Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

naughto wrote: »
    Do not sign up with the reps they are a disaster, ring them up its a lot quicker.

Reps are often cheaper. Its the same processing time, sales just go straight to the provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭domeld

naughto wrote: »
    Why do u want his number then?

I can check If e can get vdsl bb is yes i can give him a speed what he will get.
    I helped already few people here.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭domeld

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Voda probably.

No I don't work for any big operator.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

domeld wrote: »
    I can check If e can get vdsl bb is yes i can give him a speed what he will get.
    I helped already few people here.

Do you have any idea when KN Networks will build cabinets? My area is live and I don't have a VDSL cabinet in my estate yet.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

domeld wrote: »
    No I don't work for any big operator.

I knew it! IFA Telecom?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,404 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i spotted orange cable going in claremorris this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

irishgeo wrote: »
    i spotted orange cable going in claremorris this week.

That's the sub-duct into which the fibre cable is inserted.

260749.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

Do you have any idea when KN Networks will build cabinets? My area is live and I don't have a VDSL cabinet in my estate yet.

Vodafone checked already and said I could have 50 meg and never any lower than 28 meg.

PM sent if you could check just to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/eircom-ordered-to-remove-mini-hazardous-structures-1.1606080

Not sure if already posted. Wonder if this will delay the install of new cabs if they have to go back and move a load of pedestals into safer positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

ED E wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/eircom-ordered-to-remove-mini-hazardous-structures-1.1606080

Not sure if already posted. Wonder if this will delay the install of new cabs if they have to go back and move a load of pedestals into safer positions.

Aye

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057090342

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭lockup35

Looks like Eircom are expanding their fibre rollout possibly to reduce the impact of the ESB's entry into the market next year. I wonder is this extra expansion already included in the existing fibre map on the Eircom website or are other towns in line for fibre next year..

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/34999-eircom-to-expand-fibre-to/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

lockup35 wrote: »
    Looks like Eircom are expanding their fibre rollout possibly to reduce the impact of the ESB's entry into the market next year. I wonder is this extra expansion already included in the existing fibre map on the Eircom website or are other towns in line for fibre next year..

This is really good news, it looks like they will be covering 1.4 million of the 1.6 million homes in Ireland now!

That will mean it will be going into rural Ireland too. It sounds to me like every town and village in Ireland will be getting at least one cab.

That is really good news for people living in these villages and perhaps out to 4km around a village. Also it will mean fibre to these villages which can potentially be used to feed antennas for LTE and fixed wireless access to bring BB to the surrounding rural homes.

While the ESB FFTH project might have spurred this reaction from Eircom, I don't think it will have any effect on the ESB's decision to go ahead with their project. I believe the ESB fibre has the potential to steal 40 to 50% of Eircoms customers, much as UPC has done in their areas.

I've updated the thread title :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

While the ESB FFTH project might have spurred this reaction from Eircom, I don't think it will have any effect on the ESB's decision to go ahead with their project.

Hopefully you are correct ...... ESB is my only hope it seems ....

unless we get some fixed wireless provider covering this area.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

bk wrote: »
    This is really good news, it looks like they will be covering 1.4 million of the 1.6 million homes in Ireland now!

Correction, this will cover 1.4 million premises of 2 million premises, or 70% of all premises.

There are 1.6 million homes in Ireland but 2 million homes, business, etc.

So not quite as good, but still good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

Any idea when the new areas receiving fibre might be known ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,799 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Any idea when the new areas receiving fibre might be known ?

There is a link on the Eircom press release.

http://pressroom.eircom.net/press_releases/

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

There is a link on the Eircom press release.

http://pressroom.eircom.net/press_releases/

Thanks. That map States July 2016 and my village is not on it, but the 4 towns/villages which are next to my village are. All of them are only 6-8km away.

What a complete pain in the nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

july 2016 nice my exchange is on the list. hopefully they hurry the feck up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The closest village is now on the list ..... but I really doubt it will make any great difference to me due to distance ......

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

282526.png

The phone line runs along the road in front of our house but apparently eFibre is only available afar as the farmers fields behind our house! :rolleyes:

The arrow shows our house on the rollout map. Wouldnt that sicken ya! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Dempsey wrote: »
    282526.png

The phone line runs along the road in front of our house but apparently eFibre is only available afar as the farmers fields behind our house! :rolleyes:

The arrow shows our house on the rollout map. Wouldnt that sicken ya! :(

Those lines are only guestimates. Dont trust em.

ED E wrote: »
    Those lines are only guestimates. Dont trust em.

The rolleyes didnt do my sarcasm any justice! :D

The Littleton exchange isnt being upgraded which is why we cant get it. If I was in the Thurles area, I'd be getting UPC!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

With this rollout and the vectoring process - is it likely for users (i.e. me) on the fringes to get increased bandwith?

lockup35 wrote: »

I see from that article eircom say they have speeds of up to 100Mbs, but since when did this happen? Thought their max was 70.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Sully wrote: »
    I see from that article eircom say they have speeds of up to 100Mbs, but since when did this happen? Thought their max was 70.

It seems that the profile for VDSL2 they currently use (Profile 17a) can run up to 100Mbit/s.

It could be also that when they are running the bandwidth capacity they require initially, that 30% saved = a lot of monies saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,799 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

As always up to is the operative phrase. Vectoring will enable up to 100 and it is meant to happen from early 2014.

http://pressroom.eircom.net/press_releases/article/eircoms_Fibre_Network_to_Offer_Broadband_Speeds_of_100Mb/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭jmcc

It is churnalism, Sully,
    Clue-free, 100% recycled electrons. Eircom might kick things up when the initial eFibre contracts start to expire or if UPC hit them hard again.

Regards...jmcc

jmcc wrote: »
    or if UPC hit them hard again.

Regards...jmcc

100mb vs 200mb? UPC with probably even more punch in the bag.

But on the flip side, I suppose eircom will have a far bigger area than UPC.

Sound lads for the clarification, looking forward to getting fibre here in Tramore early next year. Shall pick things up a bit more for my speeds, hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭BowWow

As always up to is the operative phrase. Vectoring will enable up to 100 and it is meant to happen from early 2014.

http://pressroom.eircom.net/press_releases/article/eircoms_Fibre_Network_to_Offer_Broadband_Speeds_of_100Mb/

Will everyone's speed automatically increase, or is 100Mb going to be a third option, like 50Mb or 70Mb?

• Advertisement

BowWow wrote: »
    Will everyone's speed automatically increase, or is 100Mb going to be a third option, like 50Mb or 70Mb?

This is eircom, you'll pay for the privilege most likely

Advertisement