Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bible, Creationism, and Prophecy (part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

J C wrote: »
    They're both very good at presenting information from their own perspective allright.

Except one of their perspectives is utterly deluded (I'll give you a hint which one, its not Sir David)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭orubiru

hinault wrote: »
    Because your reliance upon wikipedia is patent.
    Ah, sorry, I must have missed something.You said "Define for us first what is Evolution?"

Were you expecting a snappy one line explanation? It's a bit more complex than that (as I am sure you know).

Anyways, again, here ya go.

http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/article/evo_01

http://evolution.berkeley.edu

I would like to hear the things that you SPECIFICALLY have a problem with and how those problems logically lead us to understand that God Himself created (or Intelligently Designed, whatever) all the different species on Earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

orubiru wrote: »
    I would like to hear the things that you SPECIFICALLY have a problem with and how those problems logically lead us to understand that God Himself created (or Intelligently Designed, whatever) all the different species on Earth.

I always find it strange to see Catholic young Earth creationists, considering that their church accepts evolution.

I always find it strange to see Catholic young Earth creationists, considering that their church accepts evolution.

I think the idea is that there is some kind of conspiracy there.

I don't really know, do these people think that understanding evolution means you must be an Atheist?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Safehands

I think the idea is that there is some kind of conspiracy there.

I don't really know, do these people think that understanding evolution means you must be an Atheist?

No, no, no, these people think if you don't believe THEIR certain understanding, that God created the world 10,000 years ago, you are certainly an Atheist.
    Evolution? Bah!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

Gintonious wrote: »
    Except one of their perspectives is utterly deluded (I'll give you a hint which one, its not Sir David)
    Neither person is deluded ... they're just presenting information from their own perspectives.

I quite frankly find the statement that people of faith are deluded, to be both patronising and insulting.

... as well as being untrue.

Why?

All Creation Scientists accept Evolution (in the sense of the natural/sexual selection of pre-existing genetic diversity).

• Moderators Posts: 51,724 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Why?

All Creation Scientists accept Evolution (in the sense of the natural/sexual selection of pre-existing genetic diversity).

so creationists only accept part of evolution rather than the complete current scientific understanding of it? Somewhat dishonest to state all creationists accept evolution considering that many of them reject the the idea that life on Earth is older than 10,000 years.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Neither person is deluded ... they're just presenting information from their own perspectives.

I quite frankly find the statement that people of faith are deluded, to be both patronising and insulting.

... as well as being untrue.

Whats your point? When it clearly interferers with the true, it is very much a deluded position.

And I reserve that right to say what I want about it, Comforts claim is completely faith based, therefor has no evidence at all to support his claims of a grand designer (God in this case).

Whereas Sir David is using the fossil evidence, along with DNA that is observable to put forward his information.

Its called faith because its not knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Creationism isn't a tenet of faith. Neither is evolution a tenet.

The Pope can advocate for creationism, this advocacy has no bearing on doctrine / dogma.
    The Pope can advocate for evolution, this advocacy has no bearing on doctrine /dogma either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭TheLurker

hinault wrote: »
    I don't agree that wiki is a good starting point generally for anything.

And wiki certainly isn't a good basis for trying to explain what abiogenesis is.

Is that wiki link your only basis for the hypothesis that you agree with for how life began?
    Surely there are other reference sources that you use to persuade you that abiogenesis is a credible hypothesis?

There are 261 of them at the bottom of that Wikipedia page.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Neither person is deluded ...
    No. Anyone that believes in creationism is deluded. That delusion might be limited to that particular thing, but it is a delusion. It is pretty much the dictionary definition of delusion.

We can have a look at Merriam-Webster, for example:

We have a few options:
    : a belief that is not true : a false idea

: a false idea or belief that is caused by mental illness

Whilst some may have some ideas about the second, I think it is reasonable leave that aside for now. That there are two meaning would imply that it is possible to be delusional without being mentally ill, though clearly in some cases one might be both.

I think the fuller definition is more useful:
    a : something that is falsely or delusively believed or propagated
    b : a persistent false psychotic belief regarding the self or persons or objects outside the self that is maintained despite indisputable evidence to the contrary; also : the abnormal state marked by such beliefs

Either a or b seems like a pretty good fit.

MrP

MrPudding wrote: »
    No. Anyone that believes in creationism is deluded. That delusion might be limited to that particular thing, but it is a delusion. It is pretty much the dictionary definition of delusion.

We can have a look at Merriam-Webster, for example:

We have a few options:

Whilst some may have some ideas about the second, I think it is reasonable leave that aside for now. That there are two meaning would imply that it is possible to be delusional without being mentally ill, though clearly in some cases one might be both.

