Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport (Feb 2012 - Jan 2014)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Claregirl

Has anyone any insider info of a new Shannon / Glasgow route being set up?

Maybe RyanAir could be persuaded to re-route the Knock flights to Shannon:P

It's a pain having to get the Edinburgh flight and then bus to Glasgow or trek to and from Dublin :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

Selective use of the press release:rolleyes:
    A little further down on said article.
    Not really. "Work with" could also be a euphemism for "we paid/part paid them to do it". Or it could mean non-financial support. So its exactly as I said; people will make of it what they will, but none of us know the actual arrangement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

'Work with' could mean a lot of things but I'd be surprised if Ryanair spent any of their own money on the Santa flights. It would be totally out of character for them to do so.
    Claregirl wrote: »
    Has anyone any insider info of a new Shannon / Glasgow route being set up?

Maybe RyanAir could be persuaded to re-route the Knock flights to Shannon:P

It's a pain having to get the Edinburgh flight and then bus to Glasgow or trek to and from Dublin :(

After the failure of the recent flybe effort on the route it appears highly unlikely that any other carrier will look at Shannon - Glasgow for some time. Both Aer Lingus Regional and Ryanair (to Prestwick) have also failed on this route previously from Shannon.
    imurdaddy wrote: »
    Also where did you get the figure of 9,000 seats?
    imurdaddy wrote: »
    Yes but in this case its 4500 pax on a one way flight! Its nonsense trying to spin it as 9000 pax! We all know it was 3000 kids plus 1500 parents.

You do know that they're not all still flying around up there, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

I'd be surprised if Ryanair spent any of their own money on the Santa flights

So you don't buy the new cuddly caring image of Mick O' Leary?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Not really. "Work with" could also be a euphemism for "we paid/part paid them to do it". Or it could mean non-financial support. So its exactly as I said; people will make of it what they will, but none of us know the actual arrangement.

Do you have some sort of agenda or bias here GCU? You've a lot to say on Shannon for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

So you don't buy the new cuddly caring image of Mick O' Leary?

Maybe in the future he will be known as the iron fist in the velvet glove.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

'Work with' could mean a lot of things but I'd be surprised if Ryanair spent any of their own money on the Santa flights. It would be totally out of character for them to do so.

After the failure of the recent flybe effort on the route it appears highly unlikely that any other carrier will look at Shannon - Glasgow for some time. Both Aer Lingus Regional and Ryanair (to Prestwick) have also failed on this route previously from Shannon.

You do know that they're not all still flying around up there, right?

Don't forget every time Liam McCarthy flies in and out of shannon there is a special seat reserved for him so that boosts passenger numbers artificially too, not that knock need to worry about flying Sam McGuire anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

relaxed wrote: »
    Don't forget every time Liam McCarthy flies in and out of shannon there is a special seat reserved for him so that boosts passenger numbers artificially too, not that knock need to worry about flying Sam McGuire anywhere.

:D:D

Oh ooo, CosmoK and MayoMaffia will be livid after that :pac:

Just wait............:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Ah, it'll happen for us sooner or later! Of course, if we focused instead on a provincial sport that is only taken seriously by a handful of counties like you lads do I have no doubt we'd have won it out more than four times in our history at this stage...:P

Was Shannon / Glasgow (and also the Knock / Edinburgh route) not cut due to Flybe's financial woe's as opposed to a "failure" on the route?

Can't speak for Knock / Edinburgh but used the Shannon / Glasgow route myself quite regularly and it seemed busy can't seem to find any passenger figures for it tho.

• Advertisement

Do you have some sort of agenda or bias here GCU? You've a lot to say on Shannon for sure.
    Nope, no agenda or bias at all. Any comment I make is simply exploration of facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 bannerlady20

Shannon - Glasgow was cut along with a number of other routes because of Flybes financial crisis not because of failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭billie1b

Ryanair have done many a thing out of character as you put it and paid for it themselves, they just don't glorify it and make it public like other airlines

Ah, it'll happen for us sooner or later! Of course, if we focused instead on a provincial sport that is only taken seriously by a handful of counties like you lads do I have no doubt we'd have won it out more than four times in our history at this stage...:P

If the poor sods got to croke park a fraction of the times we do, we would have to bail them out all over again :D

Claregirl wrote: »
    Was Shannon / Glasgow (and also the Knock / Edinburgh route) not cut due to Flybe's financial woe's as opposed to a "failure" on the route?

Can't speak for Knock / Edinburgh but used the Shannon / Glasgow route myself quite regularly and it seemed busy can't seem to find any passenger figures for it tho.

lots of Donegal, Sligo, Leitrim and Mayo people communte to Scotland for work and college, always have done. Its this that likely keeps the scottish routes from Knock successful.

Probably not as common down south.

lots of Donegal, Sligo, Leitrim and Mayo people communte to Scotland for work and college, always have done. Its this that likely keeps the scottish routes from Knock successful.

Probably not as common down south.

I'd have agreed with you pre-recession but since the recession kicked in you'd be very surprised the number of people commuting to Scotland / UK from down south.

Having said that the day of the All Ireland Hurling Final Replay Clare supporters were heavily outnumbered by Cork supporters (maybe they all got tickets)!

Glasgow's universities are also full of students from down south as the fees are now similar to the registration fees here and there's a wider choice of courses on offer. It would be interesting to see the passenger figures though!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I was speaking with someone that works in the airport during the week and mentioned the increase in passengers and how it was handy that the Santa flights bumped up the numbers, I was told that only passengers from other airports and that disembark their flights count, so the Santa flights and private jets where the people don't get off don't count. The numbers for airport footfall is different though, that includes staff, airline crews, people dropping off, etc. etc. These numbers can have a massive effect on rent costs for businesses in the airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

My French connections are truly delighted that as from April there will be a direct Ryanair flight between Shannon & Beauvais.

