Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Irish rugby truly the beacon of inclusiveness it is purported to be?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭jacothelad

stephen_n wrote: »

I wasn't sure which schools were and weren't fee paying in the north, thanks for that, so probably more than 50% of the team then come from non fee paying schools.

Fee paying for secondary age pupils in N.I. is limited to those who are boarders afaik. This was an attempt to prevent people gaining places for their children at certain schools simply because they had plenty of cash. The boarding element made it more difficult and more expensive. Methodist College once had a boarding department of some 300 pupils but this was discontinued a few years ago so 'Methody' no longer has fee paying pupils in the over 11 years of age. There are fee paying prep schools afaik.

A friend of mine sent his rather thick son to Campbell College as a boarder while living only 2 miles away just to get him a place. He may as well have stayed at home for all the good that he gained from it. There is still an element of the private sector of education but it is much reduced. All the local players would most likely however have attended a grammar school as rugby isn't really played in State Secondary schools to any great extent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

Here's an article Ewan MacKenna wrote a couple of years back about then Kildare Gaelic football manager Kieran McGeeney, after Kildare had been thrashed by Dublin in the 2013 Leinster semi-final.

http://gaa.eir.ie/experience-speaks/2013/07/01/man-and-ball-lilies-have-short-memories

For those not familiar with Kildare football, McGeeney did what I would consider to be a fine job in his six seasons in charge, reaching five All-Ireland quarter-finals and one All-Ireland semi-final. However a common theme in his years in charge was that Kildare never managed to beat one of the top five or six teams in the country in championship football. They never won a major trophy in his time in charge - a couple of O'Byrne Cups (the Leinster pre-season competition) and a Division 2 League title being the only silverware achieved.

So in some ways Kildare were similar to the Irish rugby team, except with a bit less success.

Ewan writes about McGeeney's huge contribution to Kildare football, how it was wrong for the media to be sticking the metaphorical knife into him and the team when they were down, and how his tenure should be judged "in the round", as it were.

I think it's a very balanced, measured and nuanced article myself,and I found myself agreeing with pretty much all of it, even if it's clear that it's likely coloured by Ewan almost certainly having personal friendships or relationships with McGeeney and many of the Kildare players.

It's therefore very interesting to see how the same author now applies such different standards to the Irish rugby team and the media coverage given to it, and comes across as such an extreme parody of those types of critics he previously railed against.

I've quoted some relevant extracts from the article which demonstrate Ewan's double standards.

But toughest of all was to listen to others question what exactly McGeeney has done for Kildare and suggest it’s time he did the decent thing and walk, as if to ignore all the good and all the good days he has brought.

But none of that means Kildare football isn’t in a far better place than when he took over or that he shouldn’t be given far more time to continue to build.

Those who criticise McGeeney point to a lack of trophies. In his time, even Meath have won a Leinster title while he has failed to beat Dublin and fallen to lesser sides. But in a footballing world populated by elite teams that never slip up anymore, that cannot be the only measure of success.

We were also-rans who could barely compete with the middle-tier. Now we hardly ever lose to the middle-tier, even if the very best are beyond Kildare for the moment.

A lot of that is down to McGeeney and it’s wrong to slay him with the same standards he and nobody else set. Besides, it’s not just senior results that count for so much, but the structures that have been put in place.

There’s always a snigger about Kildare being constantly in transition and having endless excuses but that’s a false argument too. In 2008, McGeeney did well to get a poor group to an All Ireland quarter-final and come within a goal of a far superior Cork team.

In 2009 we travelled back to the last eight with far more hope and gave a Tyrone team that had visited the pinnacle a serious game. Then there were the ones that got away. In 2010 we should have won a semi-final with Down and given it to a nervous and underperforming Cork in the final.

In 2011 only Kevin Cassidy’s miracle point stopped them getting another shot at Dublin when there was nothing between the sides. Plenty of disappointments but nothing to complain about there, indeed the only real mark against McGeeney was last year’s defeats to Meath and Cork. They were the only inches given back after the yards he’s made in giant strides.

Yet because of McGeeney, all of that is suddenly redundant and Kildare are judged by the standards of the very elite when that has rarely been the case in the lifetime of anyone from the county. For that he deserves endless praise, not angry questioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Sid Waddel I salute you. Probably the most effective take down post I've ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Define a poor background and I really fail to see what that has to do with anything. The IRFU have made huge strides expanding the game into green areas, such as Tallaght and Clondalkin in the last 20 years, these would be considered poor areas, so your question has no relevance, nor substance.

I agree with your point in general, but I wouldn't class all of both Tallaght and Clondalkin as poor. While there's probably a higher proportion of what's classed as disadvantaged areas in both, there's also a good proportion of people who are quite comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,994 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I agree with your point in general, but I wouldn't class all of both Tallaght and Clondalkin as poor. While there's probably a higher proportion of what's classed as disadvantaged areas in both, there's also a good proportion of people who are quite comfortable.

I'd say he means a new area for the game to break into more so than a poor area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Define a poor background and I really fail to see what that has to do with anything. The IRFU have made huge strides expanding the game into green areas, such as Tallaght and Clondalkin in the last 20 years, these would be considered poor areas, so your question has no relevance, nor substance.

In fairness Clondalkin RFC have been around since the early 70s.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Did anyone look at MacKenna's twitter today?
    Now might not be a great time to bring up last week's great excuse that Ireland were beaten by the second best team in the world.

Yes the linked article is written by tough rugby critic Barry Egan lol
    Waiting to see tomorrow if Argentina one of the great teams or if they were out on their feet from the quarter-final. Our boys can't lose.

Sometimes you just have to sit back and appreciate the quality of the trolling involved

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Sometimes you just have to sit back and appreciate the quality of the trolling involved
    :pac:
    Troll is the perfect word.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭jony_dols

It's funny that the GAA diehards that regularly dismiss rugby as an elitist sport, happen to neglect the fact, that the Dublin football & hurling panel are compromised of leafy suburbanites, some of which were schooled in the dreaded rugger strongholds of 'Rock, 'Nure ect. Summerhill and Darndale, they ain't.

Actually the majority of inter-county players across the country are from 'well-to-do' households, are college/university graduates & hold down well paid jobs.

The truth is, that Soccer (football) is the only true 'sport of the people' and even then, we can't field a team of decent Irish born players.

But who really gives two flying F's?! We are fattest nation in Europe, I don't give a s*** what sport young lads & girls play, as long as they aren't sitting around all day doing nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

True, not having a stereotypical D4 accent doesn't necessarily mean you're from a council estate in Jobstown. Most of the big clubs in Dublin are in middle class areas: Vincent's in malahide, Crokes in Stillorgan, Ballyboden in rathfarnham etc. Ok they mightn't be Ailesbury Road but they're hardly rough places. People who try to paint it as a working class sport are fooling themselves. That said, rugby still has a long way to go before it reaches as diverse a population as the GAA does,

• Advertisement

True, not having a stereotypical D4 accent doesn't necessarily mean you're from a council estate in Jobstown. Most of the big clubs in Dublin are in middle class areas: Vincent's in malahide, Crokes in Stillorgan, Ballyboden in rathfarnham etc. Ok they mightn't be Ailesbury Road but they're hardly rough places. People who try to paint it as a working class sport are fooling themselves. That said, rugby still has a long way to go before it reaches as diverse a population as the GAA does,

Vincent's is in Marino. Sylvester's is in Malahide.

Clontarf was were I played my first rugby but I'm not from there. I grew up a bit closer to town ;)

And to be honest where I was from it was never an issue. Plus I originally got involved in rugby when a classmate invited me along. He was involved because his Dad was a former with the club who was involved with coaching. And yes, there were plenty of Paul's and Mount Temple guys playing in our squad - but we were by no means exceptional - they're were even a couple if lads from Coolock playing with us :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,029 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

jony_dols wrote: »
    It's funny that the GAA diehards that regularly dismiss rugby as an elitist sport, happen to neglect the fact, that the Dublin football & hurling panel are compromised of leafy suburbanites, some of which were schooled in the dreaded rugger strongholds of 'Rock, 'Nure ect. Summerhill and Darndale, they ain't.

Actually the majority of inter-county players across the country are from 'well-to-do' households, are college/university graduates & hold down well paid jobs.

The truth is, that Soccer (football) is the only true 'sport of the people' and even then, we can't field a team of decent Irish born players.

But who really gives two flying F's?! We are fattest nation in Europe, I don't give a s*** what sport young lads & girls play, as long as they aren't sitting around all day doing nothing.

The reason a lot of Dublin GAA players are from those areas is because many are likely to be the children or grandchildren of people from the country who moved up to Dublin and settled there.
    Many having jobs in the civil service, Gardai, health services etc.

But as another poster said the diversity of population interested in GAA is still far greater than rugby regardless of where in Dublin they may be from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

jony_dols wrote: »

We can field a team of decent born Irish players. Unfortunately they are competing in the most competitive sport on the planet.
    The comparison for Irish rugby is to the league of Ireland not International soccer or the premiership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Are folks suggesting there are no or vet few university educated players in league of Ireland football?

seachto7 wrote: »
    Are folks suggesting there are no or vet few university educated players in league of Ireland football?
    No one suggested that. Soccer was said that we cant field a decent team of Irish born players. Which is nonsense.
    Irish rugby talent is more comparable to the League of Ireland than the National side in soccer.
    Soccer has global competetiveness. Rugby has nothing near it. The skills and elite fitness to play soccer are not replicated in rugby to the same degree of challenge to the participants.

No one suggested that. Soccer was said that we cant field a decent team of Irish born players. Which is nonsense.
    Irish rugby talent is more comparable to the League of Ireland than the National side in soccer.
    Soccer has global competetiveness. Rugby has nothing near it. The skills and elite fitness to play soccer are not replicated in rugby to the same degree of challenge to the participants.

Soccer and rugby (and GAA) requires different types of fitness - to compare them is to suggest you don't understand fitness. Soccer doesn't require a quantitatively different level of fitness at the elite level than rugby - it requires a qualitatively different type of fitness. Soccer player aren't typically benching 140/150kg! Likewise props aren't running sub 12s for a 100m

Jawgap wrote: »
    Soccer and rugby (and GAA) requires different types of fitness - to compare them is to suggest you don't understand fitness. Soccer doesn't require a quantitatively different level of fitness at the elite level than rugby - it requires a qualitatively different type of fitness. Soccer player aren't typically benching 140/150kg! Likewise props aren't running sub 12s for a 100m

I understand they are different sports with different fitness requirements. What I meant by 'The skills and elite fitness required are not replicated to the same degree of challenge to the participants'
    First part of that, skill. Soccer requires you to kill a ball with one touch, pass with one touch, pass the ball with accuracy to the other players dominant leg. Ireland - Poland game, Aidan McGeady killed a Randolph 65 yard kickout with one touch. No gifs the next day, no comments in the media, why? It's the kind of elite skill you need as a basic to play at International level. Tell me one Irish rugby moment of skill on the ball in this years world cup from the Irish team that would take as long to master?
    Secondly on fitness.
    Look at the Irish players fitness in relation to the fittest guys in their position in rugby.
    There are no such drastic differences in soccer.
    Mike Ross/Cian Healy - Owen Franks
    Devon Toner - Brodie Retallick
    Jordi Murphy - The explosive Shalk Burger
    Dave Kearney - Drew Mitchell
    Cian Healy being clearly off fitness and being allowed to bulk up as he has done would never occur in soccer. You are either elite fit in soccer or you are not playing.
    There is an elite running mobility and speed for rugby that only a few of our players have.
    Our national soccer team and the players in the league of Ireland like in Dundalk are by contrast posessing more of the elite speed and stamina required for soccer.
    Which makes sense as there is such a small pick of athletes for rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

I understand they are different sports with different fitness requirements. What I meant by 'The skills and elite fitness required are not replicated to the same degree of challenge to the participants'
    First part of that, skill. Soccer requires you to kill a ball with one touch, pass with one touch, pass the ball with accuracy to the other players dominant leg. Ireland - Poland game, Aidan McGeady killed a Randolph 65 yard kickout with one touch. No gifs the next day, no comments in the media, why? It's the kind of elite skill you need as a basic to play at International level. Tell me one Irish rugby moment of skill on the ball in this years world cup from the Irish team that would take as long to master?
    Secondly on fitness.
    Look at the Irish players fitness in relation to the fittest guys in their position in rugby.
    Cian Healy being clearly off fitness and being allowed to bulk up as he has done would never occur in soccer. You are either elite fit in soccer or you are not playing.
    There is an elite running mobility and speed for rugby that only a few of our players have.
    Our national soccer team and the players in the league of Ireland like in Dundalk are by contrast posessing more of the elite speed and stamina required for soccer.

I actually don't understsnd what you are talking about. You appear to have created your own scales to measure fitness and skills.
    How long do you think it would take to master the skill of scrummaging? Or turning a ball over at the breakdown. You show a total lack of understanding at what you're actually arguing and go off on some mad tangent about comparable elite fitness or something.
    Your argument seems to be there are less rugby players so therefore they are less skilful. If you actually believe league of Ireland footballers are superior at what they are doing than the national rugby team then you need help.
    The sports are comparable in almost no way whatsoever

Secondly on fitness.

Seriously, I watch my nephews do that and they're only 11.

As for "You are either elite fit in soccer or you are not playing" - again, that isn't always the case.

Plus you're comparing different players at different points in their careers and development.

Finally, I'm loathe to compare sports, but take the set piece in both games - the laws of soccer don't require you to have specialist players on the pitch or forfeit the match.

Bridge93 wrote: »
    I actually don't understsnd what you are talking about. You appear to have created your own scales to measure fitness and skills.
    How long do you think it would take to master the skill of scrummaging? Or turning a ball over at the breakdown. You show a total lack of understanding at what you're actually arguing and go off on some mad tangent about comparable elite fitness or something.
    Your argument seems to be there are less rugby players so therefore they are less skilful. If you actually believe league of Ireland footballers are superior at what they are doing than the national rugby team then you need help.
    The sports are comparable in almost no way whatsoever
    I had said earlier the National rugby team is only comparable to League of Ireland. In terms of mastery of their sport I believe that to be the case.
    If scrummaging is so difficult how come guys like John Hayes can take up the sport in their late teens?
    Simon Shaw started rugby at 16, anything comparable in soccer? Good luck with trying to find a league of Ireland player who didnt play soccer till 16.
    Sorry to burst your bubble but soccer is incredibly more difficult to earn a contract as even a league of Ireland player.
    So yes there is a scale of measurement to compare the sports. How much skills practice required from a young age and how close to your upper levels of fitness do you need to be at.
    As to the poster who has seen 11 year olds kill a ball with one touch, Yes playing against other 11 year olds. Aidan McGeady killed a ball travelling 65 yards with a Polish defender close to him.
    The national soccer team isnt anything close to the same conversation in mastery of their sport as the Irish rugby team.
    We dont have enough players playing or practicing skills long enough per day for that to be the case. New Zealand practice catch-pass far more than our players at the same age.

• Advertisement

I had said earlier the National rugby team is only comparable to League of Ireland. In terms of mastery of their sport I believe that to be the case.
    If scrummaging is so difficult how come guys like John Hayes can take up the sport in their late teens?
    Simon Shaw started rugby at 16, anything comparable in soccer? Good luck with trying to find a league of Ireland player who didnt play soccer till 16.
    Sorry to burst your bubble but soccer is incredibly more difficult to earn a contract as even a league of Ireland player.
    So yes there is a scale of measurement to compare the sports. How much skills practice required from a young age and how close to your upper levels of fitness do you need to be at.
    As to the poster who has seen 11 year olds kill a ball with one touch, Yes playing against other 11 year olds. Aidan McGeady killed a ball travelling 65 yards with a Polish defender close to him.
    The national soccer team isnt anything close to the same conversation in mastery of their sport as the Irish rugby team.
    We dont have enough players playing or practicing skills long enough per day for that to be the case. New Zealand practice catch-pass far more than our players at the same age.
    New Zealand as far less rugby players than we have football players. So I presume that a League of Ireland footballer is better at football than the All Blacks at rugby? By your logic this is the case

I played senior rugby in school and would be on the pitch at 6:30 in the morning doing bleep tests and circuit training while in the gym at the same time on other days. That was for an amateur schools team so don't try and tell me you have any idea what the fitness of a professional rugby player is because you don't have a clue

New Zealand as far less rugby players than we have football players. So I presume that a League of Ireland footballer is better at football than the All Blacks at rugby? By your logic this is the case

I played senior rugby in school and would be on the pitch at 6:30 in the morning doing bleep tests and circuit training while in the gym at the same time on other days. That was for an amateur schools team so don't try and tell me you have any idea what the fitness of a professional rugby player is because you don't have a clue
    I said the Irish rugby team is only really comparable to League of Ireland players not International soccer players.
    Yes I have an idea of the fitness required for professional rugby. Iv read plenty on sports science for many different sports.
    New Zealand are elite in fitness and skill, Ireland are not. We have a few elite players in terms of both fitness and skill.
    To play league of Ireland I think is vastly underestimated in difficulty by yourself actually. It would take much more hours of skills practice than to make the Irish rugby team as a back. I'll even leave forwards out of it.
    I have known two league of Ireland players and they practiced incessantly skills from a young age. One retired now and one still playing.
    I played Gaelic football at club level you seem to think your schools experience somehow gives you insight into the fitness of a pro rugby player? Never hear a GAA player at club level claim to have some insight into inter county level fitness.

I said the Irish rugby team is only really comparable to League of Ireland players not International soccer players.
    Yes I have an idea of the fitness required for professional rugby. Iv read plenty on sports science for many different sports.
    New Zealand are elite in fitness and skill, Ireland are not. We have a few elite players in terms of both fitness and skill.
    To play league of Ireland I think is vastly underestimated in difficulty by yourself actually. It would take much more hours of skills practice than to make the Irish rugby team as a back. I'll even leave forwards out of it.
    I have known two league of Ireland players and they practiced incessantly skills from a young age. One retired now and one still playing.
    I played Gaelic football at club level you seem to think your schools experience somehow gives you insight? Never hear a GAA player at club level claim to have some insight into inter county level fitness.

There is a serious amount of waffle in there. What does 'elite in fitness' even mean? As I said you appear to have made up scales to suit your argument. Elite players in fitness and skill is such a broad, generalised, wishy washy term

I played Leinster underage so I have a fair idea in a small window of what a professional set up does full time.
    I'm fully aware how difficult League of Ireland is, you're the one belittling the abilities of the national rugby team on no evidence.
    You keep using your opinion as if it's fact that a LoI player is better or whatever you're measuring than an international rugby player. You know two league of Ireland players, hardly a massive sample size. Do you think all rugby players take the game up at 16? Most have like footballers been playing since they were tiny. All sports have situations where someone comes along late to it.
    The GAA aren't professional so I don't know why you're bringing that into this.

There is a serious amount of waffle in there. What does 'elite in fitness' even mean? As I said you appear to have made up scales to suit your argument. Elite players in fitness and skill is such a broad, generalised, wishy washy term

I played Leinster underage so I have a fair idea in a small window of what a professional set up does full time.
    I'm fully aware how difficult League of Ireland is, you're the one belittling the abilities of the national rugby team on no evidence.
    You keep using your opinion as if it's fact that a LoI player is better or whatever you're measuring than an international rugby player. You know two league of Ireland players, hardly a massive sample size. Do you think all rugby players take the game up at 16? Most have like footballers been playing since they were tiny. All sports have situations where someone comes along late to it.
    The GAA aren't professional so I don't know why you're bringing that into this.
    No, soccer doesn't have the case where you start into it at 16.
    Okay you trained in a full time setup briefly, you had only mentioned schools so fair enough.
    When I say elite in fitness and skills I am measuring by being competitive against New Zealand or Australia. Would push to be in their squads. Just a small few players that applies to.
    - Henderson
    - O'Connell
    - OBrien
    - Sexton
    - Best
    As we seen last week once we go past the first 15 we are far from elite.

No, soccer doesn't have the case where you start into it at 16.
    Okay you trained in a full time setup briefly, you had only mentioned schools so fair enough.
    When I say elite in fitness and skills I am measuring by being competitive against New Zealand or Australia. Would push to be in their squads. Just a small few players that applies to.
    - Henderson
    - O'Connell
    - OBrien
    - Sexton
    - Best
    As we seen last week once we go past the first 15 we are far from elite.

That's like complaining Irish soccer is somehow deficient because it's not competitive with Brazil or Germany.....and yes I'm aware of recent results but over the longer term Irish soccer has not proved itself capable of reliably replicating those recent results reliably.

Anyway comparing international soccer with international rugby is not comparing apples with oranges, it's comparing apples with tomatoes.

