Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Rovi wrote: »
    Also, I've found through bitter experience that hydrodare breaks down over time and allows current to leak off to earth. :(

God I didn't realise that Rovi. Is it the voltage going through it that causes it to break down? Had you the ends of the hydradare bent in a hoop to stop the water getting in?

p4180054.jpg

p4180058.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

Muckit wrote: »
    i just put my weelbarrow under mine and off i go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

leg wax wrote: »
    i just put my weelbarrow under mine and off i go.
    we put one end in back of jeep and some one carries the other end

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Request for something to gunter !!
    Folks.. i'm looking for some spring tines, light ones, length wouldn't matter. I'm looking to fab a detacher for my lawn... Are sets for haybobs and the like dear?
    If you know a cheap source please let me know....

Cheers...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I just use plastic 200L barrels cut lengthways, I can fire about 6 of them into the back of the jeep, nice and light too. I have two holes cut in the end with a piece of twine threaded through them, piece of insulator tube on the twine for a handle. Them troughs are only scrap!

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Firstly can I say that I am not for one minute laying claim to being the originator of this handy tip, it was someone on F&F that I got the tip from in the first place, can't remember who..... blue5000 possibly?

Anyhow I tried it last night and thought it was genius!.... so I said I'd post for everyone's benefit........

You can buy the roll of undergate cabling, but it's expensive and alot of them, unless you buy the known brands, are of dubious quality and will rust quickly, creating poor contacts. A piece of HT wire treaded through hydrodare pipe is the way to go, and is widely used by fencing contractors. But how to get it through successfully, especially on a long run? (the length I did was ~35') The end of the wire can start to curl inside in the pipe and dig in..:mad:

I got a 25mm tec screw and tied a length of polywire to it, then covered the treads with insulating tape. I then fired up the compressor and shot the screw up the tube using an air hose. You need the pressure high, the hydradare straight and the tec screw (or similar) needs to be close to the diameter of the pipe (so that it's like a bullet going up a gun barrel ;))

Once the polywire is through, lap (no knots) the HT wire about 12" with the polywire and joint them together with insulating tape or duct tape.

Tie the other end of the HT wire to something solid and pull the polywire and the HT wire throught the pipe ..... :D Happy days

often did something similar with a vacum and an old plastic shopping bagworks a treat

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

made a yoke for moving gates for a farmer,he farms by himself so wanted something for moving gates around for herding cows in the yard,when testing etc. it has a piece of angle iron 2ft with a wheel at each end,a small bit of box iron in middle of this to set spud of gate into and two pieces of angle that go straight up from this.small bit of flat welded at back. this is sort of a cradle around gate,simply lift one end of gate into it,gate will lie back on flat,put bolt through front and simply lift other end and push/pull gate. it will also allow the gate to stand up right.simples:confused::D

Dupont wrote: »
    made a yoke for moving gates for a farmer,he farms by himself so wanted something for moving gates around for herding cows in the yard,when testing etc. it has a piece of angle iron 2ft with a wheel at each end,a small bit of box iron in middle of this to set spud of gate into and two pieces of angle that go straight up from this.small bit of flat welded at back. this is sort of a cradle around gate,simply lift one end of gate into it,gate will lie back on flat,put bolt through front and simply lift other end and push/pull gate. it will also allow the gate to stand up right.simples:confused::D

Good idea, any photo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

Good idea, any photo?

no will take one next time im down,if i remember

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Rovi wrote: »
    Also, I've found through bitter experience that hydrodare breaks down over time and allows current to leak off to earth.
    God I didn't realise that Rovi. Is it the voltage going through it that causes it to break down? Had you the ends of the hydradare bent in a hoop to stop the water getting in?
    Only just getting back to this, sorry for overlooking it! :o

For years here in the early days of electric fencers, wire was 'insulated' from the stake with bits of 1/2" hydrodare either slid onto the wire when it was going up, or split along their length and slipped over the wire, and stapled on with conventional staples.
    Gaps were bridged either underground with bare wire strung through buried 1/2" hydrodare or overhead with single core insulated domestic wiring.
    This 'worked' about as well as anything else at the time, and no-one knew any better anyway.

Over the years, the length of fence grew longer and the fencers evolved from battery units to various 'modern' mains units.
    In the early '80s, we embarked on putting the grazing land into a proper 21-day paddocks system (all done with h-frame strainers! :rolleyes:), and all this too was done with hydrodare.

It was a constant battle to keep the fence in order, as any bit of an earth anywhere would drop the current to the point where the fence was ineffective.

Sometime in the early '90s, we got the FRS in to fence around the silage fields and a few of the paddocks.
    Our eyes were opened to how a fence could be put up, and on the use of proper materials!:eek::eek::eek:

Besides now having proper insulators and underground cable in the newly fenced sections, we also installed the biggest fencer unit we could get at the time, a Cheta G303. 30 Joules of lightening in a box :D
    Along with the first proper earth system we'd ever installed (10 x 5 foot galvanised rods in a damp patch), this gave us a fence that struck fear into both man and beast!

It also showed up the deficiencies in the old sections of fence!
    It blasted through the old hydrodare 'insulators' as if they weren't there, giving us a sparkly light show around the paddocks at night and sound effects that the lads at the ploughing match with their electrocuted potato demonstration would be proud of.
    It was comical how bad it was :D

Now, in fairness, most of the old hydrodare was years (or even decades!) of age and had been exposed to whatever weather the Irish climate had thrown at it over that time, so perhaps we shouldn't have expected too much of it, but even new hydrodare only survived a season or so against the new fencer unit.
    I was told at the time that hydrodare contains carbon to make it nice and black, and that this quickly allowed the powerful fencer unit to make its way through it to earth.
    Certainly, it all got replaced with modern materials over the following few years and we never had problems with earth leakage to the stakes again.

At this stage, we didn't trust the buried hydrodare either, so we pulled modern high tensile insulated wire through it and it then served merely as conduit.

Does anyone know what material permanent fence insulators are made from? This site seems to imply that the are LDPE which is what hydrodare is made from.....
    http://www.beattieinsulators.co.nz/aboutus.aspx

Does anyone know what material permanent fence insulators are made from? This site seems to imply that the are LDPE which is what hydrodare is made from.....
    http://www.beattieinsulators.co.nz/aboutus.aspx

I spent a good while on contract maintenance in a plastics moulding company.. While they may have the same base product neither are likely to be pure LDPE..

I'd guess the hydrodare has an agent added to allow long extrusion runs where the insulators would be pressed to a high density and possibly even have a hardening agent added.. The insulators could be twice as dense due to the injection force and also probably have a UV stabilizer added.. The hydrodare mightnt have a UV stabilizer as it would be more likely buried or out of the sun..
    Just general info, I'm maintenance rather than process engineer :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Attie

bbam wrote: »
    I spent a good while on contract maintenance in a plastics moulding company.. While they may have the same base product neither are likely to be pure LDPE..

I'd guess the hydrodare has an agent added to allow long extrusion runs where the insulators would be pressed to a high density and possibly even have a hardening agent added.. The insulators could be twice as dense due to the injection force and also probably have a UV stabilizer added.. The hydrodare mightnt have a UV stabilizer as it would be more likely buried or out of the sun..
    Just general info, I'm maintenance rather than process engineer :rolleyes:

I'd go with this also. Put in a system with Gallagher Power Fencing 30 years ago was kinda expensive at the time but with care it has served well rotting posts let it down but lot's of it still going.
    In those days the insulators on the corner posts were like an egg the chap who showed us how to put the system together said they could stand a 50 ton pull took him at his word as no way to test this up to that pressure but could stand one hell of a pull.

http://www.gallagherireland.com/fence_components.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Folks.. i'm looking for some spring tines, light ones, length wouldn't matter. I'm looking to fab a detacher for my lawn... Are sets for haybobs and the like dear?

Cheers...
    I bought a detatcher/scarifier in the local lawnmower shop last year (€27).just fit it place of the blade.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭emaherx

aujopimur wrote: »
    I bought a detatcher/scarifier in the local lawnmower shop last year (€27).just fit it place of the blade.

In place of the blade of what??? Push Lawnmower? Do you have a pic/ more of a discription?

Cheers...

Haybob tines have one long leg and one short, so you would need to cut the long one down ?

How about tines from a baler? (would be very light compared to Haybob tines)

Was thinking of something similar myself

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

emaherx wrote: »
    In place of the blade of what??? Push Lawnmower? Do you have a pic/ more of a discription?
    It replaces the cutting blade on a petrol mower,it's like the cutting blade but has a spring tine on each end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭emaherx

Ah, thats a bit small scale for me.

I need to mow my lawn with a tractor, but thanks anyway.

emaherx wrote: »

Haybob tines have one long leg and one short, so you would need to cut the long one down ?

Yea, that's the plan...

I'm looking to build one to run behind the mower when I'm not collecting the grass...

The scarifier blade for the lawnmower is too hard on the lawn.. I'm looking for something that will pull up some moss/thatch but not rip out loads of grass.. It's more of a maintenance tool than a remedy to a bad mossy lawn, my lawn is new enough, there is some thatch but no moss as of yet..

I can get 15 double tines on e-bay delivered for €50... Suppose another €20 would throw it together... That's half price of a commercial one and it would have much stronger tines...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

The last time I bought Haybob tines they were €1.50 each. As said already, one leg is longer than the other and there is a left and a right side. They are pretty inflexible. The tines on a baler pick-up are much more subtle and both legs are the same. I don't know what they cost though.

keep going wrote: »
    often did something similar with a vacum and an old plastic shopping bagworks a treat

You'd be more of a sucker than a blower then?

p4270066o.jpg

p4270068.jpg

This is a frame that I'm making for a secure box for my portable fencer. It will be mounted on a galvanised pole that is drove 8-10' into the ground and will also act as the earth. The 'skin' of the box will be an old tin box for suspension files. The box will be electrified, so it will insulated from the pole .... more pics to follow after some more guntering....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Great Idea Muckit! You should sell them.
    How do you turn the fence on and off without getting a shock?

p4270081.jpg

Didn't know where to stick this pic so said I'd stick it in here ;)
    The tail lights on trailer weren't coming on so opened the plug. Now that's one tasty wiring job and testament to the quality of Aerlite trailers.

Eventually sussed it to be oxidation on the pins. A rub of sandpaper and a fiddle with the screwdriver all as good as new ;)

pakalasa wrote: »
    Great Idea Muckit! You should sell them.
    How do you turn the fence on and off without getting a shock?

Once I place the fencer in the box and turn it on, I won't go near it til next October. The fence will be turned off by a forcefield breaker switch underneath the box. The box will remain electrified and locked though :D The power to this will be turned off by a keyed switch ;) ....well that's the plan.

A bit of work, but sure it keeps me out of the pub!

Here's my Anti Backing Bar. I welded it up from scrap. It took a few hours mind you.
    I used it today for the first time. These are a great job. It keeps them very tight in the crush. Ideal when you are injecting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭josephsoap

pakalasa wrote: »
    Here's my Anti Backing Bar. I welded it up from scrap. It took a few hours mind you.
    I used it today for the first time. Great job. It keeps them very tight in the crush. Ideal when you are injecting them.

Tidy looking bar there...what does stop the cow from pushing it back though?

josephsoap wrote: »
    ...what does stop the cow from pushing it back though?
    You would think it would slide back, but the cattle push it back off centre so it kind of levers back side ways and grips on the bar. The distance between the flat bars is about 2mm wider than the round bar of the crush. The top part just stops it falling in. It doesn't grip it really. All the gripping is done on the lower part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Johnsey

Nice job pak! Just wondering what you need to do to allow the next batch of cattle past the bar. Would you not have been better leaving off the two pieces of flat at the top and allowing the bar to tilt back up and allow cattle past and then knock it down behind them again ? Or am I way off and missing something?

Advertisement