Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

lads question about the kale, would the cattle need a real sheltery type field during the worst of the weather or would they need to go back indoor occasionally? and for example what number of cattle would 20 acres of kale support and for how long?

Shelter
    Ours were ok without it last two years. BUT.. last year I fed both ends of the kale with strong weanlings left out. The other end I had later born(July born) calves and cows, they were brought in at night for about 2 weeks just before christmas when it was very wet.

I've no idea how many cows 20 acres of kale will feed. Last yr with me 20 cows with 20 calves at foot will eat about an acre a month that's with a bale of silage every second day.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

just do it wrote: »
    Smashing selection of heifers there redz. I saw the post earlier on the phone but waited till this evening to have a proper look on the big screen ;). Smartphone is great, but you need the PC for this thread!

What mix have you between home breeding and bought-in? That limestone land you have is coming into it's own this summer!

There is 14 heifers with the bull and 4 of those were bought in. All the ones that were bought were off neighbours I know well and I would know the cows they are out of so they should be ok on the milk front. I would be bulling to keep a heifer for 2 years to find out she has nothing so try to avoid gambling at the mart even if one catches my eye. We have a good bit of land heading towards lisdoonvarna, far from dry I assure you ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Similar to that there are some coastal fields close by with no shelter with a free draining sand base that cattle really thrive on when out-wintered. I'd love to have a few acres of that land or the limestone land of the Burren!

id love a few acres of free draining land :)
    far away fields always look green i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

p7140429.jpg

p7140425.jpg

A lad wouldn't mind bringing a load of cull cows to the factory like these!!
    p7140430.jpg

p7140426.jpg

p7140427.jpg

p7140438.jpg

100%Charolais ....F**K U.... belgian blue!!
    p7140436.jpg

p7140441.jpg

Just look at that back leg...you could use it as a straining post!
    p7140440.jpg

Clipping demo
    thurles2012.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Had you stock there muckit?

• Advertisement

Had you stock there muckit?

God no! I'm not in that league... yet. I was there to learn. One of the best organised, most informative farming related day outs I've been at, bar none ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

FINALLY!:D

baling.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Kovu Murr wrote: »

baling.jpg

BLUE SKY:eek:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    BLUE SKY:eek:

Occasionally......Leitrim can be nice!

erm... I think you caught the plastic bringing them in! :D

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »
    erm... I think you caught the plastic bringing them in! :D

Last years leftovers behind the rushes?:o

Last years leftovers behind the rushes?:o

Ah no! Just wondering where the plastic was on the ones left in a row! I'm sure they are wrapped by now!

Ah no! Just wondering where the plastic was on the ones left in a row! I'm sure they are wrapped by now!

Plastic netting? We use it on the chopped bales. The very last bale there got jammed with the blades so it's with string. Do you not use it:confused:

Aaaah....now I get ya! I was waiting on the wrapper when I took the pic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Muckit,out of curiousty what age was the animal being clipped? Did they give any indication of a feeding programme for pedigree bull calves? I seen the event advertised but I don't know any Ped CH breeders:mad:

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Muckit,out of curiousty what age was the animal being clipped? Did they give any indication of a feeding programme for pedigree bull calves? I seen the event advertised but I don't know any Ped CH breeders:mad:

Couldn't tell you off hand the age of that heifer. Martin Ryan gave a great talk on animal nuitrition, cows, calves, bulls etc. Sickened I couldn't wait around for the free BBQ after :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

p7140429.jpg

What price did them culls make Muckit, Bet there was a bit of excitement when they arrived into the ring, wouldn't mind a few of those for feeding myself

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

God no! I'm not in that league... yet. I was there to learn. One of the best organised, most informative farming related day outs I've been at, bar none ;)
    At the end of the day there is a reason the most popular breeds are the most popular!

Sounds like it was a good day, what tips did you pick up?

