Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC EPC3925 "Bridging" Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Rewired wrote: »
    Which cable? The LAN cable or the slightly thinner one that goes in the DSL input?
    Also, my 'bridge' router doesn't have any designated WAN input. There is a DSL input and 4 LAN inputs, all the same...

I tried a 'bridged' setup from the EPC3925 to my Vodafone HG556a, connecting the LAN1 port on the EPC to the DSL on the Vodafone router using the thinner than LAN cable, but no internet. The internet connection would default to the Vodafone router homepage when I tried to load a webpage.

Does it matter which LAN connection I use on the EPC, with regard to the settings in the tutorial?

Eh, yeah, you're using a DSL Modem. Thats probably not going to work.

The idea is to buy and aftermarket router, not recycle your old one(if you really want to use it set it up as a "dumb" access point).

I tried with my BT-Vorager router as well, but no success.

Ed-E: shouldn't the IP address for your 2nd router be .1.2 not .2.1? It makes sense to me that it would match the DMZ addy. Also, could you add your administrator -> DCHP (static) settings for the EPC to the guide please? I think this is where I'm going wrong as I'm taking a guess on these.

Gonna grab a few screens and make an update post with notes now.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Rewired

ED E wrote: »
    Eh, yeah, you're using a DSL Modem. Thats probably not going to work.

The idea is to buy and aftermarket router, not recycle your old one(if you really want to use it set it up as a "dumb" access point).
    So I just have to change some more settings on the other DSL router's setup page?
    Gonna grab a few screens and make an update post with notes now.
    Great.

So I just have to change some more settings on the other DSL router's setup page?

Nooo. You have to buy another router.

Drew a little picture, nothing new, but might help some people understand better.

ORIG0062_update.jpg

Notes:
    • The new router has to be an aftermarket one. An old DSL one wont work. Nor a cable one. Aftermarket routers are just that, routers, and have no modem component. Thus they have an RJ45 etherenet WAN port, which is what we need.
    • As above, the new router "thinks" itself to be the only router, the old one is just a "dumb" modem.
    • The EPC3925 doesnt DHCP, so when it sends stuff, it sends it to the router. As its only connected on one port, its only got one place to go. This means the token address of "192.168.1.2" is FINE.

@Mods: Add to OP?

Think thats everything unresolved for now.

RE proper bridging, if you're business they'll do anything you want, even provision your own cable router, but us residentials, they couldn't give a cr@p.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Rewired

Nooo. You have to buy another router.
    Looks like I finally have a use for the Peats gift voucher then.

Hooooold up. Gonna have to mock up V1.1 tonight.

eiwG1.png

You need to set a static External IP, I'd forgotten I'd done it, and was assuming the EPC was picking it up automatically as the only route. *facepalm*. Anyways, yeah, thats the bit I missed.

@Mango: this is your fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭mang0

Don't know how to give thanks on the thread like FreudianSlippers so I'll just say thanks. Working perfectly.

NP. Its the thumb on the far right at the bottom btw(not thank whoring :D Just info).

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭mang0

I don't have a thumb up. Maybe I don't have enough posts?

Anyway, just to reiterate, anyone using that piece of Cisco crap with UPC really ought to follow the instructions in this because my wifi is about 5000000 times better than it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭billyfromdublin

hi guys this is my setup the only thing i have done is trun off wifi on the cisco and no more can i please ask what you think dose all look ok and what you think about the upgrade ????

cheers

hi guys this is my setup the only thing i have done is trun off wifi on the cisco and no more can i please ask what you think dose all look ok and what you think about the upgrade ????

cheers

Looks fine, but its not what this thread is really about.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭billyfromdublin

Looks fine, but its not what this thread is really about.

hi ED E sorry for that was just trying to see what's the difference between the 2 setups

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭PeWu79

Great guide.
    Something I was looking for since the real bridging on my 2425 stopped working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

So if I do this I lose my UPC phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

So if I do this I lose my UPC phone?
    No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

hi ED E sorry for that was just trying to see what's the difference between the 2 setups
    I am thinking the same. What exactly is the difference? I turned the wifi off and just attached an N router. It works fine for me.

I am thinking the same. What exactly is the difference? I turned the wifi off and just attached an N router. It works fine for me.

You're fixing the wireless issue, giving you full speed wifi, but all the management roles are left to the EPC, which is shocking at doing its job. For light users who just facebook and email this is fine, but for gamers or households with several users this isnt great, as packets and requests get held up, and large traffic can cause it to freak. Also you dont get the extra features of a good router like proper port management, good firewall, continual updates(Netgear are great for this), traffic management, etc.

Its a case by case thing, but if you are capable of doing it and have ten minutes its worth doing properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Going to buy a new router and try and get my network working and stable. I have had some success with a range extender and the epc3925 but due to the rubbish port management it crashes regularily. I never could get WDS functioning although it's supposed to be supported by the EPC3925.

My main issue is range ( Georgian house) followed by port managment and my questions are.
    1. How is the range on the WNDR3800?
    2. Is this a good price for the WNDR3800? €114.95
    3. Is this Linksys E3200 a possible alternative at €69.95?

I haven't heard much good about netgear products and have been used to linksys cisco interfaces but I can learn - I've had to:)

Many thanks for this guide and I hope to order the new router and get this sorted out once and for all.

Grawns wrote: »
    My main issue is range ( Georgian house) followed by port managment and my questions are.
    1. How is the range on the WNDR3800?
    2. Is this a good price for the WNDR3800? €114.95
    3. Is this Linksys E3200 a possible alternative at €69.95?

I haven't heard much good about netgear products and have been used to linksys cisco interfaces but I can learn - I've had to:)

Many thanks for this guide and I hope to order the new router and get this sorted out once and for all.

First off, if its a Georgian house like the ones I'm used to and has three/four floors then one AP wont really work, you're gonna want two.

1. I cant be sure as mine is placed in an alcove with two layers of red brick and beside a metal chute for the chimney, pretty much the worst possible place. But thats where there was space for the gear. We have two other APs in the house so its not a big problem for us.

2. Ours was about the same from Amazon.

3. Yeah, it would be alright. Doesnt have the NAS features(only used mine once so far) and may miss a few other trinkets, but its not bad at all.
    NB: €115 is excessive for most users, as a geek who spends far too much time online in a house with others who do same, it was apt for us, but most of you only need to spend 60-80€

UPDATE: Thanks to a PM from one of the users watching this thread I've had a look into the 3200, its actually a quite lower spec as it has a slower processor and half the RAM, but this will only affect the heavier users, so analyse your own usage before purchasing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

First off, if its a Georgian house like the ones I'm used to and has three/four floors then one AP wont really work, you're gonna want two.

Thanks for the feedback - have ordered the wndr3800. Hoping I can get the signal around the house by using g mode and using old wre54g and possibly wrt54g.
    What other APs do you have and does it matter? N or G

Thanks again

( It's good to be a hoarder)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭duckndive

Hi, firstly before I show my ineptitude, great thread :D

I have followed the guide to a tee, but cannot get a working connection.

I have set up the DMZ in the Cisco combi at 192.168.1.2 as per the guide, also following all other points, right down to the static IP on my router, (which I got from the Cisco router). Which is a Netgear WNDR2000 V2. I have tried various tweaks but still a no go.

I have since re-installed my backup on the Cisco and all is back connected both on wired and wireless, but I would like to obviously get away from the poor performance of the UPC one and go back to my trusty Netgear.

Any help greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 skipdeedy

I followed the steps for the changes to the Cisco fine but obviously the settings for an Airport Extreme do not follow the settings in the example and I cannot figure it out.

Anyone had any experience in doing what's required here to the Airport Extreme?

Thanks!

Grawns wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback - have ordered the wndr3800. Hoping I can get the signal around the house by using g mode and using old wre54g and possibly wrt54g.
    What other APs do you have and does it matter? N or G

Thanks again

( It's good to be a hoarder)

Two very old(but far better than the 3925) 2247's from Failcom. As routers they tended to crash every few weeks or so, but they make fine AP's. They're only b/g but as they both host legacy devices its not worth upgrading them. The dual band 300Mpbs point is in the center of the house where media streaming/lan games would happen.

I have set up the DMZ in the Cisco combi at 192.168.1.2 as per the guide, also following all other points, right down to the static IP on my router, (which I got from the Cisco router). Which is a Netgear WNDR2000 V2. I have tried various tweaks but still a no go.

Are you trying to DHCP your external?
    Anyone had any experience in doing what's required here to the Airport Extreme?

If anyone has an airport spare that they'd be willing to lend me I'll do a few screenys on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 skipdeedy

I'd have you round to try it out on my Airport Extreme if you have the time!

I'm a graphic designer so I'd happily help re-layout a revised version of your handy step-by-step guide in return if you were interested.

Skip

skipdeedy wrote: »
    I'd have you round to try it out on my Airport Extreme if you have the time!

I'm a graphic designer so I'd happily help re-layout a revised version of your handy step-by-step guide in return if you were interested.

Skip

I'm planning on revising it soon so that sounds like a plan(was a very lazy photoshop jobbie btw :p ).

Drop us a PM with your location and we can try sort something out.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭duckndive

Are you trying to DHCP your external?

Hi Ed,

Thank you very much for your reply.

When you say am I trying to DHCP my external, I am trying to use my Netgear as a DHCP server, even though most of the time I use static IPs on any connected networked devices. The static IPs are UPCs IP and Gateway, inclusive of theirs DNS servers. My DHCP range is within the Netgear address range of 192.168.2.1 to 192.168.2.100, (I can change that if required?).

My LAN I.P. on the Netgear router is 192.168.2.1 which is in a different subnet when compared with the Cisco 192.168.1.1, (as per your guide). Am I correct in using 192.168.1.2. as my DMZ host address? I am using Tomato firmware on the Netgear, but that shouldn't matter, I hope.

Or am I missing something that is really simple, as that would usually be the case :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

It appears that the WNDR3800 has a wireless issue can anyone recommend a solid dual band alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

It appears that the WNDR3800 has a wireless issue can anyone recommend a solid dual band alternative?
    Really? I just bought one earlier... all of the reviews and articles on it raved about it.

• Advertisement

Source? Its total bs from my experience.

Advertisement