Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Series link - any boxes support it yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Dazzling D

The Sony SVR-HDT500 picks up Saorview too. Haven't tried it for Series link.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Windows Media Center downloads a 14 day EPG if it has web access. Along with series link, it can watch for keywords or partial titles, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jas_williams

I thought I would update this this thread I have a sagemcom free view receiver that I brought with me from the uk. This works with the series link information provided from blackrock on rtejr and rte one +1 I have been using it successfully for the last couple of months I just wish it was on the other channels as well.

Jason

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Article on ASO in the Indo today - http://www.independent.ie/national-news/32000-homes-must-fork-out-240-or-face-a-tv-blackout-3155620.html

Saorview approved PVRs appear to be on the way, in testing at the moment according to the last line of the article
    New Saorview-approved set-top boxes that also allow you to record programmes easily -- like the Sky or UPC boxes -- are also being tested to entice more customers.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Should've been tested to "entice customers" long before now!

• Advertisement

The Cush wrote: »
    Article on ASO in the Indo today - http://www.independent.ie/national-news/32000-homes-must-fork-out-240-or-face-a-tv-blackout-3155620.html

Saorview approved PVRs appear to be on the way, in testing at the moment according to the last line of the article

Brain Geraghty, Saorview's Digital Reception Manager was on George Hook's radio show last evening. He says he expects to see Saorview PVRs in the shops before ASO.

http://www.newstalk.ie/2012/featured-5-slideshow-homepage/georges-guide-to-the-digital-switchover/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

There is an article in today's Irish Star ( sorry, don't know how to provide link ), about the lack of a Saorview PVR and about how those who have already bought Saorview set top boxes, are only now copping on that these boxes cant record and do series link etc. Goes on to say that these people should be able to bring boxes back to part exchange them for PVR's ! That of course is, if a PVR ever appears. The article more or less tells people to hold off on buying Saorview boxes until a proper PVR comes on the market. A spokesman from Saorview washed his hands on the PVR issue, claiming equipment was not their problem.

In fairness, its only 56 days to switchoff and still no proper Saorview PVR with series link, is available. It could only happen in this audio/visual backwater of a country. All that needs to be done, is make sure that series link here, is compatible with series link in the UK and then Humax, Sagem etc could just ship their Freeview HD PVR's over here and away we go, but no, that would be too easy.

galtee boy wrote: »
    There is an article in today's Irish Star ( sorry, don't know how to provide link ), about the lack of a Saorview PVR and about how those who have already bought Saorview set top boxes, are only now copping on that these boxes cant record and do series link etc.

Also a letter in the Irish Times on Monday on this issue. If Saorview's own Digital Reception Manager is to be believed, it's looking good for Saorview PVRs within the next 2 months.
    Saorview turn-on a digital turn-off?
    Mon, Aug 27, 2012

Sir, – In two months, with the help of Saorview, Ireland will complete the “giant leap forward” away from analogue TV and into digital TV. Unfortunately, this big leap forward is accompanied, in my opinion, by an even bigger leap backward.

Up to now, I have been able to watch one programme while recording another on my DVD recorder. Under the new system this will no longer be possible. My new Saorview Combi-box which cost €200 allows me to record only the programme on-screen.

A Saorview representative has advised me that “at present, there are no Saorview-approved boxes on the market with PVR functionality. However, within the coming months, this situation is likely to change as the manufacturers react to this evident demand in the marketplace. As such, for the time being there will be restrictions in terms of recording; the TV must remain set to the channel from which you are recording”. Big leap forward, how are ye! – Yours, etc,

VINCENT Mac CARTHY,
    Cloncat,
    Athboy PO, Co Meath.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/letters/2012/0827/1224323032118.html

• Registered Users Posts: 39 thetwangman

I have to say that I am weary of all this whinging about the lack of Saorview approved dual tuner PVRs. Sky (Satellite) and UPC (Cable) boxes need dual tuners, Saorview (Terrestrial) boxes do not. How may tuners does your man's DVD recorder have? Probably only one. My VCR and DVD recorder only have one tuner. I can watch record one channel and watch another because my TV has its own independent terrestrial tuner. The fact that dual tuner PVRs are not absolutely necessary for digital terrestrial television is actually a step forward. Manufacturers are aware of this. When the public realise that they won't actually need a dual tuner PVR when they eventually replace their old TV, the demand for dual tuner PVRs will not be there. There is life after Sky and UPC. The way things had to be done for satellite and cable is not the same for terrestrial. Lets put an end to this dual tuner mindset. A single tuner PVR will do just fine if your TV is Saorview approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Brian Geraghty also said that if you hook up your "old" vcr or dvd recorder via a scart lead to the Saorview box, you can record away to your hearts content. He did'nt elaborate, and Grumpy George didnt ask, if you can watch 1 channel/record another.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Lets put an end to this dual tuner mindset. A single tuner PVR will do just fine if your TV is Saorview approved.

People aren't whinging about the lack of a twin tuner PVRs, they're whinging about the lack of any type of Saorview approved PVR.

When they do eventually appear they will most likely have twin tuners by default, can't think of any Freeview ones with only a single tuner other than the PVR ready types.

According to a comment posted over on its Facebook page Saorview say that Walker have a PVR in for testing at the moment and should be available by early Oct.
    Kevin Gorman
    Is there any Saorview approved tuner/recorders available, ones with a built in hard drive like what they have in Uk for Freeview?
    Yesterday at 5:01pm

Saorview Hi Kevin. At present most of the boxes allow you to record to an external hard drive or memory stick, however Walker have a box in test that has a built in hard drive. We expect this to be available in stores around early October.
    8 hours ago

http://www.facebook.com/saorview

• Registered Users Posts: 34,285 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There is a Triax twin tuner box listed as 'approval pending' on tvtrade:

http://www.tvtrade.ie/saorview-set-top-box-receiver.html

No integrated hard disk though, so not a true PVR...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

I have to say that I am weary of all this whinging about the lack of Saorview approved dual tuner PVRs. Sky (Satellite) and UPC (Cable) boxes need dual tuners, Saorview (Terrestrial) boxes do not. How may tuners does your man's DVD recorder have? Probably only one. My VCR and DVD recorder only have one tuner. I can watch record one channel and watch another because my TV has its own independent terrestrial tuner. The fact that dual tuner PVRs are not absolutely necessary for digital terrestrial television is actually a step forward. Manufacturers are aware of this. When the public realise that they won't actually need a dual tuner PVR when they eventually replace their old TV, the demand for dual tuner PVRs will not be there. There is life after Sky and UPC. The way things had to be done for satellite and cable is not the same for terrestrial. Lets put an end to this dual tuner mindset. A single tuner PVR will do just fine if your TV is Saorview approved.

Will you come into the 21st century, in this day and age, a VCR and DVD recorder, is the equivalent of rubbing two rocks together to make fire ! A Saorview pvr with series link, will allow people to break away from Sky and UPC if they want, and still allow them pretty much all the joys of using a Sky+ box without the subscription. Add on a Freesat pvr and once the initial cost is covered, no more fees for having all Irish and UK channels plus hundreds more, fully recordable, live pause etc etc, which only a fully approved pvr with series link can provide. No messing around with tapes, discs or USB sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 thetwangman

galtee boy wrote: »
    Will you come into the 21st century

galtee boy, I have a dual tuner Freesat PVR. And my two single tuner Saorview boxes in conjunction with my Saorview TVs serve me well, and I find recording to USB very handy for watching recorded material on different devices. The point I am making is dual tuner Saorview PVRs are not absolutely necessary (in much the same way that dual tuner VCRs were never necessary).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭zg3409

Triax have launched a dual tuner receiver for Saorview. While it's not approved quite yet it should be in the coming months. A dual tuner allows recording of one channel, while watching another. This is a very handy feature absent up until now.

However the more I read the more I am worried this box will not be approved by Saorview as a true PVR and so it may not work with series link. Series link cannot be tested at the moment as RTENL have said they will not send the required signals until an approved PVR box is launched. (Series link information is sometimes on RTE1+1 according to reports)

It seems as if Walker (as opposed to Triax) are going to launch a similar box shortly which may be fully approved as a PVR and will do series linking.

Here is what I have noticed so far
    The Cush wrote: »
    Currently there are some Approved products that allow recording on an external hard drive. These products are not fully compliant PVRs and do not record subtitles. SAORVIEW is working with manufacturers develop a PVR for SAORVIEW which has an internal hard drive and two tuners. It will be a requirement for this device to record subtitles.
    From here:
    http://www.saorview.ie/help-support/accessibility/

"internal hard drive" suggests the first Saorview approved PVR will not be the Triax TR212 twin tuner http://www.tvtrade.ie/saorview-set-top-box-receiver.html

If the 212 is not an approved PVR, and RTENL have said they will not send series link information until there is an approved PVR does this mean even if the 212 is approved it will not series link or it may, but RTENL will not send the signals until another receiver with an internal hard drive is approved?

So we may have to wait for the walker

Have any triax TR212 owners attempted to record from RTE1+1 and been offered series link like people on page 2 of this thread?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056610323&page=2
    RTEjr and RTE1+1 seems to be the main place to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 satnob

If any SAORview channels are moved to another mux., not even the Triax TR112 will be able to "record one channel while you watch another". THEN a twin-tuner STB will be required.

Also, an STB which records via external USB2.0 (200-480 Mbps) HDD isn't as fast as recording internally via sATA (2-3 Gbps) HDD. This is probably what the new Walker box will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Cerco

zg3409 wrote: »
    Series link cannot be tested at the moment as RTENL have said they will not send the required signals until an approved PVR box is launched. (Series link information is sometimes on RTE1+1 according to reports)
    Series link is available on RTE+1. I have seen it for "Fair City" soap. I have checked it numerous times and it seems to be there consistently.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭sky23

Cerco wrote: »
    Series link is available on RTE+1. I have seen it for "Fair City" soap. I have checked it numerous times and it seems to be there consistently.

how would you know? would some thing pop up asking if you want to series rec? i tried that on a triax tsc 114 but doesn't seem to work

sky23 wrote: »
    how would you know? would some thing pop up asking if you want to series rec? i tried that on a triax tsc 114 but doesn't seem to work

Yes. It works the same as a Sky box. When you go to record it asks just this show or the whole series. When a certified box is launched it will definitely do this. Many other recording boxes out there may or may not work, most likely cheaper boxes will not. No current Saorview certified box is approved as a recorder, even though many offer the option to record, that part is not certified.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭khumbu

zg3409 wrote: »
    Have any triax TR212 owners attempted to record from RTE1+1 and been offered series link like people on page 2 of this thread?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056610323&page=2
    RTEjr and RTE1+1 seems to be the main place to find out.

No option to series record offered on TR212 when todays (25/9/12) Eastenders on RTE1+1 set to record. There is not even an option to record daily/weekly when programme selected for record from EPG. User needs to enter timer schedule & modify default "once" setting to monthly/weekly/daily to record more than once.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Cerco

When you go to record it shows a graphic at the bottom of the screen which resembles a stack of discs. It also shows the option of recording a single episode or the complete series.
    Cannot say if this is the same as Sky as I am not familiar with that.

Mid Oct for the Walker PVR and series link - Saorview on facebook
    Joe P Murphy
    Has a date been set for the launch of a Saorview approved HDR. I have been waiting months and now with the analogue shutdown less than a month away I need to start organising the purchase of one to replace my old analogue HDR. Also when will the series link be broadcast so that HDR’s and PVR’s can be set further ahead than 7 days on the EPG
    13 hours ago

Saorview Hi Joe. We know that Walker are currently developing a SAORVIEW Approved box with built in hard drive and it's due to hit stores around mid October. Series link is ready to go, so once the box is available, series link will be enabled.
    4 hours ago

Joe P Murphy will series link only work with The walker unit or will it work with other brands
    2 hours ago

http://www.facebook.com/saorview?ref=stream#!/saorview/posts/396945193708839

the response there "The boxes have to have the function for seried link built in to them and up to now no manufacturer has developed such a box, so the service will only be available as the equipment is developed. Future boxes may have the series link function but we don't have any details of those as yet"

I understood that series link would work with any saorview approved receiver with pvr function when the service started but seems like they are saying we have to buy another now. so will this not work with triax tsc 114?

sky23 wrote: »
    I understood that series link would work with any saorview approved receiver with pvr function when the service started

No that is not the case. Current boxes have a PVR feature which was not part of the Saorview certification. They may or may not work. No box has yet been certified as a proper PVR, but part of that certification is to have an internal hard drive so it was possibly impossible for boxes up to now to be properly approved.

Having said that, boxes may or may not work. We know some more expensive boxes from the UK seem to have picked up some of the series link tests. We won't know for sure until the series link is launched properly on all channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Kilree

Just a point to watch out for on the new Triax TR 212 stb. The only aspect ratio options given are 16: 9 and Full despite the fact that the product handbook gives several different variations such as 4: 3 and 16:9 panscan and letterbox choices. I have only purchased this box in the last few days and the supplier has offered to take the box back and give me a refund because the item does not perform as advertised. I have emailed Triax.co.uk requesting a patch but my supplier is not confident that they will take any action. The Triax website itself makes it clear that they do not help end users and deal with trade only. I will probably end up returning the box but in the meantime does anyone know of another twin tuner terrestrial (Saorview) box on the market.

Kilree wrote: »
    Just a point to watch out for on the new Triax TR 212 stb. The only aspect ratio options given are 16: 9 and Full despite the fact that the product handbook gives several different variations such as 4: 3 and 16:9 panscan and letterbox choices. I have only purchased this box in the last few days and the supplier has offered to take the box back and give me a refund because the item does not perform as advertised. I have emailed Triax.co.uk requesting a patch but my supplier is not confident that they will take any action. The Triax website itself makes it clear that they do not help end users and deal with trade only. I will probably end up returning the box but in the meantime does anyone know of another twin tuner terrestrial (Saorview) box on the market.

edit : sorry thought u were talking about tsc114 i have this problem on it too

i got mine about a month ago and i didn't have that problem but since i did a software update from the website i have that problem so it is a software bug they need to fix. we just need to keep bugging them for a fix!

but in the meantime does anyone know of another twin tuner terrestrial (Saorview) box on the market.

The Saorview approved Walker twin-tuner PVR is expected by mid-Oct according to Saorview.

Triax TR 212 stb. ...does anyone know of another twin tuner terrestrial (Saorview) box on the market.

The Walker which is due to be launched will be twin tuner. It is guranteed to work with series link which the Triax 212 may not handle. The walker is expected to be 240 Euro ish but it will have an inbuilt hard drive, saving having to buy an external hard drive. You might want to get a refund for now and wait until 1 or 2 reviews on the new Walker.

There may be other approved PVRs launched year and they may be better or worse in terms of features and ease of use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Walker are currently developing a SAORVIEW Approved box with built in hard drive and it's due to hit stores around mid October.

Inaccurate. Someone is getting the Approvals done for box Vestel developed (Made in Turkey and their SW & HW development is USA & UK). Walker is only a marketing company out of the ashes of Mitsubshi TV distribution in Ireland. Turkish Vestel made the later "Black Diamonds".

Many UK high street Brand TVs and Freeview boxes are actually rebadged Vestel. They are better than many Chinese and HW design has a Philips hertiage so likely higher quality than Apple (Commodity parts, Chinese assembled, only major Apple input is look/feel and GUI).
    There may be other approved PVRs launched year and they may be better or worse in terms of features and ease of use.
    Or a different badge on the same Vestel box (which isn't actually a bad thing).

Triax for Dishes and Aerials. I'd not buy any electronics from them.

Advertisement