Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why would an Irish person wear a poppy ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Japer wrote: »
    Well said. Something like a third of the British administration in India was composed of Irish people, so we can hold our heads high in the knowledge we helped bring the British system of law and order, education, railways, engineering etc to the sub-continent.

The "British system of law" in india often seemed to take one form for the natives and quite another for the Brits.

...the fact that Irish people took part in a criminal enterprise is nothing to be proud of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Would I wear one? not for any reason other than I thought it might look nice on my lapel. Or my hat, or shawl or whatever.

If I had relatives who fought and dies in WW1 then perhaps I would out of respect also, but I don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Aodh Rua wrote: »

Are you really trying to contend that wearing the Royal British Legion's red poppy means you commemorate all those who died in war, including Russian soldiers, IRA volunteers, ANC activists, Mau Mau insurgents, German soldiers...?

If you really believe that, then you're wearing the wrong symbol because the RBL's red poppy specifically only commemorates those who fought for the British Empire/Commonwealth/state. Why are you trying to portray it as an inclusive commemoration of all victims of war, when even the RBL which produces the red poppy explicitly only commemorates the dead on the British (and not even the Allied - Russians are excluded) side?

I remember the dead at war and it's futility at this time of year. Many including the CofE see it for this purpose from past experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,970 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I would wear a poppy if I could find one. That's the only reason I haven't in previous years. Can they be found in Dublin, or do I have to jump on the train to Belfast?

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

bnt wrote: »
    I would wear a poppy if I could find one. That's the only reason I haven't in previous years. Can they be found in Dublin, or do I have to jump on the train to Belfast?

You'll find one at the local Orange hall.
    Thousands of Irish died in WW1 and WW2. They should be Remembered irregardless of the likes of you.

As for all this British Occupation Bull****..........Frankly people need to get over it.

The topic is about the poppy and the objection to its purchase from the RBL whose funds go to British soldiers who murdered Irish unarmed civilians in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Thousands of Irish died in WW1 and WW2. They should be Remembered irregardless of the likes of you.

As for all this British Occupation Bull****..........Frankly people need to get over it.

Do you see the contradiction in your post?

Does a poppy commemorate the many Irishmen who were in the British Army who were shot dead by the British Army for being deserters?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

What a bizarre question. The answer is no by the way.

What a strange angle you've come at this from.

If someone attacks your children do you have the right to defend them?

Also, do/would you wear a poppy?

well, they were targets from the seventies to the nineties....

targeted by irishmen.......as every child in the uk and northern ireland was.....

i have no problem wearing a poppy.......yes, i do contribute to the appeal...

and will always contribute to it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Does a poppy commemorate the many Irishmen who were in the British Army who were shot dead by the British Army for being deserters?

All those executed (not just Irishmen) have received pardons and are (I believe) recorded as casualties of the war, so yes, it remembers them as well.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

You can get them at your local CofI church bnt or direct from the RBL.

well, they were targets from the seventies to the nineties....

targeted by irishmen.......as every child in the uk and northern ireland was.....

i have no problem wearing a poppy.......yes, i do contribute to the appeal...

and will always contribute to it....

But you've no problem giving money to the child killers in the British Army?

I pity the poor beggars on the streets of England rattling their cans trying to get a few pennies from the folk passing them by. These people have 'given so much to Britain' but seem to be ignored by the British Govt and are forced to beg.

All those executed (not just Irishmen) have received pardons and are (I believe) recorded as casualties of the war, so yes, it remembers them as well.

'Casualties of war' - murder has never sounded so nice.

Kingsmill.

What? Kingsmill bread? Recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

If that was the yardstick neither side of the Northern conflict would get anything.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

They got pardons? That's great I'm sure they are all delighted with that... oh, wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Yawn. Troll elsewhere.

Well in defence of Iwasfrozen, the concept of Ireland being a colony/former colony is only a recent concept (hard to beleve now), maybe even as recent as since the 1998 Good Friday Agreement, which unleashed all kinds of new terms & ideas/understandings as to who we are/were and where we are going. To Unionists the 'colony' term holds little weight. Reason: because we are not part of another continent, we are joined at the hip literlly, geographically, culturally and in many other ways to the neighbouring island GB. To finish, I guess it all depends on what you want to project about your past. A long suffering 'Colony' - or one part of a small group of islands who have had their family squabbles down through the centuries, Big Brother (GB) being the powerhouse of the world for much of that time, with Ireland being the smaller less powerful island heavily involved in that relationship. This is not to say that GB parliaments have not mistreated Ireland, but just that we the people of Ireland & Britain are so intertwined as two islands in (a group of islands together) on the periphery of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

personally I have no problem with anyone wearing a poppy, whatever floats one's boat.

What annoys me is that in recent years anyone working on English TV is expected to wear one, no matter what your nationality is. I wonder if a guest presenter/analyst etc didn't wear one, would it affect their chances of future jobs.

Its become a joke at this stage, with soccer teams having them emblazoned on their jerseys. More a fashion statement than anything now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Well said Hidalgo, that's exactly the point I was making way back in post#331.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81508349&postcount=331

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Japer

hey deserve commemoration due to some tribal/ethnic characteristic?
    Actually no. The charity does not discriminate on terms of "tribal/ ethnic charactieristic " as you call it, or on grounds of race, religion, gender or sexuality.Hundreds of thousands of Irish people volunteered for the UK armed services during their lives, and millions from commonwealth nations. None of the Irish people I ever heard of / talked to said they were descriminated against by the forces, or were treated unfairly. All deserve our respect and we should remember their fallen comrades, so the likes of you can live in peace and freedom. If nobody done the dirty work / stood up for defence of these islands, you would be speaking Spanish, German or Russian by now. If you lived during the Spanish inquisition, were one of the many millions murdered by the Nazis or in a Russian gulag, you would realise how lucky we were / are.

I don't wear one and don't intend on doing so anytime soon, but can anyone clear up the following.

Does money raised go to soldiers who lost their lives in WWI onwards or also to those who died in conflicts such as Egypt, India, Meopotamia, Ireland etc etc.

Many of those who were stationed in these regions were ex-service men from WWI but were then taking part in the type of actions that Britain railed against especially in WWII.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

eh,bit presumptuous calling the british army the only child killers.

Japer wrote: »
    Actually no. The charity does not discriminate on terms of "tribal/ ethnic charactieristic " as you call it, or on grounds of race, religion, gender or sexuality.Hundreds of thousands of Irish people volunteered for the UK armed services during their lives, and millions from commonwealth nations. None of the Irish people I ever heard of / talked to said they were descriminated against by the forces, or were treated unfairly. All deserve our respect and we should remember their fallen comrades, so the likes of you can live in peace and freedom. If nobody done the dirty work / stood up for defence of these islands, you would be speaking Spanish, German or Russian by now. If you lived during the Spanish inquisition, were one of the many millions murdered by the Nazis or in a Russian gulag, you would realise how lucky we were / are.

Then again, is speaking English any different than speaking Spanish. Should Ireland bow down and say thanks sir to England for taking over this island for hundreds of years. When you mention 'dirty work' do you include British involvement in WWI.

Finally, comparing the Spanish Inquisition to acts committed by the Nazis or Russian gulags is farcical at best. Many towns in Spain saw an inquisitor once a generation or so, the same cannot be said of your other examples. The oppression during the Spanish Inquisition was very similar to what went on during the same period in other European kingdoms.

pmcmahon wrote: »
    eh,bit presumptuous calling the british army the only child killers.

True, then why fund the BA soldiers who murdered those kids through your purchase of a poppy?
    You're not being asked to fund retired IRA child killers, are not all children who are murdered equal victims?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

'Casualties of war' - murder has never sounded so nice.

You're not really I'm a position to judge to be honest, not when you give yourself the user name of a prominent member of an organisation who's strategy was to target civilians and carried out more than their fair share of murder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

gurramok wrote: »
    You'll find one at the local Orange hall.

The topic is about the poppy and the objection to its purchase from the RBL whose funds go to British soldiers who murdered Irish unarmed civilians in NI.

Well I'll be wearing one and buying it, as I do every year, in rebel Enniscorthy outside a local supermarket. I consider myself very lucky to have grown up in the first generation of my family for many years not to have had to join the forces - thanks to the sacrifices made by millions of others. Some posters in this thread really need to grow-up, same old ****e every November, nobody's forcing you to wear a poppy.

• Advertisement

Well I'll be wearing one and buying it, as I do every year, in rebel Enniscorthy outside a local supermarket. I consider myself very lucky to have grown up in the first generation of my family for many years not to have had to join the forces - thanks to the sacrifices made by millions of others. Some posters in this thread really need to grow-up, same old ****e every November, nobody's forcing you to wear a poppy.

Of course you would wear it and label objectors "to grow up". You're a self proclaimed Unionist. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80553785&postcount=24 A pity you did not declare your background to others in this thread. By the way, i'm Nationalist.

Advertisement