Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Funny (ha, ha)' side of religion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

A christ is for life, not just for dogmas. - Chris Turner

Cabaal wrote: »
    He really needs to stop saying okay!

tumblr_ljrwyd7ej31qgly3lo1_400.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Worztron

354859.gif

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 34,272 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Lock up your doorbells :p

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/jehovah-s-witnesses-convention-to-attract-over-7-000-1.2281143
    More than 7,000 Jehovah’s Witnesses will converge on the Citywest convention centre campus in Dublin this weekend for the faith’s annual Irish convention.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

There was a man standing on the ramparts gazing out across the land from dawn till dusk with a fixed expression on his face, and a stranger to the city approached him and asked, “What’s your job, what is it that you are doing?” The man answered “they pay me to do it, I’m supposed to keep an eye out for the messiah’s arrival and ring this bell if I see him coming.” The stranger, choosing his words with care said, “Well, how is it going?” to which the watcher replied, “well…it’s steady work”… - Christopher Hitchens [Christopher Hitchens and Martin Amis - No Laughing Matter [2007]]

• Advertisement

354991.jpg

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

355152.jpeg

355224.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

d2cgA8Z.jpg?1

Ian Murphy pranks Ken Ham, posing as someone who has a mental disability and is also wheelchair bound.
    “Checking out?” slowly enunciated the helpless clerk, abruptly disregarding another traveler’s outstretched fistful of credit. She was obliged to immediately reckon with the obtrusive fashion anomaly before her. I was clad in Velcro fastened sneakers, a long sleeve polo shirt tucked into nipple-high sweatpants, which were cinched awkwardly at my waist by a sporty fanny-pack. A slightly askew “JUST TRY TO BURN THIS ONE!” American flag trucker hat was my idiot crown.

“Hiiiii!” I brayed, thrusting the card into her mitts. “THREE-O-NINE!” I incorrectly counted the numbers off with my fingers, so the poor girl would understand what was happening. The other hotel patrons silently endured my rudeness. I was clearly some sort of mental defective, an innocent of the highest order. They wouldn’t dare.
    The event we were covering was a quick shot across the Kentucky state line, the grand unveiling of a 60,000 square foot bellwether of our culture’s sheepish intellectually depravity: The Creation Museum. The poured concrete brainchild of Ken Ham, world-renowned creationist douche and president of the Christian apologetics ministry “Answers in Genesis,” this “museum” aims to depict biblical narrative as historic reality. 27 million donated dollars worth of animatronic dinosaurs and humans palling around in the Garden of Eden—madness. Like the slaves of narcotic bliss, we felt physically compelled to participate in this insanity, adding to it whatever we could. Our drug was adrenaline, our bliss: messing with uppity religious primates.
    Through the bifocals, I could make out only vague shapes of what I’d read earlier was a protest camp being set up across the street—a tame placard and bullhorn assault by the dwindling forces of reason; a futile volley over the frontlines of the American Culture War. On the other side [behind the Creation Museum's gates] was God’s Army—fortified by a million-dollar wrought iron fence, packing heat, and totally impervious to reason.

A most enjoyable read.

Short video here:

• Advertisement

355337.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

QJLFwDg.jpg?1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

3cf.png

Soon we'll all be PDFiles. Maybe want to rethink what we call ourselves.

355390.jpg

33630_S2ME2rM.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

0514f691cf822d359213b574a0709e07e6aad4-wm.jpg

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

355537.jpg

• Moderators Posts: 51,733 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

From YLYL.

ODwsHUf.jpg

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Well, there is a place called "Flippin". And it does have a church:

http://www.flippincog.org/

355586.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

robindch wrote: »
    Well, there is a place called "Flippin". And it does have a church:

http://www.flippincog.org/

355586.jpg

What's more it's in Arkansas. I wonder did a certain philandering former Rhodes scholar from the state ever attend the church?;)

• Advertisement

355623.jpg

Child’s Description Of Heaven During Near-Death Experience Specifically Mentions Book Deal. [The Onion]
    NEW YORK—Speaking for the first time since waking from a medically induced coma following a devastating car accident, 8-year-old Aiden Miller recounted an extremely vivid near-death experience Friday that reportedly contained detailed descriptions of heaven, angels, and a six-figure book deal. “I was walking up in the clouds and met friends, and strangers, and all these famous people who talked with me about all kinds of things and brought up the possibility of selling the rights to my story to a big-name publisher,” said the second-grader, who attested that during the five-minute period in which his heart had stopped on the operating table, he ascended to a shining, golden paradise where he says he met with the archangel Gabriel and a literary agent who has helped a number of authors secure multi-book deals with lucrative worldwide book tours. “Jesus was sitting at the right hand of God and my grandfather was right there, and they looked at me and smiled at each other and said I should ask for an $80,000 advance with 10 percent of back-end profits.” Miller added that he felt a profound sense of peace and well-being when Jesus told him to go forth and seek a blockbuster deal for the movie rights.

0qnPmnI.jpg

If I know Jesus, he's the type to give a 'reach around'.

Mysterious ways.

mG22AKY.jpg

Grown adults. Adults.

yM1Iiph.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭obplayer

11036296_1666749353546820_4057280230220740654_n.jpg?oh=768617432c418234a72663479cc40810&oe=56501C56

355694.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

2woirl4.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

11738026_651612384939718_5966414276913789218_n.jpg?oh=1806f8873ba36b8ea7591ae5313d07a6&oe=565BDF9E

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Advertisement