Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MNSCI Sporting rimfire comp - Sunday September 27th 2015

Options
  • 02-09-2015 12:11pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭

===============================================================================================

Details of the shoot are now in post #11.

===============================================================================================

Following on from the last rimfire comp and as discussed with most of the lads there i'm starting this thread to gauge interest in another of what i hope will turn into a regularly scheduled rimfire competition event.

I've been thinking about details and distances and i think the last comp was fairly well received in terms of distances shot and styles shot. At some point i'd like to incorporate kneeling and standing into the event, but to get the first of the comps going i'm thinking we just keep it to prone and as interest grows we bring in the various shooting positions.

Here is what i'm thinking of for the next shoot. It'll be the similar to the last.
    • Cold bore shot at 100 mtrs for .22lr & 200 mtrs for hmr/wmr
    • 20 rounds shot at 100 mtrs for .22lr & 20 rounds at 50 mtrs (total of 40 rounds)
    • 10 rounds free hand shot at 50 mtrs for .22lr & 100 mtrs for hmr/wmr (total of 10 rounds)

Details of the shoot itself
    • Two details per competitor. (long and short distance)
    • 9 people per detail.
    • 51 rounds in total. (50 rounds for comp and one for cold bore)
    • One 6 ring card & one 4 ring card.
    • All prone.
    • No back bags/rest.
    • Front bipod/sandbag only.

Each competitor will register at the clubhouse. Upon registration they will receive two score cards/targets with their name and caliber marked on it. At the start of each detail the RO will mark the target board number each competitor will shoot from on their card. This number will be the same for both distances and will only be given when the competitors name is called. Competitors will go forward to the target boards and place the appropriate target on their given board number. After the shoot each competitor will go forward again to retrieve their cards. After each distance/detail the target cards will be given to the RO on the firing line who will have them marked.

As for the cards themselves. We will use two different targets. One will be for 50 mtrs/100 mtrs and the other for 100mtrs/200 mtrs. For anyone not familiar they look like this:

50 mtr (.22lr) & 100 mtr (hmr/wmr) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 100 mtr (.22lr) & 200 mtr (hmr/wmr)

The target on the left for 50 mtr & 100 mtr has 6 rings. Ordinarily the top two rings would be for practice but in this case they'll be for the free handed/unrested shots. The 4 rings below the line will be for the 20 rested shots.

The target on the right for 100 mtr & 200 mtr has 4 larger rings and three smaller rings. The top three rings are ordinarily for practice. We will remove two of the top three practice rings and the remaining one will be for the cold bore shot at 100 mtrs (.22lr) and 200 mtrs (hmr/wmr). The 4 larger rings will be for the rested shots.

In a situation where there is a tied score V-bull/centre X's will decide the winner. Only shots in your target will count. If you shoot the wrong target you loose that shot and the points with it. Only 5 shots per ring will count. So if you shoot 6 into one ring and 4 into the another you'll only get the score for 5 on one and from the 4 shots on the other. This is why it's so important to that you correctly identify not only your target but the amount of shots per ring/target.

The competition will ONLY be for rimfire rifles. No centrefires. Rifles must be mag fed, NO single feeders. Any scope, any mag allowed. NO slings, NO front rests other than the bipod/sandbag.

This will be a smaller comp in terms of no centrefires and smaller entrance fee. Unfortunately no rifles as prizes, but if we can make these work then you never know what might be there in the future. I've attached a poll at the top. It's a simple YES or NO. IOW do you like the format or not. You also choose the day you want. Saturday or Sunday.

Feel free to post your comments or thoughts on thread and if i can make this happen or incorporate any parts of suggestions posted here i will.

I'm thinking of a Saturday shoot, but will consider Sunday. Sunday is harder to organise as most Sundays have F-Class or similar on them. I'm thinking the weekend of the 20th or the 27th of this month. That will depend on availability of the range.

So what do you think?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Do you agree with the format below and what day do you prefer? 12 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    66% 8 votes
    Saturday
    0% 0 votes
    Sunday
    33% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭German pointer

Sounds ok to me

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭IrishTarget

Looks good.

Cold bore will be interesting for .22.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Cold bore will be interesting for .22.
    Wonder where i got that idea? :D

It'll add a new feature and hopefully as the comps progress we can add more.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Cass wrote: »
    Wonder where i got that idea? :D

It'll add a new feature and hopefully as the comps progress we can add more.

Haha.

All sounds good to me. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Deaf git

Were you thinking of having 2 comps in one? .22lr and hmr/wmr?

• Advertisement

They are not two separate comps. All is shot as one. The only difference is the distance each caliber shoots at. The .22lr has the same performance (roughly) at 50mtrs and 100 mtrs as a hmr would at 100 & 200. Plus with it being bipod only it makes it a challenge for all shooters.

If the interest grows, and the number of competitors with it, we can consider splitting it into two separate groups/comps at later dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Deaf git

Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭badaj0z

Good stuff. Also looking forward to it!

I'm going over to the range this weekend and will try and finalise the details and more importantly the date for this. If anyone has any suggestions for future events feel free to post here, but so far i think the upcoming one is good as it it?

As soon as i can nail down a date i'll start a new thread and post the link here.

Got the green light for this so here it is:

Continuing on from this thread, the MNSCI are pleased to announce the first of many sporting rimfire competitions. The competition is scheduled for Sunday September 27th 2015. The competition is rimfire ONLY. Distances will vary depending on caliber used, but is all shot as the one comp.

.22lr Course of fire.
    • Cold bore shot at 100 mtrs
    • Rested, 20 rounds shot at 100 mtrs (4 bull/ring target, 5 rounds per mag)
    • Rested, 20 rounds shot at 50 mtrs (6 bull/ring target, middle two and bottom two rings only, 5 rounds per mag)
    • 10 rounds free hand shot at 50 mtrs (top two bulls/rings of 6 ring target)
    • Total of 51 rounds

Hmr/Wmr Course of fire
    • Cold bore shot at 200 yards
    • Rested, 20 rounds shot at 200 yards (4 bull/ring target, 5 rounds per mag)
    • Rested, 20 rounds shot at 100 mtrs (6 bull/ring target, middle two and bottom two rings only, 5 rounds per mag)
    • 10 rounds free hand shot at 100 mtrs (top two bulls/rings of 6 ring target)
    • Total of 51 rounds

Details of shoot:
    • All shot from the prone position
    • Bipod/sandbag ONLY during rested shots
    • No back bag
    • Mag fed ONLY, NO single feeders
    • Any sights
    • Any magnification

Each competitor will register at the clubhouse. Upon registration they will receive two score cards/targets with their name and caliber marked on it. At the start of each detail the RO will mark the target board number each competitor will shoot from on their card. This number will be the same for both distances and will only be given when the competitors name is called. Competitors will go forward to the target boards and place the appropriate target on their given board number. After the shoot each competitor will go forward again to retrieve their cards. After each distance/detail the target cards will be given to the RO on the firing line who will have them marked.

As for the cards themselves. We will use two different targets. One will be for 50 mtrs/100 mtrs and the other for 100mtrs/200 mtrs. For anyone not familiar they look like this:

50 mtr (.22lr) & 100 mtr (hmr/wmr) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 100 mtr (.22lr) & 200 mtr (hmr/wmr)

The target on the left for 50 mtr & 100 mtr has 6 rings. Ordinarily the top two rings would be for practice but in this case they'll be for the free handed/unrested shots. The 4 rings below the line will be for the 20 rested shots.

The target on the right for 100 mtr & 200 mtr has 4 larger rings and three smaller rings. The top three rings are ordinarily for practice. We will remove two of the top three practice rings and the remaining one will be for the cold bore shot at 100 mtrs (.22lr) and 200 mtrs (hmr/wmr). The 4 larger rings will be for the rested shots.

In a situation where there is a tied score V-bull/centre X's will decide the winner. Only shots in your target will count. If you shoot the wrong target you loose that shot and the points with it. Only 5 shots per ring will count. So if you shoot 6 into one ring and 4 into the another you'll only get the score for 5 on one and from the 4 shots on the other. This is why it's so important to that you correctly identify not only your target but the amount of shots per ring/target.

Entrance fee will be €20 per competitor and re-entry willbe allowed at a fee of €10.

We're hoping to have the new medals in time for this, but regardless of the medals we'll have prizes for the cold bore shot, and 1st, 2nd and 3rd place.

looking forward to seeing you all there.

• Advertisement

Looks good, new target should make it interesting.

I'll passed the word.

Just a reminder that the Rimfire comp is on this Sunday, the 27th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭German pointer

what time does this kick off at

10:30 onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Davidcardiff

What time would last shots be at

Depends on turn out. If anyone turns up just as the last detail is finishing and wants to take part they are more than welcome to shoot even if it's on their own. We'll only call it a day when there are no more left to shoot. That includes re-entries.

A good day on the range today Cass.

A good shoot with interesting wind at 100 meters. Ha.

Glad everyone enjoyed it. Pity about the scheduling conflict but we'll correct that for the next one.

As i said to ye on the range if anyone has any ideas or suggestions they like to see implemented give me a shout and we can see if it can be done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement