Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Citizen on a timex strap...I put the strap on expecting it to be a bit rubbish...quite like it now!

320280.png

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

rwbug wrote: »
    New arrival, 8120 re-issue, photo doesn't really capture the pattern in centre circle. Cheap, $50 delivered.

http ://imgur.com/jRWzUWH

can't post links - space added after http
    No space worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

Citizen on a timex strap...I put the strap on expecting it to be a bit rubbish...quite like it now!
    I've reported this post to the NATO police. Get one that fits :p!

rwbug wrote: »
    New arrival, 8120 re-issue, photo doesn't really capture the pattern in centre circle. Cheap, $50 delivered.

http ://imgur.com/jRWzUWH

can't post links - space added after http

jRWzUWH.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

This is where it all started for me. When I was a kid of about 10 my granda had a seiko watch that I was mad about, always used to ask to see it ect then when he died my granny gave it to me. Its not worth much but I still love it! I wore this watch all through my teens then lost it, my mother found it a few years ago again and got it repaired and gave it to me one Christmas and it has lived in a box in a press the last few years and I just came across it again this morning!

Its a seiko 7009-3130 automatic

xl9s8j.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

With your indulgence AK I cropped and attached your pic. Those Seiko's are lovely. Great family history too. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

aaakev wrote: »
    This is where it all started for me. When I was a kid of about 10 my granda had a seiko watch that I was mad about, always used to ask to see it ect then when he died my granny gave it to me. Its not worth much but I still love it! I wore this watch all through my teens then lost it, my mother found it a few years ago again and got it repaired and gave it to me one Christmas and it has lived in a box in a press the last few years and I just came across it again this morning!

Nice story and nice watch.

Great story and a nice watch. Can't help thinking a new crystal would transform it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Great story and a nice watch. Can't help thinking a new crystal would transform it.

Yeah the scratches are from the young me wearing it all the time! How much would a new crystal cost and where would I get it done? Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭jefferson73

Yeah the scratches are from the young me wearing it all the time! How much would a new crystal cost and where would I get it done? Any ideas?

about 15 euro to purchase a replacement crystal including delivery from ebay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Zenith de Luca
    fmumpf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

Love the Eterna Kontiki look and if this was made a little bigger I would be all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

This one arrived on Friday and its a nice Russian Aviator brand watch, kinda confusing who owns or makes them. Volmax, Buran,Poljot are all mentioned in relation to this one. 42mm case which is just the perfect size and I changed the nasty strap to a new Di Modell rally that I was not using.

It's a bitch to photograph because of the dial.

IMG_6266_zps6753e4fe.jpg

IMG_6261_zps561cf3cf.jpg

And one stolen from the web :)

Aviator-18_zps255d4258.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The latest purchase from Tatarstan :D

something on the rather nice Vostok mesh

320477.JPG

another one from the Amphibia SE (special edition series)

320478.JPG

polished 090 tonneau case with new stainless steel bezel and stainless mesh

320479.JPG

and most importantly of all, a very nice burnt orange sunburst dial

320480.JPG

(have had it for a few weeks already and the new puppy has managed to get scratches and shlobber everywhere ...close-ups really show up everything :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

HDMI wrote: »
    Love the Eterna Kontiki look and if this was made a little bigger I would be all over it.

I too was concerned about the 35mm size but having worn it I am happy with its size and look. I certainly don't feel like I am wearing a kids/girls watch. With that said I am not a fan of the oversized watches that seem to be the rage.

One downside - the strap is terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I'd been looking around for a Flieger watch for a while and was about to buy a Junkers when @Eoin posted up his Steinhart GMT Ocean 1........that sent me off to the Steinhart site where I saw one of the best looking Flieger type watches I've seen.

I was a little bit worried that at 47mm it would huge on my wrist and to be honest it's the biggest watch I have by several mm, and while it's big on my wrist, it's not so big as to be off putting. I really like it but would prefer if it was closer to 45mm.

It looks good and being made from titanium is very light on the wrist.

Some photos....

In the box

320958.JPG

The strap is substantial.....

320959.JPG

Nice retro feel to the luminescence

320960.JPG

On the wrist

320966.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭AstraOwner

Great forum. Some beautiful watches and photos too.

Haven't worn a watch regularly in a long, long time but I've been considering getting an every day watch for a while now. I have a nice Seiko Kinetic I received as a gift that I wear on the very odd day out but it's more 'dressy' than 'everyday'.
    I wasn't looking to spend a huge amount as it will be coming outdoors with me, getting wet and probably dirty but I did end up breaking the budget (doesn't everyone? :confused:).

I have no 'watch knowledge' and don't know what the fashion as such is. I browsed every picture on this and the 'Today I'm Wearing' thread to give myself some ideas. So many 'wants'! I went through every single analogue watch on both eBay and Amazon (there's a lot :o). I didn't know exactly what I wanted but after plenty of research I narrowed things down.

(One thing I learned from my possibles pile was that almost all had a very simple circular shape to them. That might sound a bit daft when talking about watches but not all (most?) don't have that very exact, simplistic circular shape. That appealed to me.)

I forget where I spotted it but I really liked this watch instantly and after some searching to try to source it within at least viewing distance of my budget I have just pressed the purchase button. :)

3fx3uf8.jpgZPXqm79.jpg

:)

(I now have a large fear that this is not the end of my watch shopping)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

AstraOwner wrote: »
    ... I have a nice Seiko Kinetic I received as a gift that I wear on the very odd day out but it's more 'dressy' than 'everyday'...

I used to think this until I realised I was replacing the battery in a good watch every so often without actually wearing it and getting pleasure from it.

So now I wear my good watches because I am worth it.

Same with my fountain pens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭AstraOwner

Calina wrote: »
    I used to think this until I realised I was replacing the battery in a good watch every so often without actually wearing it and getting pleasure from it.

Fair point Calina and I'd agree. The Seiko Kinetic I mentioned has more sentimental value than actual value and it's not something I'd pick out myself to be honest. Happy to have possession of it and give it a rare spin.
    But I wouldn't pick and purchase a watch with the intention of not giving it plenty of use.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Another Russian to add to the mix. This time a Raketa from the late 70's/early 1980's with an early(second generation level) Russian built quartz movement.

1e493r.jpg

Plated brass case, very lightweight in the hand, it looks like a diver and has a copy of the Amphibia screwback, but it really aint a diver. Heavy rain would likely upset it. :) The dial is cool though, IMH anyway and says from the top "RAKETA" "Quartz" and "Made in CCCP".

With these early quartz jobs I like to take pics of the movements to try and build up a database of them online so differences may be spotted.

hx0s36.jpg

For the early 80's it's very primitive when compared to the western stuff of the time. Dirty great stepping motor at the top and adjustable regulator. If it was western you'd put its vintage at around 1973. It's pretty solid, but there's a lot of backlash from the stepping motor so the second hand wobbles a bit as it ticks. Still the hand does line up with the minute markers which is more than can be said for some modern quartz'. I'd had a few of this movement over the years but I found they don't last long as "daily drivers", more a special occasion watch. I have an example of the very first quartz made in the USSR(in 77 IIRC), a Chaika. I'll try and get pics of it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Does that dial say Quartz, kvartz or kvass - I wouldn't put it past the Russians to invent a movement powered by slightly fomented, yeasty breadcrumbs in water :D.

Hmmm CB, you may have a point here. Russian folks are a damned resourceful and very clever people and most of all very practical with it, so I wouldn't put it past the feckers. This may explain how so many of my examples stopped working. Being a coeliac I'm sworn off gluten so maybe my wrist sweat was missing the vital sugars needed to power the movement(cue bloke or blokess in a shed in Yekaterinburg working on this very issue). :D

Same with my fountain pens.[/QUOTE]

There seems to be a connection between nice watch appreciation/wearing and fountain pens. I've seen this before on other threads, and I too fall into this category. It's hard to tell if I am (we are?) nerdy or merely discerning - bit of both perhaps.

This is from this afternoon on the Atlantic coast. It's a bit dusty, but looks well in photos:

DSCF0274_zps7f3e0b7d.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

There seems to be a connection between nice watch appreciation/wearing and fountain pens. I've seen this before on other threads, and I too fall into this category. It's hard to tell if I am (we are?) nerdy or merely discerning - bit of both perhaps.

[/QUOTE]

I'll admit to owning a few fountain pens (3 Cross, and 2 Mont Blanc, previously I had a Montegrappa)

EDIT: I use them for writing in my Moleskine notebooks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭emo72

I never had any interest in pens until I started frequenting watch forums. Curious.

I can barely write, so it can go both ways... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,745 ✭✭✭893bet

My PO on orange alligator leather.

Never had it on the strap before. Got the strap with the watch but never fitted it till now. Not sure on it yet but I think I like it. Have had an offered recently for 230 for the strap and deployment for sale. Might have to keep it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

893bet wrote: »
    My PO on orange alligator leather.

Never had it on the strap before. Got the strap with the watch but never fitted it till now. Not sure on it yet but I think I like it. Have had an offered recently for 230 for the strap and deployment for sale. Might have to keep it now.

nice but no see through caseback??

I think the 8500 has the see-through case back, and this is the slightly earlier 2500.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,745 ✭✭✭893bet

As per tsp. This is a 2500c.

9 years old, omega red dot intact and running atless than +4 secs per day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement