Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day part III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,873 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Its a 26 year old clapped out rusty Toyota with a very tired interior and he's asking €1650 for it. Am I missing something? How is that pile of junk Bangernomics?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Quazzie wrote: »
    Its a 26 year old clapped out rusty Toyota with a very tired interior and he's asking €1650 for it. Am I missing something? How is that pile of junk Bangernomics?

Would you rather buy a boring 14 year old Micra with 1.0 engine for the same price? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

GvidoR wrote: »
    Would you rather buy a boring 14 year old Micra with 1.0 engine for the same price? :rolleyes:

I probably would, that MR2 doesn't look the best.

GvidoR wrote: »

A ten second search on Donedeal has this for the same money. I know where I'd rather put my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

It's a mid engined sports car… I think most car enthusiasts would like one.

You get yourself a Mk4 golf TDI if you prefer :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Ded_Zebra wrote: »

Yes they would.

That abomination though was a pile of rot. It'd need to be bought by someone very handy with a spanner and at a third of the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TheHappyChappy

A ten second search on Donedeal has this for the same money. I know where I'd rather put my money.

No Thanks

Grandad next-door has one for the 'dawgs'

i'd rather start cycling!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TheHappyChappy

Actually.....with that big tow-bar it could be his

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

They look like sh1t though.

Yes they would.

That abomination though was a pile of rot. It'd need to be bought by someone very handy with a spanner and at a third of the price.

Where's the rust though:confused::confused:

The first place they always go is the front wings where the bumper attaches… Looks fine there to me.

The next place they go is the rear wheel arches, again they look fine. The front bumper isn't perfectly aligned so it might have had a bit of a prang.

The interior isn't the best but it's mostly the steering wheel letting it down and I have a new one of those sitting in the garage.

• Advertisement

mickdw wrote: »
    They look like sh1t though.

Well that's your opinion, I quite like them. The main reason for buying one is about the way they drive not the way they look;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

It looks pretty damn good. Much better than an Insignia, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

"I like cars so I'll buy a slow estate instead of a mid engines sports car."

This forum sometimes...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/06-punto-grande/6406618

2006 Grande Punto
    Tested March 2016
    143k km
    €1995

CianRyan wrote: »

This forum sometimes...

A Saab 95 Turbo is hardly slow

• Registered Users Posts: 65,053 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Some people just get a horn for Jap Scrap. Leave them be :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

you have to laugh at this forum sometimes... it may not be the prettiest mk1 mr2 out there but ffs if it had a European badge on the bonnet, everybody on here would get a case of the spurts!!

it's borderline ignorance to compare it to a Saab estate. chalk and cheese, apples and oranges. compare it to another mr2, compare it to another 80's rear engined sports car, but to compare it to a 15 years newer European estate because it can be purchased for the same price is thick.

the main reason i post so little here any more is not so much for the forums disliking to Toyota, but it's disliking to anything other than a BM trouble you or a ****ing Saab 95... you think people who like toyotas are foolish for liking such dull cars, that Saab is hardly any banter with it's spurious hub caps, cloth seats, absolute poverty spec, my idea of hell on wheels.

i think when they are spruced up, they can look nice. an appreciating classic, mid engined, rear wheel drive, the iconic 1600 4age engine... won't be up to much by modern standards but a fun little car to own i'd have to say. i'd love to give something like that a little tlc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

CianRyan wrote: »

This forum sometimes...
    To be fair - I'd expect the estate he linked to to pi$$ all over the MR2 ;)

I know which one I'd prefer to take on a track though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

unkel wrote: »

you say that in a very condescending fashion, as if there is something foolish about it.

it's totally a cliché statement that your mammy would tell you, but, wouldn't it be a boring place if we all liked the same things.

i know the image is a bit poncey but some boardsies could learn a lot from the words around it. it's ok to broaden your mind and not even understand why, but just appreciate that different people like different things and just because you don't like it doesn't make it wrong.

Real-Car-Guys-Meme-655x368.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

It doesn't look rusty to me. Could you please point out where the rust is? Also what has its age got to do with its asking price? Just because its 26 years old doesn't mean it's not worth its asking price.

Its age also doesn't mean it's a "pile of junk" or have you viewed it and found it was in bad condition?

The Saab you posted above is a good car in its own right but it's a bad example to prove your point. The mr2 was posted because it is a well built, reliable, rwd mid engined, fun little sports car. The saab will make a great comfy cruiser but being vectra based it will never match the mr2 in the bends, nor is it as well built or as good mechanically as an mr2 which are pretty much indestructible to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Id have that mr2 in a heartbeat.

Some people have some seriously weird opinions on cars.

unkel wrote: »

Does your eyes ever get strained from looking down on "some people"?

eyestrain.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

The 2.0 turbo 95 is by no means fast, the 2.3 I faster and that only got 170bhp. That's enough for the size.

The MR2 was never built to e a rocket ship, it's ment to be light and nimble and Toyota got it spot on.

I can not take seriously anyone that uses the term 'Jap Scrap".
    Stinks of unjustified snobbery, it's putrid.

Don't get me wrong, I like Jap stuff, sure everything I own is Jap and 3.0 or above bar one. If I didn't I would have European cars...

I just don't particularly like that MR2. It fits all the bangernomics criteria plus its different, so it does belong here!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/fiat-punto-nct-d-and-taxed/6775143

28660028.jpeg

long nct
    1350 "Willl do good cash deal for quick sale as i have a new car bought and need space"

Is the money not a bit strong on that charisma? They don't seem to fetch good money at all.

Also the seller says it's the same 1.3 engine that's in the lancer. While this engine is very reliable, its gutless in the lancer so it must be woeful in the charisma. Also in the lancer it's mated to a lovely smooth Mitsubishi gearbox, you would think Mitsubishi would use the same box in the charisma but oh no in their wisdom they only had to go and use a renualt gearbox in the charisma, a gearbox which can only be described as awful.

Top Dog wrote: »
    To be fair - I'd expect the estate he linked to to pi$$ all over the MR2 ;)

I know which one I'd prefer to take on a track though :)

Potentially in a straight line but anywhere with any kind of bends the Saab wouldn't even see it, even the fastest 9-5 wouldn't ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

To be honest chaps - everyone has their own taste in cars - and that is a great thing really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

you have to laugh at this forum sometimes... it may not be the prettiest mk1 mr2 out there but ffs if it had a European badge on the bonnet, everybody on here would get a case of the spurts!!

it's borderline ignorance to compare it to a Saab estate. chalk and cheese, apples and oranges. compare it to another mr2, compare it to another 80's rear engined sports car, but to compare it to a 15 years newer European estate because it can be purchased for the same price is thick.

the main reason i post so little here any more is not so much for the forums disliking to Toyota, but it's disliking to anything other than a BM trouble you or a ****ing Saab 95... you think people who like toyotas are foolish for liking such dull cars, that Saab is hardly any banter with it's spurious hub caps, cloth seats, absolute poverty spec, my idea of hell on wheels.

i think when they are spruced up, they can look nice. an appreciating classic, mid engined, rear wheel drive, the iconic 1600 4age engine... won't be up to much by modern standards but a fun little car to own i'd have to say. i'd love to give something like that a little tlc.

This isn't a thread about "sports cars " and how everyone thatvliles and wants a car shoild be trying to get one though. It's about value under 2k.its not a I'm looking for an Mr2 thread and someone recommends an octavia, anything under 2k is a valid alternative here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement