Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joining the British Army

Options
  • 17-10-2011 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hey!

I've been looking at joining the British Army, though I'm not really sure on the joining process. I'm in Dublin and planning to pop up to the Careers Office in Belfast in a few weeks when I have some time but it would be nice if I could get some questions answered.

Regarding the regiments, do you just apply to whatever regiment you want to join and they deal with you or universal thing where you just apply to join the army, go through the process and then join some unit?

What are the steps involved in joining up. I go up to the Careers Office and then what happens?

That's all I really want to know right now but I'm sure I'll have loads more soon biggrin.gif.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

First, ring them to arrange a meeting.

Before you attend the meeting, look at armyjobs website. You pick a job, not a regiment. If you join a combat role (such as tanker, infantryman, gunner) then you pick a regiment. Have an idea of what job you'd like, and let them guide the rest of the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

You'd be better off ringing them or sending an email before hand.

Also check out the army website to look at all the jobs available. Im presuming that you've lived all your life in Ireland so just keep in mind that any jobs in the Royal Signals, intelligence, army air corps and a few REME jobs aren't available to anyone who hasnt lived in the UK for 5 years as they require security clearance.

There are also recruitment offices in Portadown and Enniskillen if you'd find those easier to travel to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Smiley Dave

Thanks for the help!

I rang them earlier today around 4pm but didn't get any answer so I've sent an email off. I'll probably try ring again tomorrow though as well.

I've had a look at the different jobs and the combat roles seem to be interesting me more.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

Id recommend REME or RLC to you both get attached to front line unints but a much greater range of trades and posting opportunities and better pay as well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Thanks for the help!

I rang them earlier today around 4pm but didn't get any answer so I've sent an email off. I'll probably try ring again tomorrow though as well.

I got an email reply back fairly sharp (i.e. next morning) on a query of interest; but admittedly mine was towards a specific teeth-arms unit recruitment staff sergeant directly, not a general recruitment contact.

They should get back to you pretty quickly though. Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Also one more bit of advice. Make sure the job and regiment is the one that you want. Some recruiters will try and nudge you towards their regiment or corps.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 alex18

Regarding the regiments, do you just apply to whatever regiment you want to join and they deal with you or universal thing where you just apply to join the army, go through the process and then join some unit?

What are the steps involved in joining up. I go up to the Careers Office and then what happens?
    First of all, have a look at this website:
    http://www.army.mod.uk/rolefinder
    Have a good look at all the jobs on offer to you so that you don't walk through the recruiting office door 'blind'.

When you do get to the careers office you will have an 'Initial Interview'. In this the recruiter will ask you basic questions about who you are, why you want to join and what job you want to do.

After this you will be asked to come back in about a week to take the BARB (British Army Recruit Battery) test and basic literacy and numeracy tests. They are all done on a touch screen and are pretty simple. The BARB questions are things like, "Fred is faster than John. Who is slower?”

You will then be asked to give three 'options' that you wish to do. These can literally be anything. If you choose infantry or armoured then you need to give three regiments. I'll give a few examples to make it more clear:
    1) Infantryman, Royal Irish Regiment
    2) Infantryman, Irish Guards
    3) Infantryman, Royal Regiment of Scotland

1) Light Gunner, Royal Artillery
    2) General Fitter, Royal Engineers
    3) Tank Crewman, The Queen's Royal Hussars

Later on in the process you will be asked to confirm which of these you actually want to do, but at this stage you can give yourself the various options.

You are then be given a shed load of paperwork to complete. Part of this paperwork generally includes an optician’s sheet. For this you just need to book an appointment with an optician and get them to fill in the form.

Next you will be asked to attend one of the Army Development and Selection Centres (ADSC). This is where you have a full medical, do all the fitness tests and have an interview. In this interview you will confirm what job you want to do (provided you have met the requirements).

After passing the ADSC you will take the oath and be given a date to being basic training.

Feel free to ask any more questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭judosean2005

Perfect,i was kind of wondering the process.

Ive got my BARB test in few weeks.

Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

should all go smoothly if you do the right research and dont make it seem like you saw a recruitment advert and thought "that looks like call of duty".

If there are things you dont know then thats fine to, you dont need to know regiment history or any of that stuff (at least not before you get to your regiment) and they'll be happy to talk you through everything, professionals that they are. I've been in and out and am back in again shortly. Will have to sit out the first few years before I could leave but seeing as most of my friends are still there and some have since gone in there will be nothing to miss back here(other than the missus who will obviously be coming with me later on :D )

Other than that, think of it as a job, a tough job, that will make you a better more selfless person, but still a job. Join the Queens Royal Hussars for Irish challanger 2 tankies, join the RIR for infantry or just join anything you want because there's so many of us paddys there you'll be trying to avoid them before long to make "new" friends. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 alex18

should all go smoothly if you do the right research and dont make it seem like you saw a recruitment advert and thought "that looks like call of duty".
    You say that, but a good mate of mine got dicked to spend some time in the Liverpool AFCO and one day a young lad came in and said he wanted to join up. The lad said that he had seen an advert on the TV where some soldiers controlled a, "remote-controlled plane" with an Xbox controller and he wanted to do that job.

When asked why he wanted that job in particular the lad goes, "Well, I'm f-ing boss at HALO on me Xbox, so I'd be mega at it."

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

You'd be better off ringing them or sending an email before hand.

Also check out the army website to look at all the jobs available. Im presuming that you've lived all your life in Ireland so just keep in mind that any jobs in the Royal Signals, intelligence, army air corps and a few REME jobs aren't available to anyone who hasnt lived in the UK for 5 years as they require security clearance.

There are also recruitment offices in Portadown and Enniskillen if you'd find those easier to travel to.

The reason for this has to do with Britain's allies. The Americans and other NATO countries only want to share intelligence with NATO passport holders.

Also, practice the BARB online to the death. The higher your score, the more choice of jobs available to you.

You also have to do a pre-ADSC test now. So you'll be up to Belfast three times before you even get to consider visiting a regiment in Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 cmalone922

Can anyone tell me if i can become an raf pilot? i know people from the republic can join the raf but are they restricted to raf jobs other than a pilot/officer? any replies would be welcomed smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

cmalone922 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if i can become an raf pilot? i know people from the republic can join the raf but are they restricted to raf jobs other than a pilot/officer? any replies would be welcomed smile.gif

Yes you can

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

alex18 wrote: »
    When asked why he wanted that job in particular the lad goes, "Well, I'm f-ing boss at HALO on me Xbox, so I'd be mega at it."

This really, really amused me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 motivated1

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could tell me in detail about recruitment training specifically for the Royal Irish Regiment.
    Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭SaoriseBiker

motivated1 wrote: »
    Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could tell me in detail about recruitment training specifically for the Royal Irish Regiment.
    Thanks
    It always gets me about these Einsteins on the forum who never think of lifting the phone and asking directly instead of going to all the trouble of posting questions on an internet forum where you could get wrong or deliberately misleading information ? :) And it's not like they could search the forum to see if the question has been asked before :)

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

cmalone922 wrote: »
    Yes you can

Correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I'm aware you need to have been living in the UK for 5 years before you can join any part of the RAF, and the cut off age is like 25.

I'm 90% certain you can join the Army Air Corp as a pilot though, but that's not much good if you want to go fast jet.

do u honestly not think ive already done that? all they say is apply and come to the meeting and we will answer all ur questions for you. all i wanted to know was what the recruit training would be like, y did u even bother taking the time to reply to me? it was of no benefit to either of us.

do u honestly not think ive already done that? all they say is apply and come to the meeting and we will answer all ur questions for you. all i wanted to know was what the recruit training would be like, y did u even bother taking the time to reply to me? it was of no benefit to either of us.
    I believe you but thousands wouldn't :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭The Master of Disaster

In fairness though I can see why some people get annoyed when the same vague questions keep appearing on these forums time and again. I don't mean to single you out by any means but whether it be in relation to the BA or the Defence Forces people repeatedly ask questions that have been already answered in a different thread or can quite easily be found using Google.

That said you came here for a little bit of help so I'll try. I found a very detailed breakdown of recruit training on the official BA website detailing the exact breakdown of the course for infantry recruits, bearing in mind that training is the same for all recruits whether you're going RIR, Mercian, Rifles etc. and lasts 28 weeks (exception of Guards and Para's who do an extra two weeks ). I'm not going to copy and paste it onto here because;

1. That would be doing it for you.
    2. Posting direct links to the BA website might contravene the Forum Charter and even if it doesn't will be made out to do so by some of our favourite Forum trolls!

That said, perhaps googling the term 'Combat Infantryman's Course - Line Infantry' might yield some useful results ;)

There's also a recent documentary called Young Soldiers you might want to check out online. Four one-hour episodes that followed a number of recruits through training which is exactly what you're looking for.

true.
    ive spent the last 2 weeks trying to find information on google but cant find much. on the website all i could manage to find was the recruitment process rather than the recruit syllabus.
    thanks a million for the help, im going to watch those episodes now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 ThatGuy93

Hi Guys,

I didnt want to drag up a new thread. I'm currently just starting first year in University but its my long term goal to eventually join the BA as an officer.

I've searched the BA website but couldnt seem to find anything about the Leaving Cert entry requirements to join the BA as an officer, would greatly appreciate it if anybody could tell me the exact requirements?

Thanks alot in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

ThatGuy93 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I didnt want to drag up a new thread. I'm currently just starting first year in University but its my long term goal to eventually join the BA as an officer.

I've searched the BA website but couldnt seem to find anything about the Leaving Cert entry requirements to join the BA as an officer, would greatly appreciate it if anybody could tell me the exact requirements?

Thanks alot in advance

Convert A levels to Honours Leaving Cert. If you qualify for Uni, it should be enough. Ring the Recruiting office and get it direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

ThatGuy93 wrote: »

Thanks alot in advance

in this case you really do need to speak to an AFCO - there are two issues: firstly what are the requirements in strict administrative tems, and secondly what is the current requirement given the competition.

its worth remembering that competition for a place is fierce, and RMAS has so many decent applicants that the intakes are nominally full for the next three years - an applicant who just scraped in on the qualification requirements would have to have a stellar performance at main board to get in...

Don't shoot the messenger but - Soldiers leaving army 'three times more likely to commit suicide'

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/564164-soldiers-leaving-army-three-times-more-likely-to-commit-suicide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

From your link
    Overall the suicide rate among ex-military personnel was similar to that of the general population.

Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭not_a_robot

Has anyone ever heard of any girls/women from the Republic joining the BA? I'm through the last stage of the recruitment process for the Irish Defence Forces recruit competitions this year, just waiting on final word back, but I seem to find myself loitering on the BA website more and more these days.. good idea? Bad idea? Any advice/opinions would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Yes you can

Ah, please read this before you go any further...

Residency

As well as meeting nationality requirements, you must also meet certain residency criteria to be eligible to apply for a job in the RAF.
    UK Resident for a Minimum of 5-years
    If you have been resident in the United Kingdom for a minimum period of 5 years immediately prior to your application, and have not spent more than 28 days per year outside of the UK during this time, then you meet our residency criteria. You should register your interest as normal.
    If you have spent more than 28 days per year outside the UK in the last 5 years, then we will need to complete further checks on your eligibility. During the application process you will be asked to explain why you have spent over 28 days outside the UK. In the meantime, provided that you meet our other eligibility criteria, you should register your interest as normal.
    UK Resident Between 3 and 5-years
    If you have been resident in the UK for more than 3 years but less than 5 years immediately prior to making your application, and have not spent more than 28 days per year outside the UK during this period then we will need to complete further checks on your eligibility during the application process. In the meantime, provided that you meet our other eligibility criteria, you should register your interest as normal.
    UK Resident less than 3 years
    If you have been resident in the United Kingdom for less than 3 years, but fall into one of the following categories then we will need to complete further checks on your eligibility during the application process. In the meantime, you should register you interest as normal.
    • You spent time abroad for travel/ study gap year reasons.
    • You lived abroad because your parents were employed by the UK government (including HM Forces) in a foreign country.
    • You are a British citizen with at least one parent who is a British citizen and you lived with your parents abroad and you attended secondary school within the European Economic Area or a Commonwealth Country.
    If you do not fall into one of the above categories, then you are ineligible to apply to the RAF at this time.

And this -

http://www.2beapilot.co.uk/raf_pilot.htm

Clear enough?

tac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Don't shoot the messenger but - Soldiers leaving army 'three times more likely to commit suicide'

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/564164-soldiers-leaving-army-three-times-more-likely-to-commit-suicide

Well I didn't.

I don't miss it THAT much.

tac

Advertisement