Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Leap" into the unknown: The feedback thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

lxflyer wrote: »
    Ticket Fare
    Leap Card / Iarnrod Eireann Smart Card €4.35
    Adult Single €5.20
    Adult Day Return €9.60
    Adult 7 Day Rolling Rail €37.00
    Adult 3 Day Rolling Rail €21.60

Monthly Short Hop Rail Only €122
    Annual Short Hop Rail Only €1,220

The last two tickets are available through the taxsaver scheme at www.taxsaver.ie if your employer participates whereby you can save tax and PRSI.

can you buy a monthly ticket if your employer doesn't participate under taxsaver?

are the above prices the prices generally speaking before taking into account the leap card?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 17,551 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The LEAP fare is the first one quoted - it only copes with single rail fares.

All of the others are the face values of the ticket.

You can of course buy monthly/annual tickets as normal, but under the taxsaver scheme they will be significantly cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

i found it useless, I gave away my ticket.

efb wrote: »
    i found it useless, I gave away my ticket.

That of course depends on what you were using it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

lxflyer wrote: »
    That of course depends on what you were using it for.

well i'm living in Greystones working in the city centre monday to friday.

If its €4.35 each way 5 days a week, then thats €43.50 per week.

Does this mean the adult rolling ticket of €37.00 would be better value for me?

seems cheaper than the leap card

• Advertisement

Jayob10 wrote: »
    well i'm living in Greystones working in the city centre monday to friday.

If its €4.35 each way 5 days a week, then thats €43.50 per week.

Does this mean the adult rolling ticket of €37.00 would be better value for me?

seems cheaper than the leap card

My comment in the post above was aimed at the other poster!!!!

But, to answer your question, well as far as I know, €37 is cheaper than €43.50 - yes!! ;)

The monthly ticket at €122 will of course offer an even better daily rate, plus it and the weekly ticket are valid at weekends too.

LEAP is aimed at occasional users of public transport, not people who are using it 5 or more days a week.

Those users should be going for the weekly/monthly/annual options.

As another option, Dublin Bus route 84X also operates between Greystones and the City Centre.

Tickets valid on that service (and which include all other Dublin Bus services) include:

Rambler 5 Day Adult €25.00
    Valid for unlimited travel for 5 non-consecutive days

Rambler 30 Day Adult €125.00
    Valid for unlimited travel for 30 non-consecutive days

Travelwide Adult Monthly €112.00
    Valid for unlimited travel for 1 calendar month

Travelwide Adult Annual €1,120.00
    Valid for unlimited travel for 12 consecutive months

Combined Bus/Rail Ticket options:
    Adult 7 Day Short Hop €39.50
    Valid for unlimited travel for 7 consecutive days

Adult Monthly Short Hop €142.00
    Valid for unlimited travel for 1 calendar month

Adult Annual Short Hop €1,420.00
    Valid for unlimited travel for 12 consecutive months

I was on a 130 earlier, AV232 to be exact, which had a Leap card advert downstairs that says "Touch off when you get off" and "Touch off or you pay the maximum fare." Does this mean that you can now tag on/tag off on buses?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Karsini wrote: »
    I was on a 130 earlier, AV232 to be exact, which had a Leap card advert downstairs that says "Touch off when you get off" and "Touch off or you pay the maximum fare." Does this mean that you can now tag on/tag off on buses?

Crikey!

I'd suggest it's a case of mistaken mode identity,with some enterprising Bill Sticker sticking a Luas bill on a bus interior......?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Crikey!

I'd suggest it's a case of mistaken mode identity,with some enterprising Bill Sticker sticking a Luas bill on a bus interior......?

I suspected that myself but I wondered if it was even possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

That's a little worrying. You'll have people paying e4.90 for a relatively short trip if people pay heed to that sign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

An advert for Luas capping I take it? ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I suspected that myself but I wondered if it was even possible?

Only if the validators are able to auto update for stages, or have some way of knowing where they are. Until then, there's going to be no point in using'em in such a way.

Only if the validators are able to auto update for stages, or have some way of knowing where they are. Until then, there's going to be no point in using'em in such a way.

Nah, sorry, should have been clearer. I meant if it was even possible for someone to put a Luas advert in a bus. They would have had to bring it to Clontarf garage surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,262 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Irish Rail organised for the posters to be put up on Irish Rail trains only. The postering company is shared across CIÉ so they put the left-overs on Dublin Bus.

They were told to take them down this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Victor wrote: »
    Irish Rail organised for the posters to be put up on Irish Rail trains only. The postering company is shared across CIÉ so they put the left-overs on Dublin Bus.

They were told to take them down this morning.
    That is laughable, really unbelievable stuff from the supposed intelligent people who are employed within the CIE group.

have the services of this postering company been dispensed with? will they or have they already been paid for putting the wrong posters onto the buses affected?

foggy_lad wrote: »
    That is laughable, really unbelievable stuff from the supposed intelligent people who are employed within the CIE group.
    Private advertising contractor, who seems to have exceeded the instructions they received.
    have the services of this postering company been dispensed with?
    I doubt it.
    will they or have they already been paid for putting the wrong posters onto the buses affected?
    I imagine they are working on a fixed fee, something like "Here's €X to put up Y posters, we have given you Y+5% posters in case there are any problems."

Private advertising contractor, who seems to have exceeded the instructions they received.

If,however the Adverts concerned were LeapCard rather than CIE group specific,then it may well be the NTA's advertising agency that was involved.....although,to judge by Leapcard's performance thus far,it may well be some lad with a printer in his garden shed....:rolleyes:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

AlekSmart wrote: »

If,however the Adverts concerned were LeapCard rather than CIE group specific,then it may well be the NTA's advertising agency that was involved.....although,to judge by Leapcard's performance thus far,it may well be some lad with a printer has n shed....:rolleyes:

Would more likely be an Irish rail reaction to the 7500 refunds they had to handle last year. That is if they are going on the basis of those refunds being due to people not knowing how to use the card within Irish rail as opposed to being unable to tag off. the later has occurred to me on a number of occasions. They must take us for fools...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

just got this in email.. Does not look like you can use credit cards though. only bank account..

i dont like the bit about blocking the Leapcard if direct debit fails. why not just enable it for credit cards as well..

We'd like to invite you to sign up for our Leap Card Auto Top-Up trial.
    Auto Top-Up is the easiest way to Top-Up your Leap Card. Auto Top-Up makes sure you never run out of Travel Credit by automatically topping up your Leap Card with funds from your bank account, whenever your Travel Credit balance falls below €10. You can choose to Auto Top-Up by €30.00, €40.00 or €50.00.
    The trial is open to the first 200 people who choose to sign-up at www.leapcard.ie between 12 noon to 2pm and 7pm to 9pm on Wednesday and Thursday the 30th and 31st of January.
    To take part in the trial, just follow these steps;
    1. Register your Leap Card (If you’ve already registered skip this step);
    2. Sign in to your online account between the following times:
     Wednesday 30th January 12:00 to 14:00
     Wednesday 30th January 19:00 to 21:00
     Thursday 31st January 12:00 to 14:00
     Thursday 31st January 19:00 to 21:00

3. Click “Manage Auto Top-Up” which will be under the “My Leap Cards” tab while the sign-up period is open;
    4. Fill in the online form;
     Select the amount you wish to Auto Top-Up by;
     Provide your bank account details;
    Your bank account must be a Republic of Ireland account where only one signatory is required, and the bank account must accept Direct Debit.
    5. After three days you will be able to activate Auto Top-Up by simply using your card as normal on any Dublin Bus or Luas service. Please note, for the trial you will not be able to activate Auto Top-Up on DART or Commuter Rail services.
    6. Once activated, your Leap Card will then Top-Up automatically when you travel on Dublin Bus, Luas, DART and Commuter Rail services.
    Important Note: You will need to ensure you have sufficient funds in your bank account at all times. If you receive an Auto Top-Up but the direct debit fails to collect the funds from your bank account, your Leap Card will automatically be blocked.
    Yours sincerely
    Leap Card Customer Care

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Signed up . I'm always forgetting to top up and then left digging for coins in the morning .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Thanks Seaswimmer, signed up.

Been waiting for this a long time, adding credit to Leap is a pain.

Great that once activated, it will work across DB, Luas and IR.

A couple of constructive criticisms:

- €30, 40 or 50 are quiet high amounts, it will mean you will almost always have minimum €40 on your card! I think a €15 and €20 option would be better minimums.

- Pity it can't be activated on IR, but not a major issue.

- The Leap Card website is very confusing. A complete jumbled mess where it is hard to find anything. It does work, but it looks like a typical, badly designed government website, rather then a nicely designed consumer focused website. It is far too busy, too much info just dumped there with little thought on how people will actually use the website and why they might normally come to the site.

They badly need to contract in a user experience expert and decent web developer to re-organise and redesign the site.

Amsterdams OV Card website is a very good looking site:

http://www.ov-chipkaart.nl/

Very nice and modern looking, the main things people might come to use on this site are clearly displayed: "Transaction Overview", "Credit" (add credit), "Forget to check-out (refund)", "Automatic Reload" all along the bottom. "Apply", "Load", Travel", "Customer Service" along the top. All much more user friendly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    We'd like to invite you to sign up for our Leap Card Auto Top-Up trial.
    Auto Top-Up is the easiest way to Top-Up your Leap Card. Auto Top-Up makes sure you never run out of Travel Credit by automatically topping up your Leap Card with funds from your bank account, whenever your Travel Credit balance falls below €10. You can choose to Auto Top-Up by €30.00, €40.00 or €50.00.

The trial is open to the first 200 people who choose to sign-up at www.leapcard.ie between 12 noon to 2pm and 7pm to 9pm on Wednesday and Thursday the 30th and 31st of January.
    To take part in the trial, just follow these steps;
    1. Register your Leap Card (If you’ve already registered skip this step);
    2. Sign in to your online account between the following times:
     Wednesday 30th January 12:00 to 14:00
     Wednesday 30th January 19:00 to 21:00
     Thursday 31st January 12:00 to 14:00
     Thursday 31st January 19:00 to 21:00

3. Click “Manage Auto Top-Up” which will be under the “My Leap Cards” tab while the sign-up period is open;
    4. Fill in the online form;
     Select the amount you wish to Auto Top-Up by;
     Provide your bank account details;
    Your bank account must be a Republic of Ireland account where only one signatory is required, and the bank account must accept Direct Debit.
    5. After three days you will be able to activate Auto Top-Up by simply using your card as normal on any Dublin Bus or Luas service. Please note, for the trial you will not be able to activate Auto Top-Up on DART or Commuter Rail services.

6. Once activated, your Leap Card will then Top-Up automatically when you travel on Dublin Bus, Luas, DART and Commuter Rail services.
    Important Note: You will need to ensure you have sufficient funds in your bank account at all times. If you receive an Auto Top-Up but the direct debit fails to collect the funds from your bank account, your Leap Card will automatically be blocked.
    Yours sincerely
    Leap Card Customer Care
    Jesus! if you ever had doubts about Leap card this pile of bureaucratic shoite would surely put you off the idea!

They are inviting people to take part while making it very hard to sign up! Laurel and Hardy and the Three Stooges never did comedy this good!

Also worth noting is that you cant change the amount of the top-up.

They are inviting people to take part while making it very hard to sign up!
    It's a limited trial to see if it works and to get feedback from ordinary users. It isn't 'public' (well, I suppose it is now :)).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Jesus! if you ever had doubts about Leap card this pile of bureaucratic shoite would surely put you off the idea!

They are inviting people to take part while making it very hard to sign up! Laurel and Hardy and the Three Stooges never did comedy this good!

Also worth noting is that you cant change the amount of the top-up.

What's so hard about it? Have you tried or is it just another of your "Just having a go for no apparent reason " moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Got that email too. First thought was €30 is too high. €20 would be better. Also, I'd much rather an option to use a credit/debit card than a bank account.

ethernet wrote: »
    Got that email too. First thought was €30 is too high. €20 would be better. Also, I'd much rather an option to use a credit/debit card than a bank account.
    I think €20 might be a little on the low side - potentially you could spend that is a few days and there would be an overlap in the payments.

The problem with credit cards is that the credit card companies would be taking a percentage on top of the transaction fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Would more likely be an Irish rail reaction to the 7500 refunds they had to handle last year. That is if they are going on the basis of those refunds being due to people not knowing how to use the card within Irish rail as opposed to being unable to tag off. the later has occurred to me on a number of occasions. They must take us for fools...

To be fair, some are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I think €20 might be a little on the low side - potentially you could spend that is a few days and there would be an overlap in the payments.

Leap is being marketed at the "occasional" user, so I'd imagine 20 euro would stretch a good bit for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭lil5

...The problem with credit cards is that the credit card companies would be taking a percentage on top of the transaction fee.

I sure hope that the restriction to direct debit is only for the trial period and it is extended to debit and credit cards in the future.

After following the thread below I'd certainly be reluctant to sign up for any direct debit - and most definetly wouldn't sign up for a direct debit with Leap.

Problems with DD -
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056610428

• Advertisement

lil5 wrote: »
    I sure hope that the restriction to direct debit is only for the trial period and it is extended to debit and credit cards in the future.

After following the thread below I'd certainly be reluctant to sign up for any direct debit - and most definetly wouldn't sign up for a direct debit with Leap.

Problems with DD -
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056610428

The Auto Top-Up element of Leapcard has always been there,just not activated until now.

I have always felt the conditions relating to it were somewhat draconian and not conducive to encouraging any switchover from cash or new users to the brand.

https://www.leapcard.ie/PageSetting/ContentViewer.aspx?Val=CG%2fCj953WkPB%2b7fwjkLFshsyP7wecX6fiV0VBn3Q632F20yhboVXGTVmv%2b2bImvcFvyDWv8wk%2bd4E5kAGPCvjpJvBUgOhvVEg%2fB6ZgVyLiI6nLqx13jMpsQIKgDUASmGM793kdSI9FJOtf2oYKBBrP3uRbgVAG0ZGo31awr2Vmg%3d

The details were/are buried deep within the Leapcard website and are very detailed as to the consequences of DD problems.
    3.4 Auto Top-Up - Coming Soon

(a) The terms and conditions in this section 3.4 shall be binding on any Leap Card customer who avails of the Auto Top-Up facility (when introduced).

(b) Registered and Personalised Leap Card customers can apply for the Auto Top-Up facility by completing the Online application form available at www.leapcard.ie. As part of the application process the Leap Card customer must nominate a bank account with an accepted payment source (as per sub-section (h) below) from which Auto Top-Ups can be debited (the “Account”).

(c) The Leap Card customer is responsible for ensuring that the Account information is accurate and up to date and that his/her Account is at all times valid and contains sufficient funds or credit in order to meet deductions by the Authority in accordance with these Terms and Conditions. Leap Card customers can request to disable their Auto Top-Up Online at www.leapcard.ie. Leap Card customers shall disable their Auto Top-Up facility immediately in the event of any closure or termination of the Account.

(d) The Authority will set a minimum Travel Credit balance (the “threshold”) from time to time. With Auto Top-Up, when a Leap Card customer’s Travel Credit balance falls below the threshold, the Leap Card will be automatically reloaded with Leap Card customer’s pre-selected reload value (the “reload value”), and simultaneously an instruction will automatically be sent to debit the reload value from the Account. The initial threshold is set at €10.00

(e) During the application for Auto Top-Up, Leap Card customers may designate a reload value (e.g. €30.00, €40.00 or €50.00).The Leap Card customer may not change the reload value once Auto Top-Up has been enabled.

(f) Notwithstanding anything to the contrary herein contained, the Leap Card customer agrees that a minimum period of 5 days must elapse between each Auto Top-Up. The Authority shall not be obliged to top-up an Auto Top-Up enabled Leap Card until after the Leap Card customer’s Account has been successfully debited for any previous Auto Top-Ups.

(g) Receipt of top-up on your Leap Card shall constitute notification that a direct debit for the amount of the top-up will be presented to your Account. The direct debit will be presented on the next business day after we receive notification of the top-up. The Leap Card customer’s Online account will display details of the Auto Top-Up amounts that the Leap Card customer has received. In addition the last six transactions performed on the Leap Card can also be viewed on Luas and Irish Rail ticket machines.

(h) Auto Top-Up may only be paid for via direct debit payments using the Leap Card customer’s designated current account in a Republic of Ireland Bank; Credit/Debit card payments will not be accepted as a payment method for Auto Top-Up.

(i) Leap Card customers may cancel their Auto Top-Up facility Online at any time. The cancellation request only becomes effective when configured on to the Leap Card. Until the Leap Card is configured, the Auto Top-Up remains in place and the customer will still be liable for any Auto Top-Up prior to the cancellation taking effect. The Authority will endeavour to ensure that the cancellation request will be available for configuration on to the Leap Card as soon as possible; however, it cannot guarantee that the request will be available sooner than 36 hours after cancellation.

(j) If an Auto Top-Up enabled Leap Card is lost or stolen the customer must inform the Customer Care Line as soon as possible to request cancellation of their card. The cancellation request only becomes effective when configured on to the Leap Card. Until the Leap Card is configured, the Auto Top-Up facility remains in place and the customer will still be responsible for any Auto Top-Up triggered prior to the cancellation taking effect. The Authority will endeavour to ensure that any Travel Credit, including any Auto Top-Up credit on the Auto Top-Up enabled Leap Card, is transferred to a replacement card.

(k) If an Auto Top-Up instruction for a Leap Card is rejected by a Leap Card customer’s financial institution, the Authority reserves the right to do any or all of the following without advance notification:

i.Cancel the Leap Card.

ii.Suspend the use of the Leap Card for such period as may be determined by the Authority.

iii.Recover from the Leap Card customer the amount of any rejected transaction plus all costs incurred (including legal costs on a full indemnity basis) by the Authority for the recovery of any such amounts.

iv.Withdraw the Auto Top-Up facility from the Leap Card customer.

v.Disqualify the Leap Card customer from applying for any new Auto Top-Up facility for such length of time as may be determined to be appropriate by the Authority.

vi.Deduct or set-off any monies owing to the Authority from the remaining value and any Deposit in respect of the Leap Card.

(l) The Authority reserves the right to withdraw the Auto Top-Up facility for all Leap Card customers at its discretion or modify either the reload value or the threshold value from time to time.

My biggest issue is with (e) as I believe the top-up amount is way too high for the itinerant Leapcard user,particularly in these recessionary times,although it would give Leapcard itself a rather substantial cash-in-hand situation ?

Plus,the locking-in of the Top-Up amount appears to reduce the flexibility of the Leapcard product in a way that flies counter to the entire overview of an Integrated Ticket ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement