Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ferry to France (Launch Offer)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

First Up wrote: »
    From what I can see, the old LD service was out of Le Havre and mostly for freight. I saw a post in the old thread suggesting LD and Celtic are one and the same but I don't think that is the case. I think the boat Celtic use is chartered from LD and is the one that used to do the Le Havre run.
    Interesting that they reckon the market is big enough to support four operators. It has to be good for the customer.

It would appear that both ships are virtually identical in design & size...
    We travelled with Celtic Link last summer and swore never again... We found the ship very unstable even on light seas...
    WE've travelled Ireland-France about 10 times (so that's 20 crossings) and by far this was the most unenjoyable ship to travel in..

Checking the stats on the Oscar Wilde its shorter and only a few meters wider but its design seems to make for a far more stable enjoyable crossing... Its part of the holiday so I'd prefer if it was a nice ship to cross in..

Then the Pont Aven is even more comfortable but prices have been crazy, so hopefully the competition will help all round...

And then the crossing is 22 hours, I think this is pushing it for a ship with little/no entertainment on board.. For us, I just don't see the cheaper price being worth it if its likely to spoil my holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

bbam wrote: »
    We travelled with Celtic Link last summer and swore never again... We found the ship very unstable even on light seas...
    WE've travelled Ireland-France about 10 times (so that's 20 crossings) and by far this was the most unenjoyable ship to travel in..

Checking the stats on the Oscar Wilde its shorter and only a few meters wider but its design seems to make for a far more stable enjoyable crossing... Its part of the holiday so I'd prefer if it was a nice ship to cross in..

Then the Pont Aven is even more comfortable but prices have been crazy, so hopefully the competition will help all round...

And then the crossing is 22 hours, I think this is pushing it for a ship with little/no entertainment on board.. For us, I just don't see the cheaper price being worth it if its likely to spoil my holiday.
    I'm inclined to agree. We count the trip as part of the experience and don't mind spending a bit more to eat in the proper restaurant etc. We've been on the Oscar Wilde in pretty rough conditions and it handles very well.
    That said, I wouldn't mind if the extra competition sharpens the prices a bit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

/\ you two boardsies strike me as those posters who bang with the "ohhh, I never fly Ryanair, I always go Aerlingus" on other threads......

Newsflash....No one cares about the oscar wilde and its restaurant, this is Bargain Alerts after all......it's about the Bargain!

MidlandsM wrote: »
    /\ you two boardsies strike me as those posters who bang with the "ohhh, I never fly Ryanair, I always go Aerlingus" on other threads......

Newsflash....No one cares about the oscar wilde and its restaurant, this is Bargain Alerts after all......it's about the Bargain!

Fair enough and I'll be very interested in reports on how people find it. But I don't see what's wrong with comparing what's available. People can make their own choices after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭billie1b

Off topic slightly and I apologise in advance, but the Oscar Wilde is in bits, holds well in the water but really needs a total rehaul or Irish Ferries should consider getting similar to the Ulysses on the route, much better ship

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

true, but there are pros and cons - the new route involves being on the boat for a full day rather than just overnight (as is the case with all the existing routes). If you have kids you'll find it tough to keep them entertained (and you'll probably end up spending extra cash on food and drink).

Then you arrive in France in the evening, so you've fairly limited time to get to your destination (most campsites won't let you check in after 9 or so).

As others have said, hopefully the competition will force the other operators to look at their prices.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Fair enough and I'll be very interested in reports on how people find it. But I don't see what's wrong with comparing what's available. People can make their own choices after that.

it's a no fills approach, like a ryanair of the seas. But big savings.

The Scintu is a run of the mill ro-ro ferry like many in service, built in 2009 - so not an old boat, and is very similar to the Norman Asturias that LD runs from Poole to Saint Nizaire...there is quite favourable reviews here of that boat and its standards....
    http://www.directferries.co.uk/ld_lines_norman_asturias.htm
    Interior Video here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uj32kYGdtg

The Norman Asturias is a 2007 build ferry, and the dimensions/stats are near identical, and the interior and facilities will be similar also, adequate to be fair for the price paid.
    The Scintu is actually going to be renamed the Norman Atlantic in January 14', to match up with the Asturias it seems.

I've done my research and crunched the holiday cash numbers, and I'm happy with what I saw. So I'm booked, €320 odd €'s, rosslare-st nazaire return, car, 5 people, 2 cabins each way.....how bad ehhh, and the savings have afforded us to book a 5 star camp site.....so, we might have to endure no frills for a day going out and back, but it'll be 5 star all the way in france whilst there......so, ferry travel and 5 star campsite - all for the price of what Irish Ferries would have charged just for the ferry alone. :P

That is what its all about.......a real billy bargain!:)

billie1b wrote: »
    Off topic slightly and I apologise in advance, but the Oscar Wilde is in bits, holds well in the water but really needs a total rehaul or Irish Ferries should consider getting similar to the Ulysses on the route, much better ship

It's a completely different boat for a different route.

The French route requires a night ferry, more cabins than vehicle decks.

I was surprised when Irish Continental sold the Pride of Bilbao which they had leased to P&O, I know that it is was an old ship, though it was well kept, and is currently serving the Stockholm St Petersburgh route, I wasn't on the Oscar Wilde so I cannot comment on it.

It certainly is great seeing more competition on the Continental route.

NoDrama wrote: »
    It's a completely different boat for a different route.

The French route requires a night ferry, more cabins than vehicle decks.

I was surprised when Irish Continental sold the Pride of Bilbao which they had leased to P&O, I know that it is was an old ship, though it was well kept, and is currently serving the Stockholm St Petersburgh route, I wasn't on the Oscar Wilde so I cannot comment on it.

It certainly is great seeing more competition on the Continental route.

The Oscar Wilde is in bits, cabins are small and disgusting, the cabin decks smell like puke, filthy dirty, its an awful pity when they purchased it they didn't go with a similar ship to the Ulysses, the Ulysses has at least 3 decks on it that could be converted to cabins, its a beautiful ship and puts the OW to shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

August 8

People are saving between 500 and 1000 euros and more with caravans. I saved 725, my accommodation came to 800 for a week in august in a three bedroom house with all the mod cons 20 minutes from the beach.

This is bargain alerts and this is one hell of a bargain alert. As I side note, I sailed on the celtic ferry last week and it was very stable, the cabins were very comfortable (much better than Oscar Wilde) and it was a very pleasant crossing.

• Advertisement

I think that's unfair.
    We have different expectations. I'd like to enjoy the crossing with a bit of space and a choice of restraunts and take it as a night of my holiday. We found the Celtic Horizon cheap and nasty rather than a bargain.
    I hope this route works out well and serves to push prices down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

July 4
    I paid 350 euro return for 5 people on Celtic Link for the October mid-term break. Had a few really nice days around the normandy beaches.

It is basic, but we knew what we were getting. We had a big feed in The Bailey, Enniscorthy on the way down, so we didnt need to eat. We have to be careful anyway as the wife needs gluten-free.

We did check the ferry out for breakfast but we were not confident so left it.

Now I have this booked for the 28th June and for what I paid - 350 euro, I can now afford to bring granny and get something much more fancy than I originally planned.

Some movies for the kids on the laptop, along with a good book, maybe a few pints. I wont be long passing that time away. As someone else mentioned, IT IS a long time, but I will have 700 euro extra in my pocket.

billie1b wrote: »
    The Oscar Wilde is in bits, cabins are small and disgusting, the cabin decks smell like puke, filthy dirty, its an awful pity when they purchased it they didn't go with a similar ship to the Ulysses, the Ulysses has at least 3 decks on it that could be converted to cabins, its a beautiful ship and puts the OW to shame.

A pretty extreme (and in my experience extremely inaccurate) description of the OW. I have used it many times and invariably find it a very pleasant and comfortable boat.
    Maybe this is not the right place, but I don't think serious criticisms like this should be let pass without getting other views.

A pretty extreme (and in my experience extremely inaccurate) description of the OW. I have used it many times and invariably find it a very pleasant and comfortable boat.
    Maybe this is not the right place, but I don't think serious criticisms like this should be let pass without getting other views.

I agree, its not the right place, we'll leave it at that, maybe when this new ship comes into service a forum will start up about the differences, good and bad.
    Back ontopic though, if I could I would of booked my holidays to France for next summer with LD but haven't got the spare cash at the minute, kinda really pissed about it, would say a good few euros

I hope it works out well..
    We compared it last night and it would be a saving of about €700, but we're going with Irish Ferries anyway

For those booking it, enjoy France, its just magic for the hols.

I think if I needed to save further I'd be looking at the landbridge option first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

We travelled with Celtic Link last summer and swore never again... We found the ship very unstable even on light seas..

'light seas' is meaningless the roll motion is severe as the meta-centric height varies in a specific ratio e.g 1/2 1/4 to the natural roll frequency of the ship. Any ship can roll like the bejaysus in 'light seas' if the wave period is twice the roll period.

re: tourist tax it varies depending on area and time of year for point st giles it seems to be: between mid June and mid Sept): € 0,46 / night / person aged + 16 - € 0,23 / night / person aged 13 to 16 years old

paddyp wrote: »
    'light seas' is meaningless the roll motion is severe as the meta-centric height varies in a specific ratio e.g 1/2 1/4 to the natural roll frequency of the ship. Any ship can roll like the bejaysus in 'light seas' if the wave period is twice the roll period.

re: tourist tax it varies depending on area and time of year for point st giles it seems to be: between mid June and mid Sept): € 0,46 / night / person aged + 16 - € 0,23 / night / person aged 13 to 16 years old

Don't stabilisers help?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

August 1
    Thanks for the bargain alert OP.

I had originally booked to sail out with Irish Ferries on the Saturday to Cherbourg getting to our campsite in St Jean De Monts Sunday evening around 6pm (have done it a few times) and returning Aug 16th Roscoff to Rosslare total of just over €811 including a 4 berth outside cabin each way using the "FranceC14" discount code which I thought was pretty good value compared to previous years which have been up to €1,100 but this bargain alert made me change my booking as my campsite booking is Sat 26th July to Sat July 16th so with Irish Ferries I was losing the first day of the holiday by not getting in until Sunday evening.

I'm now going out with LD Friday night the 15th getting to my campsite Saturday evening around 8:45pm for €165 with a 4 berth outside cabin and I changed my Irish Ferries booking to just the return leg.

Overall I'm gaining an extra day's holiday AND saving €250 at the same time :D

I know the LD is no frills but we went with Celtic Link last year and found it very comfortable to be honest. My kids are 9 and 13 and whilst they used to enjoy all the razzamataz of the shows etc on the Oscar Wilde they are now quite happy reading books, watching movies, playing cards/chess or just chilling listening to music. If the LD is anything similar to the Celtic Link it will be fine. The key is to be prepared so bring lot's of food (which can be kept cool/fresh in a picnic cool box) and lots of entertainment plus an extra couple of pillows.

Cheers all. Great bargain alert. I love Boards!!

Enjoy France everyone.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Am I still getting a present from France Ben? I thought of you when I saw this thread having just given you that discount code a few days earlier but I actually thought it wasn't possible to cancel the booking without having to still pay :)

Reading back over the thread, the new service to St Nazaire looks like its heaven sent for families going to the Vendée. The savings are serious money and bring a lovely holiday within range for many. Great to see the bookings being made.

We've taken a number of Gites in the St Jean/St Giles area as well as further down near Les Sables and Talmont. It's bit of a trek from Roscoff with an early morning start so getting off at St Nazaire is brilliant. Even better for La Baule.

The sailing times (and ship) do look to be designed more for freight drivers than private cars though and I think the holiday will start when you get off the ship, rather than when you get on.

We don't travel with young kids anymore and nowadays we tend to favour Cherbourg and Normandy - more variety, culture and sophistication. We have made the Cherbourg - Roscoff trip a few times and that's nice too. The ideal for us would be to see Irish Ferries cut prices a bit but if you travel outside the school holidays it can be a good deal even now.

I have absolutely no complaints about the Oscar Wilde, even in rough seas. Sailing from Dublin will be a nice feature also.

But really looking forward to reports on the new LD crossing. Will anyone do it before the summer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I have absolutely no complaints about the Oscar Wilde, even in rough seas. Sailing from Dublin will be a nice feature also.

the IF Dublin-Cherbourg route does not use the Oscar Wilde - it's a new boat they're chartered that is quite similar to the Celtic Link/LD Lines boats.

I'd agree the Oscar Wilde could do with a refit, but it's not as bad as some are making out on this thread.

It is good that there is now so much choice for Ireland - France, one possibilty would be to use different routes for the outbound and return legs, giving much more options for departure dates & times

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

August 1
    cormie wrote: »
    Am I still getting a present from France Ben? I thought of you when I saw this thread having just given you that discount code a few days earlier but I actually thought it wasn't possible to cancel the booking without having to still pay :)

You're the man(?) Cormie ;)

I just came across this thread by accident and I too didn't think I'd be able to amend my IF booking as I hadn't paid for a flexible option or anything but as I'd only paid the €100 deposit it allowed me to cancel the outbound leg, kept the same price for the "return" leg and applied the €100 I'd already paid against the reduced balance. Happy Days!!

I actually can't believe I'm getting a 3 week holiday in France for 2 adults and 2 kids in a great campsite in a large mobile home including return ferry for less than €2,900 :eek:

I'll upgrade that bottle I owe you to something drinkable :p

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ShaunC

paddyp wrote: »

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, sorry what? You lost me at "roll motion".

loyatemu wrote: »
    the IF Dublin-Cherbourg route does not use the Oscar Wilde - it's a new boat they're chartered that is quite similar to the Celtic Link/LD Lines boats.

I'd agree the Oscar Wilde could do with a refit, but it's not as bad as some are making out on this thread.

It is good that there is now so much choice for Ireland - France, one possibilty would be to use different routes for the outbound and return legs, giving much more options for departure dates & times

Thanks - I hadn't picked up on that. The Epsilon does look more like the Celtic/LD boats. I see IF are describing it as an "economy" service. When I have a clearer picture of dates, I'll compare the options - including Celtic and LD, although I don't think St Nazaire will suit. Nice to have that flexibility though.

August 8
    a little OT, but i'm trying to work out these French campsites. Prices in August are nuts. And you're in a mobile home. Got quoted like €1200 a week.

I have two kids who will be 5 & 3, but am getting offers of nice houses 15 minutes from the beach for like €800.

Are Campsites a better option for the kids?

August 8
    I hope it works out well..
    We compared it last night and it would be a saving of about €700, but we're going with Irish Ferries anyway

For those booking it, enjoy France, its just magic for the hols.

I think if I needed to save further I'd be looking at the landbridge option first.

that is astonishing...youd take two ferries, and a six hour drive (and 4 hours more northerly in France) over saving €700? I think you're in the wrong forum.

Hey look, I'm not one of those people that scrimps on holidays generally, that looks for the cheapest option every time, but €700 is too much. Nobody can justify that kind of extra money. Did you tell your partner?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭tennis12

Reading back over the thread, the new service to St Nazaire looks like its heaven sent for families going to the Vendée. The savings are serious money and bring a lovely holiday within range for many. Great to see the bookings being made.

We've taken a number of Gites in the St Jean/St Giles area as well as further down near Les Sables and Talmont. It's bit of a trek from Roscoff with an early morning start so getting off at St Nazaire is brilliant. Even better for La Baule.

The sailing times (and ship) do look to be designed more for freight drivers than private cars though and I think the holiday will start when you get off the ship, rather than when you get on.

We don't travel with young kids anymore and nowadays we tend to favour Cherbourg and Normandy - more variety, culture and sophistication. We have made the Cherbourg - Roscoff trip a few times and that's nice too. The ideal for us would be to see Irish Ferries cut prices a bit but if you travel outside the school holidays it can be a good deal even now.

But really looking forward to reports on the new LD crossing. Will anyone do it before the summer?

Where did you stay near les sables and talmont?
    We used to stay in Pierre & vacances port bourgenay for years. Camping Le littoral is also a great spot on the road between les sables and talmont.
    Miss those holiday days in the vendee. Don't know how my dad drove from Cherbourg to there in a 1988 escort xr3i 4 times with 3 small kids before we got the bigger family estate. This route would have been a godsend back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

a little OT, but i'm trying to work out these French campsites. Prices in August are nuts. And you're in a mobile home. Got quoted like €1200 a week.

I have two kids who will be 5 & 3, but am getting offers of nice houses 15 minutes from the beach for like €800.

If they have water slides and kids clubs possibly, also look for covered pool area you don't want to spend the whole holiday putting on factor 50.

From 14th of july you're competing with the 67 odd million french plus the irish, dutch, british so prices go bananans.

Even in high season you should be able to get beach chalets for €600 in municipal sites.

Found this yesterday camsite streetview :)

http://en.camping-streetview.com/

tennis12 wrote: »
    Where did you stay near les sables and talmont?
    We used to stay in Pierre & vacances port bourgenay for years. Camping Le littoral is also a great spot on the road between les sables and talmont.
    Miss those holiday days in the vendee. Don't know how my dad drove from Cherbourg to there in a 1988 escort xr3i 4 times with 3 small kids before we got the bigger family estate. This route would have been a godsend back then.

I'd have to look it up. We were in the country - about 10k inland. Its a lot cheaper in off the coast.

I just looked at the options for early May; car, four passengers and 2 cabins.

IF to Cherbourg from Dublin €606
    IF to Cherbourg from Rosslare €660
    LD to St Nazaire £269 (about €316)

And I see the ID boat arrives in St Nazaire at 16.00. That's OK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

August 1

My kids are 8,6 & 4 and we have been to both houses and camp sites in France over the last 5 years, which is better?

Hard to say, in the camp site you will have a pool, slides, play areas, kids camps and by and large a secure area for them to roam around. If you use all this really depends on you and your kids. We have found that in some cases you are paying for services you will not use; kids do not want to go to the camps, you are not happy for them to go to the pool alone etc. You are being asked for money for ice cream or crepes all day.

On the other hand in a house you may not have these facilities, you do have the beach and again depending on your choices you can have it to your self if you go AM, the French do not turn up until 12.00, by which time it is too hot for our Irish skin. There are plenty of playgrounds about, and I expect your kids may still be napping in the afternoon?

So which is better? I would say the house given the age of your kids now, but in a few years time a camp site. Do not forget it is your holiday too!

Advertisement