Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass unmarked grave for 800 babies in Tuam

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    Scary stuff. Showing compassion publicly is clearly not "logical". Dodds should take his public purging of his pain and those who wish to sympathise with him away to a private room where its not offending the more enlightened.
    A bit like take your slutty unwed mothers and hide them behind the convent walls and then we will all pretend they don't exist.
    Show simple love and support publicly and risk being accused of glory hunting.
    Posters need to take a long hard look st themselves.
    Dodds, I'm sorry . You can see the way it is. Keep posting. There are some kind people here who will give you kindness.

Ah lads - and I am not only talking to mrsbyrne - would ye stop.

Isn't this hard enough without having p*ssing contests about who has 'more' compassion/empathy?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Try the 1927/28 list.

Few unusual names there.

Ok, will track that down
    Ah lads - and I am not only talking to mrsbyrne - would ye stop.

Isn't this hard enough without having p*ssing contests about who has 'more' compassion/empathy?????

Cool, cool. Deep breaths taken - temper balance in 3...2....1 :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    Scary stuff. Showing compassion publicly is clearly not "logical".
    MrsB, I'm not sure whether you had time to read my polite request above.

If you want to contact a user directly, then you can send a Private Message using the link in the top-right of your screen. You can message people in complete privacy there, without having everybody here in A+A read what you write.

Subject to the terms and conditions of the forum charter, Dodd is free to describe his/her perspective(s) here in A+A, but this specific thread is for people interested in discussing the widening scandal of the Irish Mother and Baby homes from a less personal point of view. As such, we try to keep the discussion fairly focussed on that. If either you or Dodd or any other poster wishes to start another thread on another topic, then by all means, please do, though be aware that it'll be subject to the same rules of discussion that apply to the forum more generally.

thanks,

- One of your friendly moderators.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

10390215_253125308225016_3293529233456822513_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/JusticefortheTuamBabies?fref=photo
    [Tomorrow] at 7pm we will march from the Department of Children on Mespil Road (on the canal near Baggot St) to the Dáil. We will hold a candlelit vigil at the Dáil. At the Dáil the names of the 796 children who perished at the hands of church and state criminal negligence will be read out.

As each name is read out everyone there will take turns to bring up a child’s shoe or a bib or a toy or flowers…something to represent their little lives. We are hoping to have a lament sung/played during the reading of the names.

The reading of the names will be interspersed with poetry and short recounts of the conditions the children endured.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

robindch wrote: »
    MrsB, I'm not sure whether you had time to read my polite request above.

If you want to contact a user directly, then you can send a Private Message using the link in the top-right of your screen. You can message people in complete privacy there, without having everybody here in A+A read what you write.

I can confirm that MrsB found the PM facility

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

I just read about this even though the article is 13 years old.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/revealed-cow-vaccine-was-given-to-babies-26084978.html

Some of the children who received the vaccine were taking part in a drug trial, carried out on behalf of the multinational drug company Wellcome, in Dublin in 1973.

Instead of getting the 3-in-1 childhood vaccine Trivax, some of the children were inadvertently given a veterinary vaccine with a similar brand name, Tribovax T. The animal vaccine is solely for use on farm stock.

It is not yet clear precisely how many babies were vaccinated with Tribovax T. The commercially manufactured containers of Trivax usually held 10 doses each and numerous containers of vaccine were produced from each individual batch.

Massive quantities of the Trivax vaccine were ordered by the Irish health authorities from Wellcome in the 1970s as part of the State-promoted programme for the vaccination of babies all around the country.

The revelation that some children received Tribovax T instead of Trivax is certain to strengthen the case of representative groups and opposition politicians who have been calling for a public inquiry into drug trials and other circumstances surrounding the use of the 3-in-1 vaccine in Ireland in the 1970s.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Birroc wrote: »
    Instead of getting the 3-in-1 childhood vaccine Trivax, some of the children were inadvertently given a veterinary vaccine with a similar brand name, Tribovax T.

I would have gotten the 3-in-1 during the 70s, and never had any mooooo side-effects.

Sorry.

iguana wrote: »
    I'm working with campaigners with Avaaz at the moment who are planning to do a larger mailing of the petition in order to reach more people and will then try to present it to Fitzgerald ahead of Wednesday's Dail debate.
    I've just heard indications that Frances Fitzgerald, Minster for Justice and Equality, will accept this petition tomorrow morning at the Ministry building in advance of the Dail debate.

For anybody who's signed it, thanks. For anybody who hasn't, get going! And everybody, please share as much as you can on social media.

Thanks for your help on this one folks. I think A+A might have made a worthwhile difference here.

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/Frances_Fitzgerald_Irish_Minister_for_Justice_and_Equality_A_full_Gardai_investigation_into_the_mass_grave_in_Tuam_Co_Ga/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Intresting details from RTE on the nature of the Tuam records, previously held by Galway County Council, now held by Tusla.

No details on burials or burial locations though.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0610/622730-cabinet-meet-babies/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭diveout

I've just heard indications that Frances Fitzgerald, Minster for Justice and Equality, will accept this petition tomorrow morning at the Ministry building in advance of the Dail debate.

For anybody who's signed it, thanks. For anybody who hasn't, get going! And everybody, please share as much as you can on social media.

Thanks for your help on this one folks. I think A+A might have made a worthwhile difference here.

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/Frances_Fitzgerald_Irish_Minister_for_Justice_and_Equality_A_full_Gardai_investigation_into_the_mass_grave_in_Tuam_Co_Ga/

Im really pleased this is happening and the results of the petition. I would also add this this is the perfect time to start targeting and applying pressure to have schools released from the grips of the Church. Given the zeitgeist that is in it. There is a momentum alive right now.

• Advertisement

Intresting details from RTE on the nature of the Tuam records, previously held by Galway County Council, now held by Tusla.

No details on burials or burial locations though.

No details supplied. Why could that be do you think?

There are boxes and boxes and boxes of records which have been in the possession of the HSE for years and they have never been catalogued, never mind examined.

No details supplied. Why could that be do you think?

There are boxes and boxes and boxes of records which have been in the possession of the HSE for years and they have never been catalogued, never mind examined.

Either they never existed (records of burial sites) or they have been lost or destroyed I would think.

These particular records came from GCC, not HSE.

BTW, the petition currently stands at 27,300 signatories from Ireland and around the world.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Seems to have been alot of random fires over the years,

actually curious about this, anyone document exactly how many of these homes appear to have had records destroyed in "fires".

Seems to be an excuse given to many of the years when trying to find records by the nuns, be interesting to see exactly how many homes claim this.

Either they never existed (records of burial sites) or they have been lost or destroyed I would think.

These particular records came from GCC, not HSE.

And the Old Health Board records are held by the HSE. The Health Boards were tasked with overseeing the homes.

I investigate this kind of stuff for a living and I am well aware of how different agencies hold different records pertaining to the same institutions.

It an Irish solution to preventing the problem of the truth emerging.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

You are mistaken there. People need religion for ethical and moral guidance, atheists can't do anything worthwhile or good.

Cabaal wrote: »

actually curious about this, anyone document exactly how many of these homes appear to have had records destroyed in "fires".

Seems to be an excuse given to many of the years when trying to find records by the nuns, be interesting to see exactly how many homes claim this.

Ken Nicholls - a world renowned historian - investigated the blowing up of the archives in the Four Courts in 1922. The guy who set the charges was an explosions expert. Ken has concluded it was no 'accident'.

If it works once....

You are mistaken there. People need religion for ethical and moral guidance, atheists can't do anything worthwhile or good.

Ya. I'm going away to the country in about half an hour so I can examine my belly button for fluff.

Fire doesn't seem to be an issue in this case.

And the Old Health Board records are held by the HSE. The Health Boards were tasked with overseeing the homes.

I investigate this kind of stuff for a living and I am well aware of how different agencies hold different records pertaining to the same institutions.

It an Irish solution to preventing the problem of the truth emerging.

I see. I don't know what the HSE holds regarding this home or their ability to make it available - I imagine it's at least as sensitive as Tusla about these matters.

The RTE report only mentions the GCC documents (formerly the Tuam home's own records).

• Advertisement

Ken Nicholls - a world renowned historian - investigated the blowing up of the archives in the Four Courts in 1922. The guy who set the charges was an explosions expert. Ken has concluded it was no 'accident'.

If it works once....

But thats 1922, there appears to have been alot of random fires destroying records held by the nuns over the decades. Seems they are awful careless.

Fire doesn't seem to be an issue in this case.

I never said it was,

It has however been a factor in other homes over the years, even the liveline podcast I posted previously today has a women who was told records were lost due to fire.

But thats 1922, there appears to have been alot of random fires destroying records held by the nuns over the decades. Seems they are awful careless.

Just pointing out that fire worked then too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Investigation announced

Govt announces Commission of Investigation into mother-and-baby homes
    Minister for Children Charlie Flanagan has announced a statutory Commission of Investigation into mother-and-baby-homes across the State.

Speaking on RTÉ's News at One, Mr Flanagan said that it is too early to say who will lead the commission, but that he has some names in mind.

He said that the Government will receive an initial report by 30 June.
    Minister Flanagan said he hopes the inquiry will examine all issues, including the high mortality rates, the burial practices following these deaths, the legal circumstances around adoptions and the question of conducting of clinical trials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

bumper234 wrote: »
    Investigation announced

Govt announces Commission of Investigation into mother-and-baby homes

Result. Great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

bumper234 wrote: »
    He said that the Government will receive an initial report by 30 June.

An initial report of who turned up at the first meeting, maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

Edit: link added: http://www.newstalk.ie/Mother-tells-Newstalk:-My-son-was-to-be-starved-to-death-in-mother-and-baby-home
    This woman in newstalk at lunch time talking about her baby being starved to death in a dublin hospital in the 60s because it had spina bififida. She was told by the surgeon that this is what they were doing and it was for the best. This was after they had mutilated her with symphisotomy (sp).
    IF they treated a 'legitimate', loved, wanted, child this way, there is no question behind those 8ft walls they did as they thought best.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Seems like there's no getting rid of religious intolerance, even in this thread they find a way to turn their dogma into public hatred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

It's been a long day so am not sure if you're being sarcastic or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

But thats 1922, there appears to have been alot of random bonfires destroying records held by the nuns over the decades. Seems they are awful careless.

FYP ;)

Advertisement