Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adult Braces Experience

Options

Comments

Got my wire changed today. They put the wire across all of my teeth at the top; up to now the very back molars had brackets that weren't attached. Certainly feels like a thicker wire.

Also he said he's not 100% certain about whether I can get the bottom brace on the next time. Depends on what happens between now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,127 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

One week and counting...

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭dublingirl83

So they are finally off... Delighted. Not the nicest experience getting them off (doesn't hurt, just lots of pressure) .
    I've attached photo of the day I got them on- i had to get a lower tooth removed, and a photo of when I got them off.
    Had to go back up today to collect my retainers, which I will have to wear at night.
    He also fitted two small fixed bars to the back of my top and bottom teeth, not noticeable at all, but i can feel them, it's like a mini brace on back of teeth.

This is photo with braces off

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭LottieP25

They look great!

Mine didn't come off, he wasn't 100% happy with the contact between my lower canine and pre molar.

Have to wait another month! Boo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭applesock

wow teeth look great Dublingirl :D did it take them long to take them off?

Oh LottieP25 nearly there :D I'm hoping to be advised of an end date at the end of this month, fingers crossed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

This is photo with braces off

Your orthodontist did a great job closing down those lower incisors. Well wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Hide behind the post

Coming along nicely.... 5 months in....months breezing by....really really want to bit into an apple though!!!! Ligature ties went on back so back in tomorrow to fix that up....couple more months to go.

Will actually miss them....they have taken years off me ;-)

I ate an apple the other day... Not a pretty sight !

LottieP25 wrote: »
    I ate an apple the other day... Not a pretty sight !

Uh oh, what happened? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Buyer12

I was at my dentist last Thursday and had my 2extractions on top so that's me finished with removals...I have had 4 out now. They have healed quiet well so far but teeth feeling very sensitive. It feels really weird trying to eat now as I have a lot of gaps!! I see my ortho wed28 , then have both upper and lower rewired and maybe the dreaded tads in :-( . I haven't asked is he going to do them this time...ignorance is bliss! Oh and I haven't dared eat an apple, wouldn't even chance it cut up at the moment!

Karsini wrote: »
    Uh oh, what happened? :eek:

Just think there was more apple stuck in my braces than I managed to eat!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Buyer12

Funkey monkey..... Dud you get them off? Hope all went well for ya.

Yes - they are out. It looks a lot better now they are out and I can see all the teeth in full. I would have like the arches to be a bit wider, but that could not have been done.

I'll try to put up a photo later.

Overall happy - just need to decide if I do anything about the short upper lip...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

I'm only 7-8 months in (got the uppers on a month earlier than the lowers) and was given elastics yesterday. I've to wear them along my bottom teeth 24-7, and along my top 6 front teeth at night time only. One or two small gaps have appeared along the bottom, so that's why I'm wearing the bottom elastics more (I'm delighted about this tbh, as it was suggested at the beginning of treatment that I might need one extraction at the bottom. Dodged that bullet!).

There's still a little bit of movement to go along the top teeth, so I'd be very surprised if I was a few short months away from getting the braces off.

Is there a general rule about when elastics are introduced into treatment? I always thought it would be towards the end, but perhaps it's more individual than that?

applesock wrote: »
    wow teeth look great Dublingirl :D did it take them long to take them off?

Oh LottieP25 nearly there :D I'm hoping to be advised of an end date at the end of this month, fingers crossed

i had an appointment for a hour long- but they were off in about ten mins.
    more time was spent cleaning them up, getting my fixed retainers fitted and making moulds for my night time retainers

jokettle wrote: »
    I'm only 7-8 months in (got the uppers on a month earlier than the lowers) and was given elastics yesterday. I've to wear them along my bottom teeth 24-7, and along my top 6 front teeth at night time only. One or two small gaps have appeared along the bottom, so that's why I'm wearing the bottom elastics more (I'm delighted about this tbh, as it was suggested at the beginning of treatment that I might need one extraction at the bottom. Dodged that bullet!).

There's still a little bit of movement to go along the top teeth, so I'd be very surprised if I was a few short months away from getting the braces off.

Is there a general rule about when elastics are introduced into treatment? I always thought it would be towards the end, but perhaps it's more individual than that?

not sure, id say its totally individual...i had mine on for the last 9 months

Did any of you have problems with sensitivity with braces on?

Since yesterday evening, I'm getting a sharp pain above one of my front teeth if I eat or drink anything cold. Even water out of the tap does it! It quickly eases if I warm the area up. I might have to see my dentist or orthodontist about this if it keeps up.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Hide behind the post

Karsini wrote: »
    Did any of you have problems with sensitivity with braces on?

Since yesterday evening, I'm getting a sharp pain above one of my front teeth if I eat or drink anything cold. Even water out of the tap does it! It quickly eases if I warm the area up. I might have to see my dentist or orthodontist about this if it keeps up.

Defo check with ortho/dentist...but in the interim switch to sensodyne toothpaste (Repair and Protect is good) will keep sensitivity at bay somewhat.

I can still feel it today so I don't think it's going anywhere, will have to see my dentist next week. I was due an appointment anyway but had intended to wait until the end of the month for work reasons.

I'm having one of those "I hate my braces" times anyway, today I noticed that I had a piece of floss stuck in my wire at the back.

• Advertisement

What the hell has happened to my front teeth? I've only just noticed this in todays sunshine. There seems to be cracks in the teeth which I don't believe were there prior to the braces - almost 100% confident of this. What and why has this happened - will I require expensivve dental work for treatment?

Going to book an appt with dentist in the morning - really not happy about this. :mad:

I was going to post a photo of my new smile - but maybe that will happen when these are extracted and replaced with false ones :mad::mad::mad:

14243066508_c34520a391_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

What the hell has happened to my front teeth? I've only just noticed this in todays sunshine. There seems to be cracks in the teeth which I don't believe were there prior to the braces - almost 100% confident of this. What and why has this happened - will I require expensivve dental work for treatment?

Going to book an appt with dentist in the morning - really not happy about this. :mad:

I was going to post a photo of my new smile - but maybe that will happen when these are extracted and replaced with false ones :mad::mad::mad:

14243066508_c34520a391_z.jpg

Do you have a similar photo from before the braces??

Only these:

14429030964_0490b87bb5_z.jpg

14426802671_b6e167ec17_z.jpg

14243706027_6161731314_z.jpg

Excuse the hygiene :o

Only these:

Excuse the hygiene :o

Looks to me like you had those vertical craze/ cracks beforehand... You just have cleaner teeth now and can see them clearer... The after photos lighting and detail certainly shows them up more but I think I can see them on the befores too....

Have a chat to your ortho, he/she probably has some better before photos to show you.

Those ones are from the ortho. Are these something I should be worried about?

Those ones are from the ortho. Are these something I should be worried about?

They are tiny cracks in the enamel. Generally a sign of clenching and grinding, sometimes trauma. You do grind, you have wear facets on your teeth…. If you are wearing the teeth away at night, it is a warning to get a night splint to protect the teeth….

I have worn a splint for a number of years now. My retainer that I wear at night too was made tougher in order to prevent grinding causing wear. So, i'm looking after them.

Is there anything to be said for using a toothpaste like BioRepair or similar? Normally, I just use a snoraml toothpaste and at the minunte I'm using an Arm&Hammer whitening toothpaste - I think it has flouride in it.

Thanks.

I have worn a splint for a number of years now. My retainer that I wear at night too was made tougher in order to prevent grinding causing wear. So, i'm looking after them.

Is there anything to be said for using a toothpaste like BioRepair or similar? Normally, I just use a snoraml toothpaste and at the minunte I'm using an Arm&Hammer whitening toothpaste - I think it has flouride in it.

Thanks.

The damage that is there is done and won't repair with any toothpaste… Just concentrate on preventing any further damage from wear/ grinding. Fluoride toothpaste is a good idea for loads of reasons but I don't think that it will cure this one…

OS

Definitely looks like they were there beforehand.

Still have my braces on, raging, but i suppose I've come this far whats a month or two more.

Had a consultation regarding my crowns there the other week, pretty happy about that, cant wait to get them changed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

I got braces on last Tuesday, they still feel quite tender and sore to bite things. It's like they feel weaker is this normal. I only got the top braces on

Advertisement