Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horizon tv issues when connect LG smart tv to network

Options
  • 14-09-2013 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all. I have horizon tv with all 3 services in the one box. All working well.

However I just bought an LG 47" smart tv and when I connect it to the network (wifi or Ethernet) the horizon box no longer allows me to change channels and freezes up with the remote to a point it's useless.

If I remove the tv from the network the horizon box and remote is good again.

Anyone seen this before or have any ideas?

I tried manual IP address etc on the tv and also hung my AirPort Extreme off the network as attached the tv to that but same issue. Tv on network works fine just the horizon box has issues.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Sully84

Anyone seen this before or know what's causing it??

• Registered Users Posts: 4 caffo79

Hi I have the same problem I just bought the 47' LG yesterday everything was fine with a Sony TV. I rang upc they couldn't even connect to the horizon box to factory reset it so are sending out a technician during the week. I only tried turning off the wifi on the TV after seeing your post and it all works fine again???

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Sully84

Ok so seems like there is a problem here which is a right pain and puts the tv as useless for a smart tv.

Can you update me on what happens when the 'technician' comes out??
    caffo79 wrote: »
    Hi I have the same problem I just bought the 47' LG yesterday everything was fine with a Sony TV. I rang upc they couldn't even connect to the horizon box to factory reset it so are sending out a technician during the week. I only tried turning off the wifi on the TV after seeing your post and it all works fine again???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Interesting. I had the same problem with my horizon also have an lg tv. I out it down to having g the media scan turned on. I did a factory reset and made sure to leave the media scale feature turned off and all seems fine former now. Except from ages other issues.

Hi I don't really understand what's the media scale feature . Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Virgin Media: Eamonn

Hi folks,

We are aware of an issue some customers are experiencing currently when connecting their Horizon TV HD+ box to a LG LN series Smart TV (via Ethernet cable or wirelessly), which causes the Horizon TV HD+ box to become unresponsive to remote control commands. Removing the TV’s ethernet connection, or disconnecting it from wi-fi, will resolve the issue but we appreciate this option prevents customers from availing of their Smart TV’s full functionality.

We are urgently investigating this, but unfortunately do not have an estimated time for solving this issue at the moment. Any customers experiencing this are welcome to PM UPC: Reps with their account details, and we will keep them informed of any further updates. We can also arrange, if required, for customers to have a separate modem/router installed to receive their broadband service which will eliminate this problem.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Virgin Media: Eamonn

caffo79 wrote: »

Hi there,

A service call won't resolve this issue unfortunately (see my other post on this thread with more details). Apologies that this was booked in error.

I can cancel the appointment if you PM UPC: Reps with your account number.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ILoveSpuds

Hey Guys,

Was there any word on a fix for this? I've an LG Smart TV and LG surround sound; surround sound seems to be okay but the TV just causes havoc with the Horizon box and it becomes unresponsive with lags. Obv have unconnected the Smart TV but not an ideal situation!

Thanks!

I havnt heard anything so still no fix for the problem. Thought we would have heard by now!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭satchman

Glad to see i'm not alone on this. Just upgraded to the Horizon box today and have the exact same issue, very annoying! Hope this is resolved asap.

• Advertisement

Just rang again about it lads; someone else had been calling this morning also. No update as of yet on a fix but they're going to call me when it's resolved.

It's a nuisance, I spent an hour this morning trying to figure out how to disable the wi-fi on my tv and eventually just had to connect a wired connection and enter the wrong password so as it would disconnect me. I'd like to think this was tested beforehand and just didn't come up because if it was known beforehand and Horizon was still released that's really bad form. LG is a very popular brand so it's not as if it's an obscure tv brand that nobody has!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dave82d

hi guys, just an update, I had a UPC engineer out today who didn't know about this problem, master reset the tv box is working fine, so just to let ya know still no change!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭-Toppy-

Umm is it just the LG LN series Smart TV? I have a lg47la860 arriving tomorrow and i just came across this post :(

Do UPC have any more details?

-Toppy-

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I'd be very curious if it does happen with the LA Models as I have muy eye on one also, please report back!!!

-Toppy- wrote: »
    Umm is it just the LG LN series Smart TV? I have a lg47la860 arriving tomorrow and i just came across this post :(

Do UPC have any more details?

-Toppy-

My baby is from the LN series but I'm unsure about the others' models. Still not functioning properly and no update from UPC yet.

Looks like I am suffering the same problem with the 47LA860W :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14 kneelo77

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I bought an 42LA690v yesterday and I've spend all day yesterday trying to figure out what was wrong. Box freezing, taking up to 2 mins to respond to a single remote click etc etc. I was going to give support a call today.

And this morning I stumble across this post. I've pretty much had it with horizon. I upgraded 2 weeks ago, and immediately had issues with audio dropping out and clipping. Eventually narrowed it down to the horizon scanning of my NAS media. UPC Support blaming 3rd party equipment and therefore not accepting any blame.

And now this. Seriously? So the UPC Horizon box is great..........if you don't use an LG TV and don't connect your NAS and don't want to use the DNLA features and you don't mind a crap EPG interface.

As advised earlier, I will DM this to UPC: reps but it seems UPC are in real trouble with this one if they can't get it figured out.

***EDIT***
    After speaking with UPC Support, they have advised me they are aware of the LG issue and until they have fixed it, to disconnect my TV from the network (wired and wirelessly). Not really an acceptable solution but a necessary one none the less. The girl I spoke with was helpful and apologetic, no reason to get angry with her, but this is infuriating me.

Was told no ETA on the fix but that the IT teams are working on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Larry_N

We can also arrange, if required, for customers to have a separate modem/router installed to receive their broadband service which will eliminate this problem.

Thanks

Has anyone received separate modem/router and did this solve the problem??

I've been dealing with UPC for over a month now trying to solve this and they never mentioned this option.

I have a cisco router on the way
    See
    https://twitter.com/gearoidtgriffin/status/387233454045159426
    http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057054494
    I will let you know how I get on
    Toppy

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Larry_N

Thanks Toppy,

I disconnected my smart TV from the horizon box and after a factory reset the box is working fine.
    Hopefully a separate Cisco router will solve the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭dazcush

Yep I'm having the same issue with my 47" LN series. It only started happening for me when I got a replacement Horizon box last week. Previous box had no issues with the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 kiz

Hey, I'm also experiencing network issues.

But just to throw something into the mix, my TV is a Samsung F8000. Only got the thing during the week.

It also seems to affect my house Phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 vinniemcm

Same issue here.
    Just switched to UPC horizon this week, to discover that when my LG42LA740V is connected to the box via wifi, the horizon box is effectively rendered useless. I now have a redundant Smart TV given (as recommened here) I have disconnected it from the box which resolves the freezing of the horizon box & remote control.

This solution is far from ideal or acceptable. Really annoyed that this hasn't been flagged by UPC somewhere & it really begs the question as to what level of testing was carried on the horizon box with smart tv's, for which LG is a significant enough player to justify inclusion!!!! Wish I'd found this post 2wks ago.

Assuming that UPC are continuing to investigate this issue until such time as they find a resolution (be it a firmware update or other option) will their reps on here keep this post updated with progress/results until satisfactorily resolved? There must be a way of been kept in thd loop on this until fixed?

If you you goto the talk to UPC forum and post there I got the UPC to reply to me there and PM there too

Seemingly in was just LG up to date but no doubt they would be interesting in hearing of problems with samsung too
    -Toppy-

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭dazcush

Just spoke to UPC "Tech Support" about this; they told me they expect to have a fix in the November s/w update. No word when in November that will be released.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭lar77

You can check if UPC know about an issue with your TV and Horizon here http://www.upc.nl/klantenservice/televisie/tv-checker/ . I'm sure there are lots of other not in their list

Horizon will not display HD properly on my TV ...

Hate to say it I dont think its worth anything (the checker)
    Mine which has the issue comes up with

Gefeliciteerd! Er zijn geen problemen bij ons bekend bij de door u opgegeven televisie. U geniet van alles wat Horizon u te bieden heeft, inclusief een perfecte HD-beeldkwaliteit.

(Ie works perflectly according to UPC NL)

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭lar77

I presume your tv would only be added to the list if you reported it to UPC as an issue.

My issue with the checker is my TV is on it as not working with Horizon yet UPC came to my house saw the TV and hooked it up anyway :confused: ...

ouch!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 alexsandro73

Hi guys, I also have the same problem. My LG model is 42LN575V, and UPC was not able to help me fix this issue, and told me to call regularly to see if they had found a way to fix it. If I knew this problem existed, I wouldn't have signed with them in the first place, and I am considering cancelling the subscription if they don't find a way to fix it soon. They funny thing is that it worked very well in the first month, and then never again. Having to turn in and off the wifi or removing the cable is NOT a solution for a big company like UPC. And this matter should have been resolved ASAP, in a few days. I guess we have to take this problem to the media, then I am sure they will find a quick solution. At least to the social medias like FB I am already taking it, go you too to their page on FB and make complaints.

Advertisement