Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Were The Celts?

Options
  • 02-06-2012 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

We talk of Celtic tigers, Celtic Nations, Celtic languages etc., but in school we learn nothing about the culture from which we are supposedly descended. If we are indeed 'Celts', then who were these mysterious Celts, and where did they come from ?

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Apparently, we are not really 'Celtic' (a bit of a catch all term anyway born in the nineteenth centuryentral europe northern India? - c) genetically. Our origins especially western Ireland seem to be more towards Spain/Basque area.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 bolgios

So why is Irish a Celtic language?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭saabsaab

The 'Celtic' culture was all across Europe and had tremendous influence and sway here too language customs, bit like American culture is today in the western world. Not saying that none came here but numbers were small.

Well, if 'only a small number' of Celts came here, how did the whole island end up speaking a Celtic language ? And what did they speak before that ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

saabsaab wrote: »
    Apparently, we are not really 'Celtic' (a bit of a catch all term anyway born in the nineteenth centuryentral europe northern India? - c) genetically. Our origins especially western Ireland seem to be more towards Spain/Basque area.
    This particular issue pops all over the place. Probably as a result of an analysis which was shown on television, some time ago.
    It was mentioned a few times in the History & Heritage forum -
    See here for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

What's your link saying Slowburner, I find it hard to understand ? :confused:

That there is in fact a likely italic-celtic origin in Ireland... or not ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

bolgios wrote: »
    We talk of Celtic tigers, Celtic Nations, Celtic languages etc., but in school we learn nothing about the culture from which we are supposedly descended. If we are indeed 'Celts', then who were these mysterious Celts, and where did they come from ?
    The original Celts were a group of people living in central Austria, who spoke a language called Proto-Celtic. Irish, Welsh, Breton and Cornish are called Celtic languages because they descend from this language.

The Celts spread their culture over most of Western Europe as they were the first to perfect Iron metallurgy in Europe. They physically migrated into France, Switzerland and the Czech republic and then spread their language into Britain most likely through a combination of trade and becoming local leaders. Their language then spread into Ireland from Britain via migration, with the Celts eventually becoming a small elite over the local populace.

The language spoken in Ireland prior to their arrival was most likely something "like" (and I mean this in a very vague way) Basque.

God only knows what that so-called DNA test shows. What's the Tuatha Dé Danann DNA thing supposed to be ?

God only knows what that so-called DNA test shows. What's the Tuatha Dé Danann DNA thing supposed to be ?
    So-called? It's a test of DNA, hence a DNA test.

There is also no mention of Tuatha Dé Danann DNA. (Whatever that would be)

There is, below the diagram :

I would say the Tuatha Dé Danann represent a conversion of pre-Christian deities into a seperate race. The names are cognate with that of Celtic deities in other parts of Celtic speaking Europe (Lugh --> Lugus)

Not quite Tuatha De Danann DNA, but what the hell does that quote mean ?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

so really all the gaelgoiri should be pushing for more basque language time in primary and secondary school and more funding for TgLau

Not quite Tuatha De Danann DNA, but what the hell does that quote mean ?:confused:
    It's not remotely Tuatha Dé Danann DNA. What is describing is that rather than being a tribe of people, as Irish legends and writings say, the Tuatha Dé Danann were Celtic gods. The were converted into a people or tribe by early Christian monks who wanted to downplay their divinity.

so really all the gaelgoiri should be pushing for more basque language time in primary and secondary school and more funding for TgLau
    Not that they should be pushing for anything, but there is a difference between the major culture vehicle for 1,500 years of our literature and a language family (like Basque, but not actually Basque) inferred from linguistic evidence, but with no active literary heritage.

More importantly, Irish history can be discussed without linking it to current political issues.

I suggest we forget about the Tuatha Dé Danann DNA thing.

Whatever about the Basques (whom I have no problem with - lovely people!), the people on this island until recently spoke Irish, which is a Celtic language. If they spoke (speak) a Celtic language, surely they are descended from Celts. Or am I missing something?

Enkidu that's a lot clearer thanks.

Where did this Basque stuff come from anyway?

Enkidu that's a lot clearer thanks.
    Don't mention it!
    I should say that the monks downplayed the divinity of the Tuatha Dé Dannan so that the literature about them seemed like harmless stories and not texts from a pagan religion. That is, the monks cleverly found a way to preserve the legends.

I say this because sometimes the monks are portrayed as suppressing the native religion, where as in fact they were the ones to save its literature.

Whatever about the Basques (whom I have no problem with - lovely people!), the people on this island until recently spoke Irish, which is a Celtic language. If they spoke (speak) a Celtic language, surely they are descended from Celts. Or am I missing something?
    Celtic languages passed into Ireland via the mechanisms I outlined above. Trade "Celticised" the natives of Britain, some of whom later moved to Ireland and spread the Celtic language on this island by becoming the elite of society.

Where did this Basque stuff come from anyway?
    What do you mean exactly?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Enkidu wrote: »
    It's not remotely Tuatha Dé Danann DNA. What is describing is that rather than being a tribe of people, as Irish legends and writings say, the Tuatha Dé Danann were Celtic gods. The were converted into a people or tribe by early Christian monks who wanted to downplay their divinity.

My comment by itself is taken out of context of the original thread, I was specifically in that part of comment responding to the below:
    steddyeddy wrote: »
    I always wondered about the Fir bolg and the Tuatha Dé Danann and were they based on humans or pre human species of hominid. The basque people shared the land with neanderthals for thousands of years and have myths about the basajaun who were huge hairy creatures which lived in the woods. The same could be said of legends of trolls.

The roman philosopher titus lucretius said the following about another race of humans.

I wonder could these myths about the previous inhabitants of some countries contain any truth.

As Enkidu points out I'm talking about how in the context of the "Book of Invasions" and other literature by Christian monks that the Tuatha Dé were secularised as a race of people inhabiting Ireland prior to the arrival of the Irish (The supposed "sons of Míl"). In reality members of the Tuatha Dé bears names that correspond with that of Celtic gods from the rest of Celtic Europe. The prime example is Lugh who is a reflex of proto-celtic Lugus

Tbh there is no proof that Basque is a descendant of language of Mesolithic Europeans. It's a language isolate in a sea of Indo-European languages. As a result this lends itself to concept that it's always been there.

If you look at the whole genome Basques are quite distinctive, they along with Sardinians are obviously quite old populations that have undergone isolation from surrounding populations. One could argue that both of these populations show heavy influence from Neolithic period. This is born out by the fact that Otzi the Iceman (Neolithic) shows strong genetic connection to Sardinians.

iceman_genome.jpg

euro-clustering.jpg

bootstrap.png

pca.png

• Advertisement

With respect, where exactly is this mixture of mythology, Basques, 'hairy creatures who lived in the woods', and pseudo-DNA studies supposed to lead us?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

With respect, where exactly is this mixture of mythology, Basques, 'hairy creatures who lived in the woods', and pseudo-DNA studies supposed to lead us?
    Pseudo-DNA studies :confused:

The title of this thread is 'Who were the Celts?'.
    Genome analysis (like the study on Otzi's genome) is probably one of the most powerful tools available today for mapping the movement and settlement of distinct populations.

It's not simple stuff, but it's well worthwhile making the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

I don't see what is pseudo about it. All of the above is from actual published research papers. For example:

Origins and Genetic Legacy of Neolithic Farmers and Hunter-Gatherers in Europe
    Pontus Skoglund(1,*), Helena Malmström(1), Maanasa Raghavan(2), Jan Storå(3), Per Hall()4, Eske Willerslev(2), M. Thomas P. Gilbert(2), Anders Götherström (1,5,*,†,) Mattias Jakobsson(1,5,*,†)
    1. Department of Evolutionary Biology, Evolutionary Biology Centre, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden.
    2. Centre for GeoGenetics, Natural History Museum of Denmark, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark.
    3. Osteoarchaeological Research Laboratory, Department of Archaeology and Classical Studies, Stockholm University, Stockholm, Sweden.
    4. Department of Medical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden.
    5. Science for Life Laboratory, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden.

ABSTRACT

The farming way of life originated in the Near East some 11,000 years ago and had reached most of the European continent 5000 years later. However, the impact of the agricultural revolution on demography and patterns of genomic variation in Europe remains unknown. We obtained 249 million base pairs of genomic DNA from ~5000-year-old remains of three hunter-gatherers and one farmer excavated in Scandinavia and find that the farmer is genetically most similar to extant southern Europeans, contrasting sharply to the hunter-gatherers, whose distinct genetic signature is most similar to that of extant northern Europeans. Our results suggest that migration from southern Europe catalyzed the spread of agriculture and that admixture in the wake of this expansion eventually shaped the genomic landscape of modern-day Europe.

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/336/6080/466.abstract
    In our genomic analyses, the Scandinavian Neolithic hunter-gatherers (PWC) have a genetic profile that is not fully represented by any sampled contemporary population (Fig. 1), and may thus constitute a gene pool that is no longer intact or that no longer exists. While the origin of the Neolithic hunter-gatherers is contentious, the similar mtDNA haplogroup composition of PWC individuals (8) (Table 1) and Mesolithic- and Paleolithic individuals (7, 29) indicate some continuity with earlier European populations, but resolving this hypothesis will require pre-Neolithic genomic data.

skoglund.png

The 5000 year old neolithic farmer that was tested in the above study was closest genetically to the Basques. This points to the Basques being connected to the spread of agriculture. People keep saying that the Irish are basically Basques that adopted a Celtic language and thus aren't really Celts. I don't believe this, especially given the apparent mass replacement of Male lineages (only 10-20% of Irish men are potentially descended from Mesolithic/Neolithic male population).

In the case of Ireland, 80% of Irish men carry a marker on their Y-Chromosome called L21. This is at most 4,000 years old (2,000BC). It originated more then likely on the continent, the evidence pointing to Eastern France/Western Germany. All men who carry L21 are descended from the first man born with this marker.

This points to a massive population replacement on male lineages in Ireland due to population inflow from the continent during the Bronze/Iron ages. With regards to Celtic languages people doing language reconstruction often date the split between Irish, Welsh and Gaulish as before 1,000BC. The Urnfield and Atlantic Bronze age cultures are regarded by some as Proto-Celtic these date from period 1,200BC - 800BC.

Here is a map of modern distribution of L21

Haplogroup-R1b-L21.gif

It's highest concentration is in areas that are (or were till recently) Celtic speaking. It also shows high concentration in areas such as those which were formerly occupied by the Gauls and the Celt-Iberians. It's brother marker U152/S28 (they belong to same branch of R1b -- P312) has more of a distribution in eastern France/Switzerland/Northern Italy. Some have argued its distribution is due to the spread of La Tene material culture in the period after 300BC.

Haplogroup-R1b-S28.gif

Many thanks for that superb post Dubhthach, and my apologies for the confusion caused by quoting you out of context.

dubhthach wrote: »
    Tbh there is no proof that Basque is a descendant of language of Mesolithic Europeans. It's a language isolate in a sea of Indo-European languages. As a result this lends itself to concept that it's always been there.
    True, however it's certainly Pre-Indo-European. It's also probably not the descendent of the language of the first farmers, since that was almost certainly Afro-Asiatic. Hence the most likely scenario is that it is descended from the language of some Mesolithic group. Of course there is a chance that it was the language of some Neolithic group that came with the first farmers, but which were not the first farmers themselves.

Either way it's Pre-Indo-European and hence part of what we call "Old Europe", before the horse, chariot and herding.

Thanks. Could I just ask that any DNA evidence be accompanied by references to where it came from? There's a lot of 'DNA evidence' out there, not all of it serious.

dubhthach wrote: »
    Origins and Genetic Legacy of Neolithic Farmers and Hunter-Gatherers in Europe
    Pontus Skoglund(1,*), Helena Malmström(1), Maanasa Raghavan(2), Jan Storå(3), Per Hall()4, Eske Willerslev(2), M. Thomas P. Gilbert(2), Anders Götherström (1,5,*,†,) Mattias Jakobsson(1,5,*,†)

1. Department of Evolutionary Biology, Evolutionary Biology Centre, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden.
    2. Centre for GeoGenetics, Natural History Museum of Denmark, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark.
    3. Osteoarchaeological Research Laboratory, Department of Archaeology and Classical Studies, Stockholm University, Stockholm, Sweden.
    4. Department of Medical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden.
    5. Science for Life Laboratory, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden.
    The references are quite clear.

That's fascinating. So in fact, my Irish husband may well have descended from people not far removed from my ancestors (I'm French, no idea what's in our genes, but we're the brown haired brown eyed reasonably shallow skin types, with that Southern mark in our lower backs :P).

In case of Ireland 80% of Irish men carry a maker on their Y-Chromosome called L21. This is at most 4,000 years old (2,000BC) it originated more then likely on the continent, the evidence pointing to Eastern France/Western Germany.

In that case we are talking specifically about the Belgae branch of the Celts.

• Advertisement

That's fascinating. So in fact, my Irish husband may well have descended from people not far removed from my ancestors (I'm French, no idea what's in our genes, but we're the brown haired brown eyed reasonably shallow skin types, with that Southern mark in our lower backs :P).
    Qué?

Advertisement