Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Thanks, hate missing sessions but probably best to get in the easy runs rather than running 5 days with 2 of them sessions and 1 long run

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Friday:

45 mins Easy Running plus 8 Strides

5.76m @ 9:41 m/m

Saturday:

6.5 miles Easy.

6.5 miles @ 9:48 m/m

This week has been a bit messed up due to the missed run on Thursday. I got out on Friday after work and did the 45mins + Strides run, then today I managed to do 6.5 miles easy paced. The miles came very easy today, almost effortless.

Plan is to try a long run tomorrow, 13 miles or thereabouts.

Sunday

Long Slow Run 13.35 Miles @ 10:10 m/m

Nice run today, headed up in the general direction of Marlay Park. Never really run up there before but it's very nice there, a circuit of the park is about 2 miles or so, and very pleasant.

I really hate running with a water bottle in my hand, I may resort to just buying a bottle on future long runs.

In other news I ordered a pair of racers off wiggle last night in a moment of weakness, hopefully they'll be here by next weekend and the Terenure 5 mile.

Weekly Totals:

Distance: 38.72 Miles
    Time: 6:20:27

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Hey adrian,
    here's a suggestion for a water bottle holder:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ultimate-performance-kielder-handheld-bottle-carrier/
    Maybe you have similar already. If not, this one is great as there is a strap to place your hand in and you secure it around your hand by pulling the strap tighter so you're not grasping the bottle if you know what I mean. You can keep your hand relaxed and forget about it. I used it for all my lsrs and dcm and found it great although I did throw it away at mile 24 as I was sick of it!
    Nice run today and nice weekly total!

Yeah, I seem to get problems with my left forearm when I'm grasping the bottle. When I got into the park I stashed the bottle and it was so much nicer running without it.

I may checkout the one you posted, I just ordered from wiggle yesterday, could have added this in :(

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »
    Yeah, I seem to get problems with my left forearm when I'm grasping the bottle. When I got into the park I stashed the bottle and it was so much nicer running without it.

I may checkout the one you posted, I just ordered from wiggle yesterday, could have added this in :(

Pity I didn't get to you a day earlier! But sure you have ages so add it to your next wiggle order:D All that grasping is a real pain (literally) and as the runs get longer it gets worse of course. With that holder you can just forget you have it but it's there when you need a drink! There's a little pocket (I have a thing about pockets!) that you can put a key/gel in too.

OK, just ordered that off amazon along with a new strap for my HR monitor.

Monday:

3.5 Miles @ Recovery Pace, 3.5 Miles Easy Pace

Was pretty wrecked after work today, fell asleep on the coach for an hour and a half, was about to bail on the run but decided to just get on with it in the end.

Kept if very slow to start and then picked up to a little below normal easy pace in the second half.

I've also imported all my existing runs onto Strava, it has a lot of cool features one of which is the ability to log which pair of shoes you ran each workout in, so it keeps track of how many miles youv'e done in each pair, nice little feature which I don't think is present on Garmin.

Total 7 miles @ 10:09 m/m

Terrible running today, went out with the intention of doing some intervals.

I was pretty lethargic heading out, but I thought that would pass. I did my 15 min easy pace, got through it but wasn't feeling great, legs felt heavy, tight hamstrings etc. I did my 6 strides, again it was ok but it seemed a lot slwoer than it should have been.

First interval I went hard but I just felt I had no energy for it at all and checking the watch I was well below the time I should have been.

I bailed in the intervals at this point and just jogged home at recovery pace, better to live to fight another day than do some damage when I'm not feeling it.

I'm thinking I'm probably doing a bit too much at the moment or just one of those days?

Total 3.71 Miles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

I was pretty lethargic heading out, but I thought that would pass. I did my 15 min easy pace, got through it but wasn't feeling great, legs felt heavy, tight hamstrings etc. I did my 6 strides, again it was ok but it seemed a lot slwoer than it should have been.

First interval I went hard but I just felt I had no energy for it at all and checking the watch I was well below the time I should have been.

I bailed in the intervals at this point and just jogged home at recovery pace, better to live to fight another day than do some damage when I'm not feeling it.

I'm thinking I'm probably doing a bit too much at the moment or just one of those days?

Total 3.71 Miles

Maybe you need a step back week? Listen to the body, if you re wrecked cut back for a few days.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I think so, I felt grand heading out but just when I went to up the pace there was no energy there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Total 3.71 Miles

Could be a bit of both but one of those days happens everyone ..

Here for example from my log ..
    Awful run - could quit running it was that bad.
    2 days later smashing unofficial PBs on the exact same route.

If you look around other logs you will see the same thing happening. Best thing to do is listen to your body. Take it easy, take a day off, rest and come back fresh.

Thanks PM, yeah, I think just a day or 2 taking it easy will sort me out...

Best of luck on sunday by the way, I should line up there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Thanks PM, yeah, I think just a day or 2 taking it easy will sort me out...

Best of luck on sunday by the way, I should line up there too.

Still a bit up in the air for me. Injuries are a curse !! Will pop up a bib number on my log if I do make it. Might see you there.

Wednesday:

Rest Day

Thursday:

15 mins easy + 4 x 4 mins hard with 3 mins recovery + 15 mins easy

Back running after taking yesterday off. I had intended doing a session on Tuesday and missing out the second session this week. As I missed the first one I decided to give this one a go.

It went well, the session is a good one and it allows you to make it as easy or as difficult as you want. I went quite hard on the hard segments but felt ok while doing so,

My paces came out as 7:00/7:16/7:30/7:31

Plan for the rest of the week will be Friday, 5 or 6 easy miles, Saturday 3 or so miles with a few strides, Sunday am Race, Sunday pm 3 miles recovery or possibly not bother with the recovery miles, see how I'm feeling.

New pair of racing flats arrived today, so looking forward to using those too.

Total : 6.4 Miles

Friday:

5 Miles easy + 8 Strides to finish.

Nice run this evening, it was a bit of a struggle at times but I guess that's to be expected after yesterdays effort.

Hopefully a lazy 3 mile jog tomorrow while collecting the race number for Sunday.

A bit of foam rolling done tonight also.

Total 6.43 miles

Saturday

3.13 Miles @ 9:28 m/m

Decided to take the new racing flats out for a test drive before tomorrows race.

You can really feel the road in the them and it is very difficult to run slowly in them. They felt comfortable though so hopefully they wont give problems tomorrow.

Stopped by Bushy park to pick up my number also.

Sunday:

1 Mile Warmup @ 10:07

Ternure 5 Mile @ 7:41 m/m

38:30

Excellent weather for the race this morning, cloudy, little wind, perfect temperature, it threatened to rain but never really did.

There was a large turnout, I took my place what I figured would be the correct position, a little back but not too far. When the pacers came out and I saw the 40min baloon away in the distance I let out a groan.

It was quite congested at the start but I was able to settle into a rhtham before too long. There was a little weaving and overtaking to be done but not too much.

I didn't notice any mile markers so was relying on my watch. The first couple of miles ticked by quickly enough. The up hill section to the roundabout was a bit of a struggle but I was happy enough once I got onto Templogue Road again.

From about 1.5 miles out I really had to dig deep, At the time I thought I really slowed up at this stage but a look at my splits confirms this was not the case.

Once we turned the corner for the finishing straight I was almost spent, and still a good half mile to go, I really struggled at this stage but once the finish line came into sight I put the head down and emptied the tank.

The target was 38:xx and that was achieved so happy enough. I really feel I should do a 5K and 10K as I think both PB's are currently there for the taking.

Well done to all at sportsworld for putting on a great race. Nice atmosphere afterwards too.

Splits:

1. 7:37
    2. 7:47
    3. 7:53
    4. 7:25
    5. 7:44
    (0:04)

Now recovery run this evening or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Sunday:

1 Mile Warmup @ 10:07

Ternure 5 Mile @ 7:41 m/m

38:30

Excellent weather for the race this morning, cloudy, little wind, perfect temperature, it threatened to rain but never really did.

There was a large turnout, I took my place what I figured would be the correct position, a little back but not too far. When the pacers came out and I saw the 40min baloon away in the distance I let out a groan.

It was quite congested at the start but I was able to settle into a rhtham before too long. There was a little weaving and overtaking to be done but not too much.

I didn't notice any mile markers so was relying on my watch. The first couple of miles ticked by quickly enough. The up hill section to the roundabout was a bit of a struggle but I was happy enough once I got onto Templogue Road again.

From about 1.5 miles out I really had to dig deep, At the time I thought I really slowed up at this stage but a look at my splits confirms this was not the case.

Once we turned the corner for the finishing straight I was almost spent, and still a good half mile to go, I really struggled at this stage but once the finish line came into sight I put the head down and emptied the tank.

The target was 38:xx and that was achieved so happy enough. I really feel I should do a 5K and 10K as I think both PB's are currently there for the taking.

Well done to all at sportsworld for putting on a great race. Nice atmosphere afterwards too.

Splits:

1. 7:37
    2. 7:47
    3. 7:53
    4. 7:25
    5. 7:44
    (0:04)

Great going, I wouldn't running again this evening if it was me but I'm a lazy strap who would prefer to sit down drinking tea and eating purple snacks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭donnacha

Super progress Adrian, well done.

• Advertisement

It really is a personal thing. I probably would if feeling good but would do it on grass and very short - 3 miles or less but stop if any of your bits start complaining. I don't know if there's any advantage to doing it this evening rather than tomorrow... A walk might be just as beneficial this evening. The purple snack option sounds good too:D

Yeah, I'll wait and see, may leave it be, may just do some foam rolling or something.

I'd like to postpone the beer drinking for as long as possible!

Last weeks Totals were:

Miles 32.68
    Duration 5:05:37

A step back week I guess.

Monday:

3 Miles @ 9:59

Recovery run tonight to loosen things out followed by a round of foam rolling. Muscles felt fairly tight tonight, calf in partiuclar. Blaming it on the racing flats. Nothing too serious though.

Tuesday:

6.5 Miles @ 9:45 m/m

A little bit of core work first, then 60 or so mins of an easy paced run followed by some foam rolling. Still feeling a few niggles here and there, hopefully nothing too serious.

Wednesday:

Easy Paced Run + 8 Strides

Run today was intended to be a workout session but gave that a skip until tomorrow at least in favour of more easy miles with some strides added in. Still feeling a bit of tightness and soreness so don't want to rush back into the intervals and may in fact give them a miss altogether this week depending on how I'm feeling tomorrow.

Total: 6.7 Miles @ 9:21 m/m

Bad times I'm afraid. Due to a niggling but persistent problem in my shin/calf I decided to take a few days off. As such there was no running at all Thursday-Monday.

Tuesday: 6.5 miles easy.

I went out for a run but unfortunately my issue persists, it's not a very bad pain or anything but it just doesn't feel right. I had intended going out again tonight but some residual pain during the day meant I thought it best to take another day off.

Anyway, I'm back into the physio next week so hopefully some better news then.

And I'm Back...

So took some time off, probably a bit overkill on that, but back running now, keeping the volume and intensity low for now.

Saturday

6.2 Miles @ 9:58

Sunday

Rest

Monday

6.5 Miles @ 9:57

Tuesday

Rest.

Plan to alternate rest days and easy days for the rest of the week and if all good, step it up again next week. Doing a bit of cycling in and out of work as well, not too fast but better than nothing.

Wednesday

7 Miles @ 9:48

Nice run yesterday, no injury issues at all really. I may try a short recovery run today, before resting tomorrow and running the parkrun on Saturday.

Thursday

3 Miles @ 10:26

Very easy pace recovery run, very enjoyable in the late evening sunshine.

Not much to say really other than feeling good and fitness seems to be returning.

• Advertisement

Thursday

3 Miles @ 10:26

Very easy pace recovery run, very enjoyable in the late evening sunshine.

Not much to say really other than feeling good and fitness seems to be returning.

that's great adrian:D and well done on keeping the easy stuff easy.

Advertisement