Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS CAR OF THE WEEK/DAY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭RayCon

There are other options a corolla, mazda3, a focus are all a lot better. .

hhhhmmmmmm I'm getting a strong sense of Deja Vu ..... hhhhmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

I hate buying cars on a low budget....even worse with Auto only :pac: Its only for a year though as I will be financially much better off next year and can finance a pretty decent car :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

Apologies for that. I stepped right into that one - back to bangernomics
    avensinomics
    cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lovely-avensis-for-sale/7679120

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I hate buying cars on a low budget....even worse with Auto only :pac: Its only for a year though as I will be financially much better off next year and can finance a pretty decent car :)

Buy a manual and spend the money you save on lessons so you can learn how to handle a manual box!

When I started driving I hated manuals and found it such busywork. Second nature to me now, and I wouldn't call myself an experienced driver at all(2 years or so).

Get a nice mid-late 90s Merc, cheap and they have good autoboxes if you really want one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Buy a manual and spend the money you save on lessons so you can learn how to handle a manual box!

When I started driving I hated manuals and found it such busywork. Second nature to me now, and I wouldn't call myself an experienced driver at all(2 years or so).

Get a nice mid-late 90s Merc, cheap and they have good autoboxes if you really want one.

I had flip flopped between Auto and Manual and I just prefer Auto due to my hatred of driving around Dublin as it is :D

• Advertisement

Ah yeah it's a pain in the hole alright, 99.9% of my driving is around Dublin.

Even worse my car has nowhere to rest your left leg. It's pretty bleh but i'm used to it now.

When I can afford it, i'll be getting a nice autobox Merc I reckon next. Accord or a Volvo or maybe a Saab would be on the list too.

I have a possible job in the pipeline though which would require me to travel a fair bit so who knows what i'll end up in tbh :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Is there such a thing :p quality was gone by the wayside at that stage.

Around 97 was when quality started to drop, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Around 97 was when quality started to drop, no?

Earlier, around 1994 afaik. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,315 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

JohnBoy26 wrote: »

Ya the face lift w124 seemed to rusty where earlier ones didn't.

• Advertisement

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/citroen-c2-60-000-miles-careful-owner/7773598

33522472.jpeg

I think these are cool. Good little city car.

Seems a very genuine ad too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭Old diesel

JohnBoy26 wrote: »

Possibly yes - around 93/94 - afaik - the C class when it came out in 93 was intended to be "more cost effective" to build as Mercedes wanted to improve its profitability.

The W124 was facelifted at around the same time - and some people reckon the pre facelift was a better quality car.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭BraveInca

Nice car at first glance, but it's also on Carzone where it says it had 6 owners... which doesn't seem to match the narrative in the Donedeal ad. Could be a mistake I guess. Different contact phone numbers too but definitely the same car. A little odd no?

I'm snooping around here because I'm looking for a little runabout like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭nookie

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Stheno not buy it then? :eek:

Well wear nookie :)

BraveInca wrote: »
    Nice car at first glance, but it's also on Carzone where it says it had 6 owners... which doesn't seem to match the narrative in the Donedeal ad. Could be a mistake I guess. Different contact phone numbers too but definitely the same car. A little odd no?

Carsireland says NCT and Tax is legit. It doesn't show the number of owners however, but i'd be inclined to believe the seller judging on the ad and the condition of the car.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1992-mercedes-190-e-for-sale/7774888

33527766.jpeg

High mileage but those old barges can take it. Tested til April.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,409 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

nookie wrote: »
    Not sure what I've let myself in for but a stay of execution has been granted until at least January (provided nothing oily decides to go wrong before then).

Fair play. Please report back here how it's going :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Will do. In the last two days the major faults that I've been able to find are as follows:

1. Intermittent engine management light relating to Lambda sensor
    2. Right indicator doesn't always self cancel
    3. Bulb blown on pax fog light
    4. Dash mounted oddments bin won't open.

Apart from that everything else seems to work as it should. Plan as of the moment is to send it back for breaking once I've used up the tax and the tires ;-) but if there's any interest I'll offer it here first.

Break it?! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,315 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

4. Dash mounted oddments bin won't open.

I bet ya it will.
    I used to have a 166.
    I found that the spring in the button to open that compartment was stronger than the spring loaded hinges and as such the button was returning with your finger before the lid had a chance to open.
    So if the button is actually pressing down for you, just hook you finger around the lid and open it .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,524 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/citroen-c2-60-000-miles-careful-owner/7773598

BraveInca wrote: »

From the ad: "I purchased from Koping Motors (Citroen Main Dealer)"

Yet the dealer surrounds and sticker in the back window are from Kingdom Autopoint in Tralee?? I'd be asking a lot of questions.

Well spotted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Assuming the NCT is until 05/15. Looks clean if you like this sort of thing.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-bora-sport-6-speed-cheep/7781120

33556851.jpeg

Bit over 2k, but I hope to see more of these in this thread in the next 12 months or so :)

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-accord-2-0-se-nct-07-15-/7779597

33550148.jpeg

There have been several '05 Accords within bangernomics budget afaik

And I hope that lovely yellow reg Bora stays around Mayo / Sligo / Donegal :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Diesel Corolla with NCT 5/15. Bit of milage but it wouldn't bother me :)

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2002-toyota-corrolla-d4d-diseal/7747477

33398516.jpeg

'06 X-Trail. NCT '16, tax till end of year, asking €2,200. Very hard to sell, so yours for about €1,800. And that is a steal.

31571481.jpeg

Linky

• Advertisement

'07 Peugeot 407 Coupé, NCT 04/15

Beautiful car!

32585282.jpeg

Linky

Asking €2,350. It says no offers, but the ad is 9 days old and the engine is a 2.2l petrol. Give it a few more days and chances are you'll buy it within our €2k budget

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement