Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lolek Ltd, Trading as 'The Iona Institute'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Days later I realise that Lolek sounds like LulzSec and that's why I feel like I've heard it before.

That was driving me mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,246 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Cabaal wrote: »
    So if lolek Ltd is their registered name, what's stopping somebody registering Iona Institute as a limited company name? :)
    "Iona Institute" is registered as a business name. Details of the registration are not available for free from cro.ie, so I can't be sure that it is registered to Lolek Ltd, but I can see that it is registered to a business carried on at 23 Merrion Square. Draw your own conclusions.

You possibly could register a company called "Iona Institute Ltd", but this wouldn't entitle you to stop anyone else carrying on business under the name "Iona Institute". Nor, if you commenced carrying on business under that name, would it protect you from legal action from some hypothetical body that might already be carrying on business under the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,246 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

spurious wrote: »
    Does anyone know how many members make up the II - would it be in double figures?
    I don't think it's a membership-based organisation. The website solicits donations and invites you to subscribe to their newsletter, but it doesn't invite you to become a member, or even suggest that this is possible.

Lolek Ltd is registered as a private company and, by law, has a maximum of 99 members. In reality it probably has many fewer than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

As far as I know its just a handful of (surprisingly) educated people who go around concered for "familes", theres no signing up for it or anything like that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

'Lolek' sounds familiar to those of us of a certain age, as it's part of the title of a Polish cartoon RTE used to use as filler. 'Bolek and Lolek' a cartoon about two little boys.

Ah yes.

To think they could have been known as Bolek(s) Ltd. So near and yet so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,371 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its just so hard being part of a majority religion being persecuted everyday! Poor Breda

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2015/02/26/iona-my-version/
    “I believe there is an upper room feeling about the church in many parts of the world today. People cowering behind closed doors, afraid to express opinions, in case it will bring the wrath of the oppressors down on them, but if you focus on witnessing, you have a certain calm about outcomes. Most of the time.

“When I found myself, earlier this year, accused with other people of being a homophobe, for weeks on end, everywhere from our national parliament to our State broadcaster and it continued to the extent that my 15-year-old daughter turned to me and said, ‘Mammy are you safe? Is it safe for you to go out?’ – I had to hold on very tightly to witnessing, not winning.

And in a major irony, the article which sparked off the whole incident was about gay men in the priesthood. And I asked a rhetorical question which was that if every single priest were gay, if they were faithful to their vocation, and actively seeking to do the will of god, what would it matter?

It was a rhetorical question. And this article was what caused a very well-known drag queen to accuse me of homophobia.”

Iona Institute’s Irish Times columnist Breda O’Brien speaking at a Catholic conference in Madrid, Spain in September, 2014.

Rep writes:

“…31 mins. and 42 seconds in, Breda begins to talk about the Pantigate Affair…A very dishonest account of the whole affair….”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

The usual sickening whines.

I would have more associated the term "witnessing" with evangelical Protestantism.

A group which exists to pretty much persecute everyone who doesnt live by their randomly made up rules are persecuted.

Have they thought of maybe not trying to persecute others?

This one time I was told I cant throw all the black people out, I felt so persecuted.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

A group which exists to pretty much persecute everyone who doesnt live by their randomly made up rules are persecuted.

This one time I was told I cant throw all the black people out, I felt so persecuted.

Its very easy to feel persecuted when you have a say in 92% of our schools I guess

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    Its very easy to feel persecuted when you have a say in 92% of our schools I guess

Cant expect them to be treated like everyone else can we.

Rights for Whites!!!!!!

David Quinn, showing the charming side of his character....
    http://www.broadsheet.ie/2015/03/03/whos-the-father/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Nodin wrote: »
    Quinnstain... I like it.

Quinn is really throwing stones in that nice glass house of his.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Class guy allright , keep it up David and you Breda will sink your campaign all on your own .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

David Quinn, showing the charming side of his character [...]
    With a crass comment like that, I can't help but wonder -- again -- whether somebody is going to return the compliment and query his family circumstances.

robindch wrote: »
    With a crass comment like that, I can't help but wonder -- again -- whether somebody is going to return the compliment and query his family circumstances.

Its as if he was trying to provoke just that .

• Registered Users Posts: 33,389 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah, to be honest I really hope no-one takes the bait, whether that's what he intended or not.

Yeah, to be honest I really hope no-one takes the bait, whether that's what he intended or not.

absolutely agree , stay away from it . I thought he was trying to do the same in the discussion with Colm O'Gorman .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I wouldn't be surprised that if the guy who posted that "Quinnstain" comment wasn't anonymous, they'd find a solicitor's letter in their letterbox tomorrow morning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,344 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

There was a bit of a hit job on them in the Mail over the weekend, due to the ease of access they have to the airwaves. Screenshots of the piece were Twitter. Probably not the best approach, tbh. Expect the marriage referendum debate to get uglier.

• Moderators Posts: 51,738 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Lots of damage control on Twitter tonight by Quinn and his various associates. Claims he didn't know it was about Dil - even though screencaps show her name was in the thread.

P.

oceanclub wrote: »
    Lots of damage control on Twitter tonight by Quinn and his various associates. Claims he didn't know it was about Dil - even though screencaps show her name was in the thread.

P.

Not knowing much doesnt usually stop him. Otherwise he would be silent.

He knows everything

USER IS NOT BEING SUED MOVE ALONG

• Registered Users Posts: 16,132 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Lots of damage control on Twitter tonight by Quinn and his various associates. Claims he didn't know it was about Dil...

That's irrelevant. His question would be applicable to any lesbian SSM campaigning couple expecting a baby.

P.

Not a fib if you make it for Jesus, presumably.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    That's irrelevant. His question would be applicable to any lesbian SSM campaigning couple expecting a baby.

You mean inappropriate to any SSM couple....?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I love how the Loleks seem to take PR lessons from Pee Flynn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,132 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

You mean inappropriate to any SSM couple....?

Well yeah. I meant applicable from his POV.

Advertisement