Clareman wrote: »
    I was told that only passengers from other airports and that disembark their flights count, so the Santa flights and private jets where the people don't get off don't count.
    I'm afraid, I'd need to see that from a verifiable source.

Maybe what you heard is right. But, I'm afraid, the basis for trust just doesn't exist. The charter cost of those 24 flights would be something of the order of €250,000. You'd get an awful lot of advertising space in the Clare People for that kind of spend, so you'll appreciate why we've a degree of scepticism around who carried the cost for this promotion.

I'm afraid, I'd need to see that from a verifiable source.

Maybe what you heard is right. But, I'm afraid, the basis for trust just doesn't exist. The charter cost of those 24 flights would be something of the order of €250,000. You'd get an awful lot of advertising space in the Clare People for that kind of spend, so you'll appreciate why we've a degree of scepticism around who carried the cost for this promotion.

I am curious as to why this is causing you such difficulty?

• Advertisement

I am curious as to why this is causing you such difficulty?

Because he cant comprehend the fact that Ryanair probably paid it, people don't believe they do good deeds, even though they have done many before, they just don't publicise them. The cost of it for Ryanair wouldn't of been anywhere near €250,000 either

billie1b wrote: »
    Because he cant comprehend the fact that Ryanair probably paid it, people don't believe they do good deeds, even though they have done many before, they just don't publicise them. The cost of it for Ryanair wouldn't of been anywhere near €250,000 either

Indeed, on the one hand he makes up numbers from thin air but on the other side gets upset that other people might be making up numbers!

I'd love to know his figures of €250,000 fuel alone would have been around €30,000 - €50,000 staff costs less than €20,000

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'd love to know his figures of €250,000 fuel alone would have been around €30,000 - €50,000 staff costs less than €20,000

And don't forget it was probably tax deductible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

People would definitely believe that Michael O'Leary eats mince pies made from kittens and puppies. ;)

People would definitely believe that Michael O'Leary eats mince pies made from kittens and puppies. ;)

Of course they would, it could be proven by the FSA that it was all false and untrue but everyone would say 'sure he's paying them off, just like he did with the IAA to lie about his planes and the fuel fiasco'

But if we're talking about a wet lease, you're paying the operator for the fact of having a maintained, crewed aircraft available at relatively short notice. And, from Ryanair's point of view, the cost is the earnings foregone by not having the aircraft employed on some other route.

Even if you take your figures (solely relating to fuel and staff and ignoring Ryanair's need to make a commercial return after covering all costs) , you get a figure of €50 - €70,000. That would still buy an awful lot of advertising space in the Clare People.

But if we're talking about a wet lease, you're paying the operator for the fact of having a maintained, crewed aircraft available at relatively short notice. And, from Ryanair's point of view, the cost is the earnings foregone by not having the aircraft employed on some other route.

Even if you take your figures (solely relating to fuel and staff and ignoring Ryanair's need to make a commercial return after covering all costs) , you get a figure of €50 - €70,000. That would still buy an awful lot of advertising space in the Clare People.

But the aircraft weren't wet leased, he had 20 aircraft lying up for the winter schedule, so 6 were put to use for it with crews that were more than likely on SBY days. They do Santa flights with staff every year for free, I can see this as a genuine gesture too

I can see this as a genuine gesture too
    And maybe it was. But I'm just so tired of the thick layer of spin that we're expected to swallow on so many things (and I'm not talking at all about Shannon when I say that) that I find I just want straight answers to straight questions. Like, a statement from SNN management saying "we got 1.4 million passengers and, no, that doesn't include the Santa flights" and a statement from Ryanair saying plainly "we covered all the costs for this, apart from SNN letting us off on the landing fees".

And, in fairness, I do know that no-one here can deliver that level of corroboration. So we'll just hold to whatever version of reality we feel most comfortable with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Summit swings into action for slice of sports tourism market (Irish Independent)

A push to make Ireland a leading international sports tourism destination will be made at a global summit to be held this spring.

The Sport Tourism summit in Thomond Park, Limerick, this May will involve international experts discussing how Irish cities and communities can get a slice of the €450bn industry.

Organised by W2 Consulting, the Shannon Airport-sponsored event, which has Independent Newspapers as its media partner, will be attended by more than 400 delegates.

W2 Consulting director and former rugby star Keith Wood said that sports tourism represents a huge opportunity for Ireland. "Sports tourism is huge business and it's getting bigger and bigger," he said.

Shannon Group chairman Rose Hynes said that developing a major sports tourism strategy must be a priority for Ireland.

"As an airport we see first-hand the value of sports tourism.

"Huge numbers of golfers, for instance, come through Shannon each year."

Latest statistics show that 150,000-plus golfers come to Ireland each year, generating up to €200m.

"There are several other sports, such as mass-participation cycling events, triathlons, hill-walking and tournaments led by local sports organisations that can attract big numbers," Ms Hynes added.

Speakers from the Rugby World Cup and Premier League clubs will attend the conference which will be staged annually in Limerick.
    I wonder would budget airlines like Ryanair be suitable enough in attracting Sport-Tourists to Shannon.

As they give the impression that they would like to do away with standard luggage in favour of people travelling light, i.e. hand-luggage only.

In other words, I can't imagine golfers, cyclists, anglers, surfers, etc, checking in their bulky sport equipment with Ryanair if it means hassle and extra expense.

The old Hapag Lloyd chartered flights (1970s-1990s) to Shannon use to cater very well for such tourists.

Aer Lingus were also very accommodating too, alas they only serve the U.S. and U.K. markets but not the E.U.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement