Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Was more last night, but first time back on the road bike in ages. Decided to go out for an hour or so. Before setting off I said to herself to wish me luck with not getting punctured, well I was only out a half hour and the dreaded glass soon put a stop to things. Headed out towards Lucan and was coming back in the Palmerstown direction and him what must have been the top of a beer bottle or something along those lines, Gaterskin Tyre ballsed tube ripped to peaces and me at the side of the road effing and blinding like mad..

I really don't know what's with Irish people, but we (or some wa*kers) just like to smash glass and are generally just dirty. This isn't the first time I have had the same luck, and to be honest I'm finding it more and more off putting. Anyway rant over :-) I'll try my luck again when I get a new rear tyre and spare tubes.

I'm sure some people also put glass in cycle lanes deliberately. Pretty annoying and it's kind of made me avoid cycling lanes as much as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

Koobcam wrote: »
    I'm sure some people also put glass in cycle lanes deliberately. Pretty annoying and it's kind of made me avoid cycling lanes as much as possible
    It was actually in the bus lane, but I say you are right. Like I said it been a while since I have taken the Road bike out, but these situations are frustrating at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

Koobcam wrote: »

Ugh... Why would people deliberately put glass in cycle lanes? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Garzard

32.1km today from Knocklyon - Walkinstown - Crumlin - stopped in DIT Bolton St for a coffee - through O'Connell Street - onto Rathgar - Tempelogue - Knocklyon. Much colder than yesterday I thought and took a fair while to warm up even after the coffee and with 2 sets of gloves on! :p

100.69km today. Cycled to work, took a 9 hour break, then cycled home a long way to crack 100. Really wanted to get a century under my belt as the weather looks wintry from Wednesday onwards.

About 21kph so not setting the world alight but it's more about distance for the legs at this time of year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Very early morning spin (5:20am)

Home > around Bohernabreena reservoirs > Ballinascorney > Seskin > Home > Work

60km total, 1024m climbing.

Descending Corbally Descent, pitch black, with city lights at the horizon below flickering through branches - this was a truly magic experience.

Felt very smooth and safe, only later I discovered the average was 48kmh :eek:

All that on studded tyres, why oh why.

http://app.strava.com/activities/246759330

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

64kms this morning. Greystones to Stepaside. Up Cruagh to Glencullen. Kiltiernan back to Greystones. Slight drizzle around Cruagh but other than that, a great spin.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Lunch time Rathfarham - Blue light - Foxes - Cruagh spin. Only 22k @ 23kph, helped by a 65k descent on Pine forest road. Love going down that hill!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

70 minutes on the turbo for the weekly endurance training. Hill training on Thursday. Already dreading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

minus 4 on the ride home this morning! Quite icy in patches so had to take it easy - just as well as I was wrecked after a full nights work (not used to it..)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Doing SufferFest - Have 3 stages done in last 3 days, 3 hours covering 87km. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Went out for a few loops of cruagh and stocking to try and box off the strava climbing challenge for January.

Went up cruagh, down stocking and was half way back up stocking when a snow blizzard hit in hard. Kept going to viewing point and by then it had got even worse.

Descended via cruagh very slowly but just got past the glencullen turn off when I had to get off and walk such was the road snow cover.

Thankfully a couple of lads on the way back from a walk stopped and gave me a lift down to the bottom. Was perfect weather again five minutes later looking back over the mountain. Just shows you how you can get caught on the hop so quickly in the hills. Thanks again to the lads if they are reading!

https://www.strava.com/activities/247320126

25 k with 690m, the climbing challenge will have to wait til tomorrow to be done and dusted!

41 kms this afternoon. Greystones to Deansgrange and back. Literally all four seasons, wind rain snow and glorious sunshine. And that was before i even got over Bray Head!