That's like complaining Irish soccer is somehow deficient because it's not competitive with Brazil or Germany.....and yes I'm aware of recent results but over the longer term Irish soccer has not proved itself capable of reliably replicating those recent results reliably.

Anyway comparing international soccer with international rugby is not comparing apples with oranges, it's comparing apples with tomatoes.
    Overall point guys soccer is a far more skillful and globally competitive sport than rugby.
    The Irish soccer team has done well in the last 30 years. The Irish rugby team in comparison hasnt once got past the knockout stages of the world cup since 1995 pro era. Yet the National soccer team gets negative press as it did several posts ago and hence why I made the point that the national soccer team compete in a vastly more competitive environment. In that environment they have in the last 30 years over achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Cu Choileain

jacothelad wrote: »
    I love rugby with a passion. As I approach my 70s I don't feel and never have felt myself to be a second class rugby citizen because we are ignored by people too thick to notice or too arrogant to think they've 'got away with it.'

Good post and fair enough if you can see past it, although identity, representation and symbolism are important to people, whether that be national, social, cultural, political, religious or whatever. That's why we support Ireland and not, say, New Zealand or Brazil. It doesn't necessarily mean people are lacking in intellect; nobody, no matter how socially-aware, enlightened or intelligent, likes the sense that they're not being properly respected. National identity is simply another thing that gives meaning to people's lives and provides them with a sense of community/being part of something, and that's fine. The trouble is obviously when it lapses into malice/ignorance/intolerance towards or encroachment upon the identity of others.

Would you also describe those who decide IRFU policy as being "of little intellect and low self esteem who need to shore themselves up with something to wave"? They choose to use particular exclusive flags and anthems over possible others, after all.

You say: "Yes, we don't get a completely fair crack of the whip but the thing is this, by saying nothing or not making any waves it keeps us above those who think we haven't noticed." That's fine, but I assume you would appreciate a real gesture of parity that was volunteered rather than forced, as opposed to viewing it as patronisation? A unionist on Twitter informed me he would feel patronised by such a gesture, but I find that hard to understand; isn't it the present situation of hollow tokenism that is patronising?
    Some truth in it. I actually came from original a Soccer background and I am actually ok at it but find it hard to watch a game. Skill level very high but the other issues put me off the sport. How many middle of the road people are happy to bring their young kids to Bohs V Rovers match? Compared to say a Leinster V Munster game or Dublin V Cork game.

There's little glamour to League of Ireland games. The league is marginalised and stigmatised, not only by the media and public, but by those responsible for running it; John Delaney once described it as his "problem child". I think there are other factors at play in the failure or refusal of the broader public to embrace it rather than this idea that the game of football is morally inferior. See the numbers of Irish football fans who travel to the UK to watch live football every weekend, who tune in on Sky and who attend internationals and insignificant money-spinning spectacles like the "Dublin Derby". There's interest there, and potential for it; the domestic "product" is just seen as sub-standard.
    We don't want the cr*p from Soccer creeping into Rugby.

Soccer isn't infiltrating or creeping into rugby. If there are aspects of rugby you find unpalatable, that's rugby's responsibility. You can't blame soccer. In all professional sports, there are rules; some of those rules might be more conducive to "bending" and thus such "bending" might be more apparent in certain sports, but it happens in all sports where and if it can. There's no real benefit to diving or simulation in rugby (like there is in soccer) as its a hard-hitting, all-contact sport, so pretending you've been touched with force isn't going to win you any advantage with the referee as such is a permissible and inherent aspect of the game. There are other means of "rule-bending" or "cheating" though and they do occur. That's not the fault of soccer.

Another post worth noting by a Foot.ie poster who grew up surrounded by rugby:
    3 Plymouth Albion (Championship equivalent, professional) rugby players charged with sexual assault last year. Barely any media fuss. London School of Economics rugby club publish highly misogynistic promo material in rag week and get suspended. Durham Uni rugby team suspended for singing songs about rape. Richmond rugby team members run naked on London Underground. And so on. Not to mention how World Rugby institutionally locks out lesser nations.

Great sport, but the idea that it's morally superior especially in this new professional era is daft. That's not to say there aren't areas where I think it can claim some moral superiority, but in its totality, no way. How many kids around the world are saved from drugs and gun crime by rugby, for example?
    I can't stand this motion towards being more critical of the rugby team. The logic seems to be that Just because footballers get hounded 24/7, so too should the rugby players.

I think those making the argument are more accurately saying, "treat all sports fairly/equally", rather than, "pillory rugby too with over-the-top tabloid criticism, just like the football players have to endure".
    twinytwo wrote: »
    The secondary school i went to, when we asked about playing rugby we were told " there will be no british sports played in this school"

I only ever played the game during a fourth or fifth-year PE lesson back at St. Columb’s in Derry when another teacher who was a fan of the game took our class for a week so we could give it a go. Even then, and we all found this comical (if not a bit petty/insecure, although we all have our cultural or social hang-ups and draw lines somewhere), one of my classmates, who was a member of Ógra Shinn Féin at the time, had his mother write him a note to the teacher requesting permission that her son be allowed to abstain from that day’s lesson on the grounds that he didn’t want to be subjected to having to play a “foreign game”. Indeed, he sat out the lesson. Of course, though, the following week, he was all togged out on the all-weather pitch in his Liverpool gear and back to partaking in our weekly session of soccer.
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    Excellent point. I've no idea why the author mentioned unionist and nationalist representation, it's ridiculous. Does he want to go down the religious quota route rather than picking a squad based on merit?

That's a grossly unfair misrepresentation of my argument. If it's so ridiculous/trivial/unimportant, why do the IRFU have such a hang-up over real symbolic representation for all? I'm just pointing that out. I haven't concocted something or introduced something imaginary into the field of play. The IRFU claim to be inclusive of all on the island, but the reality in terms of symbolic representation doesn't match up with the assertion. Of course, team selection is based on merit, but should representative symbolism be chosen on the basis of who shouts loudest? Of course not. The team is 15 of the best players from wherever on the island they happen to be from, but they represent the entire island rather than just one culture on it, no?

Overall point guys soccer is a far more skillful and globally competitive sport than rugby.
    The Irish soccer team has done well in the last 30 years. The Irish rugby team in comparison hasnt once got past the knockout stages of the world cup since 1995 pro era. Yet the National soccer team gets negative press as it did several posts ago and hence why I made the point that the national soccer team compete in a vastly more competitive environment. In that environment they have in the last 30 years over achieved.

As I mentioned earlier that just demonstrates a lack if awareness of skill and fitness and how they apply to different sports.

GAA footballers by your measure must be atrocious athletes given they've never even made it to the group stages of an international competition.

As I mentioned earlier that just demonstrates a lack if awareness of skill and fitness and how they apply to different sports.

GAA footballers by your measure must be atrocious athletes given they've never even made it to the group stages of an international competition.
    No I believe it demonstrates international soccer is a massive step above international rugby in terms of skill and degree of difficulty of becoming a participant.
    So when talking about rugby, sorry to burst your bubble but its not a truly elite competitive sport.
    So rugbys 'soccer conversation' is league of Ireland level not the National soccer team.
    This is the elitist nature of rugby, every nuance must be deemed skillful. Ye want it to be in the conversation with international soccer, well it isnt. Globally its a minority sport with the primary requirement being size, speed and power. It is not as skillful as the pedestal ye place it on. I repeat, several players have played at International level taking up the sport in their late teens, purely because they were big and powerful. It is not a globally competitive sport at all.

• Advertisement

No I believe it demonstrates international soccer is a massive step above international rugby in terms of skill and degree of difficulty of becoming a participant.
    So when talking about rugby, sorry to burst your bubble but its not a truly elite competitive sport.
    So rugbys 'soccer conversation' is league of Ireland level not the National soccer team.
    This is the elitist nature of rugby, every nuance must be deemed skillful. Ye want it to be in the conversation with international soccer, well it isnt. Globally its a minority sport with the primary requirement being size, speed and power. It is not as skillful as the pedestal ye place it on. I repeat, several players have played at International level taking up the sport in their late teens, purely because they were big and powerful. It is not a globally competitive sport at all.
    Nothing here is anything but your opinion just like many peoples opinion is that League of Ireland is of a poor standard with journeymen who failed to get an English contract. Neither are correct.
    You keep talking like its fact and there is some definitive measurement. There isn't

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement