Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are atheists as irratating as born again christians?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭bhamsteve

You didn't answer my question.

First it was "on par" and now it's "nearly". Why the sudden change?

In answer to question- I don't think rubbishing religion on an atheist forum is disrespectful, I do think that should be done tactfully in other areas though.

Irritability is a difficult one to quantify, born again Christians vary in annoying-ness depending on their zeal, as can atheists.

Wiggles88 wrote: »
    Its interesting that this kind of view is only applied to religious, for example if someone truly believed that Elvis was alive and well and living on mars at the very least he would be met with ridicule as most he would be given psychiatric counseling yet this is no crazier than most religious claims.

If someone has been raised from birth to believe that Elvis is alive I'd expect them to believe it, or have a hard time giving up that belief when challenged with the evidence. To ridicule them would say as much about my psychological status as theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

bhamsteve wrote: »
    I'd say you'd be right to challenge the bigot, but could just allow people their nonsensical beliefs in the knowledge that they were bought up with them, find comfort in them, are too deeply ingrained for people to want to change at their stage of life.

Pretty insulting to old people, that they can't change old beliefs.
    Would you challenge your parents or grandparents nonsensical beliefs, or just leave them to it?

I'd challenge, obviously. Like I said in the last post, what's the worst that could happen? One of us convince the other?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I don't think rubbishing religion on an atheist forum is disrespectful, I do think that should be done tactfully in other areas though.
    So -- to take one example from my own extended family -- when a relative tells me that I'm "less than human" because I don't believe that the creator of the universe manifested as a Jewish carpenter in first-century Palestine, I should sit back and say, "Hey, that's a religious belief, so I'm cool with that! Keep 'em coming!"?

Really? :confused:

What do they get? Either they successfully defend their beliefs and so they become stronger, or their beliefs are shown to be nonsense, the person abandons them for something better. Win-win, no?
    Why should we all go around trying to push our beliefs on people, whether they are religious, agnostic or whatever.

• Advertisement

robindch wrote: »
    So -- to take one example from my own extended family -- when a relative tells me that I'm "less than human" because I don't believe that the creator of the universe manifested as a Jewish carpenter in first-century Palestine, I should sit back and say, "Hey, that's a religious belief, so I'm cool with that! Keep 'em coming!"?

Really? :confused:

I'd tell them they are being an arse, change the subject or leave their company. You'd have every right to have a row with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

If someone thinks there's a man in the sky with a beard looking out for everyone, leave them to it. When it infringes on your freedoms and right to self determination, then challenge it, but tactfully, not by ridiculing.

It is not as simple as that. Let's take the example of gay marriage, which has been a hot topic around here lately. Religion is invariably the loudest and most powerful force opposing gay marriage. I would like gay marriage to be instituted. I go "hey, boyfriend, let's get married" and he goes "we're not allowed!". "Hmm" I think, "I'll talk to the government about this!" So off I go to the Dail and I talk to Enda and I says "I'd like to be able to marry the person I love like all the straight people do!" and he goes "No!" and I say "Oh, why not?" and he's all "That's the way I was raised, I'm a Catholic and I think marriage is between a man and a woman".

Understandably a little disappointed I make a few calls and manage to get enough support to get a referendum started. The referendum is all "Hey, let's let gay people get married" and the Irish public goes "No!" and I says "But why?" and they're all "We're Catholic".

The point being that while we can tackle specific problems that religion causes as they crop up, it doesn't work very well and it just keeps cropping up again and again, so some of us decided that maybe we should just generally raise the issue of religion being shitty for society and hope we can contribute to reducing it's influence to the point where they stop going "No! Because we're Catholic" every time someone wants to get married or have a divorce or drink on Good Friday or not die of AIDS in Africa. I'd love to see more "Yes! Because we're reasonable, educated individuals with respect for human rights and equal treatment in the eyes of the law for all!" and less "No, because the magic book says so, no further discussion, go to Hell faggot/heathen/brown person".

I generally oppose religious and other magical thinking when I encounter it because for every Granny enjoying her rosary there's a gay person unable to visit their partner in hospital, three Africans with AIDS, a transperson beaten to death, ten gay people mocked, ridiculed or bullied to suicide, a bomb planted in public, a town/district/country split along sectarian lines, a priest pocketing cash, a scientific budget slashed, twenty women denied access to reproductive health care and a greatly promising area of medical research inhibited or outlawed*.

Religion is really nice for some people and truly fucking terrible for civilisation, and the number one way that it maintains its ability to control the opinions of millions is by protecting itself in a shroud of "respect" and "tolerance", which is really just hegemony and conservatism.

*relative numbers may be invented

Pretty insulting to old people, that they can't change old beliefs.

I'd challenge, obviously. Like I said in the last post, what's the worst that could happen? One of us convince the other?
    Why should they want to change their beliefs? because you decide they should?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

They are deeply important to the people who hold them though.
    But why not show people a bit of respect? What do you get out of challenging peoples belief? Satisfaction? Kicks? A feeling of superiority?

Every other belief system gets challenged, so why not religion? Religious nonsense has gotten too much free rein for far too long, with some very negative consequences. A grown adult who believes in fairytales does not deserve to have those beliefs respected. I'll respect their right to hold such beliefs yes, but that's a different thing. That's called freedom of choice, something the organised religions have always been hostile to.

You're entitled to believe in those fairytales if you wish, and I'm entitled to tell you that what you believe is very silly (to put it kindly). Much of religious dogma is provably wrong and/or completely impossible, and that deserves to be challenged.

If no-one ever challenged false ideas and beliefs, and endeavoured to find out how things really are, we'd still be living in caves and worshipping the sun. That's the reality of it.

Religions have poisoned countless minds with fear and superstition, and if challenging that offends somebody then good, maybe us non-believers have been a little too nice, a little too respectful to the mullahs and the bishops and the other peddlers of dangerous, bigoted nonsense. If religious beliefs actually held any water then it wouldn't matter that we challenge them, would it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 M4TTH3W

Well they say ignorance is bliss so maybe you have a point there.

• Advertisement

[...] should be done tactfully in other areas though.
    [...] every right to have a row with them.
    I rest my case :)

robindch wrote: »
    I rest my case :)

Elaborate please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

is it just me or are strident atheists as boring, arrogant and irratating as a zealot of any religion?

Certainty of any kind is abhorrent. Even your point (and this).

Why should we all go around trying to push our beliefs on people, whether they are religious, agnostic or whatever.

Who said anything about pushing? You don't push your beliefs on others, you try to convince them of the veracity of your beliefs. And shouldn't you want to? If you really believe something important is true, then don't you want to convince others thats its true, especially if they believe something you think is wrong? If its important to you, then others acting on it in the wrong way (according to your beliefs) is going to negatively effect you. Whats the worst that could happen, you get convinced that you are wrong? Thats win-win.

They should want to change their beliefs if they were convinced they are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭doctoremma

No response to your post but great username!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭speaking

Northclare wrote: »
    I love cartoon time ;)

I dont know, I kind of get bored with the same tired cartoons being used. As an atheist I don't think I am annoying about my views on religion. (maybe from the point of view of a christian I am. I simply don't believe in God.

Now, those who organize themselves into atheist groups I have some difficulty with. However well meaning they may be, it slightly disturbs me. I cant put my finger on it.

Obviously I defend their right and understand it fully but I just don't know.

For example for all the great work work atheist Ireland do, I was disturbed to see a quasi religious symbol on their web page.
    newbanner-abstract.png

as clever an all as it is as a symbol. (and it is very clever) There is something disturbing for me about atheism group using what looks like a quasi religious symbol.

Original poster was just looking for a rise, or trolling. I am surprised so many took the bait.

Elaborate please
    You said that religious beliefs should be treated tactfully, then suggested it was ok to have a row with a religious believer over a religious belief. That's not consistent :)

Look, if religious believers kept their beliefs to themselves then (a) nobody would know about them, so nobody would laugh at them and (b) nobody would be cheesed off when religious believers went around actually putting their religious beliefs into practice.

There's an inequality here -- on the one hand, religious people usually expect to be able to proclaim their beliefs as and when they want to, but then they get upset if atheists proclaim their beliefs. Live and let live really, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

How is that a "religious" symbol? Are all symbols religious?

Also, what's wrong with people organising around an idea? Even if it's a negative idea. It's a point that comes up here the odd time and I don't yet understand it.
    speaking wrote: »
    Now, those who organize themselves into atheist groups I have some difficulty with. However well meaning they may be, it slightly disturbs me. I cant put my finger on it.

For example for all the great work work atheist Ireland do, I was disturbed to see a quasi religious symbol on their web page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I dont know, I kind of get bored with the same tired cartoons being used. As an atheist I don't think I am annoying about my views on religion. (maybe from the point of view of a christian I am. I simply don't believe in God. .

You're the guy who suggested parents should be prevented from teaching their children about religion in their homes, are you not?
    ......................just looking for a rise, or trolling. .........

Indeed, indeed.

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »
    "Excuse me sir, have you heard the bad news?"

Now that's funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,411 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

seamus wrote: »
    It's just you.

I don't know any atheists who spend their time telling people all about how there's no God.

I do, the crowd on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭gothictwilight

well personally I find die-hard atheists as almost as annoying as fiberglass underpants or when your biscuit gets too soggy and falls into your tea.
    The way they knowingly roll their eyes up to the sky and smile at all those poor deluded fools that don't share their views.
    Of course that doesn't mean all atheists are condescending, superior, know it alls.
    But their is a very vocal minority who'd I'd gladly parachute drop into Saudi Arabia with "The God Delusion" stapled onto their foreheads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I dont know, I kind of get bored with the same tired cartoons being used. As an atheist I don't think I am annoying about my views on religion. (maybe from the point of view of a christian I am. I simply don't believe in God.

Obviously I defend their right and understand it fully but I just don't know.

newbanner-abstract.png

as clever an all as it is as a symbol. (and it is very clever) There is something disturbing for me about atheism group using what looks like a quasi religious symbol.

Original poster was just looking for a rise, or trolling. I am surprised so many took the bait.

That's about as much of a religious symbol as the big red K on Kelloggs.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    That's about as much of a religious symbol as the big red K on Kelloggs.

Your probably right.

Just something that annoys me about atheist organization using symbols in the context of how religion in Ireland has used symbols in the pass. all be it in this case a symbol with such a nice sharp angular scientific forward moving vibe to it.

But then again I know I am probably talking sh1t there. What the hell do I know about marketing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

I think there are atheists out there and on here whose objective is to ridicule - they admit that religion should be "mocked, ridiculed" because it doesn't have any tangible evidence. They talk about unicorns, sky fairies, wizards, pasta etc to analogise god and show how ridiculous the idea is. I find that irritating. There's people at the end of the debate and they deserve respect.

So it's the A&A forum - are religious allowed in to debate or should they stay away. Should the forum consist of atheists talking about how stupid religious people are??

Proving a scientific theory wrong as part of progressive learning is not ridiculing it. Newton wouldn't have been humiliated if he knew that Einstein had found a better explanation for gravity. That not ridiculing it, it was searching for the scientific truth about something.

I'm an agnostic atheist myself,

There is lots of different types of religious people, from a la carte Catholics to born again christians to muslims etc. They all have different motivations and reasons for "being religious". Many people in Ireland felt oppressed by the guilt regime of the catholic church, but there are multitudes of people who don't just believe because they're made to believe or indoctrinated etc, there's lots who believe of their own free will. I think it escapes some atheists reasoning (I know it escaped mine in the past) that there's more to faith than just belief - there's a real spiritual experience that comes out of that faith. Christians who feel this genuinely feel elated and want to tell the world about it. It can be deeply important to them, do you want to ridicule that?

Who said anything about pushing? You don't push your beliefs on others, you try to convince them of the veracity of your beliefs. And shouldn't you want to? If you really believe something important is true, then don't you want to convince others thats its true, especially if they believe something you think is wrong? If its important to you, then others acting on it in the wrong way (according to your beliefs) is going to negatively effect you. Whats the worst that could happen, you get convinced that you are wrong? Thats win-win.

This to me seems to put you on a par with the born again Christian, who would use exactly the same rationale to go around irritating people by trying to convert them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Your probably right.

Just something that annoys me about atheists using symbols...........

It's a logo for a business. It's hardly an uncommon thing?

Games companies use them, cereals, alcohol, housing companies, even the State uses one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Can you give examples of the preaching atheism on par with door knocking, bible bashing Christians that you speak of?

Sociologist's knocking at doors is common enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

This to me seems to put you on a par with the born again Christian, who would use exactly the same rationale to go around irritating people by trying to convert them.

Blanked, ugh.

Advertisement