I think the fuller definition is more useful:
    Either a or b seems like a pretty good fit.MrP
    I don't believe in the Biblical account of Creation. To me it makes absolutely no sense. However, there are those who do believe it and it helps them to get through the day and that has to be positive. Its a little like a doctor prescribing a placebo for a patient with a particular problem. Some well informed people may say "You are only taking a placebo, it's not doing anything, so there is nothing wrong with you" That would be cruel.
    JC seems to be well read. He knows all the arguments and he comes on here for some fun, as most of us do. So, I've no problem arguing with him. Others, who hold similar beliefs, are more sensitive and could be hurt by some of the rational arguments being put forward here. So we need to be careful who we argue with.
    I'd say JC enjoys people saying he's deluded. He'll just come right back, as he's always done. Water off a duck's back, isn't that right JC.

Safehands wrote: »
    I don't believe in the Biblical account of Creation. To me it makes absolutely no sense. However, there are those who do believe it and it helps them to get through the day and that has to be positive. Its a little like a doctor prescribing a placebo for a patient with a particular problem. Some well informed people may say "You are only taking a placebo, it's not doing anything, so there is nothing wrong with you" That would be cruel.
    JC seems to be well read. He knows all the arguments and he comes on here for some fun, as most of us do. So, I've no problem arguing with him. Others, who hold similar beliefs, are more sensitive and could be hurt by some of the rational arguments being put forward here. So we need to be careful who we argue with.
    I'd say JC enjoys people saying he's deluded. He'll just come right back, as he's always done. Water off a duck's back, isn't that right JC.

I agree with you on this. It's very close to my own opinion and I do feel guilty if I think I've gone to far with threads like these.

A genuine concern I do have though is with people who would teach their children about the creation myth.

I think it's OK at an early age (after all we give them Santa and the Tooth Fairy so why not) but I think as a kid enters their teens and then prepares to go on to university or college it's not good for them if you have people insisting that "Evolution is just a theory" or hammering in a lot of the, blatantly false, points that are used to "debunk" Evolution.

It would almost be better I think if Christians, who are pushing for Creation to be viewed as a valid academic alternative, just held up their hands and accepted that Evolution is indeed a fact BUT maybe God could have been responsible for Abiogenesis.

I generally find that the most vocal people on the "anti Evolution" side of the argument usually have the biggest gaps in their understanding of Evolution OR they are being wilfully deceptive.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Cen taurus

It would almost be better I think if Christians just held up their hands and accepted that Evolution is indeed a fact

I wouldn't go tarring all Christians with the one brush, the Catholic Church endorses the theory of evolution.

Cen taurus wrote: »
    I wouldn't go tarring all Christians with the one brush, the Catholic Church endorses the theory of evolution.

Sorry my bad. I was aware of that. Will edit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Whilt I agree with most of what you have said above, that does nothing to change the fact that people that believe in YEC are delusional. Now, let me make something clear, as I pointed out in the original post with the definitional quotes, that does not mean I think they are mentally ill, though clearly they could be. It simply means that they hold "a persistent false psychotic belief regarding the self or persons or objects outside the self that is maintained despite indisputable evidence to the contrary."

That this delusion helps them through the day does not make it any less of a delusion, and indeed may go someway to explaining the persistence of the delusion.

MrP

MrPudding wrote: »
    Whilt I agree with most of what you have said above, that does nothing to change the fact that people that believe in YEC are delusional. Now, let me make something clear, as I pointed out in the original post with the definitional quotes, that does not mean I think they are mentally ill, though clearly they could be. It simply means that they hold "a persistent false psychotic belief regarding the self or persons or objects outside the self that is maintained despite indisputable evidence to the contrary."

That this delusion helps them through the day does not make it any less of a delusion, and indeed may go someway to explaining the persistence of the delusion.

MrP
    Calling people with whom you disagree 'dilusional' adds nothing to the debate and is a Name Calling logical fallacy i.e. trying to win an argument by dismissing the person making the argument (rather than engaging with the argument itself).

I'm disappointed that you continue to evoke such fallacies Mr P!!!

Anyway, to get back to your point that Creationists (and in particular Creation Scientists) :-
    "hold "a persistent false psychotic belief regarding the self or persons or objects outside the self that is maintained despite indisputable evidence to the contrary." (emphasis mine).
    Can I quote from an eminent former Evolutionist on the matter of how Creation Scientists set fort their scientific hypotheses and the objective scientific validity of their arguments. I herewith quote from Prof Dean H Kenyon former Professor of Biology and Co-ordinator of the General Biology Programme at San Francisco State University,where he has taught on evolution and the origins of life for many years.
    His published research includes work carried out at NASA Ames Research Centre on the spontaneous chemical origins of life.
    He is certainly not somebody that can be dismissed as being 'psychotic'' and being a former evolutionist, cannot be accused of blind pre-existing faith in Creation or an inability to change his mind, when the evidence warrants it!!

Quote:- (from Foreward to What is Creation Science? Master Books 1999 and emphasis mine):-
    "... there continues to be widespread misunderstanding in the scientific community concerning just what "creation science" is. Many have considered it to be simply religion in disguise and have chosen to shun it altogether, even to the point of refusing to examine any scientific creationist writings. This situation is regrettable and exhibits a degree of closedmindedness quite alien to the spirit of true scientifc inquiry.
    My own initiation into creationist scientific writing came in 1976 with the geological sections of Whitcomb and Morris' The Genesis Flood, and somewhat later, A. E. Wilder-Smith's The Creation of Life: A Cybernetic Approach to Evolution. It soon became apparent to me that the creationist challenge to evolutionism was indeed a formidable one, and I no longer believe that the arguments in Biochemical Predestination ... and in similar books by other authors, add up to an adequate defense of the view that life arose spontaneously on this planet from non-living matter. Over the last number of years I have extensively reviewed the scientific case for creation and now believe that all students of the sciences (at any level) should be taught the major arguments of both the creation and evolution views.
    ... If after reading this book carefully and reflecting on its arguments one still prefers the evolutionary view, or still contends that the creationist view is religion and the evolutionary one is pure science, he should ask himself whether something other than the facts of nature is influencing his thinking about origins."

Can I quote from an eminent former Evolutionist on the matter of how Creation Scientists set fort their scientific hypotheses and the objective scientific validity of their arguments. I herewith quote from Prof Dean H Kenyon former Professor of Biology and Co-ordinator of the General Biology Programme at San Francisco State University,where he has taught on evolution and the origins of life for many years.
    His published research includes work carried out at NASA Ames Research Centre on the spontaneous chemical origins of life.
    He is certainly not somebody that can be dismissed as being 'psychotic'' and being a former evolutionist, cannot be accused of blind pre-existing faith in Creation or an inability to change his mind, when the evidence warrants it!!

Quote:- (from Foreward to What is Creation Science? Master Books 1999 and emphasis mine):-
    "... there continues to be widespread misunderstanding in the scientific community concerning just what "creation science" is. Many have considered it to be simply religion in disguise and have chosen to shun it altogether, even to the point of refusing to examine any scientific creationist writings. This situation is regrettable and exhibits a degree of closedmindedness quite alien to the spirit of true scientifc inquiry.
    My own initiation into creationist scientific writing came in 1976 with the geological sections of Whitcomb and Morris' The Genesis Flood, and somewhat later, A. E. Wilder-Smith's The Creation of Life: A Cybernetic Approach to Evolution. It soon became apparent to me that the creationist challenge to evolutionism was indeed a formidable one, and I no longer believe that the arguments in Biochemical Predestination ... and in similar books by other authors, add up to an adequate defense of the view that life arose spontaneously on this planet from non-living matter. Over the last number of years I have extensively reviewed the scientific case for creation and now believe that all students of the sciences (at any level) should be taught the major arguments of both the creation and evolution views.
    ... If after reading this book carefully and reflecting on its arguments one still prefers the evolutionary view, or still contends that the creationist view is religion and the evolutionary one is pure science, he should ask himself whether something other than the facts of nature is influencing his thinking about origins."
    Great to see you back here JC.
    What you or prof Kenyon present here is not an argument. It is an opinion. Show us some facts to back up his revelation, without having to read a tome.

Great to see you back here JC.
    What you or prof Kenyon present here is not an argument. It is an opinion. Show us some facts to back up his revelation, without having to read a tome.
    Thanks Safehands.

You are correct that it is an opinion ... but crucially, it is a scientifically based professional opinion from an eminent former Evolutionist and the leading scientific authority on Biological Evolution in one of the leading secular Universities in the World (San Francisco State).

In relation to your substantive question about what facts are backing up his scientific opinion on the vanishing case for Evolution (in the Pondkind to Mankind sense of the word) can I say that if one wishes to believe in Evolution, (and it is a belief) then one must believe in it strictly as a matter of faith as there is no scientific/verifiable evidence for evolution that cannot be explained at least as well, and usually better, by creation.

I will quote freely as follows from Chapter 1 pages 1-6 of What is Creation Science? Master Books 1999 as it makes all of the points that I wish to make in answer to your question :-
    "Evolutionists allege that evolution is a proven scientific fact, based on a multitude of scientific proofs, but they are unable to document even one of these supposed proofs!
    This curious situation is illustrated below in quotations from several leading evolutionary scientists.

1. No Evolution at Present.
    The lack of a case for evolution is most clearly recognised by the fact that no one has ever seen it happen.
    "Evolution, at least in the sense that Darwin speaks of it, cannot be detected within the lifetime of a single observer."
    (Dr David B. Kitts, Ph.D.(Zoology) Head Curator, Dept. of Geology, Stoval Museum. Evolution, vol.28, September, 1974. p. 466.)
    Horizontal variations e.g. the different varieties of dogs are not real evolution, of course, ...
    ... A process which has never been observed to occur, in all of human history, should not be called scientific.

2. No New Species.
    Charles Darwin is popularly supposed to have solved the problem of "the origin of species", in his famous 1859 book of that title. However, as the eminent Harvard biologist, Ernst Mayr, one of the nation's top evolutionists has observed:
    "Darwin never really did discuss the origin of species in his On the Origin of Species" (as cited by a prominent modern evolutionist, Niles Eldredge, in his book, Time Frames: The Rethinking of Darwinian Evolution and the Theory of Punctuated Equilibria (New York: Simon and Schuster, 1985), p. 33.)

Not only could Darwin not cite a single example of a new species originating, but neither has anyone else, in all the subsequent century of evolutionary study.

"No one has ever produced a species by mechanisms of natural selection. No one has gotten near it. . . ." (Dr Colin Patterson, Senior Paleontologist at the British Museum of Natural History "Cladistics." Interview on BBC, March 4, 1982.)

3. No Known Mechanism of Evolution.
    It is also a very curious fact that no one understands how evolution works. Evolutionists commonly protest that they know evolution is true, but they can't seem to determine its mechanism.

"Evolution is . . . troubled from within by the troubling complexities of genetic and developmental mechanisms and new questions about the central mystery--speciation itself." (Keith S. Thompson, "The Meanings of Evolution," American Scientist (vol. 70, September/October 1982), p. 529.)

One would think that in the 125 years following Darwin, with thousands of trained biologists studying the problem and using millions of dollars worth of complex lab equipment, they would have worked it out by now, but the mechanism which originates new species is still "the central mystery."

4. No Fossil Evidence.
    It used to be claimed that the best evidence for evolution was the fossil record, but the fact is that the billions of known fossils have not yet yielded a single unequivocal transitional form with transitional structures in the process of evolving.

"The known fossil record fails to document a single example of phyletic evolution accomplishing a major morphologic transition. . . ." (Steven M. Stanley, Macroevolution: Pattern and Process (San Francisco: W.M. Freeman and Co., 1979), p. 39.)

This ubiquitous absence of intermediate forms is true not only for "major morphologic transitions," but even for most species.

"As is now well known, most fossil species appear instantaneously in the fossil record, persist for some millions of years virtually unchanged, only to disappear abruptly. . . ." (Dr Tom Kemp, Curator of the University Museum at Oxford University, "A Fresh Look at the Fossil Record," New Scientist (Vol. 108; December 5, 1985), p. 67.)

As a result, many modern evolutionists agree with the following assessment:

"In any case, no real evolutionist . . . uses the fossil record as evidence in favor of the theory of evolution as opposed to special creation. . . ." (Dr Mark Ridley, Professor of Zoology at Oxford University, "Who Doubts Evolution?" New Scientist (vol. 90; June 25, 1981), p. 831.)

5. No Order in the Fossils.
    Not only are there no true transitional forms in the fossils; there is not even any general evidence of evolutionary progression in the actual fossil sequences

"The fossil record of evolution is amenable to a wide variety of models ranging from completely deterministic to completely stochastic." (Dr David M. Raup, "Probabilistic Models in Evolutionary Biology" American Scientist (vol. 166. January/February 1977), p. 57.)

"I regard the failure to find a clear "vector of progress" in life's history as the most puzzling fact of the fossil record. . . . we have sought to impose a pattern that we hoped to find on a world that does not really display it." (Prof Stephen Jay Gould, Professor of Geology at Harvard, "The Ediacaran Experiment," Natural History (vol. 93; February 1984), p. 23.)

The superficial appearance of an evolutionary pattern in the fossil record has actually been imposed on it by the fact that the rocks containing the fossils have themselves been "dated" by their fossils.

"And this poses something of a problem: If we date the rocks by their fossils, how can we then turn around and talk about patterns of evolutionary change through time in the fossil record?" (Dr Niles Eldredge, in his book, Time Frames: The Rethinking of Darwinian Evolution and the Theory of Punctuated Equilibria (New York: Simon and Schuster, 1985), p 52).

"A circular argument arises: Interpret the fossil record in the terms of a particular theory of evolution, inspect the interpretation, and note that it confirms the theory. Well, it would, wouldn't it?" (Dr Tom Kemp, Curator of the University Museum at Oxford University, "A Fresh Look at the Fossil Record," New Scientist (Vol. 108; December 5, 1985), p. 66.)

