Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Worztron

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Worztron wrote: »

surely the other person has to have the app as well for it to work correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

irishgeo wrote: »
    surely the other person has to have the app as well for it to work correctly.

Obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Humble Mobile Bundle 7

Android heroes lead the charge! Humble Mobile Bundle 7 is all about the journeys of heroes, and also stacks of loot, and the one time they got sidetracked and saw a lot of crazy colors. Pay what you want for Heroes of Loot, The Tiny Bang Story and Color Zen Premium. If you pay more than the average price, you'll also get Kingdom Rush Frontiers, Sorcery! and Horn.

https://www.humblebundle.com/mobile

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Hi, not sure if this is correct forum, but here goes.

The latest update of Android Netflix will have implications for those using any Smart DNS service to get other regions, like US Netflix.

This is because, Netflix is now using Forced DNS lookups, bypassing device settings and router static route settings.

See this admission from UnoTelly:

http://help.unotelly.com/support/solutions/articles/199318-netflix-3-7-2-not-working-on
    Netflix 3.7.2+ not working on Android

Modified on: Tue, 9 Sep, 2014 at 4:09 am

As of version 3.7.2, Netflix has begun using Forced Google DNS lookup for their Android app. What this means is that the Netflix app bypasses any DNS servers you setup on the Android device or on the router and uses Google DNS instead.

Traditionally we were able to block Google DNS lookups on the router and force Netflix to use UnoDNS. However, the Android app seems to not work at all if Google DNS is blocked.

At this point, here are the options to get Netflix working on Android:

1. Use version 3.7.1 of the app. This is the latest version that does not use Google DNS Lookups. You can download it from various sources online such as http://www.apk4fun.com/apk/18745/

2. You can use UnoVPN. Click here for a free trial.

3. If you have a router with DD-WRT, Tomato, or OpenWRT, we can reroute Google traffic instead of blocking it completely and make the app work.

And fully discussed here, on Unblock-us forum.

http://support.unblock-us.com/customer/portal/questions/8441330-streaming-problem-with-netflix-update-3-7-2-android-?b_id=530

I am having this problem, and I am following up with my provider, Smarty DNS.......

I have posted some further info regarding this here, including a link for the previous Android Netflix version:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92100809&postcount=8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,950 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Does this affect all users or just the ones who bypass geo blocks?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,902 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Mr E wrote: »
    Humble Mobile Bundle 7

Android heroes lead the charge! Humble Mobile Bundle 7 is all about the journeys of heroes, and also stacks of loot, and the one time they got sidetracked and saw a lot of crazy colors. Pay what you want for Heroes of Loot, The Tiny Bang Story and Color Zen Premium. If you pay more than the average price, you'll also get Kingdom Rush Frontiers, Sorcery! and Horn.

https://www.humblebundle.com/mobile
    Worth it just for Kingdom Rush...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

flazio wrote: »
    Does this affect all users or just the ones who bypass geo blocks?

Its a problem for those using various Smart DNS providers who provide a DNS method of bypassing geo blocking, and just affects Android Netflix at the moment.

Netflix will not stream to the Android Device, but if you are using Chromecast to cast Netflix to you TV, it works OK, if you have your router hacked with Static Routes or iptable, to bypass Google DNS.

VPN is still OK without any router stuff.

Basically, Netflix now ignores any DNS routing set up locally and forces the use of google DNS by the App.

Dd-wrt flashed routers can still by-pass the Google DNS by use of iptables, but not everyone would have one, or the capability of doing it St command line level.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Newhand

There is an app on the market place called Spaceteam, but it does require at least three of you to buy it to play it. Well it can be played with two but for real fun I think you need three.

What happens is you connect with people on the same wifi network as you need the people in the room to play. Everyone will be get a different set of controls for a spaceship on there screen, filled with technojargon. Then the fun starts as things on the ship start to break down and you get instructions on your screen as to what other people need to fix. Que up shouting over each other as you try to get everything running in the correct and keep the ship going.

Great way to have fun and make everyone hate each other because the other person didn't "Spin the Omega Transducer!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Highly recommend Warlight. Great risk like game you can play with random people and your friends. Though it can take some people forever to take their turn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

Hey guys, is there any app that would send notifications from one android phone to another? Either by bluetooth or any other way.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

ldr wrote: »
    Hey guys, is there any app that would send notifications from one android phone to another? Either by bluetooth or any other way.

Thank you.

Your question is too vague to answer, can you give an example of what you would use it for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Thank you.

Not too sure what you're looking for but check out Pushbullet, can mirror them to your pc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

R Type is free on amazon today. Haven't played it on the phone yet, but used to love it on my Atari ST520 about 25 years ago!

Was it that long ago? Oh God....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Was it that long ago? Oh God....

Certainly 20 anyway. I think I got my ST around Inter Cert year, early 90s.

Bit off topic, but isn't it weird how there's always some debate between fans of competing systems? C64 vs ZX, ST vs Amiga, PS vs Xbox, and Android vs iPhone. I was a big commodore fan, then switched to Atari, more recently an iPhone fan converted to Android. I think I got it right second time on both occasions!

Not too sure what you're looking for but check out Pushbullet, can mirror them to your pc

The idea is if I receive a notification (hangouts, email...) that the notification would forward to another mobile phone either by Bluetooth or any other type of connection.

I did look into pushbullet but for Pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

The idea is if I receive a notification (hangouts, email...) that the notification would forward to another mobile phone either by Bluetooth or any other type of connection.

I did look into pushbullet but for Pc.

I'm not sure, but it might be possible to do this using a combo of Pushbullet and IFTTT. I have a few reminders set on the phone that get pushed to all my devices on certain dates (mainly reminders to pay bills!).

If I get a chance I'll have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Dont know where the best place to put this but I'm getting really annoyed with the facebook app. Not too sure if it's the beta app I'm WAS using or if it's gone live on the regular app but is there a way to stop the Facebook app from opening links within the app itself. I'm getting incredibly tired of the app crashing as it tries to load a link i clicked (and wanted to open in my browser) and then crashes.
    Anyone else suffering from this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Patww79 wrote: »
    The new Hangouts is hideous.

I think the tabs are much better

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I think the tabs are much better

Yeah, I actually think its an improvement over the original.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 8,120 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Dont know where the best place to put this but I'm getting really annoyed with the facebook app. Not too sure if it's the beta app I'm WAS using or if it's gone live on the regular app but is there a way to stop the Facebook app from opening links within the app itself. I'm getting incredibly tired of the app crashing as it tries to load a link i clicked (and wanted to open in my browser) and then crashes.
    Anyone else suffering from this?

i wouldn't think so, someone else might know better but it sounds as if they changed the code in the app, basically, before it would've used a chooser to show you a list of installed browsers to handle the link, now it uses a webview to display it within the app itself

try looking for the old apk, should be easy enough got

I'm not sure, but it might be possible to do this using a combo of Pushbullet and IFTTT. I have a few reminders set on the phone that get pushed to all my devices on certain dates (mainly reminders to pay bills!).

If I get a chance I'll have a look.

thank you for the suggestion Im going to give a go with the 2 apps and see how it goes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

Couple I had a mess around with today:

Gravity Screen - Makes your phone display automatically turn on if the phone is picked up and turn off if it's past a certain angle (in your pocket) or put down on a flat surface.

Zooper Widget - Neat little app for making customised widgets, plenty of ones available to download from the app too.

Bring! - Easy to make shopping lists, UI similar to windows app tiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Pique

PSA. If an app works the way you like it, open it in the Play Store under 'My Apps', then click the 3 dots in the top right corner and uncheck the Auto-Update checkbox.

Stops incessant updates (although you will still get notifications that updates are available).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,120 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Pique wrote: »
    PSA. If an app works the way you like it, open it in the Play Store under 'My Apps', then click the 3 dots in the top right corner and uncheck the Auto-Update checkbox.

Stops incessant updates (although you will still get notifications that updates are available).

you can turn auto update off in the settings, instead of doing it for each app.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Snapchat acting weird for anyone? Taking ages for a snap to load as in i have to have the screen presses for 10 seconds and then the app may crash

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Android Device Manager, Cerberus, Lookout, Theftie if you're rooted

Cerberus is probably the best, a combination is no harm, and its cheaper than a new phone

Prey is also very popular:

https://preyproject.com/download

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,902 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Kingdom Rush and Kingdom Rush Frontiers are the best Android games Ive played in years, Frontiers was part of the recent Humble Bundle but its well worth playing the first one aswell, I was up to 3am this morning trying to 3-Star a level, the RPG elements they added are brilliant.

http://www.kingdomrush.com/

EDIT: You can play them for free in flash on Kongregate aswell, if you like Tower Defense you'll love these.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement