Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swords CC Club League

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

That's me bollixed next week. I don't even have my A3 numbers yet. I'd say Martyn Irvine is ****ting himself!

No, that's you bollixed this evening, bucko. Don't pretend to be one of us mere mortals in A4's when it suits you. You're no longer welcome in our A4 club ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Hungrycol wrote: »
    No, that's you bollixed this evening, bucko. Don't pretend to be one of us mere mortals in A4's when it suits you. You're no longer welcome in our A4 club ;).

I will have to wave my flag in a scratch group-appropriate manner so ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

I will have to wave my flag in a scratch group-appropriate manner so ;)

Both hands on the handlebars at all times please, save for winning gestures then it's the appropriate finger bang. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Sorry Guys...Race Cancelled! its not wet enough, too warm and sunny. to much potential for Scratch to catch the rest of us! :D

..........I'm Only Joking...Race is ON!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,308 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Got there tonight to discover someone had "promoted" me to Group 3! Now what the hell have I ever done to deserve that? Then RobFowl, who's in a faster group than me in the vets retains his Group 1 slot:eek:

Anyway, around 90 or so signed on at Ring Commons, with a relatively small Group 1 getting 5 minutes over Group 2 (I would guess 20+ in that group) and a further 3 minutes over us (with possibly 30 or so)

The pace was fast, averaging 39kph for the first two laps. The group was too large to get a lot of rhythm going, but most seemed to want to contribute when they could.

We caught group 2 on the 3rd (of 4) laps, picking the pace up further. It was now a very big group though, and when we were caught by the faster groups half way round the final lap it was getting quite hairy, with too may riders trying to position themselves somewhere near the front. Riders were spreading across the road, sometimes with cars coming in the opposite direction, and there was not much room to manouever if anything went wrong

I therefore stuck nearer the back, picking off riders as the pace picked up. Coming into the final 400m or so I was perhaps 20m back, but then there was a big crash with 2 riders down and others stopping so I stopped myself to check how everyone was - 1 rider seemed OK, although the other went off in the ambulance for a check up - hopefully he'll be OK, but he did take a nasty tumble.

We averaged 40.4kph on the final lap bringing my average to 39.4kph over the 40km or so of the race

It seems to me that we had too many riders when the groups came together. It's a problem that appears to arise early on in the season, and I understand that consideration may be given to restricting numbers until things settle down a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

Went with G4 which was combined with 6 scratch riders, there must have been 25+ of us. Like G3, most wanted to work when they could but the scratch lads were too strong for a lot of us. Paul Kennedy was a class above everybody else, and practically dragged us around for half of every lap. Average speed was 40.4kmh which was slow by last years fastest average of 42, but tonight felt much faster. Too many of us on the road when we caught G3, but there's no easy answer that doesnt involve more volunteers.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 clashextra

Paul Kennedy was the one who went off in the ambulance looking pretty shook up but hopefully he'll be alright. The other lad was Shane Wheritty; he went down right in front of me and I really thought he was a gonner because of the pace of the bunch at that point, but he was up and walking around and appeared ok.
    Felt like kissing my brakes when all had settled!! Skidded to a halt behind Shane and was nearly over the handlebars with the suddenness of it all and then braced myself for someone to come crashing into me.
    Too many contesting the gallop just as the road narrowed after the bend but that's the way it goes sometimes.
    Other than that, great racing from everyone involved.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,308 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

One option is to leave that circuit until a bit later in the season after the initial surge in racers. 50-60 is probably OK, but 80-90 with a large proportion coming together on the narrow back roads seems too many to me

The Garristown and Corduff courses are much better at spreading everyone out because of the hills. Corduff has wider roads, with the option of finishing on the hill. It could also accomodate DMSs (Bog of the Ring is probably too short for DMSs). The problem with Corduff is it's such a long circuit that nearly 3 laps (if finishing on the hill) is too long for this time in the season - it would probably be dark by the time everyone gets back to their cars. We are due to finish on the flat next week though and it will be interesting to see how much daylight is left

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

Enjoyed my 1st race, put into group 3, I said my 1st race didn't I. That was by far the fastest I've ever cycled, I now know what chewing the handle bars really feels like. Lap 1 was a shock to the system but after finishing lap 2, I felt good. When the groups came together on the last lap and the scratch group seemed to squeeze past a non exsisting gap on the left I found myself at the back of a very large group. Never got near the front for the gallop so missed the crash, just seen the atermath. Came in around 30-40th, a great experience, I'm still amazed at the skill and bottle of the stratch group as they passed us heading towards the Naul Road. Well done to all concerned for the organising and marshalling of tonights race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

i joined Beasty in group 3 big enough group to stay away if we got the up and overs going and i have to say we gave it a good go,i rode me little nuts off i went from the line riding through until we were caught by group 4 with a little bit more effort we could have stayed clear but it was a hard fast race and i gave it my all so no complaints
    The run into the finish was fast and hairy some body did a turn going across the bog road that was savage (think it was Paul K ) i was well placed in the top 15 or so but when a bike spun across the road in front of me a had to come to almost a dead stop as some one said i was glad my brakes were working so well, not sure if i made the top 10
    A real good work out that will stand to me come Sunday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

greenmat wrote: »
    Enjoyed my 1st race, put into group 3
    Well done mate did i see you at the front a few times before we were caught

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

Well done mate did i see you at the front a few times before we were caught
    Did more than I should have on lap 3, felt good but just got caught behind a wall of cyclists. Was at my limit at that stage, pleased I could stay with group 3 for 95% of the race, learned a lot but so much more to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Serious Amount of calamaties last night

Started off with my car breaking down on the M1 between junction 5 & 6 decided to abandon it and cycle up the M1 , no point missing the race,at this stage it was 18:40 so was worried I'd miss the sign on , sprinting up the M1 is not that much fun , then coming down a lane got chased by dogs , more sprinting !

Went with group 3 , really enjoyed the pace, when long socks came up the right shouting move move move I took the chance to jump on his wheel and ended up the top of the group with the scratch/G4 lads for the rest of the final lap. The pace was fairly insane.

Was nicely placed for the sprint finish when the lad in front of me hit the gravel off the road and bounced off into a grass bank and then back onto the road, had to quickly grind to a halt then and kind of bunny hop over the guys mangled wheel.

Ended up in top 15 so happy enough with that for first race of the season.

Thanks to organisers and Marshals and a big thanks to the God of weather.

Beasty wrote: »
    One option is to leave that circuit until a bit later in the season after the initial surge in racers. 50-60 is probably OK, but 80-90 with a large proportion coming together on the narrow back roads seems too many to me

Or allow visitors in the limit or scratch groups but not in the oversubscribed middle groups, unless you're a lady or junior/u16.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Or allow visitors in the limit or scratch groups but not in the oversubscribed middle groups, unless you're a lady or junior/u16.
    That's a bloody good idea! You should run it past de committee

Anyone know who wore no. 94 last night? He placed 6th but never identified himself to Joe at the finish. If we can't identify him I get his points! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Anyone know who wore no. 94 last night? He placed 6th but never identified himself to Joe at the finish. If we can't identify him I get his points! :D

It was me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Did you get Noel Thompson's name? I watched the finish and he was 6th or thereabouts.

Oh wait, I was marshalling.

This should be a requirement for all new comers or less experienced folk. Maybe even some people who think they know it all... like meself.

https://sites.google.com/site/swordscc/club-announcements/circuitintro-corduffcircuit-tuesdaymay8th

I heard some reports of dreadful riding. Lots of careless switching and people trying to move up from 80th place for the sprint in the last 500 meters.

• Advertisement

Raam wrote: »
    This should be a requirement for all new comers or less experienced folk. Maybe even some people who think they know it all... like meself.

https://sites.google.com/site/swordscc/club-announcements/circuitintro-corduffcircuit-tuesdaymay8th

I heard some reports of dreadful riding. Lots of careless switching and people trying to move up from 80th place for the sprint in the last 500 meters.

Last nights circuit is simply too narrow/short to cater for the number of riders who signed on. When all the groups came together on the 3rd lap it got a bit "Hairy" at times. We will be reviewing this at the next committee meeting on the 14th.

Many thanks to all the Marshals, it wasn't easy with that number of riders!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,730 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Raam wrote: »

I am a newcomer, and I thought I had an idea of whats acceptable and what's not, but when the bunches came together it really seemed a free for all with people cutting me up and squeezing me at will. I went on the introductory spin for the cancelled race, and it certainly doesn't provide any preparation for the mayhem of a huge bunch on a narrow country road, it merely gives you an idea of the route, which is certainly helpful.

Inquitus wrote: »
    I am a newcomer, and I thought I had an idea of whats acceptable and what's not, but when the bunches came together it really seemed a free for all with people cutting me up and squeezing me at will. I went on the introductory spin for the cancelled race, and it certainly doesn't provide any preparation for the mayhem of a huge bunch on a narrow country road, it merely gives you an idea of the route, which is certainly helpful.

If I am out next Tuesday, I'll punch you in the ribs so as to recreate the scenario.

07Lapierre wrote: »

Mystery Rider Identified...thanks.

One of the problems was they got the handicapping pretty much spot-on. Unfortunately when it came together too may riders wanted to be near the front for the final half lap or so, meaning we were spreading all over the road

When we were going down the final straight before Ring Commons a lot of riders were starting to struggle to keep up (I was doing 50-55kph for quite a lot of that section), making it easier to move up, but there was still a wall of riders ahead and there was absolutely no point in getting involved - unfortunately that's where the crash occured, as they were gearing up for the final sprint

Any rider who is caught (by photo or marshal) crossing the white line, should be required to marshal one additional race before they are allowed to race again.

Good luck finding a white line on the Bogiddaring though :rolleyes:

16 uploads on Strava so far - just need data from RobFowl's epic 2-man break and Glennamaddy's white-line dancing and then I'll scrutinise them to establish who been telling porkies about which side of the road they were on;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Did you get Noel Thompson's name? I watched the finish and he was 6th or thereabouts.

Spot on. I had the camera in machine gun mode for the finish and he's 6th over the line.

Beasty wrote: »
    16 uploads on Strava so far - just need data from RobFowl's epic 2-man break and Glennamaddy's

Didn't switch it on, just in case I got dropped, and would have to admit to it :D

• Advertisement

I have the official results from Joe, Noel is down as 7th?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement