Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N69/N22/N70 Tralee Bypass

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

pickled101 wrote: »
    ongarboy, the exit to Clash should be quicker for access to lower oakpark. That is a really handy exit and was a great idea, although if its over used then there will be delays exiting onto Clash as that can be hard to get out of at times anyway.

On another note
    The Cork/Killarney new bypass route is a mile and a half longer than the old road and I've heard many drivers say they will continue to use the old road. What planner thought cars exiting Tralee heading for Killarney would go right at the roundabout when its much shorter to keep going out the old road.

Was driving from Manor to Killarney this morning and decided to take the new road to check it out. It definitely felt much longer.

That said on the way back home I took the entire by-pass and reckon I saved myself 10 minutes going on the Listowel road.

And another thing, I would be concerned that some, let me say inexperienced driver, will drive the wrong way onto the by-pass coming against the flow of traffic on the Clash exit. A woman died on the Ennis by-pass/motorway after doing something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

On another note
    The Cork/Killarney new bypass route is a mile and a half longer than the old road and I've heard many drivers say they will continue to use the old road. What planner thought cars exiting Tralee heading for Killarney would go right at the roundabout when its much shorter to keep going out the old road.

On the day of the opening myself and my buddy ran our

-stupid crap Internet double post-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Ran our......horse off the railway bridge at ballymac?

Ran our......horse off the railway bridge at ballymac?

Lol, no, not quite, I was in crap Internet land then..sorry!
    What I was going to say is that on the day of the opening myself and my buddy ran our cars out the new road, and then turned and came in from the Killarney section, one turned off on the old road and the other(myself) on the new.
    He was up to Leith well before me, and I absolutely caned my car in the new road where as he took his time.

But in saying that, the new road is soo much nicer and there is a 100k as opposed to an 80k limit too to consider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Depends on your starting point (when leaving Tralee). My daily commute is 1.4km shorter which isnt much but the bigest difference is in the time it takes which is now 5-7 mins shorter. You wont get that benefit driving on the old road, nor will you get the benefit from increased fuel efficiency.

Shortest route isnt necessarily the best route

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

A lot if it too is down to the time of day your coming into town. I'd often come in from the limerick direction heading towards abbeydorney. I feel that the by pass will only help me early mornings lunch time and evening traffic. Coming through at 11 or 12 at night the by pass wouldn't make much difference apart from a few traffic lights. But would make great difference at school times etc

• Registered Users Posts: 31 MacLondon

The bypass has made it onto Google Maps today, with the new N69/N21/N22/N70/N86 layout accurately mapped.

Lots of errors along the way though, with wrong junctions and missing bridges/side-roads/Ballinorig slip road.

Google Maps have already corrected a few errors that were there this afternoon, adding the overbridges and slip road at Ballinorig/Knockawaddra.

Still a few errors there, but it's beginning to look reasonably correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

I just cycled the full length of the bypass for the first time. While overall impressed I think the combined walkway/cyclepath is just about suitable for the former purpose and completely useless for the latter. So expect cyclists to keep using the road, which is far less than ideal. Then I think I encountered another problem between the new Mitchells pitch and the entrance to Ballyseedy Wood. While the road is completely fenced off towards its western edge it is quite open towards Ballyseedy, which means that any animal that managed to cross the road somehow will have a very hard time finding its way out and away from the dangerous road. That was already very obvious just from plain sight, but nearly immediately I came accross the fresh carcass of what I think was an Irish Hare. Just next to it I found a dead rook that had apparently been hit while scavenging the hare. I think we should expect a lot more accidents involving animals right at that junction, especially during spring and early autumn periods.

268483.jpg

Then just minutes later I passed another, nearly equally sad sight after having left the bypass towards the Ballymullen roundabout:

268484.jpg

Brought to you by the people responsible for correct signage...

• Advertisement

There are Badger runs under the road in various places, woth the fencing on each side buried down deep to deter burrowing under, but I'm not sure what the deal is with rabbits.
    I'd prefer to hit a rabbit than a badger any day though.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

I'd prefer to hit a rabbit than a badger any day though.

A hare can easily be four times the size and weight of an average rabbit though, and they are also much rarer. Wouldn't be much of a difference compared to hitting a badger. But good to know that they build those tunnels under the road...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Down home and drove it today in the fine weather. Fantastic achievement and great plus for Tralee and all Kerry.

It seems double lane roundabouts are new to some drivers as I twice saw drivers stay in left lane when they were going right. Could cause accidents in busy traffic. I also see McDonald's were on the ball with a billboard trailer on the Killarney entrance giving directions for traffic it otherwise might have lost.

One final point. Maybe I overlooked it but Tralee edition of Kerryman printed yesterday had zero coverage of the bypass opening or motorist feedback. Surely this would be a big local news event or is it just us Boardsies into this??

• Registered Users Posts: 24 jerryqu

I'm out of town until next week and I'm intrigued about the rab posts.
    Are they a variation of the 'two-in-one-out' or something new altogether?

ongarboy wrote: »

One final point. Maybe I overlooked it but Tralee edition of Kerryman printed yesterday had zero coverage of the bypass opening or motorist feedback. Surely this would be a big local news event or is it just us Boardsies into this??
    Indeed there was Zero coverage of the Bypass opening in the Kerryman. Speaks volumes for the paper really.
    The biggest road ever opened in Kerry and zero coverage, what's that about!?
    If they had only asked I'd have written them something if they were that stuck..!

There was a bit in the Kerry's eye and the outlook had some decent photo coverage too which I luckily escaped from.

Re the roundabouts, as has been mentioned, many people in this fair county have real trouble with such things, a lot of the older people got their licence when the only dual carriageway was going into Naas!

While on the subject I followed an old guy in a brand new car last night that was more or less a third across the centre line of the dual carriageway weaving in and out. Not a notion of what he was at, and dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Morebypasses

Now that the road is open and having driven it several times I can safely say that I will never be convinced that the dual carriage way from the Ballybeggan roundabout to Leith was necessary. A new road from the roundabout at the forge cross to link up with the fat mile (or even the Abbeydorney road) would have been the piece de resistance. This would allow traffic from Ballyheigue, Ardfert, Fenit, Barrow Golf course etc avoid Caherslee & Oakpark if they wish to travel to Limerick/Killarney/Cork. The Ballybeggan to Leith leg was a complete waste of scare resources!!! Other than ease congestion outside the college (for college users) at peak times, I can’t see what it does for other road users in the town!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Mrs Dempsey

............. I can’t see what it does for other road users in the town!!!

Can't or won't :D

Now that the road is open and having driven it several times I can safely say that I will never be convinced that the dual carriage way from the Ballybeggan roundabout to Leith was necessary. A new road from the roundabout at the forge cross to link up with the fat mile (or even the Abbeydorney road) would have been the piece de resistance. This would allow traffic from Ballyheigue, Ardfert, Fenit, Barrow Golf course etc avoid Caherslee & Oakpark if they wish to travel to Limerick/Killarney/Cork. The Ballybeggan to Leith leg was a complete waste of scare resources!!! Other than ease congestion outside the college (for college users) at peak times, I can’t see what it does for other road users in the town!!!

As we have previously covered here more than once, the new Bypass was NRA funded and designed to link the National roads around Tralee, part of that remit was to join to the N69, the dual carriageway couldn't be accommodated down into Forge cross because of space and housing issues, so there was no other choice but to run it up that far to Leith to clear Alderwood road and the housing in that area.
    National Traffic will always take priority over Local.
    The Tralee to Abbeydorney road isn't a National road.
    The long term plan for the town is to complete a ring road from Forge cross over to the Braker o Regan road, but this will have to be funded locally.
    In time everything will be all joined up, once there is a few euro saved up in the Piggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Morebypasses

As we have previously covered here more than once, the new Bypass was NRA funded and designed to link the National roads around Tralee, part of that remit was to join to the N69, the dual carriageway couldn't be accommodated down into Forge cross because of space and housing issues, so there was no other choice but to run it up that far to Leith to clear Alderwood road and the housing in that area.
    National Traffic will always take priority over Local.
    The Tralee to Abbeydorney road isn't a National road.
    The long term plan for the town is to complete a ring road from Forge cross over to the Braker o Regan road, but this will have to be funded locally.
    In time everything will be all joined up, once there is a few euro saved up in the Piggy.

Thanks for your reply. If this is the case then it’s another example of what is wrong with this country. Common sense goes out the window I reckon when the NRA sit down to plan these roads. There was “another choice”.Postpone that section of the road until funds become available and use the money saved to build more urgent “national” roads. Adare bypass being one. Macroom bypass another. Both would benefit the entire county and not just Tralee. I would love to have a dual carriage way from the Castlemaine Road to Blennerville, on to Caherslee, on to Ballybeggan and back to the Castlemaine Road but in times when money is scarce Ithink it (be NRA of Kerry Co Co or any other public body who is spending it)should be spent prudently.

From the National Roads Authority website..
    The National Roads Authority (NRA) was formally established as an independent statutory body under the Roads Act, 1993 with effect from 1 January, 1994.

The Authority's primary function, under the Roads Act 1993, is to secure the provision of a safe and efficient network of National roads. For this purpose, it has overall responsibility for the planning, supervision of construction, road network management and maintenance on National roads.

Responsibilities of the Authority

The NRA has a number of specific functions under the Act, including:

• Preparing, or arranging for the preparation of road designs, management and maintenance programmes and schemes for the provision of traffic signs and Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS) on national roads;
    • Securing the carrying out of the management of construction, improvement and maintenance works on national roads;
    • Allocating and paying grants for national roads, and training, research or testing activities in relation to any of its functions.
    The NRA has a general power to direct the road authority to "do any other thing which arises out of or is consequential on or is necessary or expedient for the purposes of or would facilitate the construction or maintenance of a national road".

The NRA may give specific directions to local road authorities relating to a number of matters, including motorway schemes; applications for a bridge orders; acquiring land by compulsory purchaser orders; preparing Environmental Impact Statements (EIS), and entering into contracts for and/or undertaking specified construction or maintenance works

They fund the project, they cover the National roads, that's why only the national roads are connected at this stage. It wouldn't have made sense to only partially complete the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

Is this the first time there's been a new build of Type 2 DC on a national secondary route? ie. on the N69 and N70? Only one I can think of anyway! Complete technicality but you gotta love little facts like that! :)

Adro947 wrote: »
    Is this the first time there's been a new build of Type 2 DC on a national secondary route? ie. on the N69 and N70? Only one I can think of anyway! Complete technicality but you gotta love little facts like that! :)

Seems like you are right? And a very good point!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

AFAIK it's the first type 2 DC on a national secondary

I've reads a few items this week that are at odds with the consensus on here that the N86 now starts at the 'Lidl roundabout'. One is a press release on the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport website:
    In addition to bypassing Tralee, the scheme provides alternative access for N22 traffic from Cork and a full high quality linkage between the N21, N22, N69 and N70 National routes and improved access to the N86.
    Jimmy Deenihan made a similar quote on the NRA website. Also, mentioned in the Irish Times:
    It connects four of the five national routes – the N21, N22, N69, and N70 – that terminate in Tralee
    To me, these suggest that the N21 goes as far as the 'Lidl roundabout' and that the N86 and N70 start/end in Ballymullen, most likely at the 'Carlton Hotel roundabout'.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Hoof Hearted

BPKS wrote: »
    And another thing, I would be concerned that some, let me say inexperienced driver, will drive the wrong way onto the by-pass coming against the flow of traffic on the Clash exit. A woman died on the Ennis by-pass/motorway after doing something similar.

That's because for both two-way roads and dual carriage way road with both lanes going in the same direction they use the same dashed marking with the same white color. In the US and some other countries, yellow road marking delineate opposite flow traffic, and white road markings for lanes traveling in the same direction. Simple solution that works very well and maybe has saved countless lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Hoof Hearted

Regarding the north section DC being overkill, it may seem that way now, but if the economy picks up and the town was to expand, the north east area would be prime real estate transportation wise. I recall the M50 toll bridge being a big financial risk at the time, the road from nowhere to nowhere was the mantra.

But yes, the bypass routing does seem weird on a logical level. In a fully integrated approach (where often regional roads have just as high traffic counts as national roads), a bypass connecting the R558, R551, R556, N69, N21, N22, N70 cutting south of the Technology Park would have provided more overall benefit in the near term. But as any optimum routing may have involved the destruction of a few properties. (and that's a no-go politically in Tralee) While the Kerryman had no coverage of the road opening, the coverage would have gone on for months if a vocal property owner made a stink about it if a better routing option was chosen. If 60% of Tralee voting public is emotional and 40% is logical, Tralee got the bypass that 60% of people wanted in the end, be it with significantly reduced benefit compared to what it could have been.

If I'm not mistaken, there is now no easy way to integrate the existing northern ring bypasses (O'Reagan, Kileen Rd by Shanakill, Nun's wood) into new Eastern bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Does anybody know why there are not lanes painted on the roundabouts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

dmeehan wrote: »
    Does anybody know why there are not lanes painted on the roundabouts?

It gives drivers one less thing to ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

There was a Radio Kerry item (below link) about perceived poor signage on the new bypass, particularly for Killarney. I have to admit when I took my folks for a spin on the bypass, they also asked why some signs had Cork, Dingle or Killorglin but not Killarney on them. I even saw one driver joining the bypass at Leith and then dangerously stopping half on the shoulder/half on the inner lane studying a sign that did not have Killarney on it (even if a preceding sign had it). I'd easily understand tourists or any unfamiliar drivers getting confused even if they were actually going in the correct direction.

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/kerry-county-council-carrying-out-review-of-signs-on-tralee-bypass/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

The new bypass is fantastic.

A few observations , drivers in Tralee Area need lessons on how to drive on dual carriageways and roundabouts.

Perhaps a simple flyer to be handed out at filling stations may act as a reminder for drivers on how to drive on dual carriageways and roundabouts.
    It may even save lives!

Advertisement