Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Running with the birds or for the birds?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Marthastew wrote: »
    Mr stew is going to let me know whether I'm fit enough

I hope the answer is in the affirmative ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

digger2d2 wrote: »
    I hope the answer is in the affirmative ;):D
    Poor Mr Stew has been under my spell since he met me so he has no choice but to think I'm fit:)
    And apparently my V02max is high and my resting heart rate is low so I'm not too bad in the running department, Connemara here we come:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,491 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Did they give you a theoretical peak marathon time as part of the vo2max test?

Did they give you a theoretical peak marathon time as part of the vo2max test?

No, they just gave the level; 61.7, ml/kg/min, it was a fairly basic report and if it hadn't been free I don't think I would have forked out €220 for it. Having said that it is nice to get confirmation that all this running is not only good for the soul it's good for the body.

I really need to push myself and work on speedwork over the summer and now I have scientific evidence that I should be well able to do it:)

Mr. Stew found some calculator that gives my theoretical marathon time, according to him I'm lazy and 3.34 is a miserable PB:p
    He's getting his test done tomorrow, of course I'll be devastated if he does better than me

Monday March 26th
    Rest day
    After a hectic, busy weekend of two late nights (well, 1am, which used to be early but it's considered late now) and numerous ups and downs such as my oldest son losing a rugby cup final (but winning the league), my youngest having to defend himself after he was thrown a punch in a GAA match (the karate lessons have paid for themselves:)) and my middle son's birthday party, not to mention the fact that both Mr Stew and I are trying to pretend we have no taper madness, I woke up exhausted on Monday and took a true proper rest day, no trip to the gym and only a very small dip in the sea becasue the sun was shining.

Tuesday March 27th
    6.07 miles 8.57 pace

I woke feeling great after my rest day.
    Having not really followed a proper plan up to now I decided that I would follow P&D's last week before marathon in order to avoid the panic long run/speedwork mistake.
    Dip in the 40Foot followed by 45 minute lower body and core class with the drill sergeant and then a gloriuos run up to Killiney, legs feeling strong and happy:)
    Wednesday March 26th
    Dress rehearsal race, 7.86 miles with 2 miles at PMP
    Dip in the 40 foot and then off I went on my happy way back to the hills in Killiney, I ran the two PMP miles at 8.30 pace even though my ultra pace will be approx 8.45, feeling good:)
    Thursday March 26th
    3.57 miles, 9.17 pace
    Today was supposed to be a rest day but I looked at my total miles for the year so far and worked out that if I added in just over three miles today along with my planned 4miles tomorrow and Saturday then that will bring me to just over 700miles when I cross the finish line after Conn Ultra (so... no pressure then....)
    I started the day with a dip in the 40 foot then I had to fly to the shops to buy more food as I seem to think there will be no shops in Galway or food in the hotel we are staying in:)
    I arrived home just in time to jump on my bike and fly down to the gym for a lower body class before my run, I was flying along the road, my head full of lists and next thing... Boom, I'm on the road under my bike:eek::eek::eek::eek: I hit a pothole and my left leg slipped off the pedal and I totally wiped out. luckily the car behind me stopped in time and as I picked myself up off the road all I could think was "Please let there be no injuries, Please let there be no injuries...", well the good news is that there are no injuries; some grazes and some bruising but my trusty legs seem to have not let me down yet again:)
    I pulled myslef together, making sure that nobody I knew had seen me;) and hopped back on my bike, which apart from a crooked saddle seemed to be fine. I cyclced very slowly to the gym and did the class in order to see if I was ok, I also felt that I'd be better off moving to avoid getting too sore. The class went fine so I decided to head out and run the West pier, my legs were fine.
    As luck would have it I had booked a massage so I asked her to take it easy on the bruises and cuts, I ended my morning feeling calm once again....
    And then I went to the shops again and bought some more food:)

Mr. Stew, my boys and I are lucky enough to be heading down to Connemara tomorrow, (I've abandoned the packing for a little while) we're collecting my sister and her family from the airport in a minivan and away to the West we go.
    We have family in Galway and my other sister and cousin are also staying in the hotel. My youngest son turns 9 on Saturday so it's happy days and lots of excitement in our house:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Good news that the fall brought no harm. That's enough to send someone only suffering from from mild taper madness demented!!

So the big question is are you and mr stew going to be able to slip away from mammy/daddy duties on sunday night to join us on the town?

I arrived home just in time to jump on my bike and fly down to the gym for a lower body class before my run, I was flying along the road, my head full of lists and next thing... Boom, I'm on the road under my bike:eek::eek::eek::eek: I hit a pothole and my left leg slipped off the pedal and I totally wiped out. luckily the car behind me stopped in time and as I picked myself up off the road all I could think was "Please let there be no injuries, Please let there be no injuries...", well the good news is that there are no injuries; some grazes and some bruising but my trusty legs seem to have not let me down yet again:)

:eek: Pheew... That was a close one, I'm glad you're okay. We'll see you at the weekend and safe driving:)

menoscemo wrote: »
    Good news that the fall brought no harm. That's enough to send someone only suffering from from mild taper madness demented!!

So the big question is are you and mr stew going to be able to slip away from mammy/daddy duties on sunday night to join us on the town?
    We certainly hope so:) we're having a big family dinner at 7 and then we're planning on getting one of my relations to mind the boys and then we'll jump in a taxi into town, where are we meeting? I'm really looking forward to a good night out.

where are we meeting? I'm really looking forward to a good night out.

Not sure yet. Definitely won't be going to the official dinner thing this year so no doubt somewhere in the city centre.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Not sure yet. Definitely won't be going to the official dinner thing this year so no doubt somewhere in the city centre.

And hopefully somewhere that sells real Guinness and not that made in the back shed craft sh1te :D;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Good luck Marthastew. If I see you speedy ultras flying past me I'll give you a shout :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Jeez, hope you're still ok after your fall - very scary! Hope Sunday's race goes really well for you, have a good one!:)

Friday March 30th
    4 miles easy as per plan

After a bad nights sleep I was in two minds as to whether to head out the door this morning but I'm glad I did, it was much colder but the breeze cleared the cobwebs and apart from a little soreness after my near miss on my bike yesterday my legs feel great.
    The reason for my lack of sleep? I woke during the night to find a text from my favourite sister who was supposed to be landing today, she can't make it home because her son is too sick to travel (not life threatening), along with the fact that I was really looking forward to seeing her I spent the night rethinking the logistics of my three boys getting to the Finish Line etc

After a hectic morning running round replanning, packing, cleaning, counselling the cat we are now on our way to Connemara, yippee:D
    I can honestly say that I'm really looking forward to crossing the Finish Line (and even the start line) on Sunday.
    And especially the night out;)
    Let the madness begin!!

racheljev wrote: »
    Jeez, hope you're still ok after your fall - very scary! Hope Sunday's race goes really well for you, have a good one!:)

Thanks a million, hope you're on the mend

littlebug wrote: »
    Good luck Marthastew. If I see you speedy ultras flying past me I'll give you a shout :)

I won't be doing any flying I'd say but the forecast is good so we should all have a great day, fingers crossed and very best of luck to you too

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Cutex

Good Luck on Sunday!

Can't believe you had that nasty fall and just bounced back up again to get on with training:eek: You're some woman!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Good luck on Sunday, see you at the start line.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Good luck on Sunday! I hope you stay germ-free till then!!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Best of luck, no doubt you'll have a great race report.

Saturday March 31st
    4 easy miles

This time 9 years ago I had just successfully completed another type of endurance event; the birth of my third son:D
    So today is quite naturally all about him. He's the speedy one so he was delighted to take his brand new birthday asics for a test drive with Mr Stew and I for our loosen the legs jaunt around Connemara. We were blessed with fantastic scenery and perfect conditions which are set to last through tomorrow.
    Proclaiming his new asics to be very bouncy he told us that in 9 years time he'd be able to join us in the Connemarathon.
    I'm not sure what tomorrow will bring and I go from being extremely calm to very nervous but so far we've had a super time here out West.
    I'm sure tomorrow will be amazing. To top it all off we just collected our numbers, my favourite number is 3 (yes, I'm that kind of superstitious person) and my race number for tomorrow is.....
    39333:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Let the madness begin!!

Should that not be Let the madness end:D

Delighted to hear there was no problem after your fall.

Best of luck tomorrow to you and Mr Stew...i hope it all goes better than planned for you both!!

Looking forward to reading the Race report next week! i think you should compile a book with lots of Race reports!!

Great peformance today.
    5:49 with the last two miles being the fastest, 6th lady I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

MS- unbelieveable time - particularly for someone who was chit chatting (including some French banter...) the whole way around (or at least until yourself and CL put the hammer down at Leenane).

To run that stong for the final 3rd was an awesome run....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Brilliant Marthastew!
    I think I saw yourself and CL flying up to the finish line.... ( at least the times match so I'll assume it was you) but holy moly you two are running godesses! 39. 3 miles and there you are with a sprint finishes and HUGE smiles :D absolutely fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Awesome day for you!! Once again you and CL tag-team the applause....so happy for you. You truly do rock in every respect! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Brilliant stuff and you looked in flying form. Sorry if we scared the crap out of you roaring you on at the finishing chute :D. Hope the hangover isn't too bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done O, amazing time. :)

jcsmum wrote: »
    Well done O, amazing time. :)

Thanks a million, I'm still on a high:D:D:D:D

Delighted to see your training is going so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Well done you!:) Fantastic time. Fair play to you. What's next on the list?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Well done. Just fantastic your reaction coming up to the finish had us laughing you looked so happy :)

Advertisement