Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS CAR OF THE WEEK/DAY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

^^^Wow, I know those Pugs were crazy expensive when new. Assuming that ones in order which on the face of it, it would seem to be (although sellers pretty stingy with the photos) then its a great bargain....especially if the year on the number plate is a big thing for you...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,397 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Change Of Vehicle Ownership
    Purchased by a Dealer on : 22/08/2014

Notified on : 22/08/2014

• Registered Users Posts: 23,289 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

That's stupidly cheap and up 10 days so I would put money that all is far from well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

• Registered Users Posts: 65,030 ✭✭✭✭unkel

mickdw wrote: »
    That's stupidly cheap and up 10 days so I would put money that all is far from well.

Nobody in Ireland wants to pay €1,000 tax and do 25MPG on an '07 car when you can get away with €180 tax on a 50MPG '08 car :D

Tis in Cork too, which doesn't help

As always in bangernomics though, eyes wide open. Always be suspicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

unkel wrote: »
    '07 Peugeot 407 Coupé, NCT 04/15

Beautiful car!

32585282.jpeg

Linky

Asking €2,350. It says no offers, but the ad is 9 days old and the engine is a 2.2l petrol. Give it a few more days and chances are you'll buy it within our €2k budget

No offers usually means just that, Great value and not far off bangernomics but to get €350 off in any circumstances, but especially in a "no offers" situation is a big ask.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    to get €350 off in any circumstances, but especially in a "no offers" situation is a big ask.

Not in my experience. It depends of course on the car. If the car is perfect, I grant you it's unlikely you'll get that sort of money off that car

Few cars are perfect though and that's where a rather large negotiation gap can open up

But this is all idle speculation as I don't intend to buy the car so won't have it thoroughly checked out :)

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Change Of Vehicle Ownership
    Purchased by a Dealer on : 22/08/2014

Notified on : 22/08/2014

Cars Ireland has it as just 2 owners. It's probably a UK import so probably 1 or 2 owners there too.

Also it's taxed till the end of November. Worth about €160 too!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

02' E Class (2.6 Auto), tax till December, nct till february. Asking €895, Wexford.
    33500049.jpeg

Lovely. I'd nearly buy that just to have owned a Mercedes :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,039 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Hal1 wrote: »
    02' E Class (2.6 Auto), tax till December, nct till february. Asking €895, Wexford.
    33500049.jpeg
    Funny/odd that seller is also advertising the same car under Damaged/Repairable.

Nice Saab under the same category, but 'needs track rod end' & 'insurance recovery' does not really add up either...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Ad for the 407 is gone - I merely clicked to have a look at more pics because I like the look of these 407 coupes for some reason.

They are very colour sensitive though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Another good car creeping into Bangernomics money;

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/opel-astra/7785399

33579352.jpeg

NCT til 7/15, one months tax.

cheap ??

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2006opel-vectra-diesel-nct-april-2016/7753478

2006opel vectra diesel nct april 2016

€ 1,750

• Registered Users Posts: 73,397 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Next is legit anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 12,895 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Another good car creeping into Bangernomics money;

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/opel-astra/7785399

33579352.jpeg

NCT til 7/15, one months tax.

Never liked the back lights on those, the indicators were hard to see in bright sunlight behind that white cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

flazio wrote: »
    Never liked the back lights on those, the indicators were hard to see in bright sunlight behind that white cover.

+1 on that, especially as they aged the cover became very opaque.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

nookie wrote: »
    . Plan as of the moment is to send it back for breaking once I've used up the tax and the tires ;-) but if there's any interest I'll offer it here first.

I'm slightly disgusted you got to that car literally two hours before me.

Are you planning on doing any maintenance between now and January? I'd guess the answer is no, so you might as well scrap it to get your value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Stheno wrote: »
    I'm slightly disgusted you got to that car literally two hours before me.

Are you planning on doing any maintenance between now and January? I'd guess the answer is no, so you might as well scrap it to get your value for money.

Agreed, this was a poster on here's car as well I believe! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭nookie

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I will be treating it in exactly the same manner as I treat all my cars, which means it'll be looked after during my time with it.

Will I be paying for any major repairs? No. I intend to waft around in it until the new year (3 days with it has already taught me that attempting to use up the tires on top of the tax will cost me a small fortune in petrol so waft it is) and then ideally sell it on again for somewhere near what I paid for it less the tax. If I can't manage that then unfortunately it will go back to where I got it from and the inevitable will happen.

Would that be a shame, yes of course it would - it's far too nice a car for that, but I want to get rid of it after four months ideally after nothing has gone wrong and regret it for the rest of my life than keep it for two years, have it break my heart and resent it for the rest of my life.

Maybe you should stay in touch with Stheno?
    If you already know that you have someone interested in the car then I'd take some small care of it.
    Remember, those cars (especially the V6's) need TLC. If you do neglect it and then sell it on you are potentially giving the new owner nothing but grief.
    Not having a go at you, but it's quite a rare car on Irish roads that if it were me I would be taking care of it.
    Out of curiosity, was the timing belt and water pump done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭nookie

This post has been deleted.

I've absolutely no intention of neglecting it. That being said though I've no intention of undertaking any hefty repair bills either though on what ultimately was a €900 car. Given that I'd be surprised if I put 2k miles on it, I'm hoping that it will not fall apart under my caretaker-ship. Belt and pump was done at 69k, and it's now at just under 105k.

Tbh I had actually delayed all weekend in deciding to take it - half hoping that someone who could give it a more loving home than I could would take it. But I'd been told that if it wasn't gone by Sunday evening that a sledge was going through the front wing, so when it was still there Sunday lunch-time I decided to jump, on the proviso that if I couldn't find a better home for it, it'd go back. Thankfully I've already received two expressions of interest from other boards members already so here's hoping that won't have to happen.

Hmm I'd say the belt will need doing very soon.
    36k on it already, actually you are bordering on playing roulette with it.
    If you don't want any hefty bills then I'd be selling it quite soon
    As I said before, I didn't mean to sound harsh or anything. Just annoys me when people buy these cars - pay feck all attention to them and then when something goes wrong scream ""sure Alfas are ****e"".
    Not saying that's you but you see it a lot.

bear1 wrote: »

The Bussos are far less prone to belt snapping than the twin sparks. On a sub 1k bangernomics Busso, I wouldn't change the belt under 50k miles myself. And after 50k miles, I'd probably sell :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,289 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

bear1 wrote: »
    If you don't want any hefty bills then I'd be selling it quite soon
    As I said before, I didn't mean to sound harsh or anything. Just annoys me when people buy these cars - pay feck all attention to them and then when something goes wrong scream ""sure Alfas are ****e"".
    Not saying that's you but you see it a lot.

I owned a 166 from 3 years old for about 3 years. Now I take very good care of my cars, spend too much on them in general but I will be honest and say the alfa broke me down.
    At that stage everything was main dealer as they were relatively new and quite rare.
    The repair costs did get out of hand given that it was a newish car with 47k miles when I bought it.
    It needed a constant list of repairs. It was an ex company car too so was well looked after prior to my ownership.

Just an alternative view on it.

mickdw wrote: »
    I owned a 166 from 3 years old for about 3 years. Now I take very good care of my cars, spend too much on them in general but I will be honest and say the alfa broke me down.
    At that stage everything was main dealer as they were relatively new and quite rare.
    The repair costs did get out of hand given that it was a newish car with 47k miles when I bought it.
    It needed a constant list of repairs. It was an ex company car too so was well looked after prior to my ownership.

Just an alternative view on it.

I hear ya. When I got my 156 it was a seriously neglected car.
    Faults everywhere but I was smitten.
    I tackled each one by one until eventually I got the car exactly how it should have been. It cost me pretty penny but I loved that car so much that I didn't care. Stupidity I know but I'd do it all again.
    I bought her with 110k miles? I think anyway. Scrapped it with near enough 250k on it.
    If you buy a Sunday car then no amount of repairs will cure it.
    Anyway enough of the Alfa talk :D

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/car/7792148

Good run around car I'd say or leaner car.
    Plenty of tax and NCT 02/15 - 900e

• Registered Users Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

I've absolutely no intention of neglecting it. That being said though I've no intention of undertaking any hefty repair bills either though on what ultimately was a €900 car. Given that I'd be surprised if I put 2k miles on it, I'm hoping that it will not fall apart under my caretaker-ship. Belt and pump was done at 69k, and it's now at just under 105k.

Former owner here - the original engine was swapped out so the belt was done around 15,000 miles ago really. The odometer reflects the mileage on the original engine, 69k was the mileage on the engine that was swapped in.

I sold the car the the person you bought it from in good condition. There was nothing that needed work other than one or two minor issues that were basically cosmetic in nature. I bought the car a few years ago and spent quite a bit of money getting everything sorted on it. The seller's ad was honest - he did buy it for parts but I told him to do what he liked with it - I am not surprised that he sold it on - I kept it very well - it was a second car for me. It's not long after a professional detail.

I sold the car for no other reason than:

(a) the insurance renewal (two car policy) was due and I saw the opportunity to save at least a few hundred euro
    (b) the tax - although paid until January, I just couldn't stomach it any more, especially since I now pay over 1000 a year on my daily driver
    (c) it needed a tank of fuel....

No repairs needed, but all the other costs just became too much for me.

It's a lovely car - good luck to the new owner with whatever they decide to do with it.

Btw, I have a set of Alfa 17" rims for the car that I will sell if you are interested. No tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭W123-80's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭W123-80's

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement