 for 9 months and the spaces provided for students are actually owned by businesses in the area.

Both the washing machine (singular) and the dryers cost €1 for every 15 mins use. Most cycles are at least 1h 30 mins for a decent wash and a good 1hr is needed in the dryer. So its cost at least €10 to wash clothes and all machines are set to lock at the end of the cycle so you need to put in an extra €1 to unlock them and get back out your clothes.

The walls are paper thin, the front doors could be pushed in by a 2 year old. There is no security provided, contrary to advertisement.

This year they are charging €4,400 and next year they want a staggering €5,300 for the 9 months. The staff in the management company are rude and very unhelpful and regularly resort to bad language and aggressive behaviour when anyone raises any issues in relation to the apartment.

I could actually go on and on but simply request that you tell all your friends to avoid this complex and other complexes being built by this company. I for one certainly wouldnt want anyone to have to put up with this next year.

PS: I am not a first year but this company seems to target 1st years. Pass the word around and beware.

Any other ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I'm looking for a place as well (don't mind where it is tbh) but I'm going to guess looking when my exams are finished at the end of the month is going to be too late?

Just looking at the accommodation on the UCC website, it looks like there are very few vacancies.

Anyone know how much Brookfield costs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 K_Lofty

Any one intrested in student accommodation at Edenhall@thevillage Model Farm road should contact me at kjloftus@hotmail.com. The appartment is for a first year male student and is very close to Bishops Town CIT complex with good bus links to the city center.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Does anyone know anything about "The Village" accommodation???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Jayeire

Vic Mills currently still have vacancies, not many, so hurry

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Hingisfan08!

Does anyone who has stayed in farranlea hall know if a cable is needed to get broadband or is it provided or whats the story? Thanks:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Jayeire

Does anyone know anything about "The Village" accommodation???

Yeh, its a dump
    Like a hostel from the 70's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭funki_munkee

Anybody have anything to say about farranlea?? I see it hasnt been mentioned yet! I dont know if thats a Good or bad thing??:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭johnny-fatality

Anybody have anything to say about farranlea?? I see it hasnt been mentioned yet! I dont know if thats a Good or bad thing??:confused:

one lad i know is in there, says its pretty cool.
    and right beside the mardyke i think?
    no excuse to be unfit!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Zed159

Haha, I'm that "one lad" Johnny-Fatality mentioned. Ya Farranlea is pretty good. It's got everything you need. All bills are included in the fee and there's broadband in every room. The hallways are carpeted which may seem like an insignificant detail, but I was at a party in Victoria Lodge on thursday night and on my way back from my beer run I honestly thought I was in a hospital.

The one bad thing I have to say about Farranlea is the chairs and couches. They are those horrible ones with wooden arms, no good for when somebody needs to crash. The seats in Vic Lodge are much more comfortable. But I was told by people that Farranlea is supposed to be party central during the year, especially Block A (where I'm situated).

In response to Hingisfan08!'s question, no, Broadband cable's are not provided. I arrived down last thursday having made that mistake. dragged my laptop down for nothing. Bought a cable yesterday though. Not incredibly expensive, about 20-30 euro.

Hope that was helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Hingisfan08!

Zed159 wrote: »
    Haha, I'm that "one lad" Johnny-Fatality mentioned. Ya Farranlea is pretty good. It's got everything you need. All bills are included in the fee and there's broadband in every room. The hallways are carpeted which may seem like an insignificant detail, but I was at a party in Victoria Lodge on thursday night and on my way back from my beer run I honestly thought I was in a hospital.

The one bad thing I have to say about Farranlea is the chairs and couches. They are those horrible ones with wooden arms, no good for when somebody needs to crash. The seats in Vic Lodge are much more comfortable. But I was told by people that Farranlea is supposed to be party central during the year, especially Block A (where I'm situat
    In response to Hingisfan08!'s question, no, Broadband cable's are not provided. I arrived down last thursday having made that mistake. dragged my laptop down for nothing. Bought a cable yesterday though. Not incredibly expensive, about 20-30 euro.
    Hope that was helpful!

Yeah that was helpful! Thanks! :) where did you buy the cable??