What price did them culls make Muckit, Bet there was a bit of excitement when they arrived into the ring, wouldn't mind a few of those for feeding myself

It wasn't a sale Bob, it was a Pedigree charolais demonstration day. Cows were there to compare and contrast. They were breeding cows. My point was after they'd had their day and produced some great calves, a lad wouldn't mind feeding them on and driving them up the ramp.

Just out of interest, if they were culls, do you not think they would be good enough to go to the factory as they are?

At the end of the day there is a reason the most popular breeds are the most popular!

Sounds like it was a good day, what tips did you pick up?
    • Underfeeding of protein to gestating cows is a no no. Results in difficult calvings, reduced calf vigour and increased interval to oestrus.
    • 59% of irish herds are deficient in iodine, which can be the cause of unexplained abortions.
    • Manganese deficincy can result in deformities or knuckling calves.
    • The calf's ability to absorb immunoglobulins from colostrum decreases dramatically after the first 6 hours, and almost completely after 24hrs.
    • Colostrum has 5times more protein and 10times more vitaminA than ordinary milk.
    • Beef cow beastings are more nutrient rich than a dairy cows.
    • Access to clean water, hay and a small amount of crunch is essential to develop the growing calfs rumen. Failing to do so can limit it's mature size to 80%.
    etc, etc etc.... plus got good tips on clipping, grooming, showing and Basil Bothwell showed how he linear scores animals in a live demonstration.
    Excellent day for any serious suckler farmer

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

Great stock there Seaba. What type of breeding is behind the cow the second calf is out of giving that great shine/ look?

CVV is a looker alright, I've a low set AAX cow that he might suit next time round;).

2nd calf is out of a red limousin cow with a whiteish face. I put a pic of them up a week after he was born - page 101. The cow is a daughter of the cow that bred the first calf in the post. She is 12 yrs now, not much to look at, narrowish behind but wide hips (calves anything) and a great bag of milk. Consistently brings great calves. Kept about 4 of her heifers.

CVV seems to be better for smaller cows alright. Hard to get it right.

Got a very good BB 2nd calver 2 weeks overtime to CWI limo bull - interested to see what kind of calf she hopefully brings

• Advertisement

Underfeeding of protein to gestating cows is a no no. Results in difficult calvings, reduced calf vigour and increased interval to oestrus.
    Interesting point considering it's a common enough practice to restrict feed in the last 6-8 weeks of gestation to ensure easy of calving. Thinking about it this is probably only an issue when the restricted diet is straw only? Restricted diet of silage, hay or grass should still provide enough protein.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭stanflt

spread some lime 2day
    001afh.jpg

started pre mowing005scb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

stanflt wrote: »
    spread some lime 2day
    001afh.jpg

will it dry up the field????????

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

I bought this a few years back for some land away from the home house. It was alway a pain drawing water although i doubt they need to use it to often this summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Miller80

stanflt wrote: »
    spread some lime 2day
    001afh.jpg

started pre mowing005scb.jpg

Stan, what is the benefits of pre mowing at this time of the year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

RobinBanks wrote: »
    I bought this a few years back for some land away from the home house. It was alway a pain drawing water although i doubt they need to use it to often this summer!

We have one of these too. We never set it up at ground level like you, usually about 18" off the ground. A neighbour has one bolted onto a cube probably 2ft square of concrete, which he moves along the river paddock to paddock with the front loader as he needs it.

New side gate off slatted pen.
    20120720063949.jpg
    20120720063918.jpg
    20120720063825.jpg
    20120720063738.jpg
    20120720063651.jpg
    20120720063615.jpg
    That roadway will link to every field on the 45ac block when it's finished. The extra bar was required because some of the smaller older stock such as the vasectomised bull could get out the small gate. Nifty bit of engineering I thought. The overall idea was mine but how it was designed was the local fabricator who is also a farmer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Nice work there 'Just Do It'. It's those simple little tips that can make life a lot easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

how did you cut the wall, did you cut doth sides with consaw?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

Maybe drill holes through wall to form template, and then cut both sides

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement