Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Systems are down part 2 *READ* First post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Compensation : You might get a FREE Henri Hippo pen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭d9oiu2wk07blr5

if they doubled every payment that is due to go into every account that would cost them in the tens of millions. that wont happen.

and foregoing interest and charges due to this debacle is NOT compensation. they caused the mess in the first place, and should rightly clean up the mess.

if they offer cmpensation of some kind itll most likely be far more meagre than gift cash lodgements

Well, that was the compensation that I received when my employer happened to overpay me by making a lodgement to my account that cleared and showed up on my a/c balance. Then some twat in my employers bank decided that they could get somebody they knew in UB to reverse the lodgement that had already cleared from my UB account....and as compensation (or hush hush money) UB gave me the full sum that was originally lodged/debited from my account. It was in excess of €3,000 back then :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 JABS

Solair wrote: »
    Compensation : You might get a FREE Henri Hippo pen!

Or if they brought back out the Hippo Savings Box. They still have a couple of these in my local branch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 m.kot

The payment of 1100£ that has been sent by my husband from the UK should hit my acc no later than 21st. How is it possible that it could be lost? It takes too long... Was at the phone with my branch today and didn't get any answer, can only come in and speak to the manager about withdrawing some cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I pay the rent out of my account but I have a BOI account so that should be ok but my flatmate has a Standing Order which pays his rent to my account a couple of days before the rent is due. Is he better off cancelling it this month and just putting the cash into my account?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Pockey

An SO that was due to leave one of our UB accounts on June 25th left sometime last night to go to its destination. No sign of salaries for both myself and my wife which were due in on Thurs 28th. Have been patient with them thus far but am giving serious consideration to moving elsewhere now. Total shambles

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Lux23 wrote: »
    I pay the rent out of my account but I have a BOI account so that should be ok but my flatmate has a Standing Order which pays his rent to my account a couple of days before the rent is due. Is he better off cancelling it this month and just putting the cash into my account?

He won't be able to cancel if the S/O is due within next few days. Well, he won't be able to cancel even if payment date was due week ago, if it was not processed yet...
    I cancelled one and it came back twice, like a boomerang...

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Domhnall66

wonski wrote: »
    Let's be honest - most of users here are very annoyed at UB at this moment, but most do OK for now. The branches are there to go in and ask about money that are due to us, and that is probably the very reason they give the money out without much hassle. If anyone suffered in any way, he can write a letter outlining costs etc. But i, and most of people here, wouldn't ask for money back for 1E parking charge, or 1E petrol cost.
    I know there may be different cases, but as long as they offer you what you ask for during the fiasco, they are covered...

True, but I suspect that you and I are not hourly paid workers, and perhaps don't have to take formal vacation time to spend the 1.5-2hrs that it takes to visit the branch.

For hourly paid workers (of which I am not one) the cost is very much upfront, for people who need to take formal vacation hours (of which I am not yet one; while this SNAFU isn't my fault, it isn't my employers either) it is a deffered cost.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not planning to claim the 6 euros in parking back either, not yet. But if it becomes 10 euros? and 8*1.5hr trips to my branch? All a matter of scale....

• Registered Users Posts: 25 jcupcake

Anyone meant to be paid 22/6 got their wages into their account yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭littleteapot

I just applied for a PTSB account. I need a working account with a visa debit card. I currently use AIB as my main account, and UB for online shopping. I currently have about €300 in limbo, which isn't much but I'd still rather be able to access it. I was considering switching to BOI, but PTSB's conditions for free banking seem more realistic. I'll be closing both my AIB and UB accounts when the new one is sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

jcupcake wrote: »
    Anyone meant to be paid 22/6 got their wages into their account yet?

Go back a few pages. One poster here said he was due his wages on the 27/6 and has now been paid. I was supposed to be paid on the 21/6 (and many others here) and not a sign of it so no bloody idea how exactly they are "processing" anything at this stage...

• Registered Users Posts: 27 yoganmahew

This "UB has to follow Natwest and RBS for processing" thing is complete BS.

If that is the case, it is something that happens in the nightly batch - i.e. the batch for RBS is run, then the one for NatWest, then the one for UB, so at worst, UB is the last run during the night.

To end up with a situation where RBS and Natwest are up to date, but UB is still mired in 21 June you have to change what you are doing in the batch run, that is, exclude UB. This has to have been a conscious decision. If it was not a conscious decision, then the levels of incompetence that have been shown thus far have just taken a leap higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Domhnall66 wrote: »
    True, but I suspect that you and I are not hourly paid workers, and perhaps don't have to take formal vacation time to spend the 1.5-2hrs that it takes to visit the branch.

For hourly paid workers (of which I am not one) the cost is very much upfront, for people who need to take formal vacation hours (of which I am not yet one; while this SNAFU isn't my fault, it isn't my employers either) it is a deffered cost.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not planning to claim the 6 euros in parking back either, not yet. But if it becomes 10 euros? and 8*1.5hr trips to my branch? All a matter of scale....

I think we agree in principle - i am not saying you, or anyone else should not claim money back, but i will not go this route unless i find it is more than just parking charge, or - in my case - relatively small amount of petrol.
    I didn't have to take time off to get to branch, and was lucky enough to spend there less than 10 minutes to get cash. So don't really need to claim anything back so far.
    Also 8*1.5hr trips to the bank is a bit unusual...

My point is - if you suffered any costs that you want them to pay, you are more than welcome to ask them to reimburse you. They claim that no customer will be out of pocket, and they will have to stick to it.
    I would wait until it is over tough, as this costs may rise in next days/weeks?
    But we can not expect them to make a goodwill gesture to every account without claim made by customer - some may spend/lose 200 euro in 2 weeks, while some - like me - not even a tenner. I will definitely send them a letter if this figure rises in next weeks.

I do not mention charges/interest loss on our accounts, as i believe they will cancel those charges when everything goes back to normal...

Hope we all get sorted soon, and those who suffered in any way will be compensated.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭war_child

Just wana say i really feel sorry for ub customers at the minute thankfully im not one im with ptsb have never had any problems with so or dds with em ...

i know empathy really aint what u all want ud like your bloody cash back please, but whilst the powers that be are sortin that out i really honestly hope no family suffers to a point of extreme seriousness caused by this complete and total cok up ....Hope its sorted for you all really soon

Be Good

War_child

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

i hate the way direct debits s are being taken out but none of my ****ing wages since 21st of june are being put in.thats buggin the **** out of me.

ps this new beta website or new look website is ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

Didn't learn anything new from the IT expert on RTE news who was explaining the UB issue. RTE just referred to him as an IT Expert but he is actually IT service manager at the central bank. I can honestly say i've learnt more from this forum than i did from that segment on the news!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

20 million transactions per night. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

20 million transactions per night. :eek:

i think that might be including RBS & Natwest.

if thats the case it would be fair to assume that UB's transaction count could be quite a bit lower.

i may be wrong though I hope Im not.

if there is that kind of backlog to work through you can be sure itll take a whole lot longer than a week to fix

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭irishbloke77

crazygeryy wrote: »
    i hate the way direct debits s are being taken out but none of my ****ing wages since 21st of june are being put in.thats buggin the **** out of me.

ps this new beta website or new look website is ****e.

When people say the direct debits are being paid, are ye seeing this on your online banking or by phoning those whom the direct debits are payable to and seeing if they got it?

My banking is stuck since June 21st, no wages, no dd showing. Is this the case for all or should I be seeing the direct debits there by now?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Domhnall66

chasm wrote: »
    Didn't learn anything new from the IT expert on RTE news who was explaining the UB issue. RTE just referred to him as an IT Expert but he is actually IT service manager at the central bank. I can honestly say i've learnt more from this forum than i did from that segment on the news!

Oh I don't know. I mean - taking him at face value - he and/or the segment overall corroborated (or appeared to corroborate - only UB know for sure) some of the speculations or assumptions that have taken place on this board.
    1. Ulster Bank does indeed come last in the 'fix order' but as a result of the way the systems were tied together during acquisition/back in the day, rather than a conscious or deliberate decision to de-prioritise those customers.
    2. The restoration requires an element at least of manual reconcilliation over and above just the manual withdrawals taking place in branch.
    3. The rate of new transactions coming in while they attempt to solve the issue is compounding it (20 million! :eek: ).
    4. Ulster Bank now have (acc. to the News segment, not the IT guy) no ETA for when the problems will be fixed.

That at least is what I took away from the piece.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

chasm wrote: »

Another IT spoofer maybe he should have been outsourced to Bangalore ....

Good to see its getting a bit of priority on the news now we have to keep posting on boards.ie keeping the pressure applied. Also see Joe Duffy show ran with it today.

As for the UB letter from Jim Browne what a pile of tripe. Really they outsource good IT guys and pay big bucks for PR and marketing drivel no wonder they are up to their necks in it. Here's a top management suggestion outsource PR and marketing to India.

When people say the direct debits are being paid, are ye seeing this on your online banking or by phoning those whom the direct debits are payable to and seeing if they got it?

My banking is stuck since June 21st, no wages, no dd showing. Is this the case for all or should I be seeing the direct debits there by now?

for most people, direct debits are still not showing on their acc's since the 21st

most people are reporting that they are being paid regardless of not showing up online

some however have reported that they have had companies contacting them with regards to non payment

best thing to do is contact whoever you owe DD's to, mention Ulster bank situation and they should be understanding if the money has not yet reached them. it most likely has though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

No dd showing on my account but 3 says they've been paid...others have said they've had letters/calls of unpayment...best to call your providers/people due and ask them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I had a dd for esb on the 21st and it got paid (checked my esb account) but it still isn't showing up on my account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

Does anyone else have a UB visa debit card? Are online purchases working for you?

Domhnall66 wrote: »
    Oh I don't know. I mean - taking him at face value - he and/or the segment overall corroborated (or appeared to corroborate - only UB know for sure) some of the speculations or assumptions that have taken place on this board.
    1. Ulster Bank does indeed come last in the 'fix order' but as a result of the way the systems were tied together during acquisition/back in the day, rather than a conscious or deliberate decision to de-prioritise those customers.
    2. The restoration requires an element at least of manual reconcilliation over and above just the manual withdrawals taking place in branch.
    3. The rate of new transactions coming in while they attempt to solve the issue is compounding it (20 million! :eek: ).
    4. Ulster Bank now have (acc. to the News segment, not the IT guy) no ETA for when the problems will be fixed.

That at least is what I took away from the piece.

Here's a suggestion; maybe they should close all branches for 2 days to clear the backlog and fix the issue. The way it is the long branch opening and all weekend branch access is making the eventual fix worse.

dee. wrote: »
    Does anyone else have a UB visa debit card? Are online purchases working for you?

Still working Ok however the last online purchase has just been taken from my account twice. Am waiting on the fog of this issue to clear before battle commences. So use visa debit with caution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

Yes, but being taken from the balance straight away...so presumably only working if your balance reflects enough funds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

Thanks guys, have to purchase concert tickets in the morning so hoping it will go through for me

• Advertisement

if your current online balance shows enough funds it should go through

but i would hold off on spending with it, unless its an emergency.

many of my purchases over the las wk and a half with the card have doubled on my account online and brought me into an unauthorised overdraft - thanks ulster bank!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement