Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ongoing religious scandals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

Mentally ill, perhaps, but, that's still no excuse.
    No. They were not ill. They never claimed to be ill, their defence teams never claimed they were ill and no court ever conceded that they were ill.
    They were healthy adults who used their power and influence to rape children in their care - and two governments have allowed them to get away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Banbh wrote: »
    No. They were not ill. They never claimed to be ill, their defence teams never claimed they were ill and no court ever conceded that they were ill.
    They were healthy adults who used their power and influence to rape children in their care - and two governments have allowed them to get away with it.
    Eh, I'd argue that a mentally healthy adult wouldn't rape a child. They didn't though, which is your point I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

They knew damn well what they were doing.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

Unless they weren't sentient it follows that they would know what they were doing.

A normal person with a functional brain would be repulsed by the notion of having sex with children.

I'd imagine that priesthood would generally attract a disproportionately large number of assorted weirdos (for obvious reasons).

I'm saying that it is incorrect to excuse/explain the crimes of the priests on the grounds that they were 'mentally disabled' or 'mentally ill'.

I'm saying that it is incorrect to excuse/explain the crimes of the priests on the grounds that they were 'mentally disabled' or 'mentally ill'.

It doesn't excuse them, anymore than a person being a psychopath excuses them of a murder they committed.

What I'm saying that in society there will be psychopaths and paedophiles. You have to deal with them as they arise. What you don't expect to have to deal with is apparently "normal" people acting as callously as the church hierarchy did.

• Advertisement

Are you saying that the priests that committed these crimes were phychopaths or mentally ill or mentally disabled?

Are you saying that the priests that committed these crimes were phychopaths or mentally ill or mentally disabled?

Are you suggesting that paedophilia isn't a mental illness?

Although abusing children is obviously terrible, it's as a result of mentally disabled people
    I thought at first that you were just misusing the term 'mentally disabled' but obviously not. Can you give any evidence that any of the priests that were prosecuted for raping and assaulting children claimed to be mentally disabled? I

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Gbear wrote: »
    Are you suggesting that paedophilia isn't a mental illness?

Is a sexual preference a mental illness?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Is a sexual preference a mental illness?

Would you say that the woman who married the Berlin wall was mentally sound? It depends, really, on whether or not one could class paraphilias as mental illness.

Personally I'm not sure that the majority of the priests involved in child abuse were actually paedophiles. I think that paedophiles genuinely have suffered from something traumatic whereby they direct their sexual urges toward children, and I think that that could be classed as a mental illness. However, I think that for the majority of the clergy involved it was a crime of opportunity more than anything else; they wanted to have sex but were unable to approach women for fear that they would be found out, but there are those children, you could tell them to keep quiet or they'll go to hell, no-one would ever know....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

kylith wrote: »
    Would you say that the woman who married the Berlin wall was mentally sound? It depends, really, on whether or not one could class paraphilias as mental illness.

Personally I'm not sure that the majority of the priests involved in child abuse were actually paedophiles. I think that paedophiles genuinely have suffered from something traumatic whereby they direct their sexual urges toward children, and I think that that could be classed as a mental illness. However, I think that for the majority of the clergy involved it was a crime of opportunity more than anything else; they wanted to have sex but were unable to approach women for fear that they would be found out, but there are those children, you could tell them to keep quiet or they'll go to hell, no-one would ever know....

I would agree with that, well said.

I would also like to add that Priests involved in child abuse where - to my mind - getting off on power. Being able to to do what they wanted consequence free to people who couldn't defend themselves. Weather they were hetrosexual, homosexual or paedophiles is not relevent. They're sadistic and sociopathic and should be treated as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Cardinal Timothy Dolan sought to protect money from claims, struggled with Vatican to defrock abusers:

From http://www.jsonline.com/features/religion/Cardinal-Dolan-sought-to-protect-money-from-claims-struggled-with-Vatican-to-defrock-abusers-b9943953z1-213832541.html

Four years before the Archdiocese of Milwaukee filed for bankruptcy, then-Archbishop Timothy Dolan — now cardinal of New York — sought Vatican approval to move nearly $57 million in cemetery funds off the archdiocese's books and into a special trust to help protect them "from any legal claim or liability."

There's more. Never knew about laicization:
    During his tenure in Milwaukee, Dolan also pleaded repeatedly with the Vatican to "laicize," or defrock, sexually abusive priests, a process that often took years.
    Included in the documents were letters showing that the archdiocese paid abusive priests -- usually $20,000 -- to accept laicization.

So let me get this straight. Abuse a child, and instead of going straight to jail, you win $20,000?

The article is a fascinating (albeit sad) report on how abusers were shielded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

According to the documents, Dolan paid $20,000 to abusive priests who agreed not to fight their dismissal from the priesthood.
    If wonder if Irish priests were paid a similar amount to disappear off the books, where they might become an even bigger financial liability?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

kylith wrote: »

Just wondering where the line is.

So children and inanimate objects are on one side and same sex and opposite sex is on the other.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

So children and inanimate objects are on one side and same sex and opposite sex is on the other.

I would draw the line at consenting adults.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Kivaro wrote: »
    Four years before the Archdiocese of Milwaukee filed for bankruptcy, then-Archbishop Timothy Dolan — now cardinal of New York — sought Vatican approval to move nearly $57 million in cemetery funds off the archdiocese's books and into a special trust to help protect them "from any legal claim or liability."
    More on that story:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/02/us/dolan-sought-vatican-permission-to-shield-assets.html?_r=0

BTW, it's not the first time that cemetary funds have been misappropriated by the current crop of top-level catholic leaders in the US:

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/feb/09/local/la-me-church-cemetery-fund-20130210

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

It's an interesting discussion and not one I've fully formed an opinion on but I think the accepted reasoning is that being attracted to other adults, regardless of their gender, is fine because adults can give informed consent.

Being attracted to children, animals, inanimate objects, dead bodies, etc, is seen as wrong because these are people and things that are unable to give informed consent and there is a notion that part of the reason the attraction exists is because they cannot consent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

robindch wrote: »
    More on that story:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/02/us/dolan-sought-vatican-permission-to-shield-assets.html?_r=0

BTW, it's not the first time that cemetary funds have been misappropriated by the current crop of top-level catholic leaders in the US:

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/feb/09/local/la-me-church-cemetery-fund-20130210

Ah sure, the money was just resting in their account. :rolleyes:

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I would draw the line at consenting adults.

Well there's a difference to what you accept and what you're attracted to.

18 is a completely arbitrary number. A good one in my opinion, but not really based rigidly on biology.

There's nothing unhealthy about being attracted to 16+ year olds. It's just been deemed by society that people need to be protected until such a time as they can give consent.

It would've been pretty normal throughout history (or maybe you, the history buff can correct me) for girls to marry at 13/14. Although for the sake of society we now draw the line later, it's not because it's a dividing line between mental illness and not.

Being attracted to pre-pubescent children would seem to be very different though.

• Advertisement

Well there's a difference to what you accept and what you're attracted to.

18 is a completely arbitrary number. A good one in my opinion, but not really based rigidly on biology.

There's nothing unhealthy about being attracted to 16+ year olds. It's just been deemed by society that people need to be protected until such a time as they can give consent.

It would've been pretty normal throughout history (or maybe you, the history buff can correct me) for girls to marry at 13/14. Although for the sake of society we now draw the line later, it's not because it's a dividing line between mental illness and not.

Being attracted to pre-pubescent children would seem to be very different though.

Age of consent in Spain is 13. Most of Europe seems to be around the 14/15 mark - Ireland is at the 'older' end of the scale at 17 with only Malta and Turkey at 18. Yet, in Malta one can marry at 16.

Historically it was considered unseemly to have sex with a pre-puberty female but perfectly ok to marry her. No actual laws against it, it was just seen as being in poor taste.

Being attracted to some one is outside our control - but acting on that attraction is within our control.

I am in a monogamous relationship - does that mean I haven't ever been attracted to some one other than my partner? Of course not. I would, however, never act on that as I made a promise.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Being attracted to some one is outside our control - but acting on that attraction is within our control.
    Whose line was this one:

"I don't care what menus you read, so long as you eat at home".

Right. But being attracted to "children" who are in fact 16 isn't in any way abnormal. That's just good old fashion biology.

Whereas I definitely think that finding a 7 year old attractive or even being able to tolerate thinking about them in such a way and not being utterly revolted by it has to be considered a mental illness.

I don't know what that means for other, what I'm going to call "non-biologically normal" (I don't know how to say that in a way that doesn't sound like I'm judging them) sexual preferences. If someone wants to have sex with stopwatches that's up to them and it doesn't do any harm - it should probably still be considered a mental illness.

It's important that I don't shy away from asking that question of homosexuality. That's not to say it is a mental disability. But I think it's condescending and dishonest if I don't try to follow that argument to it's logical conclusion. I don't know where you draw the line but I feel like paedophilia should definitely be to one side of it and regular, garden variety(literally, in the case of some animals) homosexuality on the other.

Anyway. I raised this issue originally (and we've gotten somewhat sidetracked from that) to point out that the problem with the scandals wasn't the occurrence of paedophiles, which is just a part of society, albeit an unpleasant one, but that there was a cynical attempt to cover it up.

That there were paedophiles in the church is almost incidental. It was being so callous and evil as to place the reputation of the church above justice for the victims and preventing attacks from happening again, all the while claiming to be a moral authority with a direct line to the supreme, all powerful, all loving creator of the universe that's the reason why this is a scandal that damns the hierarchy of the church and not just some mentally ill people.

And with that I shall bid ye adieu!

Right. But being attracted to "children" who are in fact 16 isn't in any way abnormal. That's just good old fashion biology.

Whereas I definitely think that finding a 7 year old attractive or even being able to tolerate thinking about them in such a way and not being utterly revolted by it has to be considered a mental illness.

There are places in the world that would say the same about same-sex attraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,303 ✭✭✭✭Penn

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/paedophile-priest-told-boy-7-he-could-get-dead-grandfather-into-heaven-if-he-performed-sex-act-29389769.html
    A paedophile priest told a distraught seven-year-old boy that he could get his dead grandfather into heaven if he performed a sex act on him, a court has heard.

Belfast Crown Court heard that the boy was quite distressed about his grandfather being in purgatory but that 55-year-old James Martin Donaghy told the child "he could get him into haven if he helped him" and performed a sex act.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Penn wrote: »

I am not usually in favour of the death penalty, but there are some people for whom I would make a slow, agonising, exception.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

robindch wrote: »
    "I don't care what menus you read, so long as you eat at home".

Or, just because I'm on a diet, doesn't mean I can't look at the menu. ;)

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Or, just because I'm on a diet, doesn't mean I can't look at the menu. ;)

Or in my case I look at the prices on the menu and say feck that, I can make that better and cheaper at home. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Or in my case I look at the prices on the menu and say feck that, I can make that better and cheaper at home. :D

"Hey OH, I decided to come home to you because you're cheap... why are you hitting me"

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    "Hey OH, I decided to come home to you because you're cheap... why are you hitting me"

Yeeehhhh...I may be a bit crap with the ol romance lark....

But c'mon - 'let's go home, I'll make dinner and dessert, there's a few bottle of ale in the fridge and you know how you like Westerns? Meet Deadwood' sounds bloody great to me.....

Advertisement