I'm in block a too! Wanted a 4 bed apartment but got a 3 bed one! What about yourself? Have your room mates moved in yet?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

spires is excellent I think anyway great location, lennox's :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Mallox

im hopefully coming to ucc next year and was wondering what the price range is for an apartment where i have my own room and broadband ??? good to start lookin early rite :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Mallox wrote: »
    im hopefully coming to ucc next year and was wondering what the price range is for an apartment where i have my own room and broadband ??? good to start lookin early rite :D

Victoria Mills is around 5500 for the year.

It's a good place to live imo.

Every room is en suite, broadband etc. Management are dead on. Parties all over the shop. I'd recommend.

5500 is a bit high .. anyhting more around 4000 to 4500

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

5500 is a bit high .. anyhting more around 4000 to 4500

A house.

i went to nuig open day and a single room in corrib village is only 4050 for d year .. why is there such a difference .. im going to ucc open day morro so ill get much more info den ... tanx for dat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 slayerdiabolus

i went to nuig open day and a single room in corrib village is only 4050 for d year .. why is there such a difference .. im going to ucc open day morro so ill get much more info den ... tanx for dat

Ha, because its Corrib Village? Did you go in there by any chance? :rolleyes: Its like a run down, prison/dump

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Ha, because its Corrib Village? Did you go in there by any chance? :rolleyes: Its like a run down, prison/dump

But think of the epic parties! That's basically why I'm not allowed even go to Glway next year! Although considering half the people there are from Ennis I'm not too pushed really.

well i never went to corrib village itself so ya i guess it could be a tip ... wats the on campus accomodation like then ... which is better .. wat would ppl recommend for 1st years???

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Celtise

jeez its that time of year again to start thinking about accomm for next year!

ok so just to help ye out who dont no cork:

* The village - its fairly far out from UCC, a good 15-20min walk depending on how long u have to wait at the two traffic lights on the way. its also one of the older ones but it seems to be party central. a friend of mine had some trouble with the management but they caved after awhile and it got sorted so all good.

* farranlea hall - i lived there for two years and i never wanna go back there again. got stuck their the second year because everywhere else got booked up and i couldnt afford deposit at the time and farranlea was all that was left. to be honest there is nothing wrong with the apts really..the odd window that wont close or heater that wont work. the sofas are extremely uncomfortable!!!!! there was never any trouble with security or anything for parties unless it got way out of hand like. i have to say i did not get on with the management at all. the head one was a complete bitch. and you dont get feck all back out of your security deposit. oh and room/bathroom sizes can differ extremely and all fairly small. about 12-13 mins from college going by either orchard or western rd.

* victoria station - avoid at all costs. a run down house is better.

* victoria lodge - supposedly it has become party central this year and theres been no problem with security and the like which is great. have never heard complaints from anyone. the sofas are more comforable than farranlea! majority of first years. about 12-13 mins from college going by either orchard or western rd.

* university hall - great place but have very very very few places there every year and more likely to go to someone on the waiting list.

* victoria mills - my current home! LOVE IT! leather sofas are class (after farranlea its like heaven), balconies if u smoke, large rooms&bathrooms, plenty of storage, cable internet as nearly everywhere but it is fairly slow and unreliable during day/eve when everyone is online! from my experience and friends, no problems with management and they seem to be good at picking people to live together cause all my flatmates are getting on great. oh dishwasher is heaven. 10 wlk to UCC if your taking it easy! oh and right beside centra and dimarios take away and wylam chinese and AIB!

* castlewhite - 2mins from ucc. fairly basic. fast internet though. the only place with no ensuites.

* deans hall - fairly basic again. maybe 5 mins ish from ucc. closet to town, another 5mins or so. wireless internet. not every room ensuite. sercurity are a bitch there.

*the spires - about 5 mins from ucc. near lennoxs. friends that have lived there havent said anything bad about it but then again they havent gone back. and there seems to be a lot of visiting students staying there from things they said. thats all i know about the spires havent really been there much. oh its owned by the same people as farranlea so watch out i would say.

if anyones got any question sure ask it and if i can answer i will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

You seem to have quite the liking for sofa's! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Celtise

you live in farranlea for two years and then talk to me about sofas.

also consider the amount of times you come home polluted and end up sleeping on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

lol Celtise is right about the sofas in Farranlea - they're awful!

Apart from that, Farranlea is pretty nice. I'd recommend it to people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I'd certainly avoid Deanshall, the accommodation itself is grand (apart from a pretty spartan aesthetic and the dreaded uncomfy couches), but the management are a bunch of kunts, not to put too fine a point on it. The apartment checks are ridiculously nit picky, you're more or less expected to have the place cleaned to a professional standard (we once failed the ENTIRE inspection because we'd forgotten to clean the inside of the microwave). And yes, it is €6 to do a wash and a dry. Also there's no dishwasher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

farranlea hall - i lived there for two years and i never wanna go back there again. got stuck their the second year because everywhere else got booked up and i couldnt afford deposit at the time and farranlea was all that was left. to be honest there is nothing wrong with the apts really..the odd window that wont close or heater that wont work. the sofas are extremely uncomfortable!!!!! there was never any trouble with security or anything for parties unless it got way out of hand like. i have to say i did not get on with the management at all. the head one was a complete bitch. and you dont get feck all back out of your security deposit. oh and room/bathroom sizes can differ extremely and all fairly small. about 12-13 mins from college going by either orchard or western rd.

Agreed! My God there are no words to describe them! Its actually a cool place to live and there's plenty of fun to be had, but the management alone would make you think twice. Expect zero deposit back (even if your apartment is spotless minus the couple of 'blemishes' that naturally would occur over the year), unexpected fines and charges that make no sense. Basically I think a certain person there likes being they way they are! So much unnecessary negativity!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

Brookfield apartments : Jennings(3star) pool is ok,
    Brookfield (2star) its a dump! The whole apartment was really really damp, carpets were disgustingly dirty! Cracks all along the side of the front door so insects came in daily!! Smell of sewerage as soon as you turn on the hot shower! Oh and the bins were rarely emptied!! The smell wafted everywhere!
    Over all, they could really do with a shaping up!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 launemeter

Hey guys,

need some help. also just about looking for a nice stay.
    Anyone able to give me some infos about south mall court or abbey wharf?
    Would you recommend me to live in farranlea hall. After all I've read I'm not sure if it's really advisable to go there.

South mall looks like a nice place. What you think?

Would be great if I'd get some quick answers as I'm already a bit late applying for an apartement:) But as I stay for the whole academic year I wanne find a good one and not a piece of ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭funki_munkee

Id recommend farranlea hall. Stayed there last year and found it good. Lot of Space nice rooms with ensuites etc. Didnt find the management too bad, they seemed grand anytime I had to go into the reception about anything. Mind you didnt have any really important run ins with them so?? Also its a popular place with students and I found that alot of people from my course were staying there too which is always a plus. All the student accomodation is kinda located within the same area on the far side of the college. However south mall and abbey wharf are in the town. This might mean there is less of an atmosphere but youll be nearer to pubs and clubs. Dont know much about those two places to be honest but hope it shed some light on your farranlea problem!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

University Hall>Mills>Spires>Farranlea>Lodge>Village>Station>Dean's Hall>Castle****e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Casper89

Omg I was just on the UCC accomm page looking at the pics again...did they take the blue window seats outta Castlewhite??!:eek:

I loved them...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

where do the international student usually stay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭deisedude

D.R cowboy wrote: »
    where do the international student usually stay?

They stay anywhere and everywhere really. No specific place for them as far as i know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Benhonan

I think a lot of them end up in the Spires. Or that place on Barrack Street, which is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭deisechap09

seen as im soo late theres only faranlea left...i think??would i be better off trying off-campus or going to faranlea? Do many first years go there?ill be moving on my own so il need to make new friends and reckon it would be easier in a place full of first year than off-campus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 UCCmed09

seen as im soo late theres only faranlea left...i think??would i be better off trying off-campus or going to faranlea? Do many first years go there?ill be moving on my own so il need to make new friends and reckon it would be easier in a place full of first year than off-campus.

farranlea is very nice!a few of my friends were there last year and were very happy!i think vic mills+uni hall are the nicest...after that i would pick farranlea..appartments are very nice and yes plenty of 1st yrs!

• Advertisement
Advertisement