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Just under 50km from Newbridge to UCD this morning. I got a puncture in Tallaght, just opposite the stadium. Thing is, this is the THIRD puncture I've had in almost the same spot in the last two weeks, all in the rear wheel, but all on different wheels. What is the story? Very bad day to puncture also as I then almost froze to death-my hands still haven't fully recovered. Might stick to the indoor spin bike until this cold snap ends...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

41 kms this afternoon. Greystones to Deansgrange and back. Literally all four seasons, wind rain snow and glorious sunshine. And that was before i even got over Bray Head!
    thats a grand spin up & over wingates to get your heart rate up and running, nice on a good day, can imagine it was a biatch on a bad windy rainy/snowy day.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Cycling home from work today in the snow - bitter cold and I met a fellow cyclist in his mid 50's with only one glove. Very nice and friendly.
    He was gutted the poor man. My fingers froze with 2 pairs of gloves so I don't know how he managed.
    I can't stop thinking about him, hope he got home ok.

Bloggsie wrote: »
    thats a grand spin up & over wingates to get your heart rate up and running, nice on a good day, can imagine it was a biatch on a bad windy rainy/snowy day.

Actually wasn't too bad, even managed a personal best coming back over!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    Cycling home from work today in the snow - bitter cold and I met a fellow cyclist in his mid 50's with only one glove. Very nice and friendly.
    He was gutted the poor man. My fingers froze with 2 pairs of gloves so I don't know how he managed.
    I can't stop thinking about him, hope he got home ok.

I presume you gave him one of your " 2 pairs " of gloves , the poor man :)

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

20c1aaf0e4a7de501142e8bc2c90ecff.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

89km and 1240m of climbing around Howth. Fairly blustery out there today. Strava climbing challenge done I think. Still one ride left on Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭devonp

cycled home from town to leixlip in the snow, glad i'm using the hybrid with lumpy thickish (38c) tyres
    worst part was the snow going into my eyes, very stingy and blinding, feet absolutely frozen, no skids or falls

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Useless Fecker

Spin around Skerries before work, cold and windy this morning. 37km and just 23 kph, cold and windy out there this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Galway cycle again. 50km plus 20 of my own. Nice 70 km. Windy as bejaysus on the way out but had it at our backs on the way home. Strava decided to go in strike 3 km in so no idea how quick it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

Went to ballyhoura with another boardsie today. He was with a couple of his mates who hadn't been before so the pace was pretty relaxed,but absolutely freezing,got hit by snow,rain and everything else you can think of.

I had spent a bit of time setting up the suspension on the bike during the week as I had rebuilt the fork a few weeks previous,and just pumped it to a roughly correct pressure. It made such a difference getting my rebound and pressures perfect,not too much pedal bob,but serious impact absorption. The cable pinch bolt on my front mech slipped loose today,so I was stuck in the granny ring for all of it. I usually challenge myself for not using that ring,and to keep the cadence up on the regular ring,but It did make climbing easy.

211 km through Ratoath, Summerhill, Rathmolyon, Athboy, Oldcastle, Kells and back down. Started off windy, frosty and cold..stayed windy and cold, then it got colder later on. Time for a curry and a beer !

https://www.strava.com/activities/248664828

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

211 km through Ratoath, Summerhill, Rathmolyon, Athboy, Oldcastle, Kells and back down.

That's the (audax) spirit! I thought about doing a mere 130km in that area but looked outside, chickened out and went for a short 50 in Wicklow only :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Alek wrote: »
    That's the (audax) spirit! I thought about doing a mere 130km in that area but looked outside, chickened out and went for a short 50 in Wicklow only :o

Any your audax friend did 250ish yesterday?

Alek wrote: »

Probably a wiser decision ! There was all sorts of muck on the roads of NCD and Meath, as well as everything else. Man I gotta get some mudguards..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

Galway City, Rossaveal, Oughterard and back to Galway City.
    93.1km - 4:43:15 - 894m
    Not a great average speed as my friend got cold and bonked. :'(

I've been talking about cycling to Rossaveal and Oughterard for ages.
    Finally did it today, with my buddy. Got pelted with hail stones on one of the harder climbs.

https://www.strava.com/activities/248674613/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Galway cycle training again today including cycle out to it and back it worked out to about 65km . When I got home I did fundraising for the charity at the local shop which was 2hours on the turbo , same again next sat .
    A bit of a break from the galway cycle training tomorrow to go to the junior tour sportive .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement