Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lolek Ltd, Trading as 'The Iona Institute'

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Maybe I should make a comic about David Quinn, like I did for he who shall not be named

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Loads of the ultra-Christian right are rallying to the Quinn cause:

https://twitter.com/austinruse/status/572860638445240322
    I urge everyone on my feed to defend David Quinn of the Iona Inst @DavQuinn who's under attack for standing up for fathers. @marialaoise

Who is he?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Family_and_Human_Rights_Institute
    In February 2014, the SPLC designated the group as an anti-LGBT hate group because of C-FAM's opposition to United Nations efforts to protect LGBT rights and to study and prevent anti-LGBT violence, and its praise, SPLC said, of the American anti-gay activist Scott Lively.[3] In a statement posted on its website, C-FAM responded that SPLC's criteria is biased against "[its] conservative opponents"; that SPLC has been accused of inflating its list of hate groups; and that the charges were false.[6]

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Daith

Pherekydes wrote: »
    That's irrelevant. His question would be applicable to any lesbian SSM campaigning couple expecting a baby.

Isn't that how Iona works? Don't insult the player, insult the whole team.

They would say
    Children raised by same sex couples are not raised in the best way possible

They would never say
    Children raised by Colm O'Gorman and his same sex partner are not raising their children in the best way possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Bobby42

I work in homeless services.

I used to work with families living in hostels/emergency homeless accommodation.

I have seen things I will never be able to forget, and have had to get counselling. Entire families crammed into bedsits with needles, mould, ect,
    generally horrible conditions. I've seen small children break down, unable to cope with the conditions they were living in, nowhere to play, all that.

These kids were not growing up in the best possible way.

Not a peep out of Quinn and the iona institute about it though.

Sickens me when they go on and on about child welfare in the marriage equality debate, they really couldn't care less about the hundreds of children currently living in emergency homeless accommodation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Nodin wrote: »
    David Quinn, showing the charming side of his character....
    http://www.broadsheet.ie/2015/03/03/whos-the-father/

You know, I think after this it is now fair to throw mud at him for his untraditional family life. If he wants to bring the discourse down to insulting the innocent children of others he is worse than scum.

• Advertisement

Bobby42 wrote: »

I used to work with families living in hostels/emergency homeless accommodation.

I have seen things I will never be able to forget, and have had to get counselling. Entire families crammed into bedsits with needles, mould, ect,
    generally horrible conditions. I've seen small children break down, unable to cope with the conditions they were living in, nowhere to play, all that.

Sickens me when they go on and on about child welfare in the marriage equality debate, they really couldn't care less about the hundreds of children currently living in emergency homeless accommodation.

You've got to realise though that for all these anti-abortionist, anti-life, christian "morality" groups, life is only sacred in two cases, a) before it exists, or b) has access to a bank account or trust fund with a minimum eight figure US$ balance. Everybody else, to them, can go sling their hooks.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

You know, I think after this it is now fair to throw mud at him for his untraditional family life.
    It may be fair, but it's still probably counterproductive. Remember, people are irrational.
    If he wants to bring the discourse down to insulting the innocent children of others he is worse than scum.

No argument on that point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

You know, I think after this it is now fair to throw mud at him for his untraditional family life. If he wants to bring the discourse down to insulting the innocent children of others he is worse than scum.

My own notion is that were somebody to go long term undercover with these people, they could well uncover enough of their views to sink them entirely. The anti-abortion lot even more so.

As regards the "untraditional family life", such remarks in the public sphere would be counterproductive. And they have a deep pocket when it comes to legal action etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭volchitsa

his untraditional family life.

While searching for some info on this (and no, I didn't find any- maybe some kind soul could PM me, my curiosity is killing me!! Or even just give me a clue as to where I could look...) I came across this. Not terribly relevant to the point being discussed, but a useful reminder of how quick Iona are to go for straight to legal threats:

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2013/04/02/go-iona-that/

So I agree that his comments were disgusting, but anyone wanting to reply in kind needs to be very very careful.

Here's what they're up to now:

https://twitter.com/MaryFitzgibbon/status/573168149840961537

Edel Byrne is associated with the Adoption Rights Alliance. She herself was an adoptee brought up in a Catholic-church run mother-and-baby home Bessborough. She found out at age 42 she had a brother and sister:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/viewpoints/analysis/still-being-treated-as-non-persons-285609.html

P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

David Quinn has two adopted children that he adopted from outside the state. He has said if one has the means to pay for private assessment one should be able to circumvent the state vetting system. He said his preferences were to adopt a child under one year of age because of bonding issues.
    His constant bleating about the rights of children to know their natural parents and to be raised by a mother and father need to be examined robustly. How could a biological parent be forced to be in a child's life?

http://www.inarchive.com/page/2011-08-03/http:/www.sbpost.ie/archives/2005/0710/adoption-the-agony-and-the-ecstasy-6248.html

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Bobby42 wrote: »

Wouldn't it be great if some institute could do some research into how to best support these children so that some charity could do some worthwhile work for them? Sigh

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Well, Terry Prone called Quinn a propagandist on TV3's Midday show. It's not on the TV3 Player. Maybe a glitch, or else a complaint was made.

https://twitter.com/HelenORahilly/status/575000296881020928

Well, Terry Prone called Quinn a propagandist on TV3's Midday show.

well, she'd know one if she saw one in fairness.

Someone went along to the Archbishop Martin talk held by Iona last night and recorded it:

https://soundcloud.com/karl-hayden/archbishop-martin

The questions & answers session is from 35' onwards. What's interesting is the grief that Martin gets - lots of silence and a fair bit of heckling when he's telling people to be nice. He's essentially accused of being a waverer, not explicitly calling for a No vote, etc. He's asked if he sent a letter to priests telling them to keep quite. Shows the gulf there is between the senior clergy and hardline groups like Iona.

P.

oceanclub wrote: »
    Someone went along to the Archbishop Martin talk held by Iona last night and recorded it:

The questions & answers session is from 35' onwards. What's interesting is the grief that Martin gets - lots of silence and a fair bit of heckling when he's telling people to be nice. He's essentially accused of being a waverer, not explicitly calling for a No vote, etc. He's asked if he sent a letter to priests telling them to keep quite. Shows the gulf there is between the senior clergy and hardline groups like Iona.

P.

No what it actually shows is the gulf between the reasonable, intelligent and decent people in the church like Diarmuid Martin, Peter McVerry , Iggy O'Donovan and the many others who don't get air-time but are deeply worried by the church's positions and the church as a body corporate. Remember, what Martin is advocating is far from what the church is telling him to advocate, they want gay marriages to be campaigned against in the most derogatory and insulting manner, a policy endorsed by Bergoglio, and he is going against what the church wants.

The likes of Lolek Ltd. are what the church truly wants to be seen as the morality in "catholic" countries, even today.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

oceanclub wrote: »

P.

36.46:
    "We need a very clear statement coming from our bishops that same sex marriage is going to change and discriminate against Catholics and Christians in this country, and that we will have no rights"
    *big round off applause and few "Here here"*

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

wprathead wrote: »
    36.46:
    "We need a very clear statement coming from our bishops that same sex marriage is going to change and discriminate against Catholics and Christians in this country, and that we will have no rights"

Does that mean the Catholics and Christians (are Catholics not Christians??? :eek:) who support SSM are 'self hating' or some such nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Another big dollop of nonsense from Breda O'Brien in the Times today. Poor old Dolce & Gabbana are being oppressed, persecuted for having a viewpoint, free speech etc. etc. :rolleyes: coming from one of the Lolek crowd who have RTE terrified of being sued by them (again) and the BAI wrapped around their little finger, it's comical.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

wprathead wrote: »
    36.46:

Can anyone explain how the state not discriminating against certain people discriminates against Christians?

It's like any attempts to not allow a Islamic Catholic State is discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

[qouote="Hotblack Desiato;94770708"]Another big dollop of nonsense from Breda O'Brien in the Times today. Poor old Dolce & Gabbana are being oppressed, persecuted for having a viewpoint, free speech etc. etc. :rolleyes: coming from one of the Lolek crowd who have RTE terrified of being sued by them (again) and the BAI wrapped around their little finger, it's comical.[/quote]

She also had a painfully unfunny swipe at Martina Navratilova.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭unfortunately

Can anyone explain how the state not discriminating against certain people discriminates against Christians?

It's like any attempts to not allow a Islamic Catholic State is discrimination.

That attitude is pervasive enough, I remember hearing some bishop on the news talking about whether Catholic schools should be able to fire teachers for being gay when the government proposed to change this and his response was essentially that not allowing them to discriminate was a form of discrimination!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

That attitude is pervasive enough, I remember hearing some bishop on the news talking about whether Catholic schools should be able to fire teachers for being gay when the government proposed to change this and his response was essentially that not allowing them to discriminate was a form of discrimination!

They're the kind of people who break into your house and then sue you because they tripped over something in the dark.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

An article from Quinn - Under Kenny, Fine Gael is neither Christian nor is it democratic.

Breda has an article knocking Fianna Fail and bemoaning the lack of a party that appeals to social conservatives.

The two parties who have been the major coalition partners aren't conservative enough and have given in to the liberal agenda. The articles above are from March 13th and March 28th, but remember, only liberals engage in group think...

An article from Quinn - Under Kenny, Fine Gael is neither Christian nor is it democratic.

Breda has an article knocking Fianna Fail and bemoaning the lack of a party that appeals to social conservatives.

The two parties who have been the major coalition partners aren't conservative enough and have given in to the liberal agenda. The articles above are from March 13th and March 28th, but remember, only liberals engage in group think...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Wow....did quinn say Enda was wrong to punish the vatican for facilitating child abuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Jesus f*cking Christ on a trike...I'd expect this sort of sh*t from one of the reactionaries on t'udder forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭shane7218

Why does the Iona Institute get tax exempt status? Its disgusting that an organisation that spreads hatred is treated as a charity.

https://www.change.org/p/irish-government-revoke-the-tax-exempt-charity-status-of-the-iona-institute

• Advertisement

O look - a member of the Iona institute conflating gay couples adopting with the marriage referendum. Take it away Breda -

"This is a referendum about re-defining marriage, and therefore parenting.
    Mary McAleese is a terrific role model as a woman who has always worked outside the home while maintaining a strong family life. As a mother, she is obviously vital to all her children.
    But if the referendum is passed, there will be children born in this country who will never experience a mother’s love. "
    http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/breda-o-brien-does-mary-mcaleese-understand-why-people-are-voting-no-1.2179917

Not that I'm saying it's part of a co-ordinated strategy, jaysus no.

Advertisement