Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHIP IT!'s Built Like A Badass...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Thursday Jan 23

GAA preseason Day 14 (missed Day 13, work)

Usual stuff... few running drills... few ball drills... boring... or maybe I was just in a bad mood...

Saturday Jan 25

GAA preseason Day 15

All ballwork. Mainly backs v forwards. Rough ol morning, plenty of hard work in here. Feeling strong after a good winter's work, legs are standing up to the tough conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,577 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

How did you fare with the running and that kinda craic when you started off? Or were you doing some cardio in the off-season as well

How did you fare with the running and that kinda craic when you started off? Or were you doing some cardio in the off-season as well

I fared very well. I didn't really do any cardio in the close season..... but neither did anyone else! :D

Heading back to football soon so I was wondering how I'd fare going in cold. Well, I've done some short runs but none steady-state so hoping the extra strength will help.

• Advertisement

Tuesday Jan 28

GAA Preseason - Day 16

Short, sharp session with sprints, plymetric stuff and a few shuttles... in the motha f*ckin mud, MANNNN!!!! Also got a chance to kick a ball about afterward for a bit... which was nice...

Thursday Jan 30

GAA Preseason - Day 17

Was late down so missed alot of the running drills at the start. After that it was about 40 mins of 8/9 a-side... First challenge match on Sunday but with the weather forecast I'd be surprised if it went ahead.

Sunday Feb 2

Friendly called off so got some gym work in

1) BB Squat

Empty bar x 10
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    110kg x 5
    120kg x 5
    122.5kg x 5
    125kg x 5
    127.5kg x 5
    130kg x 5

2) Bench Press
    Empty bar x 12
    50kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    90kg x 5
    92.5kg x 5
    95kg x 5

3) Curlzzzzz 2 x 10

4) Push-ups x 40

Tuesday Feb 4

GAA Preseason - Day 18

Most miserable night I was ever outdoors in. Bit of a warm up with a couple of running drills then we retreated inside for some body weight work followed by some core conditioning.

Wednesday Feb 5

Recovery session
    - legs were tender after Sunday's squat session and alot of bodyweight legwork at training last night... so hit the foamroller, sliothar and stretchy band hard today and feel sooo much better...

Had a watch of this Kelly Starrett vid yesterday and found it helpful for the ol hip...

• Advertisement

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Wednesday Feb 5

Recovery session - legs were tender after Sunday's squat session and alot of bodyweight legwork at training last night... so hit the foamroller, sliothar and stretchy band hard today and feel sooo much better...

Had a watch of this Kelly Starrett vid yesterday and found it helpful for the ol hip...

Was all over that at yoga last night. The stretch at the 2:40 mark worked a treat. Like I'd put WD-40 into the hips.

Was all over that at yoga last night. The stretch at the 2:40 mark worked a treat. Like I'd put WD-40 into the hips.

The boy's a genius... I could actually feel the hip easing as I was doing it today...

Thursday Feb 6

GAA Preseason - Day 19

Basically all ball drills but with some interval-type running involved also... weather's been so sh*t... an oul match wouldn't go astray!

I'm thinking I might start my third stint at Built Like A Badass next Monday...

Saturday Feb 8

1) DB Bench Press
    18kg x 5
    22kg x 5
    26kg x 5
    30kg x 3
    36kg x 3
    40kg x 3
    42kg x 3

2) SUPERSET
    Tricep Pushdowns 4 x 8
    with
    Bicep Curls (22kg DBs) 4 x 8

3) Push Ups x 30

Friendly match tomorrow... should be a nice mudbath!

Sunday Feb 9

Match called off, unsurprisingly... had an hour practice match on the astro.. good run out... 25 mins in the jacuzzi and 10 in the sauna afterward, feeling good!

Probably asked before, but what position do you play? Stereotypical positioning would have you somewhere down the middle...

Probably asked before, but what position do you play? Stereotypical positioning would have you somewhere down the middle...

Played in the corner for 15 years... hated it for 14... hoping to be stuck somewhere through the middle this year, preferably at 11! :D

11 is a personal favourite...not the same expectation to score but plenty of involvement.

11 is a personal favourite...not the same expectation to score but plenty of involvement.

Yeah and ye can ponse about picking out passes with your socks pulled up to your knees :cool:

Above the knees, ftw.

Never got that pleasure myself...

• Advertisement

Monday Feb 10

A veritable plethora of foamrolling, mobility work, bandwork and sliothar-balling today... needed it!

Tuesday Feb 11

Built Like A Badass (Part III)

Week 1 - Day 1

1) Bench Press - working (somewhat ambitiously) off previous 1RM of 117.5kg

Warm-up Sets
    Empty bar x 10
    50kg x 8
    60kg x 8
    75kg x 8
    Work Sets
    85kg (72.5%) x 8
    92.5kg (~77.5kg) x 6
    97.5kg (82.5kg) x 4 or more = 5

2) DB Bench Press
    22kg DBs x 25 x 16

3) SUPERSET
    Seated Cable Rows 4 x 15
    with
    Tricep Pushdowns 4 x 15

4) SUPERSET
    DB Shrugs 3 x 15
    with
    DB Lat Raises 3 x 15

5) Barbell Circuit
    Deadlifts; Rows; Hang Cleans; Push Presses; Back Squats - each by 10
    Two circuits with strict 90 secs in between.. Plus a third bonus set...

Tuesday Feb 11 (Part II)

Had first friendly match at long last... amid a nice mini-blizzard!

Wasn't bad, felt we were comfortably ahead of the oppo (who play in our league) fitness wise so hopeful we'll hit the ground running when League games start this Sunday - weather permitting!

Thursday Feb 13

Built Like a Badass

Week 1 - Day 2

Warm-up:
    Dynamic(ish!) lower-body warm-up

1) Squat Jumps
    (with 5kg DBs) 4 x 6

2) BB Squat - working off previous 1RM of 162.5kg
    Warm-up Sets
    Empty Bar x 10
    60kg x 8
    80kg x 8
    100kg x 8
    110kg x 4

Work Sets
    117.5kg (72.5%) x 8
    125kg (77.5%) x 6
    135kg (82.5%) x 4 or more = 5

3) SUPERSET

Weighted back raises 3 x 15
    with
    Medicine Ball Twists 3 x 20

4) Timed One-mile Run - 6:07

Saturday Feb 15

Built Like a Badass

Week 1 - Day 3

1) Chin Ups:
    MR (30) followed by 50%MR (15)

2) SUPERSET
    Lat Pulldowns 2 x 15
    with
    DB Standing Shoulder Press (15kg) x 22 x 15

3) SUPERSET
    Rolling Tricep Extensions 4 x 8
    with
    Hammer Curls 4 x 8

4) Core Circuit x 2
    Toe Touches x 20
    Bicycle x 30
    Side Plank x 30 secs either side

5) 100 Push-Ups as fast as possible: 5:55

Managed to eventually clear up a long-standing right shoulder issue a few weeks ago... and it's very helpfully switched to the left shoulder now! Similar pain in a slightly different part of the shoulder :rolleyes:
    So will work on that on recovery days. Push-ups were painful today and any isolation work with DBs I did this week was very tough on the left shoulder.

Sunday Feb 16

Played our second friendly match today - we played three 20-min 'halves', I played half-forward in the first and third sections, felt good, played decent. Feel good... now I just need to see if they'll bring in a rule where I can take a 20-min rest in the middle of every game! :)

Conditioning/Circuit session on Tuesday evening which I'll miss (working) and and pitch session on Thursday evening. I'll get gym sessions in tomorrow, Tuesday and Friday/Saturday morning all going to plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Saturday Feb 15

Built Like a Badass

Week 1 - Day 3

1) Chin Ups:
    MR (30) followed by 50%MR (15)

Is that 30 straight chins? Impressive if so.

Well, this is awkward... :pac:

Boards have a "Boards match making" link here...
    http://www.boards.ie/love.php

12585429783_f0a27e8060.jpg
    Boards by burgomeister08, on Flickr

Thursday Feb 20

GAA Training

All ballwork with plenty of sprints involved and a game of backs v forwards. First league match Sunday morning.

Saturday Feb 22

Warm-up:
    Some foamrolling and bandwork and sliothar work

1) Bench Press
    Warm Up
    Empty Bar x 12
    50kg x 7
    60kg x 7
    70kg x 7
    80kg x 7

Work Sets
    90kg (~75%RM) x 7
    95kg (~80%) x 5
    100kg (85%) x 2 (should've been a triple)
    Left shoulder just gave out. Have been ignoring it like an idiot hoping it would go away but today it was just too sore. It felt ok at first after loosening it up and getting the sliothar in there etc but enough is enough - I can't go any further until I have it sorted. It's actually more painful than the right one ever was. The right one, of course, feels 100% fine now.

I ignored it last week even though I almost dropped a 20kg DB on myself when bench pressing.

This. Sucks. Ass. :(

• Advertisement

This is me, next week... Legs are fine so Leg Day(s) won't be getting overlooked...

Advertisement