6. No Evidence That Evolution Is Possible.
    The basic reason why there is no scientific evidence of evolution in either the present or the past is that the law of increasing entropy, or the second law of thermodynamics, contradicts the very premise of evolution. The evolutionist assumes that the whole universe has evolved upward from a single primeval particle to human beings, but the second law (one of the best-proved laws of science) says that the whole universe is running down into complete disorder.

"How can the forces of biological development and the forces of physical degeneration be operating at cross purposes? It would take, of course, a far greater mind than mine even to attempt to penetrate this riddle. I can only pose the question. . . ." (Sydney Harris, "Second Law of Thermodynamics." in the San Francisco Examiner on January 27, 1984.)

Evolutionists commonly attempt to sidestep this question by asserting that the second law applies only to isolated systems. But this is wrong!

". . . the quantity of entropy generated locally cannot be negative irrespective of whether the system is isolated or not." (Dr Arnold Sommerfeld, Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics (New York: Academic Press, 1956), p. 155.)

"Ordinarily the second law is stated for isolated systems, but the second law applies equally well to open systems." (Dr John Ross, Letter-to-the-Editor, Chemical and Engineering News (July 7, 1980), p. 40.)

Entropy can be forced to decrease in an open system, if enough organizing energy and information is applied to it from outside the system. This externally introduced complexity would have to be adequate to overcome the normal internal increase in entropy when raw energy is added from outside. However, no such external source of organized and energized information is available to the supposed evolutionary process. Raw solar energy is not organized information!

7. No Evidence From Similarities.
    The existence of similarities between organisms--whether in external morphology or internal biochemistry--is easily explained as the Creator's design of similar systems for similar functions, but such similarities are not explicable by common evolutionary descent.

"It is now clear that the pride with which it was assumed that the inheritance of homologous structures from a common ancestor explained homology was misplaced. (Sir Gavin de Beer, Homology, an Unsolved Problem (London: Oxford University Press, 1971), p. 15.)

"The really significant finding that comes to light from comparing the proteins' amino acid sequences is that it is impossible to arrange them in any sort of an evolutionary series." (Michael Denton, Evolution: A Theory in Crisis (London: Burnett Books, 1985), p. 289.)

8. No Recapitulation or Vestigial Organs.
    The old arguments for evolution based on the recapitulation theory (the idea that embryonic development in the womb recapitulates the evolution of the species) and vestigial organs ("useless" organs believed to have been useful in an earlier stage of evolution) have long been discredited.

". . . the theory of recapitulation . . . should be defunct today." (Prof Stephen Jay Gould, "Dr. Down's Syndrome," Natural History (April 1980), p. 144.)

"An analysis of the difficulties in unambiguously identifying functionless structures . . . leads to the conclusion that "vestigial organs" provide no evidence for evolutionary theory." (Dr S.R. Scadding, "Do `Vestigial Organs' Provide Evidence for Evolution?" Evolutionary Theory (vol. 5, May 1981), p. 173.)"

• Advertisement

You are correct that it is an opinion ... but crucially, it is a scientifically based professional opinion from an eminent former Evolutionist and the leading scientific authority on Biological Evolution in one of the leading secular Universities in the World (San Francisco State).

In relation to your substantive question about what facts are backing up his scientific opinion on the vanishing case for Evolution (in the Pondkind to Mankind sense of the word) can I say that if one wishes to believe in Evolution, (and it is a belief) then one must believe in it strictly as a matter of faith as there is no scientific/verifiable evidence for evolution thet cannot be explained at least as well, and usually better, by creation.

I will quote freely as follows from Chapter 1 pages 1-6 of What is Creation Science? Master Books 1999 as it makes all of the points that I wish to make in answer to your question :-
    OK, so lets assume all of the quotes are true JC. What you are saying is that evolution is not true so therefore it follows that creation is. So where is the proof for this?

OK, so lets assume all of the quotes are true JC.
    All the quotes are true ... and nothing has changed in the mean-time since they were made ... other than further disproof for Pondkind to Mankind Evolution.
    What you are saying is that evolution is not true so therefore it follows that creation is. So where is the proof for this?
    Again I'll quote liberally from from Chapter 1 pages 7-9 of What is Creation Science? Master Books 1999 as it succinctly makes many of the points that I wish to make in answer to your question :-
    (Pondkind to Mankind) evolution is not true and "apart from its necessity as a support for Atheism and Pantheism, there is clearly no scientific evidence for evolution.
    The absence of evidence for evolution does not, by itself, prove creation, of course; nevertheless, special creation is clearly the only alternative to evolution.

"Creation and evolution, between them, exhaust the possible explanations for the origin of living things. Organisms either appeared on the earth fully developed or they did not. If they did not, they must have developed from pre-existing species by some process of modification. If they did appear in a fully developed state, they must have been created by some omnipotent intelligence." (D.J. Futuyma, Science on Trial (New York: Pantheon Books, 1983), p. 197.)
    While we admittedly cannot prove creation, it is important to note that all the facts offered as evidence against evolution (gaps between kinds, no evolutionary mechanism, increasing entropy, etc.) are actual predictions from the creation "model!"

Creationists prefer the reasonable faith of creationism, which is supported by all the real scientific evidence, to the credulous faith of evolutionism, which is supported by no real scientific evidence. The question remains unanswered (scientifically, at least) as to why evolutionists prefer to believe in evolution.

It is not possible to prove, in the experimental sense, either evolution or creation, since we can neither observe past history directly nor reproduce it in the laboratory. Nevertheless, we can compare and contrast the respective abilities of the evolution and creation models to explain - and even to predict - those scientific data which can be directly observed. Scientists who are creationists maintain that the creation model is far more effective than the evolution model in doing this.

... The Nature of True Science
    Science means "Knowledge", not speculative philosophy or naturalism. The essence of the scientific method is measurement, observation, repeatability. The great philosopher of science Karl Popper, stresses that falsifiability is the necessary criterion of genuine science. That is, a hypothesis must at least in principle, be testable and capable of being refuted, if it is truly scientific.
    Clearly, neither model of origins - creation or evolution - is scientific in this sense. Neither one can be tested, for the simple reason that we cannot repeat history. The origin of the universe, the origin of life, the origin of man, and all such events took place in the past and cannot now be studied in the laboratory. They are entirely beyond the reach of the scientific method in the proper sense.
    That does not mean, however, that their results cannot be observed and tested. That is, we can define two "models" of origins, and then make comparative predictions as to what our observations should find if evolution is true, and conversely, what we should find if creation is true.
    ... According to the evolution model, the origin and development of all things can be explained in terms of continuing natural laws and processes operating in a self-contained universe. The basis of the creation model is that at least some things must be attributed to completed supernatural proceeses in an open universe. These are really the only two possibilities.
    In this form the creation model is quite independent of the Biblical record, and can be evaluated solely in terms of the scientific data."

Thanks Safehands.

In relation to your substantive question about what facts are backing up his scientific opinion on the vanishing case for Evolution (in the Pondkind to Mankind sense of the word) can I say that if one wishes to believe in Evolution, (and it is a belief) then one must believe in it strictly as a matter of faith as there is no scientific/verifiable evidence for evolution that cannot be explained at least as well, and usually better, by creation.

"Evolutionists allege that evolution is a proven scientific fact, based on a multitude of scientific proofs, but they are unable to document even one of these supposed proofs!
    This curious situation is illustrated below in quotations from several leading evolutionary scientists.

As far as I can tell, you are not putting forward any arguments for Creationism.

I read your entire wall of text there and all you did was debunk Evolution rather than to provide the scientific evidence of Creationism.

If I were to agree with you and say that Evolution is off the table then does that mean that the only other available option is Creationism?

What if the truth is still hidden? What if Evolution is wrong and Creationism is also wrong?

The story here seems to be that if Evolution is wrong then Creationism must be right? There are no other options at all? That doesnt seem right.

If I take your post on good faith then Evolution is false. Great. There is no evidence supporting Creationism either though. So both are invalid. Now what?

Personally, I think that Evolution is one of the best supported scientific theories out there and your attempts to debunk it are laughable BUT I would definitely be persuaded by an argument that proves Creationism is correct.

So, instead of trying to debunk the existing, most widely accepted, theory, why don't you present the Theory of Creation and lets see what you've got.

"Creation and evolution, between them, exhaust the possible explanations for the origin of living things. Organisms either appeared on the earth fully developed or they did not. If they did not, they must have developed from pre-existing species by some process of modification. If they did appear in a fully developed state, they must have been created by some omnipotent intelligence." (D.J. Futuyma, Science on Trial (New York: Pantheon Books, 1983), p. 197.)
    While we admittedly cannot prove creation, it is important to note that all the facts offered as evidence against evolution (gaps between kinds, no evolutionary mechanism, increasing entropy, etc.) are actual predictions from the creation "model!"

This is ridiculous and, in my opinion, quite dishonest.

We are starting with the assumption that there are only two possible viewpoints. Then we make an attempt to discredit viewpoint A so that we dont actually have to prove viewpoint B.

It's like saying either Team A is the best or Team B is the best. Then pointing out that Team A lost this one time so it follows that Team B (which is oh so conveniently your team) is the best. What about teams C, D, E etc?

It never ceases to amaze me how Creation "Scientists" attempt to trick people into seeing things their way. Instead of just honestly presenting your proof of Creation you say Creation and Evolution are the ONLY options. You then try (and fail spectacularly) to "debunk" Evolution before proclaiming that the only option left is God.

I am curious though, why do you think that most people accept the Theory of Evolution when it is so obviously wrong? Same reasons people believe in God, right?

As far as I can tell, you are not putting forward any arguments for Creationism.

I read your entire wall of text there and all you did was debunk Evolution rather than to provide the scientific evidence of Creationism.
    I'll get to the proofs for Creation later.
    If I were to agree with you and say that Evolution is off the table then does that mean that the only other available option is Creationism?
    In a word, yes ... and that is why Evolutionists and Creationists are the only ones debating the origins issue ... there are only two fundamental alternatives to how we originated ...
    ... and this is confirmed by looking at the debate on this thread and by the following quote from Dr D.J. Futuyma:-
    "Creation and evolution, between them, exhaust the possible explanations for the origin of living things. Organisms either appeared on the earth fully developed or they did not. If they did not, they must have developed from pre-existing species by some process of modification. If they did appear in a fully developed state, they must have been created by some omnipotent intelligence."
    ... and please remember that this is one of the leading Evolutionary Biologists in the world saying that there are only two basic explantions for origins (Evolution or Creation). Dr Futuyma has been president of the Society for the Study of Evolution, and of the American Society of Naturalists. He was the editor of Evolution and the Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_J._Futuyma
    What if the truth is still hidden? What if Evolution is wrong and Creationism is also wrong?
    Not relevant until such a 'third way' (if it is even exists) is proposed and evaluated.
    The story here seems to be that if Evolution is wrong then Creationism must be right? There are no other options at all? That doesnt seem right.
    Like I have said, it is the correct approach unless and until a 'third way' (if it exists at all) is proposed and evaluated.
    If I take your post on good faith then Evolution is false. Great. There is no evidence supporting Creationism either though. So both are invalid. Now what?
    There's the thing ... there is very strong supporting evidence for Direct Creation ... and I'll deal with it later.
    Personally, I think that Evolution is one of the best supported scientific theories out there and your attempts to debunk it are laughable BUT I would definitely be persuaded by an argument that proves Creationism is correct.

So, instead of trying to debunk the existing, most widely accepted, theory, why don't you present the Theory of Creation and lets see what you've got.
    Debunking the current accepted theory is very important, if you are proposing an alternative ... it would be essential in order to establish, not only the alternative Creation theory, but also the need for an alternative theory of origins to evolution, in the first place.

In a word, yes ... and that is why Evolutionists (and Creationists) are the only ones debating the origins issue ... there are only two fundamental alternatives to how we originated ... and this is confirmed by looking at the debate on this thread and by the following quote from D.J. Futuyma:-
    "Creation and evolution, between them, exhaust the possible explanations for the origin of living things. Organisms either appeared on the earth fully developed or they did not. If they did not, they must have developed from pre-existing species by some process of modification. If they did appear in a fully developed state, they must have been created by some omnipotent intelligence."

Not relevant until such a 'third way' (if it is even exists) is proposed and evaluated.

Like I have said, it is the correct approach unless and until a 'third way' is proposed and evaluated.

There is the thing ... there is very strong supporting evidence for Direct Creation ... and I'll deal with it later.

Debunking the current accepted theory is very important, if you are proposing an alternative ... it would be essential in order to establish, not only the alternative Creation theory, but the need for an alternative theory of origins to evolution, in the first place.

My understanding is that the majority of Christians believe in both Creation and Evolution, am I wrong? Maybe someone can correct me on this?

Evolution does not deal with the origin of life. Evolution deals with the origin of species.

As far as I know most Christians believe that God is responsible for the origin of life and Evolution is responsible for the origin of species?

When you talk about the "origins issue" what do you mean there?

IF we were created then why must the intelligence that created us be omnipotent? Omnipotence is the power to do anything but who says that an intelligence that can create Humans must also have the power to travel back in time or cheat death? The ability to create life does not equal omnipotence.

Why couldn't we just be created by unintelligent natural processes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Quatermain

It is at this point that I really, really need to indicate the extent of the frank dishonesty at work here. There is a type of logical fallacy known as 'The Quote Mine', in which the words of a particular person are taken out of context, or even with notable phrases omitted, in a feeble attempt to misrepresent their position. Let me show you what I mean.
    "In any case, no real evolutionist . . . uses the fossil record as evidence in favor of the theory of evolution as opposed to special creation. . . ."
    - Dr Mark Ridley, "Who Doubts Evolution?" New Scientist (vol. 90; June 25, 1981), p. 831

All well and good, you might think, but for the ellipses. However, let's take a look at the rest of what Dr Ridley is talking about.
    Someone is getting it wrong, and it isn't Darwin; it is the creationists and the media." (page 830)

In any case, no real evolutionist, whether gradualist or punctuationist, uses the fossil record as evidence in favor of evolution as opposed to special creation. The does not mean that the theory of evolution is unproven."

"So what is the evidence that species have evolved? There have traditionally been three kinds of evidence, and it is these, not the "fossil evidence", that the critics should be thinking about. The three arguments are from the observed evolution of species, from biogeography, and from the hierarchical structure of taxonomy. (page 831)

"These three are the clearest arguments for the mutability of species. Other defences of the theory of evolution could be made, not the least of which is the absence of a coherent alternative. Darwin's theory is also uniquely able to account for both the presence of design, and the absence of design (vestigial organs), in nature." (page 832)

Pretty shabby trick, one would think. But wait, there's more. Let's look at Dr Kemp.
    "A circular argument arises: Interpret the fossil record in the terms of a particular theory of evolution, inspect the interpretation, and note that it confirms the theory. Well, it would, wouldn't it?"
    - Dr Tom Kemp, "A Fresh Look at the Fossil Record," New Scientist (Vol. 108; December 5, 1985), p. 67.

And once again, we find that there is more to this.
    The fact that the fossil data did not, on the whole, seem to fit this prevailing model of the process of evolution - for example, in the absence of intermediate forms and of gradually changing lineages over millions of years - was readily explained by the notorious incompleteness of the fossil record. In other words, when the assumed evolutionary processes did not match the pattern of fossils that they were supposed to have generated, the pattern was judged to be "wrong". A circular argument arises: interpret the fossil record in terms of a particular theory of evolution, inspect the interpretation, and note that it confirms the theory. Well, it would, wouldn't it?

Spearheaded by this extraordinary journal, palaeontology is now looking at what it actually finds, not what it is told that it is supposed to find. As is now well known, most fossil species appear instantaneously in the record, persist for some millions of years virtually unchanged, only to disappear abruptly - the "punctuated equilibrium" pattern of Eldredge and Gould. Irrespective of one's view of the biological causes of such a pattern (and there continues to be much debate about this), it leads in practice to description of long-term evolution, or macroevolution, in terms of the differential survival, extinction and proliferation of species. The species is the unit of evolution.

Pretty telling. It's almost as if the whole idea of creationism hinges on people not actually reading into things, and rather taking them at face value. Bizarre.

For further reading, I do heartily recommend The Quote Mine Project on talkorigins. http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/quotes/mine/project.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I've just checked the forum charter, unfortunately quote mining isn't a bannable offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Quatermain

What's that?! Even *more* simplistic quote-mining designed to make it look as though Dr Futuyma, president of the Society for the Study of Evolution, and of the American Society of Naturalists, also editor of Evolution and the Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics, admits to creationism?

Note that the quoted fragment ends with a full stop, as though he had finished his sentence. We continue.
    "Creation and evolution, between them, exhaust the possible explanations for the origin of living things. Organisms either appeared on the earth fully developed or they did not. If they did not, they must have developed from pre-existing species by some process of modification. If they did appear in a fully developed state, they must have been created by some omnipotent intelligence, for no natural process could possibly form inanimate molecules into an elephant or a redwood tree in one step. If species were created out of nothing in their present form, they would bear within them no evidence of a former history; if they are the result of historical development, any evidence of history is evidence of evolution."

- Science on Trial: The Case for Evolution, New York: Pantheon Books, 1983. Page. 197.

Your approach to the subject is rapidly approaching outright lies by this stage. You even went so far as to leave out the subtitle of the book: "The Case for Evolution".

• Advertisement

.....Like I have said, it is the correct approach unless and until a 'third way' (if it existhe thing ... there is very strong supporting evidence for Direct Creation ... and I'll deal with it later.
    ....There's the thing ... there is very strong supporting evidence for Direct Creation ... and I'll deal with it later.

Ooooh JC, I'm really drooling here waiting. Deal with it now... please.
    OK, so you're not going to deal with it until "later".
    You propose creationism, so let's try and evaluate what we all know, about this topic, shall we?
    Creationism comes from the Bible, a book that tells us night and day, light and darkness, came before the sun came into existence. Lets evaluate that! Hmmm... my evaluation is that this early, first page of the book, lacks any credibility and so it can be dismissed as nonsense.
    Any comments anyone? Marks out of ten for my evaluation please. (Don't be too hard on me JC. You just think I am an athiest)

Advertisement