Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The car petrol and diesel thread....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Buck Fizz

159.9 for petrol at the petrol station on the headford road in town at the bottom of the hill at the traffic lights when you're coming down from TK Maxx.

Sorry, I didn't notice what the diesel was, but I assume it's a few cent cheaper than everywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Wouldn't be going near any unbranded place myself. Rather pay the few extra cent and save my fuel pump on the process.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The Woodquay station is consistently 4c cheaper per litre for petrol than the various Topaz stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭MacGyver007

Petrol is 154.9 with diesel 151.9 in Loughrea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

This morning
    Diesel at the station near ballindooley castle on the headford road is 149.9.
    Diesel at greatgas selfservice in claregalway is 153.9.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Dj320

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Wouldn't be going near any unbranded place myself. Rather pay the few extra cent and save my fuel pump on the process.

Ya that's it tar every unbranded station with the one brush, by the way branded places can also use dodgy fuel , just to think about when "your saving your fuel pump"

Dj320 wrote: »
    Ya that's it tar every unbranded station with the one brush, by the way branded places can also use dodgy fuel , just to think about when "your saving your fuel pump"
    I didn't tar every single station because I havn't used every single unbranded station. Name me a station in Galway with a relatively big brand (Topaz, Esso, Top etc) that's been done for bad fuel or dodgy pumps. Because I can name a few unbranded ones that have been done for it if you want. Also, rule of thumb, don't buy from a station who's supplier is from Louth or Monaghan!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭antichrist

snubbleste wrote: »
    The Woodquay station is consistently 4c cheaper per litre for petrol than the various Topaz stations.

Please see my previous post regarding woodquay

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Dj320

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    I didn't tar every single station because I havn't used every single unbranded station. Name me a station in Galway with a relatively big brand (Topaz, Esso, Top etc) that's been done for bad fuel or dodgy pumps. Because I can name a few unbranded ones that have been done for it if you want. Also, rule of thumb, don't buy from a station who's supplier is from Louth or Monaghan!

I'm not from Galway so I can't comment on that, but regarding dodgy pumps, yes the "big branded " station on the quays in Dublin had the pumps altered. Regarding dodgy fuel, it's a no brainier not to buy from northern suppliers or stations who only deal in diesel, cash only etc, but big branded stations are also owned by regular people not just an oil company who could also just as easily slip in the odd load of dodgy fuel and if it does harm then it's people like yourself who automatically blame the small indie because the larger branded station "couldnt deal in dodgy fuel.
    Recently in my home town a large oil company did a lot of damage when the delivery driver accidentally filled half a compartment with petrol and half with diesel, automatically people were into my station complaining about my fuel because I'm " unbranded " and it couldnt possibly be the branded station till the larger branded station admitted what had happened so sometimes it's not the "unbranded" stations with problems. Just a few things to think about before making comments like your previous one as it's comments like you'd that damage decent unbranded station owners.

Dj320 wrote: »
    I'm not from Galway so I can't comment on that, but regarding dodgy pumps, yes the "big branded " station on the quays in Dublin had the pumps altered. Regarding dodgy fuel, it's a no brainier not to buy from northern suppliers or stations who only deal in diesel, cash only etc, but big branded stations are also owned by regular people not just an oil company who could also just as easily slip in the odd load of dodgy fuel and if it does harm then it's people like yourself who automatically blame the small indie because the larger branded station "couldnt deal in dodgy fuel.
    Recently in my home town a large oil company did a lot of damage when the delivery driver accidentally filled half a compartment with petrol and half with diesel, automatically people were into my station complaining about my fuel because I'm " unbranded " and it couldnt possibly be the branded station till the larger branded station admitted what had happened so sometimes it's not the "unbranded" stations with problems. Just a few things to think about before making comments like your previous one as it's comments like you'd that damage decent unbranded station owners.
    I agree there are circumstances that can lead to dodgy fuel that has no sinister motive. Read in the motoring forum of a guy who filled up the car, fuel pump went. Turned out he had filled just after the tanks themselves had been filled and there was a load of sediment mixed up in it. And of course there are above board unbranded dealers. But it is common knowledge (even reading back through this whole thread alone) that the vast majority of cases of dodgy fuel or pumps are from unbranded stations. It's just fact. But in a sense I'm not talking about only unbranded stations, I'm talking about generally cheap stations. The margins are so fine that you could only be suspicious of a station, branded or not, selling fuel 4 or 5c cheaper than everywhere else (unless it's self service maybe.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭MacGyver007

Petrol is 163.9, diesel 155.8 in Athenry

Observed that the forecourt at Woodquay is charging 155.9 for petrol whereas Topaz are charging 161.9

Tesco have a partnership with Sweeney Oil,
    Sweeney Oil Claregalway Road, Oranmore
    Sweeney Oil Headford Road
    so you can now use their promotion http://www.tesco.ie/petrol/

• Registered Users Posts: 24 billbee

the price of petrol in co meath is 155 and the diesel is 144.com on the royal county:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,826 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

billbee wrote: »
    the price of petrol in co meath is 155 and the diesel is 144.com on the royal county:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

those prices quoted were back in dec :D:D:D
    athenry on the other hand tends be as dear if not dearer than galway city
    amazed some are still in business

Petrol 153.9 in Woodquay

• Registered Users Posts: 45,264 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Galway fuel stations have always been pricey but the last few weeks I've been to various parts of the country and topped up the car with petrol so have really noticed the difference.

Topped up at 1.51 in Mayo, 1.50 in Dublin, 1.50 in Tullamore and 1.52 in Limerick.

Cheapest in Galway I've seen this week is 1.56. A few as high as 1.58

Now, when I see all stations citywide with almost the same inflated price compared to other counties/towns I tend to think hmmm, that's quite a big coincidence :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Not enough competition in Galway. We are definitely paying over the odds.

Apparently Applegreen are opening up on the Tuam Road in a few months time. Certainly welcome in terms of added competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

KevR wrote: »
    Not enough competition in Galway. We are definitely paying over the odds.

Apparently Applegreen are opening up on the Tuam Road in a few months time. Certainly welcome in terms of added competition.

Best news i've heard in a long time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I just heard about the Applegreen myself over the weekend, may deserve its own thread but does anyone have any more info?

Its where the Bill Cullen Renault dealership was, I'm hearing rumours of a Tesco Express or a Burger King also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Autonomous

On one opposite merlin park entrance is 1.43 but its card only...and only diesel

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

There was a court case a few years back where fuel companies were prosecuted for operating a cartel in Galway, but unfortunately things seem to have remained unchanged. Very strange when you consider fuel is imported through Galway harbour, and has to be trucked on to places like Ballina, yet Ballina is consistently 8-10c a litre cheaper. Hmmm!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Zzippy wrote: »
    There was a court case a few years back where fuel companies were prosecuted for operating a cartel in Galway, but unfortunately things seem to have remained unchanged. Very strange when you consider fuel is imported through Galway harbour, and has to be trucked on to places like Ballina, yet Ballina is consistently 8-10c a litre cheaper. Hmmm!

The stock answer to that is that Galway has higher rates rents and wages .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Can't remember the prices at the moment, but the petrol station by Ballindooly out the Headford road are usually a couple of cent cheaper than most places around. Their diesel too, although I'd be a bit warier about the quality of the diesel there. Petrol is fine though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

That argument is blown out of the water by the fact that, more often than not, fuel is available at cheaper rates in Dublin than it is in Galway.

Rent, rates and wages are higher in Dublin than in Galway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Are those enough to offset the transport costs to transport fuel by road to Ballina? And as someone else pointed out, it doesn't explain how fuel can be obtained cheaper in Dublin, where all of those costs are higher.

By the way, the latest Mayo CC commercial rates available online are for 2012 and were €68.76. Galway City Council is more up to date, and the 2014 rates are €65.46. Unless there was a big reduction in Mayo CC rates in the last two years, the higher rates argument is fallacious.

Many petrol station retail staff are young/part-time and would be expected to be on minimum wage, so I'm not sure the wages argument stacks up either.

Rents may well be higher, but is this really enough of a difference to charge 8-10 c/litre more???

• Registered Users Posts: 39 lifestyle

The topaz near the huntsman seems to be quite competitive.. I got a topaz fuel card so it knocks a few cents off per litre. The applegreen chain are very competitive and they give points on fuel purchases. Hopefully they come to galway and shake up the market abit

• Registered Users Posts: 9 hyde

Can't remember the prices at the moment, but the petrol station by Ballindooly out the Headford road are usually a couple of cent cheaper than most places around. Their diesel too, although I'd be a bit warier about the quality of the diesel there. Petrol is fine though!

Hi, Ballindooley Fuels have been 140.9 or thereabouts for Diesel for the last 2/3 months. They're the best price around that I've seen. Applegreens have been roughly 143.8 over the same time. Most others must surely be at least 145 -> 148 I think.

That said, do you mind my asking why you're wary about their diesel quality though? I've actually been wondering if I'm paying down the line in that regard, hence the question (just in case you know more on it).

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

lifestyle wrote: »
    The topaz near the huntsman seems to be quite competitive.. I got a topaz fuel card so it knocks a few cents off per litre. The applegreen chain are very competitive and they give points on fuel purchases. Hopefully they come to galway and shake up the market abit

I avoid all Topaz Stations. Denis the Malteser is the majority shareholder and he aint getting any of my money! he doesnt even pay taxes here!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Worth seeing if you're eligible for a fuel card through your insurance, company, organisation membership etc. I've a Topaz Fuel Card through Triathlon Ireland membership and get a fixed price for the week, they send out an SMS on Fridays with the incoming price so you can top up or wait for the change.

The prices this week are;
    Petrol: 152.28 cent/Litre
    Diesel: 144.40 cent/Litre

Advertisement