Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Another Saturday night oldie. The earliest wristwatch I have. 1912. Now officially an antique wristwatch. Same year as the Titanic went down. Crazy thought. Funny enough, though it looks kinda odd it doesn't look like a Victorian pocket watch with lugs welded on as most do from that time and later. Even the winder crown looks "modern"

Again apologies for the crappy fone pic.
    295319.jpg

Hampden Company wristwatch/wristlet with a silverine case(nickel). US made(though ended up in France of all places), with a very fancy movement, proclaiming Canton, Ohio as it's birthplace. Most of the later ones had a so so 7 jewel job, but this has the 15 jewel, with screwed chatoned jewels, Breguet spring, micrometer regulation, gorgeous finishing and gold writing all over the place. Real US of A bling :)
    1676701_4_l.jpg
    That's the movement in a ladies fob watch.

Odd thing about this is the winding/setting part. It's a lever set. This means you have to pop the front open, slide a tiny lever just below the 5 and then the crown turns the hands. Apparently the patent for the crown doing all the work of winding and setting was held by others and they didn't pay for the patent at this early stage.

IMH at this time our American friends were blowing the European makers out of the bloody water on the mid to high end range stuff. Their mid range stuff wouldn't look outa place on some serious Swiss names. That watch is one of the most accurate I own. In the last 24 hours it's lost 10 seconds(and consistently does so) and it's long overdue a service(and a new crystal).

And what ever happened to the Hampden watch company from Ohio Main Street USA? Odd one. After the Great war, they didn't keep up with the times, or fashion and slowly started going downhill, ending up bankrupt by the late 20's*.

Enter, stage left and way out of left field, the Communist Soviet Union. They bought this US company lock, stock and barrel and shipped it to Russia, along with hiring a few master watchmakers to train in the locals. It became the Moscow Watch Factory and so in the end the Hampden Watch Co(with a little help from German stuff after WW2) gave rise to the Poljots, Raketas, Vostoks and the like.

So in a way without the crowd that made my watch all those years ago our own mate Peasant would be down quite a few of his very cool timepieces. :D

And so ends my usual Saturday night boring history meanderings. Ah sure you're all out getting beered up so... This will help sober you up in the morrow.:D

*really weird one, their watches feature in the film "The Maltese Falcon". not the Bogart one, but the original from 1931. Bet many of ye didn't know that was a remake. So no slagging remakes. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Wibbs

Thanks for that!

Heres a WUS post about some early soviet watches with Dueber Hampden movements:
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f10/gostrest-tochmekh-type-2-pocket-watch-965777.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Lovely watch Wibbs, and a nice history lesson too. An early wrist watch is on my wants list, the 1880s pocket watch that I have is not for taking out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

On a black Nato Temporarily

Its cracking...

Now, off for a service

DT
    IMG_0100_zps820dd38a.jpg

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Looks fantastic! DT and the right amount of patina IMH. It is the bigger sized one too(was slightly worried it may have been the 32mm version). Looks like the minute hand got a bump in transit :( Still a good watchmaker should be able to stabilise that(actually hang on, Ill have a root around...). The movement won't be an issue as they've a good un. Solid, simple and dependable and yours is the "proper" full sized one and the better quality one with it. Well may you wear DT. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭gafarrell

Purchased this in NYC in 2008. I didnt wear it in a few years. Took it out this afternoon and put in a new battery. Its now proudly on my wrist again.
    2014-03-01205842_zps7f6877ad.jpg

Yet another Saturday night special...

This time another early wristwatch, or wristlet or bracelet watch as they were often called at the time. Made a year after the 1915 New York National Retail Jewelers' Association of America, where an august delegate by the name of Louis Ebeling mused this; "The wrist watch will never be a common timepiece, while it is stylish, it is going to give us a lot of trouble. I think we'd better let matters stand as they are."

Slightly better fone pic from earlier today;
    296601.jpg
    One 1916 Longines "trench watch". Solid silver hallmarked case and unusually for the time movable lugs and better again a decent size, 37mm.

I have to say I do like silver as a material as it changes with wear*. When I first got this many years ago it was as black as your boot from tarnish and even now it picks up funky patterns of patina from the strap.

Built like a pocket watch with two hinged cuvette backs to it, even has the original pumpkin crown with a tiny L in the top. Longines 13.34 15 jewel movement. Serial number on movement and case, something very few makers did at the time. Makes gauging the history of a Longines easier than nearly all the rest(and if you email them with said serial they'll give you the details of it's history from their handwritten ledgers going back to the mid 1800's). Also marked with the UK import hallmark for 1916 and "AB", one Arthur Baume from Baume & Co who was Longines' sole agent in Britain(and it's empire) at the time.

This is also a "birthday watch" of our country in a way. While the Great War raged, Irish streets were fighting a long sought revolution to give us all our autonomy today. When I glance at the time for our more mundane reasons these days, every so often I do glance a little bit longer.

As a day to day watch? I've read all sorts of good advice about vintage watches, that they should be special day watches, cosseted, pampered, delicately worn. That is V good advice BTW, especially for these old codgers. However.... I've had this one for a long time. I've worn it a lot, daily for many a year and it gets wrist time on a very regular basis to this day. I've had all sorts of thrills and spills with it. The only real care I've given it is that I kept it away from water, well immersing it in water anyway, I've defo worn it in the pissins of an Irish winter and walked home pissed as a fart in the snow obsessively checking the time as a went(as you do when pissed :o:D). Even so, it's been one of the most accurate and dependable watches I have ever owned/looked after. Not too bad for a leaky 98 year old. :)

*they often say it's too soft a material for modern watches. ORLY? Just shy of a century and still goin strong boyo. :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

That's a really nice wibbs. I know I'm being irrational but the lack of radium on the dial makes these early early watches even more attractive to me. (Less radium wabi is a good thing imho)

+1 M. You can see the typestyle far better. Safer too. It's a relatively easy task to clean the enamel dials of radium, the metal dials can be an issue sometimes. Either way, don't try that at home folks. Although it will have long lost it's glow(the phosphors burn out), the radium is still very radioactive. Inhale a tiny speck of that into your lungs and a 60 a day smoking habit would start to look healthy by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Got this in the post today. It's a "Maranez Layan", which is basically a cheap version of a Magrette from Asia, with a Seiko movement. It has a bronze (not brass) case, which is developing a nice patina.

I think I would prefer that there was a second hand, and that the crown and buckle matched the material of the case a little better. It's also available with a California dial, which looks pretty cool. It has screw bars instead of spring bars, which makes it easy to change straps.

12901625753_8a5cde9cfe.jpg

12901620623_f1ef57c8cd.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

My Speedy on a leather curved end Hirsch Medici (I think)....

Speedy_zpsa1420dab.jpg

There's me going on about silver as a case material that patinates up nice and along comes Eoin with a bronze case. Sweet. I gather you can age them up more quickly using eggs. Yep eggs. Hard boil a couple, crumble them up, stick the resultant mess into a zip lock bag and then put the watch in the same bag, not touching the eggy goo. The gasses from the egg speeds up the patination. Not as real as the real thing over the months years though. Old bronze has a gorgeous colour.

I bloody love the Omega Speedy. One of the few vintage/modern Omegas I like. Looks good on the leather fulladapipes. Hell one of those would look good on a piece of torn bedsheet tied to your wrist. :)

My only issue with the Speedy is the lack of a date. I wear a Submariner a lot which has a date, but then I miss the chronometre. I wear the Speedy and I miss the date. New Speedy models with date are 44.25mm which is a bit big (and expensive) I reckon. So, a 42mm Speedy 3573 like my one with a date would be perfect... It is a fine watch though.

Funny enough F the lack of date is what I like about the Speedy. Not a big fan of date windows TBH, but especially on a chrono. For me they add just too much "busyness" to a chrono dial. Bear in mind F, I am an odd bastid, someone for whom the Submariners do nothing for, so that says it all. :o:D

Here's a very cheap and cheerful pic of my only chrono(no date goddammit!!).

A(pre TAG) Heuer 1550 SG two register handwound chronograph* on a BUND leather strap, as issued to the German Bundeswehr from the late 1960's down to today, usually touted as "pure" pilots watches, but issued to other sections too. Column wheel chronograph, with a "flyback" function, which means it can be reset to zero on the fly and time a second event(This video demonstrates this. Interestingly, mine doesn't have issue marks on the back case, so wasn't an issued piece. It's an early one too, with a very low case number(also has polished pushers and crown unlike the standard matt finish). Odd as they weren't offered/easy to get as a "civilian" until the mid 80's when the Germans sold off a job lot of them through SINN of all people and even then they had the case markings. I've only seen one other like it. Pure fluke on my part. Didn't know when I bought it. The strap has the issue numbers though so that's "official". :D

*it's an update of a Leonidas chrono also issued to the German and Italian forces, that Heuer updated when they bought Leonidas. Investment advice? Try and buy the Leonidas. Far more rare, far less likely to be made up from spare parts, but only 10% more expensive and often cheaper than the later Heuer. For my money both are still undervalued. Try getting another issued military column wheel chrono for the money. I got mine for under 1500, under 2000 is common enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭burnhardlanger

My only issue with the Speedy is the lack of a date. I wear a Submariner a lot which has a date, but then I miss the chronometre. I wear the Speedy and I miss the date. New Speedy models with date are 44.25mm which is a bit big (and expensive) I reckon. So, a 42mm Speedy 3573 like my one with a date would be perfect... It is a fine watch though.

Want a date function with the Speedy?
    Today is the 3rd.
    Start the chrono and stop the chrono hand at 3.
    Start/Stop again tomorrow for the 4th etc

:D

Today is the 3rd.

Very Clever

Just a thought, but does anybody know what Speedies come in 42mm with a date function (as opposed to just 'a date'!)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Can anyone explain to me why I have 3 bids out on 3 Trench watches at the moment? Need to pull back from viewing this thread!!

Can anyone explain to me why I have 3 bids out on 3 Trench watches at the moment? Need to pull back from viewing this thread!!
    Ahhh *rubs hands together* I have successfully infected you with the Wristlet virus. No known cure. :pac: On that score a few days ago I saw a bloody lovely JW Benson label one with a longines movement and a black dial go for little over the 200 quid mark. Actually there is a cure TH. Being broke. :(:mad::D

Today is the 3rd.

Y'know I should warn you for trolling, but I like that kinda twisted thinking BHL and it means no need for a date on a chrono. Kudos sir. :D

• Advertisement

Still Loving this
    IMG_0103_zps66c8fbd3.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

Nice pic, and the background makes a change from the usual keyboards :-)

My Speedy on a leather curved end Hirsc Medici

Sorry, late to the thread. Loving that Speedy photo though. Got mine a few months ago and probably sound like a broken record but I think they are amazing. Wearing mine on a cheap Darlena strap from Timefactors until I get the bracelet clasp spring fixed. They are super comfy on leather.

MiCr0 wrote: »
    Nice pic, and the background makes a change from the usual keyboards :-)
    *still trying to work out how to ban an admin, while looking around for better backgrounds*:mad::pac:

Not sure if this is the right forum, but any thoughts on either of these two? They hit the mark for me in terms of being 42mm and having a date function. Prices I don't know about yet (but something would have to go)...: First, the Mark II 2014
    Speedmaster_Mark_II_32710435001001_zpse19200a3.jpg

And the reissued Speedmaster '57:
    Speedy57_zpsab24138d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Much prefer the second one.

Not sure if this is the right forum, but any thoughts on either of these two? They hit the mark for me in terms of being 42mm and having a date function. Prices I don't know about yet (but something would have to go)...: First, the Mark II 2014
    And the reissued Speedmaster '57:

Prefer the 1st one, more on the real speedie path and prefer the hands, more visible

Funnily enough, the '57 is much closer to the original, but I tend to agree with you about the hands. And I suspect the lume is much better. It's got a flat face though, and it's hard to guess how it'd look on a leather strap...

I prefer the 57 myself. IMH it'll look way better on a leather strap too. The original of the species likely came on one as standard. I even like the 50's/60's stylee hands and the chrono pushers. Real "classy" to my eye anyway.

The mark II speedy? Very funky looking watch. Nice too, very 1970's in case design. For me that kind of case tends to look far better on a bracelet. They can look odd on a leather, like you lost the bracelet kinda odd. I think it's the sheer mass of the shape that makes a leather strap look funny, too heavy for a poncy leather strap kinda thing? That said that one at least tapers towards the lugs so it might be OK. I'd want to see and wear one in the flesh first though.

So Disco Stu or Don Draper? :D You know for some reason I never really took to Omegas, but you guys keep showing some really nice ones and changing my mind. I wonder would they do a custom 57 minus the date... *runs*. :pac:

• Advertisement

I like the mk2 reissue. I like white speedy hands not the metal ones on '57's.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement