Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭BandMember

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Hi all - "completion work in progress" and cabinets installed a few weeks back ....
    Any idea typically how close that is to being available?

How long is a piece of string?? The exchange I'm waiting on has been like that since last summer! :(:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

This is kind of a random question I guess.

Below is a random diagram of my local village. It shows the location of the main telephone exchange and new fibre cabinet which was built ~ 2 - 3 weeks ago. If I enter phone numbers of all the houses along the map into the digiweb line checker, they all point to the local exchange. ( speed attainables/distance)

For e.g. the houses in the estate where the new cabinet was built show 30Mb, my house shows 40Mb, the houses furthur up the road in the next estate show 25Mb. The ones close to telephone exchange show 70Mb.

My question is what happens when the cabinet goes live and what determines how speeds are calculated. As it stands now according to the line checker every house is direct fed. I asked Eircom a long time ago and they told me I was fed to the cabinet ( there's an older phone cabinet beside where the new one was built ) , but more recently when an Engineer came out he said I was direct fed.

It's all fairly confusing to me, I'm prequel-ed for 40/10 so I can't complain. If I was connected to the cabinet I'd get the full speed as it's right outside my driveway.

Forgot to mention the cabinet is not yet live, the exchange is and I'm scheduled to be connected by an engineer next Wednesday.

Thanks for any help

iNLgsBO.png

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Mass may know this one but I would think normally you would be excluded from order eVDSL because of the cabs presence. In early areas there exchanges were not enabled due to regulatory processes so eVDSL always followed FTTC VDSL.

Moving you from one DSLAM to another would probably be systematically messy, your copper path is yours but having a port on rack A doesnt entitle you to a port on rack B automatically. In terms of actual work it'd be easy enough assuming the filter in the FTTC cabs blocks 17Mhz as connecting it would just block the exchange and connect the cab in one action.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The following exchange cabinets were enabled in the last week:

(premises count in brackets)

Bridgend, Co. Donegal (346)
    Bennettsbridge, Co. Kilkenny (357)
    Carlingford, Co. Louth (516)
    Croom, Co. Limerick (497)
    Kiltormer, Co. Galway (101)
    Newtowncunningham, Co. Donegal (580)
    Riverstick, Co. Cork (109)

Additional cabinets were enabled in:

Ballymore Eustace, Co. Kildare, cab 001 (156)
    Glenville, Co. Cork, cab 001 (89)
    Kilkenny, Co. Kilkenny, cab 058 (99)
    Kiltimagh, Co. Mayo, cab 002 (240)
    Mountmellick, Co. Laois, cab 014 (69)

A total of 3,360 premises were connected this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

Does this mean that these premises can now get efibre or is there another wait?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

garroff wrote: »
    It is live as of now. The lines to the above premises are efibre enabled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Ladysbridge, Co. Cork seems to have been unchanged for ages now.
    CMR1_005

Fibre Build commenced - completion work is in progress

Anybody got any further info on the status of this cabinet?

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Ladysbridge, Co. Cork seems to have been unchanged for ages now.

Anybody got any further info on the status of this cabinet?

One of the eir reps on here was able to tell me a go live date a few weeks before the map updated. In the talk to...eir section at the top of the page.

Broadway, Co. Wexford (198)
    Kiltyclogher, Co. Leitrim (226)
    Liscarney, Co. Mayo (80)
    Lisselton, Co. Kerry (307)
    Manorhamilton, Co. Leitrim (811)
    Upper Glanmire, Co. Cork (78)

Straffan, Co. Kildare, cab 002 (82)

Fibre-to-the-Home (FTTH) servies were enabled in:

Cavan Town, Co. Cavan, cab 025 (74)
    Greystones, Co. Wicklow, cab 010 & 059 (278)
    Rathedmond, Co. Sligo, cab 039 (169)

A total of 2,303 premises were enabled in the last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

marno21 wrote: »

Liscarney, Co. Mayo (80)

Out of curiosity, where do you get this information?

• Advertisement

chewed wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, where do you get this information?
    http://www.openeir.ie/Techbytes/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Liscarney, Co. Mayo (80)

I suppose the FTTH speeds quoted are typos. They all say up to 100Mb/s when it should be 1000Mb/s.

I suppose the FTTH speeds quoted are typos. They all say up to 100Mb/s when it should be 1000Mb/s.

Are those FTTH places part of the first 100,000 on the blue line scheme also are they the first or is there more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

daraghwal wrote: »
    Are those FTTH places part of the first 100,000 on the blue line scheme also are they the first or is there more?

I believe that they are not a part of the rural scheme but part of the 66 town rollout announced by eir in 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭mdfire

Does it take longer to upgrade the exchange than the surrounding cabinets? My local exchange in Carlingford is apparently live in the last week but I live 4k away so need to wait for the cabinet CF01_001 to be upgraded. I saw that another cabinet in the village (CF01_003) has had a taller cabinet installed beside in the last week or so.

Also is it just a case of them installing a new cabinet or do they have to physically have to lay the fibre cables all the way out to the my local one or is it likely that is already done. Theres been a van for KN networks working in the area for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

garroff wrote:

Good question lol. Not in my experience. 😉😑

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

KN have been busy installing fibre optic cables from Enniscorthy to Oilgate and through towards Wexford.
    That's the first time I saw a run of that length being installed.

zerks wrote: »
    KN have been busy installing fibre optic cables from Enniscorthy to Oilgate and through towards Wexford.
    That's the first time I saw a run of that length being installed.

I seen a bit of work going on in the Monfin/Bree Area too. KN and openeir vans all over the place in Enniscorthy at the moment!!

Lots of them around Ballydesmond/Rathmore area too. They're being kept on their toes at least.

Lots of them around Ballydesmond/Rathmore area too. They're being kept on their toes at least.

Yeah. Nice to see some work being done at last.

• Advertisement

Apologies if these questions have already been asked.

I see from the eFibre rollout map on Eir site that it will be available in my estate by end of 2016.

1. I have an inactive Landline. Do I need to get this reactivated now or should I wait until eFibre is active in the area?
    2. When eFibre is up and running, will Eir be the only provider? I.e. Do I need to purchase my broadband package from Eir, or will other providers such as Virgin and Sky be available?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

chewed wrote: »
    Apologies if these questions have already been asked.

I see from the eFibre rollout map on Eir site that it will be available in my estate by end of 2016.

1. I have an inactive Landline. Do I need to get this reactivated now or should I wait until eFibre is active in the area?
    2. When eFibre is up and running, will Eir be the only provider? I.e. Do I need to purchase my broadband package from Eir, or will other providers such as Virgin and Sky be available?

Don't trust that map - it's notoriously useless. Use this one instead: http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/

1. Probably better off waiting until eFibre is actually active, because otherwise you would be paying for a landline that is otherwise no use to you.
    2. No - it's not exclusive to eir. You won't get Virgin (they have their own infrastructure). eir and Vodafone will activate the line and provide services to you. Sky will activate the phone and give you service, but only if you take their TV package. I don't know about other providers (pure, digiweb, etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If the line has a dialtone they can just turn it on electrically, if its been down for more than a year and thus now is dead then you need a new line provide, this adds 2wks+ to the setup time so you might want to order a new line early.

Bear in mind predictions are rough so if your exchange says 6wks to go and you order a line it may not actually be upgraded within the following two months or more.

EDIT: Very late response as I'd left a tab open.

Thanks for the response. Yes, I was using that site - http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/. I also met the workmen in the estate laying down cables and they said it would be a few months so fingers crossed.

Broadband reach

Eir also came under fire for an online marketing campaign in which the company claimed it could offer 100Mb fibre broadband in Wicklow.
    A complainant accused the former state-owned telecoms provider of offering misleading information as the advertised speeds were not available in many parts of the county, such as Arklow, where there was no suitable infrastructure.
    The ASAI upheld the complaint and ordered Eir not to repeat the ad as the figures were based only on the roughly-70% of Wicklow town that had access to the claimed internet speeds.

http://www.thejournal.ie/conor-mcgregor-budweiser-2785226-May2016/

A very impressive week for open eir:

Broadford, Co. Clare (189)
    Ballickmoyler, Co. Laois (111*)
    Ballinahowen, Co. Westmeath (104)
    Carrigans, Co. Donegal (240)
    Donohill, Co. Tipperary (55)
    Drimoleague, Co. Cork (373)
    Drinagh, Co. Cork (107)
    Glenamaddy, Co. Galway (276)
    Gowran, Co. Kilkenny (267)
    Kealkill, Co. Cork (201)
    Killala, Co. Mayo (415)
    Killenard, Co. Offaly (286)
    Lanesboro, Co. Longford (415)
    Manorcunningham, Co. Donegal (235)
    St Johnston, Co. Donegal (806)
    Fenagh, Co. Carlow (201)

Aughrim, Co. Wicklow, cab 001 (136)
    Ballickmoyler, Co. Laois, cab 002 (111*)
    Ballivor, Co. Meath, cab 002 (103)
    Carnew, Co. Wicklow, cab 001, 002 (193)
    Dunmanway, Co. Cork, cab 003, 004 (128)
    Johnstown, Co. Kildare, cab 002 (127)
    Killygordon, Co. Donegal, cab 001 (107)
    Kilmacthomas, Co. Waterford, cab 001 (221)
    Kilrush, Co. Clare, cab 001, 002, 003, 004, 005, 006 (626)
    Rathdrum, Co. Wicklow, cab 002, 004 (84)
    Ramelton, Co. Donegal, cab 002 (159)

A total of 6,617 premises were enabled this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 cool666

KN were right outside my house today putting down the cables. In the Ardagh Limerick area so hopefully up and running on fibre soon

cool666 wrote: »
    KN were right outside my house today putting down the cables. In the Ardagh Limerick area so hopefully up and running on fibre soon
    Were they digging up the road?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

cool666 wrote: »

that's either the preparation work for the FTTH rural scheme or it's laying fiber for the FTTC cabinet in the village.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 cool666

Ya they had a digger with them and lots of fibre.It look like they were going from pole to pole outside the houses.

Advertisement