Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ferry to France (Launch Offer)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,792 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I was telling my dad about this as he loves to go to France camping but he said there's no way he can plan that far ahead unfortunately. Does anyone know if he was to book it now for a peak time sailing and change the dates later, will he be stuck paying the regular price as well as any amendment fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

July 18
    cormie wrote: »
    I was telling my dad about this as he loves to go to France camping but he said there's no way he can plan that far ahead unfortunately. Does anyone know if he was to book it now for a peak time sailing and change the dates later, will he be stuck paying the regular price as well as any amendment fee?

Yes, That's what the terms are saying unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,792 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Ah, what a pity, thanks for letting me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Qwerty? wrote: »
    Cheers OP, I spent the day thinking about it... but couldn't resist.

Heading to France again next July--- Irish Ferries wanted €1080:eek:, Celtic Link were €972:rolleyes: and LDlines were €326:D.

Looking forward to getting some first hand reports on the ship, facilities etc. 22 hours is a long time, so there would need to be some "diversion". Their website gives little information, beyond saying there is "a" bar and "a" restaurant. The Oscar Wilde and Pont Aven are good ships, so we'll have to see how this one compares.

Great to see some competition on the route. LD may not end up being everyone's cup of tea but a la Ryanair, they might help start a bit of a price war.

I wonder will they get much business over the winter? St Nazaire is grand for the Vendee etc. but not much there off season, nor is it on the main transport routes. To be watched with interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭irishrver

July 4
    I booked the ferry on Friday night and so far no conformation email back from ld lines, took a screen shot of the booking but as yet nothing, did everybody get their booking conformation email ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

July 25
    irishrver wrote: »
    I booked the ferry on Friday night and so far no conformation email back from ld lines, took a screen shot of the booking but as yet nothing, did everybody get their booking conformation email ?

Yes.
    Check spam folder maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭cambasque

anyone know, for the future, if they will run all year round ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

irishrver wrote: »

Got mine as soon as I booked. Maybe give them a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭redmissb

August 1
    Got my confirmation straight away too.

July 4
    Yes I checked the spam filter sent off a email to ld yesterday so just waiting for them to reply,thankfully I took the screen shot so I at least had reference numbers to quote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I'm hoping they put some later dates up, last sailing back to Ireland seems to be 3 September at the moment, my folks spend the whole summer over there and don't come back until October so Celtic Ferries are usually well priced (as they head over in May) but this would leave a much shorter drive to their house in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭delboy76

Was looking at booking this but not sure what size car to book. We have a Corolla Verso but do not have the roof box yet so I was wondering what size should or would cover me?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭billie1b

delboy76 wrote: »
    Was looking at booking this but not sure what size car to book. We have a Corolla Verso but do not have the roof box yet so I was wondering what size should or would cover me?

Up to 1.85 would be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

cambasque wrote: »
    great looking prices for this boat:D

for people wanting to holiday in france, especially self catering, try boncoin.fr the ordinary french person books directly with the owner through this, it"s like buy n sell, but in french, tap in where you want to rent in, location de vacances, and hey presto, cheapest way to find a rental in france IMHO you can always throw the writing onto a google translation....:p

If you view it in Google Chrome it should auto-translate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

First Up wrote: »
    St Nazaire is grand for the Vendee etc. but not much there off season, nor is it on the main transport routes.

Its about 50km from the route you'd be taking from roscoff to most of south west, andorra, spain, portgual and 250km closer to those destination in fact its closer or the same distance to 98% of the area of france than roscoff, its even closer to rennes, lorient, st. malo, mont saint michel. I don't see anything but advantages in the location unless you only want to visit that 2%.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

August 8
    Glad that everybody is getting involved on this......this may be my finest BA of all time.

Seeing some very good value on Airbnb, but they want the money upfront. Terrible value from some of the campsites. €1500 for a week in a mobile home in a campsite. eh, no thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Seeing some very good value on Airbnb

Definitely best bargain alert ever thank you.

Better not bring the wife here she might be tempted to feck off with choclatier owner :P:

https://www.airbnb.ie/rooms/2048625?checkin=04-07-2014&checkout=05-07-2014&s=4eb2
    original.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭tennis12

Great offer, we used to always use Irish ferries or Celtic link for our family trips to France since 1998. Always got terrible value and we went to the vendee, our last trip was 2 years ago as me and my sister were too grown up but this route would have been a god send and we always said crossing over that fine bridge in st Nazaire what a great route it would be if one was set up.

Anyway last year I worked on a campsite near my st Michelle, agree with booking direct with campsite or try some English companies, lifestyle holidays have a limited amount of campsites but are cheap and cheerful, canvas holidays can sometimes be competitive eurocamp is the new keycamp once this merger becomes complete and kel air are worth checking. Lifestyle holidays were UL to half as cheap as our units on the campsite sometimes, and no kids club but still had all the benefits of the campsite pools etc

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Dai John

There is a holiday village near Limoge www.lechat.nl. stayed there a couple of times,good facilities and reasonable price. Most of the chalets are owned privately but rented through the site owners.

July 4
    Got the email conformation at last had to ring France to get it they do not have an Irish land line yet. Roll on the summer, it will be interesting to see how we get on next summer it can not be as bad as the old Celtic link(p&o line) ferry ;)

• Advertisement

paddyp wrote: »
    Its about 50km from the route you'd be taking from roscoff to most of south west, andorra, spain, portgual and 250km closer to those destination in fact its closer or the same distance to 98% of the area of france than roscoff, its even closer to rennes, lorient, st. malo, mont saint michel. I don't see anything but advantages in the location unless you only want to visit that 2%.

I was thinking more of Cherbourg as a comparison for the commercial traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

I booked my holiday to Pointe st Gilles in Benodet (5 star) already. Saved a fortune by going through the campsite run by Sunelia. 21 June to July 16, large three bed Mobile home (family pacific) with TV and decking etc for 2,200 euro all in. Keycamp UK costs 4000 euro whereas Keycsmp Ireland costs 3,700 euro for similar accommodation with no TV. Fabulous camping.. have been there before.
    Have booked LD ferry (rosslare- st nazaire)for 325 euro with 4 berth cabin/Car . Boat looks fine. Paris over 1,200 euro to the Irish Ferries robbers in 2012. I have saved approx 2, 400. Euro on campsite and crossing. See WWW.sunelia.fr

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

I booked my holiday to Pointe st Gilles in Benodet (5 star) already. Saved a fortune by going through the campsite run by Sunelia. 21 June to July 16, large three bed Mobile home (family pacific) with TV and decking etc for 2,200 euro all in. Keycamp UK costs 4000 euro whereas Keycsmp Ireland costs 3,700 euro for similar accommodation with no TV. Fabulous camping.. have been there before.
    Have booked LD ferry (rosslare- st nazaire)for 325 euro with 4 berth cabin/Car . Boat looks fine. Paris over 1,200 euro to the Irish Ferries robbers in 2012. I have saved approx 2, 400. Euro on campsite and crossing. See WWW.sunelia.fr

That should 'I paid over ' not Paris over.;

The campsite is WWW.sunelia.com not fr.

They have campsites all over France ....4 and 5 * and they are brilliant. You will save loads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

thanks for the link, I note it mentions "tourist tax" to be paid on site ......how much a night would that roughly be?

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wextipp

Looking at some old posts on boards from 4 years ago it seems LD lines used to operate out of Rosslare before and then pulled out. It looks like Celtic Link took over the route then. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63322533
    Seems strange that they are coming back in when Celtic are still operating to France from Rosslare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

MidlandsM wrote: »
    thanks for the link, I note it mentions "tourist tax" to be paid on site ......how much a night would that roughly be?

In my experience the tourist tax is very low, 6 euro a week per person if I remember correctly.

wextipp wrote: »
    Looking at some old posts on boards from 4 years ago it seems LD lines used to operate out of Rosslare before and then pulled out. It looks like Celtic Link took over the route then. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63322533
    Seems strange that they are coming back in when Celtic are still operating to France from Rosslare.

From what I can see, the old LD service was out of Le Havre and mostly for freight. I saw a post in the old thread suggesting LD and Celtic are one and the same but I don't think that is the case. I think the boat Celtic use is chartered from LD and is the one that used to do the Le Havre run.
    Interesting that they reckon the market is big enough to support four operators. It has to be good for the customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

August 1
    The booking engine seems to be the same between LD and Celtic, I wonder if Celtic have leased this too from LD?

juneg wrote: »
    Now the question is will Brittany ferries reduce their extortionate rates to reflect the fact that they have 2 new routes to compete with this month??
    Wally Runs wrote: »
    The booking engine seems to be the same between LD and Celtic, I wonder if Celtic have leased this too from LD?

There must be some tie-up so. But they are offering different routes. Both look like they are mainly catering for commercial traffic - no frills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wextipp

First Up wrote: »
    From what I can see, the old LD service was out of Le Havre and mostly for freight. I saw a post in the old thread suggesting LD and Celtic are one and the same but I don't think that is the case. I think the boat Celtic use is chartered from LD and is the one that used to do the Le Havre run.
    Interesting that they reckon the market is big enough to support four operators. It has to be good for the customer.
    It seems that LD lines did charter the boat to Celtic and then LD Lines sued Celtic for 4 million.
    http://forums.bfenthusiasts.com/showthread.php?t=10870
    It's an interesting development.

Advertisement