Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The General Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Animord wrote: »
    I know someone to raises 12 at a time and just puts them all (live) into the car and delivers them to a butcher who does all the nasty bit. She gets them back all wrapped and ready for freezing.

I'm far too soft to even do that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Me too, it would be like paying a hit man :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

Merkin wrote: »
    Me too, it would be like paying a hit man :eek:

Isn't that lucky for chicken farmers! They'd all be out of business if it wasn't for us!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

I really want roast chicken now!

Anyone know where I can get my hands on sriracha in Cork city?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

pampootie wrote: »

There's an Asian shop in Blackpool (can't remember the name of it, sorry) that has sriracha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

The only tragic thing about it is when you go looking for something yummy for dinner in the freezer - you pull out a bag that looks like it has possibilities and it turns out to be a bunch of stripped chicken bones! :D

LOL. Should have a shelf in the freezer labelled "Area 51" :pac:

Loire wrote: »
    LOL. Should have a shelf in the freezer labelled "Area 51" :pac:

As in Unidentified Frozen Objects?

When that happens I just ho to the chopper!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,870 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Jia Jia on Cornmarket St.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I think I've seen it in M&S in some Dublin stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Excellent, thanks guys. Teletext pear is that the one on the way out to Blackpool near the vets, or another one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I think at €10 a chicken (and if from the butchers I am presuming free range and organic) is excellent value for money and what we should expect to pay. There's all the costs to the supplier as outlined above by Animord but from a no waste perspective you can't get better. Between two of us we get two really yummy dinners out of a nice chicken. Mr. Merkin always says if you're going to kill an animal then at least do it the justice of using it and chickens are perfect.

Not being funny but .. Why would you expect it to be freerange / organic ??
    An organic one would have a sticker /sign on it ... And would be cheap out at a tenner ..
    A large free range one at a tenner from a butcher would be cheap enough as well, but free range can
    Mean loads of things, if the sign just says chicken then it's probably just chicken ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I was in Higgins butchers in Sutton this morning buying some italian sausages and I spotted something that brought back another childhood memory - Sunday afternoon salad with tongue. Unfortunately not a good memory!

Great big chunk of meat for a fiver so I'm looking for a good recipe, if anyone has one, that will banish my bad memories for ever. :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,075 ✭✭✭✭beertons

As in Unidentified Frozen Objects?

When that happens I just ho to the chopper!

Ah here. Spoiler? I just spat tea all over the dog.

beertons wrote: »
    Ah here. Spoiler? I just spat tea all over the dog.

Sorry! :o :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Excellent, thanks guys. Teletext pear is that the one on the way out to Blackpool near the vets, or another one?

Ive no idea where the vets is, sorry, but Google maps tells me it's on Leitrim street and is called Sun Cheong Hong - hope that helps!

I hadn't read the quoted text in your post just now TeletextPear so just see you saying that you didn't know where the vets was.

I thought to myself WHY is someone looking for the vets on the cookery chat thread?!! :eek:

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Spuds roasted, asparagus boiled, red wine reduction simmering. All that's left now is to fry the bejaysus out of 2 venison steaks I picked up this morning and wash em down with a Brouilly!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Hmmm, how many basill leaves should I use per cn of tomatoes?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I just passed Richard Corrigan in Dublin Airport.:)

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    Hmmm, how many basill leaves should I use per cn of tomatoes?

What's it for? If a bolognese or something like that, three or four should be nice without being overpowering.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I just passed Richard Corrigan in Dublin Airport.:)

You should have told him to pop in here if he's looking for any tips ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

I just pissed on Richard Corrigan in Dublin Airport.:)

HB I have been an avid reader of your posts and maybe even a fan-but why?

Please don't ban me for my Sunday afternoon sillyness

• Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Just ask any of my co-mods. I'm like that sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

I'm looking at increasingly stuffed vegetable drawer in my fridge but won't be using them over the next few days. I was thinking of making soup , but again won't be eating it until Thursday-Friday at earliest - am I better making the soup and freezing it? or should I freeze the veg now and make soup later in week?
    I'm feeling a bit lazy - have celery, onions, mushrooms, carrots and leeks.
    Despite knowing that soup if a great freezer option, I've never done it - mainly because I don't like the garlic-musty-freezer taste, and generally put a load of garlic in any soup I make.

While the veg is fresh I'd make a soup out if it this evening and then freeze it for when you want to eat it. I put lots of garlic in my veg soup as well. Just make sure it's fully cold before freezing and don't worry about appearance when you defrost it, it soon gets back to its best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Cooked my pearl barley this evening... Hated it :(

Texture is just not for me. Sad face.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Cooked my pearl barley this evening... Hated it :(

Texture is just not for me. Sad face.

I can't bring myself round to it either! Have tried it in stews, soups and as sidedish/risotto type thing, and just don't get it. Of all recipes I've tried, risotto-ish probably best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

What are peoples opinions on here about putting cling-film into ovens?

Some people who work in kitchens have told me that there's no problem with it, say if you wrap a joint tightly in cling film and then wrap that in tin foil and I've done it and I haven't died yet but then online a few sites say its a big no-no?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

catallus wrote: »
    What are peoples opinions on here about putting cling-film into ovens?

Some people who work in kitchens have told me that there's no problem with it, say if you wrap a joint tightly in cling film and then wrap that in tin foil and I've done it and I haven't died yet but then online a few sites say its a big no-no?

There's two different types of cling film as I know, one which oven/heat safe, the roll makes it look a pinky purpley colour which you see. In professional kitchens. The ones that aren't usually aren't oven safe as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,345 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Picard: Tea. Earl grey. Hot.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement