Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Will Mayo have a strong team for the weekend? Missing many?

Everyone bar C O Connor,A Moran,K Higgins,A O Shea,A Dillon by the sounds of it. Kerry will be missing M O Se , A O'Mahony, D Walsh, P Crowley, Brian Kelly, J O'Donoghue, A Maher K Donaghy,C Cooper,D O'Sullivan so its really a game Mayo should be winning.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Everyone bar C O Connor,A Moran,K Higgins,A O Shea,A Dillon by the sounds of it. Kerry will be missing M O Se , A O'Mahony, D Walsh, P Crowley, Brian Kelly, J O'Donoghue, A Maher K Donaghy,C Cooper,D O'Sullivan so its really a game Mayo should be winning.

Need to win it, going to be a tough division this year, Kerry seem to start the league slow for the last few years I think, so might be a "good" time to get them! Though if what turned out against Rossie turns up on Kerry then we won't be celebrating a win.
    Many going down, still planning on going but could have to cancel it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Is Keith Higgins definitely out?I thought I heard Noel Connelly mention it recently that he should be fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

seligehgit wrote: »
    Is Keith Higgins definitely out?I thought I heard Noel Connelly mention it recently that he should be fit.

Keith was training recently and should be starting. Tom Parsons is definitely out also.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Mayo Club 51

Keith was training recently and should be starting. Tom Parsons is definitely out also.

Is Tom Parsons injured does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Mayo Club 51

Seems to be a fairly big crowd heading down to Killarney. Anyone that's heading down Saturday we will be having a meet up in "Tatler Jacks" on Saturday night. We have some details posted on the site if anyone's interested, http://mayoclub51.com/killarney-come/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Is Tom Parsons injured does anyone know?

He's out for a few more weeks apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Seems to be a fairly big crowd heading down to Killarney. Anyone that's heading down Saturday we will be having a meet up in "Tatler Jacks" on Saturday night. We have some details posted on the site if anyone's interested, http://mayoclub51.com/killarney-come/

Just out of interest the Tatler is a Crokes pub ; if you want to curry favour just tell them that James O'Donoghue [Legion] is over-rated ; however speaking ill of the god that is the Gooch is pretty much a barring offence.

I know that you expect the beal bocht from us Kerry folk - but there will be a serious chunk of the more established Kerry players on the missing list, so I wouldnt be too surprised if Mayo pick up 2 points in Killarney (us Kerry-folk is always mad generous to tourists, like)

The general feeling in Kerry is not that positive towards Mayo at the moment - I'd almost say that the liking for Mayo is at a historic low after the Limerick affair - even some of the mildest/calmest Kerry supporters have been irked by comments of the Mayo folk (a lad I know who has relatives in Mayo said over the dead season that Donegal folk were clearly more popular than Mayo folk in spite of Donegal tree climbing antics which should give you some idea of where Mayo stock is held in the Kingdom the last few months [I think an agree to disagree is probably the most diplomatic approach over the league weekend; I'm sure it won't be long before cordial relations are re-established]

Give it a month or two and the status quo of if not Kerry then Mayo ; especially ahead of Dublin/Nordies/Cork. I have been present in conversation in the Kingdom where people have shook their head and wondered in awe of the support Mayo get despite their lack of success.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,006 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Just out of interest the Tatler is a Crokes pub ; if you want to curry favour just tell them that James O'Donoghue [Legion] is over-rated ; however speaking ill of the god that is the Gooch is pretty much a barring offence.

I know that you expect the beal bocht from us Kerry folk - but there will be a serious chunk of the more established Kerry players on the missing list, so I wouldnt be too surprised if Mayo pick up 2 points in Killarney (us Kerry-folk is always mad generous to tourists, like)

The general feeling in Kerry is not that positive towards Mayo at the moment - I'd almost say that the liking for Mayo is at a historic low after the Limerick affair - even some of the mildest/calmest Kerry supporters have been irked by comments of the Mayo folk (a lad I know who has relatives in Mayo said over the dead season that Donegal folk were clearly more popular than Mayo folk in spite of Donegal tree climbing antics which should give you some idea of where Mayo stock is held in the Kingdom the last few months [I think an agree to disagree is probably the most diplomatic approach over the league weekend; I'm sure it won't be long before cordial relations are re-established]

Give it a month or two and the status quo of if not Kerry then Mayo ; especially ahead of Dublin/Nordies/Cork. I have been present in conversation in the Kingdom where people have shook their head and wondered in awe of the support Mayo get despite their lack of success.

I would not agree with that at all.

Since Limerick the attitude of Kerry people seems to be the usual patronizing sympathy.

And that will only change if Mayo actually beat Kerry in the championship

Dislike of the nordies seems to be at the usual level

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭yew_tree

I couldn't care less how Kerry people feel about us. Kerry people love Mayo because they beat us every time we meet in championship. The same feeling is one I often get when I visit other counties "Oh your from Mayo....ah sure ye have lovely footballers....ye might do it someday" - is the usual pat on the back, patronising and often mocking sentiment....would love to be hated as that means you are usually winning everything.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

yew_tree wrote: »
    I couldn't care less how Kerry people feel about us. Kerry people love Mayo because they beat us every time we meet in championship. The same feeling is one I often get when I visit other counties "Oh your from Mayo....ah sure ye have lovely footballers....ye might do it someday" - is the usual pat on the back, patronising and often mocking sentiment....would love to be hated as that means you are usually winning everything.
    It would be nice to try out that feeling for a few years alright. But I wouldn't like it that way all the time:P

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Boom__Boom wrote: »

Patronising even when winning. !!!!
    Dear god . Kerry aren't exactly the most liked group of supporters out there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭wackokid

Kerry arrogant? not likely...............sure haven't they the life of Reilly these days.

BTW............is Cillian O Connor playing on Sunday. Some knob of a reporter called Orla O Connor in today's Examiner has him playing but according to the rules he is suspended AFAIK.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/mayos-oconnor-sounds-warning-on-players-quitting-jobs-to-play-309512.html

What is going on, at all, at all.............OMG

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

wackokid wrote: »
    Kerry arrogant? not likely...............sure haven't they the life of Reilly these days.

BTW............is Cillian O Connor playing on Sunday. Some knob of a reporter called Orla O Connor in today's Examiner has him playing but according to the rules he is suspended AFAIK.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/mayos-oconnor-sounds-warning-on-players-quitting-jobs-to-play-309512.html

What is going on, at all, at all.............OMG
    Great piece there from Cillian. Its plain mad players giving up their jobs to play football.

I presume the Kerry lad has taken a leave of absence and can return to that job sometime in the future or has some other very good prospects lined up (business or something)

Can you imagine if the player got a serious injury this week and that was his footballing career over.

Is he playing or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

wackokid wrote: »
    Is he playing or not?

He's definitely not playing, the journalist is mistaken.

He's definitely not playing, the journalist is mistaken.

Thanks for that. Did I say Orla O Connor?
    I did of course and my apologies to her if she exists............the journo is
    ORLA BANNON..........who needs a refresher course along with Fogarty and a few other hacks posing as sports reporters in the Zaminer. Sack em all, I say.

http://mayogaablog.com/?p=15980

There has been a few hints of a black away jersey making a debut on Sunday, has anyone heard anything?

I don't think it will happen but would love to see it instead of the red top ( which looks fine but a change would be nice ).

Kerry team announced for Sunday,pretty decent line out.

1. Brendan Kealy

2. Pa Kilkenny

3. Mark Griffin

4. Shane Enright

5. Jonathan Lyne

6. Fionn Fitzgerald

7. Paul Murphy

8. David Moran (C)

9. Bryan Sheehan

10. Michael Geaney

11. Kieran O’Leary

12. Johnny Buckley

13. Stephen O’Brien

14. Paul Geaney

15. Barry John Keane

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭glack

ColeTrain wrote: »
    http://mayogaablog.com/?p=15980

There has been a few hints of a black away jersey making a debut on Sunday, has anyone heard anything?

I don't think it will happen but would love to see it instead of the red top ( which looks fine but a change would be nice ).

Definitely black! Apparently Elverys had mistakenly uploaded an instagram video earlier with the new jersey featured. Still have a picture up with a few of the players wearing black shorts and socks with lime green stripes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭glack

The Mayo Senior Football Team to face Kerry this weekend is as follows:

1. Robbie Hennelly - Breaffy

2. Stephen Coen - Hollymount/Carramore

3. Kevin Keane - Westport

4. Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis (Capt.)

5. Lee Keegan - Westport

6. Chris Barrett - Belmullet

7. Patrick Durcan - Castlebar Mitchels

8. Seamus O’Shea - Breaffy

9. Donal Vaughan - Ballinrobe

10. Kevin McLoughlin - Knockmore

11. Adam Gallagher - Mayo Gaels

12. Jason Doherty - Burrishoole

13. Evan Regan - Ballina Stephenites

14. Alan Freeman - Aghamore

15. Mark Ronaldson - Shrule/Glencorrib

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

glack wrote: »

5. Lee Keegan - Westport

The all new All Blacks!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

are we on tv?

glack wrote: »

5. Lee Keegan - Westport

Thought Stephen Coen would be playing at centre half back,Donal Vaughan at full back...tad surprised.Delighted Adam Gallagher is getting a start.

irishgeo wrote: »
    are we on tv?

Yes it's on TG4 at 2.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Thought Stephen Coen would be playing at centre half back,Donal Vaughan at full back...tad surprised.Delighted Adam Gallagher is getting a start.

Vaughan looked solid at full back in the FBD but realistically can't see him staying there.

Agree with you on Gallagher, he's a great prospect and hopefully he can pick up where he left off this time last year. Also looking forward to seeing Regan and Durcan in action.
    With the return of Captain Higgins you'd have to be happy enough with that team, we're definitely capable of taking two points Sunday.

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Vaughan looked solid at full back in the FBD but realistically can't see him staying there.

Agree with you on Gallagher, he's a great prospect and hopefully he can pick up where he left off this time last year. Also looking forward to seeing Regan and Durcan in action.
    With the return of Captain Higgins you'd have to be happy enough with that team, we're definitely capable of taking two points Sunday.

Yeah delighted Evan Regan and Patrick Durcan are getting a start too.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

I can see barrett and coen switching positions. Looking forward to see how regan gets on. Hes has bags of potential

• Registered Users Posts: 22 anoh77

Decent line up, good chance for Regan/Gallagher/Ronaldson to show they're viable options come next summer. Division One is seriously strong this year, so getting points on the board early is important to avoid getting dragged into a relegation battle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Always_Running

With new management it's hard to know what will be Mayos strongest 15 this year. Dillon,A Moran are more likely to be impact subs while Gallagher,Regan are good enough to hold down starting spots as his Durcan in defence. S Coen a good player but I think it's a little too soon to expect him to make the step up yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement