Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 add727

I'm having such trouble focusing! What's the best approach to study for the next few weeks - just practising Qs? Feel like I'm on autopilot going over notes and nothing's actually going in :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Dsalmon91

This is my first time sitting the FE1'S, I am sitting 4 exams now this month (criminal, tort, property and company). I am just fresh from a law degree but still quite uncertain in regards to the layout and procedure of these exams. Was wondering if someone would be kind enough to give me a breakdown of the layout of fe1 exams and best way to approach/study for them. Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭FE1 EXAMS 2013

Hi would anybody know what topics came up for April 2014 sitting for questions 4, 6 and 8 in equity!? Much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Legal125

Hi would anybody know what topics came up for April 2014 sitting for questions 4, 6 and 8 in equity!? Much appreciated

4. Pres of advancement. Resulting trust area
    6. Rule in strong v bird.
    8. Prop estoppel

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭FE1 EXAMS 2013

Legal125 wrote: »
    4. Pres of advancement. Resulting trust area
    6. Rule in strong v bird.
    8. Prop estoppel

Cheers, much appreciated ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 charliebabbitt

Fionaxoxox wrote: »
    I am planning to sit Company at the end of September and I have managed to get my hands on the Student Edition of the Companies Acts but it is the 2009 edition. Does anyone know if the Law Society will allow me to use the older edition? Thanks.

Hi,
    Did you ever get an answer to this question? I have the 1963-2006 Student Edition myself and was wondering the same thing. Thanks

Hi,
    Did you ever get an answer to this question? I have the 1963-2006 Student Edition myself and was wondering the same thing. Thanks

Not to give a short answer but it is possible to ring the law society and check these things u know. And it also clearly states on the website what is permitted.
    To answer older copies are allowed. Last time I checked the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 charliebabbitt

Legal125 wrote: »
    Not to give a short answer but it is possible to ring the law society and check these things u know. And it also clearly states on the website what is permitted.
    To answer older copies are allowed. Last time I checked the website.

I am aware of this but just thought it would be quicker to get an informed response from another helpful student. Going by the list of Permitted Legislative Sources 2014 it would be a no as the most recent edition is the only one on that list and they clearly state they are the "ONLY" sources allowed. Does anyone know is this the case in practice or is some leeway given within reason to older editions?

I am aware of this but just thought it would be quicker to get an informed response from another helpful student. Going by the list of Permitted Legislative Sources 2014 it would be a no as the most recent edition is the only one on that list and they clearly state they are the "ONLY" sources allowed. Does anyone know is this the case in practice or is some leeway given within reason to older editions?

I know. but for something important to u for the exam like legislation I would be contacting the law society directly rather than taking the anon word of some one on boards. Will leave u less stress coming up to exams in the long run or on the day when u aren't allowed something. Telling them someone on boards says it's ok won't work if u gt me.
    If it helps they tend to be strict on the formalities. Hope that helps.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Moderator: The warnings contained in posts #1205 and #2555 as well as the opening post of this thread have been ignored for the last time.

There will no longer be the facility to buy/sell/swap materials or anything else for that matter in this forum. Failure to adhere to this rule will now result in a month-long ban for users breaching the rule for the first time. Subsequently, the ban will be permanent but I do not envisage that the rule will be broken for a second time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 prince89

Hi, would someone mind saying the full list of topics that came up on the Equity April 2014 exam paper please? I'm trying to decide if its possible to predict which injunction will come up next - or perhaps that's too risky to predict.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Legalgrad

Considering doing the intensive revision course for Tort in City Colleges with Ciarán Lawlor, can anyone recommend or give some feedback on it or his style of lecturing?

Legalgrad wrote: »
    Considering doing the intensive revision course for Tort in City Colleges with Ciarán Lawlor, can anyone recommend or give some feedback on it or his style of lecturing?

Yes also considering doing this. Would also appreciate if anyone has any idea if he is good?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭vickyplumx

Just got a couple of exam papers. Contract law....wtf?! Is it only me or are the questions a bit of a mixed bag?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

vickyplumx wrote: »
    Just got a couple of exam papers. Contract law....wtf?! Is it only me or are the questions a bit of a mixed bag?!

Are the exams not in like 3 weeks?

Tbh, this shouldn't be the first time you look at an exam paper. You should have an idea of what usually comes up where etc. from looking at numerous past papers and grids.

Contract (from what I remember, passed it almost 2 years ago now) mixes topics in nearly every question. It's not like Property which is usually very predictable, and each question sticks to one topic.

Are you straight from undergrad tackling these exams or something? If so, you're in for a shock!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Fionaxoxox

Hi,

I didn't I am afraid! I emailed them but they haven't replied. The phone seems to be always engaged too... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2 iuilenid

Hi all

Has Griffith or Independent Colleges given tips for the Autumn 2014 contract and constitutional FE1s?

Constitutional is impossible to predict I know, but some guidance would go a long way in helping a sister out.

Hit me with the tips!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Redo91

I'm just looking for some advice re EU and wondering could someone help me out with it? I'm doing EU and Property (2nd time) this sitting. I obviously have my notes from April for Property but I'm still at the note taking stage with EU. I hope to begin revision on Monday or Tuesday at the latest. In order to do so I will however have to leave some topics out. I don't have an exam grid so I'm not sure what to leave out. Currently my plan is to leave out EU Citizenship, Anti-discrimination/Equality law and Private International Law (Brussels 1 and 2). Am I taking a big risk leaving out those three topics? If so are there any other topics I could leave out instead of them? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Lolers11

Hi,

would anyone be able to tell me what they're studying for constitutional? Any tips etc? It's the second time round for me with this exam and I'm having difficulty concentrating !! It's just such a huge topic, so many cases etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Lolers11

Lolers11 wrote: »
    Hi,

would anyone be able to tell me what they're studying for constitutional? Any tips etc? It's the second time round for me with this exam and I'm having difficulty concentrating !! It's just such a huge topic, so many cases etc.

Sorry also can someone tell me if anything on Due Course of Law/Due Process came up in the April exam? Thanks!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Mileyt

Hi I would like any study tips 're constitutional what way is everyone approaching it. Are they condensing chapters to notes then going to exam papers it's so time consuming. I was thinking of reading each chapter then going to do say four questions on that chapter maybe two cases is that enough?? Any hep appreciated really panicking :(

Hi I would like any study tips 're constitutional what way is everyone approaching it. Are they condensing chapters to notes then going to exam papers it's so time consuming. I was thinking of reading each chapter then going to do say four questions on that chapter maybe two cases is that enough?? Any hep appreciated really panicking :(

Mileyt wrote: »

Yeah sounds about right. Time consuming is inevitable with these exams. I think more than two cases per topic u would need to know though.
    At least ur not alone in the panic. Everyone is.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭CRM1

These aren't mickey mouse exams. They are tough but not impossible, but they do require a lot of hard work and that's the bottom line. Of course you would need more than two cases per topic. At least aim to have a case per every point of law you intend to make in your answer, it is the authority for the point you are making - points of law need to be justified.

Constitutional is a broad topic but a lot of it intertwines and overlaps. The exam paper appears to be manageable if the preparation is done right. For Constitutional I am covering most of the subject with the exception of a few areas. All the big topics - personal rights, due course of law, institutions of state, equality, property rights, freedom of expression etc. This isn't to say that I have every area covered in great detail. Cover 90% of the course, for all these exams it is better to know a little all over as opposed to a few topics. And don't panic. There is still loads of time left.

Thanks a mill for the help. Sorry I meant covering two cases in detail per topic and obviously being aware of the other cases but a line or two. I just bought constitutional nutshell being told by a girl that passed to use this as she did and passed focusing on this and exam papers ?! The way I see it no matter how much you read manual or condense notes you prob only going to remember about the size of these nutshells which explain outcome of each case etc .....

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭CRM1

Mileyt wrote: »
    Thanks a mill for the help. Sorry I meant covering two cases in detail per topic and obviously being aware of the other cases but a line or two. I just bought constitutional nutshell being told by a girl that passed to use this as she did and passed focusing on this and exam papers ?! The way I see it no matter how much you read manual or condense notes you prob only going to remember about the size of these nutshells which explain outcome of each case etc .....

Take a topic read through it make notes - however you do it. Then try and explain it to someone without using materials even to yourself. Guarantee you will be able to explain a hell of a lot more than is laid out in those nutshell books. You will remember it a lot easier as well as figuring out straight away what you don't know and need to focus on. Instead of approaching the issue of trying to learn everything and make yourself into a ball of stress, take the exam paper - pretend it's a client - how would you explain the issues? That's all these examiners want from what I can see - is that you are able to explain the law surrounding issues to a prospective client.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MDC76

I'm hoping to sit the FE-1 exams in March and am wondering if Griffith College offers the best preparation? My favoured option is to study by online/distance learning. Does anyone have any tips or advice on which centre (not tutor) would be the best? Any suggestions very welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 livelovelaugh

Ahh the panic is creeping in! Have yet to look at Contract and seeing as it's one of my first three (ghost fourth), I'm feeling a little perplexed!

Could anybody kindly suggest some topics which may be best to leave out? I know that ideally I would cover everything, but I don't think that's feasible at this stage.

Many thanks in advance!

<Moderator snip - not allowed.>

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Milkypops

did anyone get the april examiners report for 2014?? is it worth getting just for EU and Constitutional???

• Advertisement

Why you would want it when u are done I will never know lol.
    Constitutional prob not. He never enlightens too much sure. Eu is his standard level of detail.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement