Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser Eye Surgery - the best place & procedure

Options
  • 26-08-2011 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, so probably been thinking about this for most of my life, had a consultation last year and I am pretty much suitable for any method.

So is there really a difference with all the different places you can go to?
    I want the best of treatment and I don't care about price.

So who is the best surgeon to get, best location, best service while going through procedure, best aftercare service. I want to get the best procedure and don't care if it takes loger to recover after, i want the safest and most effective method.

Are these Eye clinics such as Optilase and Optical Express really any good or should I be going somewhere like the Blackrock Clinic?

The way I'm looking at it is that I've been scared to go through it for so long, cause I didn't want to be the one person in a million who goes wrong, and I dont like the stories I have heard about having dry eye forever after. So my consultation gave me comfort regarding dry eye so not as worried about that anymore, but I just want the best surgeon to do this cause it is not as if I can go in and get me a new set of eyes if there are any complications after!

So I'm not looking for recomendations from people who have had it done in every possible place in the land, but rather a definitave answer as to where the best, most comfortable and safest place is to do it, and preferably the best surgeons name, along with the best procedure possible

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marieky21

I would highly recommend Professor Michael OKeeffe in the Mater private an excellent service he provides. €120 consultation fee and I had the Lasek procedure done and it was €1535 per eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭veritable

marieky21 wrote: »
    I would highly recommend Professor Michael OKeeffe in the Mater private an excellent service he provides. €120 consultation fee and I had the Lasek procedure done and it was €1535 per eye.

Marieky21

Do you work for the Mater Hospital? You just registered today and all of your 3 posts have been basically advertising this company. this is embarrassing for your company. That's not what this site is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭lagente

veritable wrote: »
    Marieky21

Do you work for the Mater Hospital? You just registered today and all of your 3 posts have been basically advertising this company. this is embarrassing for your company. That's not what this site is for.

I hope he isn't. All the threads have been hijacked by advertisers, because this is BIG BUSINESS. lots of money to be made, immorally.

Yeh, 3 posts, all about the one place, looks like it

No I do not work or the Mater hospital i had a great experience with them and I was only trying to share it with other people to let them know how good the hospital are. I joined yesterday as I taught my advice might be of some help as I have used this website before I had my surgery but this will be my last time to post up anything as I feel my advice was taken out of context. I was only trying to share my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

No I do not work or the Mater hospital i had a great experience with them and I was only trying to share it with other people to let them know how good the hospital are. I joined yesterday as I taught my advice might be of some help as I have used this website before I had my surgery but this will be my last time to post up anything as I feel my advice was taken out of context. I was only trying to share my experience.

Sniff sniff...I can smell the shill...:rolleyes:
    This forum has a long and proud history of newly registered posters either singing the praises of a particular surgery provider or telling posters the surgery is unsafe.
    Frankly I'm surprised the Mater seems to have stooped to this as I had considered it very reputable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭kingelmo

stevieob wrote: »
    Ok, so probably been thinking about this for most of my life, had a consultation last year and I am pretty much suitable for any method.

So is there really a difference with all the different places you can go to?
    I want the best of treatment and I don't care about price.

So who is the best surgeon to get, best location, best service while going through procedure, best aftercare service. I want to get the best procedure and don't care if it takes loger to recover after, i want the safest and most effective method.

Are these Eye clinics such as Optilase and Optical Express really any good or should I be going somewhere like the Blackrock Clinic?

The way I'm looking at it is that I've been scared to go through it for so long, cause I didn't want to be the one person in a million who goes wrong, and I dont like the stories I have heard about having dry eye forever after. So my consultation gave me comfort regarding dry eye so not as worried about that anymore, but I just want the best surgeon to do this cause it is not as if I can go in and get me a new set of eyes if there are any complications after!

So I'm not looking for recomendations from people who have had it done in every possible place in the land, but rather a definitave answer as to where the best, most comfortable and safest place is to do it, and preferably the best surgeons name, along with the best procedure possible

I got my eyes done last wednesday so 5 days ago. I had the Wavefront Intralase with lasik. I went to Newbridge in Kildare for it through Optical Express, found the whole experience very rushed. they wanted me out as fast as i went in.

I felt very sick (vomiting) after getting the eyes done and they just rushed me to the main door and home. Now i mean,they sat me up, showed me the drops and straight out the front door.

For my free consult a few weeks back they were a lovely bunch but when i went to actually get it done they were not so great.

As for after care, the day after appt was fine just checked my eyes but i cant tell you anymore as of yet!!

20:20 vision the following day so happy days.. DO NOT read anything on the net, you will just freak yourself out and there is no need for it.

Give me a PM if you have any other questions im happy to help

kingelmo wrote: »
    I got my eyes done last wednesday so 5 days ago. I had the Wavefront Intralase with lasik. I went to Newbridge in Kildare for it through Optical Express, found the whole experience very rushed. they wanted me out as fast as i went in.

I felt very sick (vomiting) after getting the eyes done and they just rushed me to the main door and home. Now i mean,they sat me up, showed me the drops and straight out the front door.

For my free consult a few weeks back they were a lovely bunch but when i went to actually get it done they were not so great.

As for after care, the day after appt was fine just checked my eyes but i cant tell you anymore as of yet!!

20:20 vision the following day so happy days.. DO NOT read anything on the net, you will just freak yourself out and there is no need for it.

Give me a PM if you have any other questions im happy to help

How much did they charge you? It seems extortionist for the amount of time it takes to do their job.

lagente wrote: »
    How much did they charge you? It seems extortionist for the amount of time it takes to do their job.

ah its a crazy amount of money for the lenght of time that your actually in there for. My vision was -5.25 and -5.50 and cost me over €3500!!:eek:

ah its a crazy amount of money for the lenght of time that your actually in there for. My vision was -5.25 and -5.50 and cost me over €3500!!:eek:
    thanks.
    it is criminal what they are all charging, a monopoly perhaps. its only a fraction of this cost in somewhat poorer countries.
    Did you vomit? or just feel bad?
    would you do it again?
    any glare problems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

murrayp4 wrote: »
    Sniff sniff...I can smell the shill...:rolleyes:
    This forum has a long and proud history of newly registered posters either singing the praises of a particular surgery provider or telling posters the surgery is unsafe.
    Frankly I'm surprised the Mater seems to have stooped to this as I had considered it very reputable

To be honest, I doubt anyone working in the Mater has the time or the inclination to be shilling on boards.

• Advertisement

lagente wrote: »
    thanks.
    it is criminal what they are all charging, a monopoly perhaps. its only a fraction of this cost in somewhat poorer countries.
    Did you vomit? or just feel bad?
    would you do it again?
    any glare problems?

well it is a lot of money, but if it works properly and you get years out of it then i think myself its worth it.
    i was vomiting after it but i wouldnt mind that i have a dodgy stomach anyway, and when they lie you on the table they put the top of the table/seat thing to the floor so your legs are up in the air (so id prob say thats why i was sick)

To be honest, when i came out of surgery i was like,"no way in hell would i get that done ever again" but im currently 8 days with 20:20 vision and its honestly amazing. I guess every surgery has some degree of pain/discomfort. It did not hurt it was just very uncomfortable.

First few days i had very dry eyes, and as for night driving there were halo's on car lights and street lights sparkeled. but thats only for healing period, its after calming down alot over the past 3 nights and i have very little glare/night vision problems.

But as i said its different for every person, had my 1 week check up yesterday and my flap that was created is fully healed/closed over, finished all the drops/antibiotics,no more goggles(thank god), i can start rubbing my eyes again, and basically go back to normal.

Are you thinking of getting it done?

well it is a lot of money, but if it works properly and you get years out of it then i think myself its worth it.
    i was vomiting after it but i wouldnt mind that i have a dodgy stomach anyway, and when they lie you on the table they put the top of the table/seat thing to the floor so your legs are up in the air (so id prob say thats why i was sick)

To be honest, when i came out of surgery i was like,"no way in hell would i get that done ever again" but im currently 8 days with 20:20 vision and its honestly amazing. I guess every surgery has some degree of pain/discomfort. It did not hurt it was just very uncomfortable.

First few days i had very dry eyes, and as for night driving there were halo's on car lights and street lights sparkeled. but thats only for healing period, its after calming down alot over the past 3 nights and i have very little glare/night vision problems.

But as i said its different for every person, had my 1 week check up yesterday and my flap that was created is fully healed/closed over, finished all the drops/antibiotics,no more goggles(thank god), i can start rubbing my eyes again, and basically go back to normal.

Are you thinking of getting it done?

i would, but at that price, not a hope in Hell. Something needs to be done about the whole laser-eye scene. every single place in Ireland is, and will continue to extort people.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭SparklersJo

DO NOT read anything on the net, you will just freak yourself out and there is no need for it.

Definitely good advice! It's something if you want done, you just have to go do it! And don't be worrying about all the scare stories you'll see online.
    It did not hurt it was just very uncomfortable

I had it done 2 years ago in Optical Express in Newbridge. I got Lasek and couldn't be happier with the outcome. That's not to say that the procedure wasn't the most uncomfortable experience of my life! Coz it was! It feels like a very invasive procedure. But it only lasted about 10mins, and it's totally worth it for the results. I would do it 10times over. You'll be fine after and won't have much pain if you're not stupid about it. I went straight home and had all the curtains pulled in the house for about 2days, no reading, no tv or computer. It can be boring. But the more you rest your eyes at the start, the quicker they will get better, and I noticed major improvement on the first day.

I thought they were all nice and friendly in there, except for my actual surgeon (whose name escapes me now), but the nurses and everyone else were so nice they made up for it. And my aftercare has been thorough and accommodating.

I occassionally have dry eyes when I wake up in the morning and my eyes are very hot, but as I say, for the results it yields, I will put up with it. I HATED wearing glasses!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 lahinch_lass

Just a note about the Mater private.. a couple of colleagues of mine at work had their eyes done there, as did my aunt. They all praise them to the heights, only complaint is the fact you'd to go all the way back up there for all the check-ups (I'm in Clare). They do seem to be risk averse as well in that they'll never recommend getting both eye's done together. In fact my aunt had Lasik in one eye, and Lasek in the other.. though that was around the time the newer operation was coming in.

Personally I'm going to optical express as at least I've the option of Cork for the check-ups even through I'm getting the op in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

DO NOT read anything on the net, you will just freak yourself out and there is no need for it.

Definitely good advice! It's something if you want done, you just have to go do it! And don't be worrying about all the scare stories you'll see

I've to be honest with you here lads, I don't agree with this mentality/advice at all.

People thinking about getting any sort of elective surgery should seriously consider all aspects before committing to getting it done.

Yes there are horror stories out there and while the vast vast vast majority of people who decide to receive the surgery will thankfully never be exposed and suffer the more severe issues, it must be considered during the thought process.

Also there are plenty of negative issues/side effects associated with the surgery (that don't come close to being a "horror story") that need also to be considered.

Research is a hugely important asset, essential if you ask me, for anyone thinking of this surgery. Knowledge is key, powerful and an asset.

I'm 4 years post op myself and the results are amazing, no major issues ever presented itself during surgery or thereafter. There are small issues that I've noticed that don't affect the quality of my life or eyesight, but are there (new) nonetheless.

It's a great surgery option, but despite the relative quickness of the surgery and recovery time, it's still a big deal.

Know all the facts and issues before you make a decision and don't "just go do it"

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭SparklersJo

Uriel. wrote: »
    I've to be honest with you here lads, I don't agree with this mentality/advice at all.
    Uriel. wrote: »
    Know all the facts and issues before you make a decision and don't "just go do it"

Well of course I don't mean someone should go into the whole thing blind (no pun intended), but most of what you read online will be horror stories. If you are considering getting this surgery, you recognize it is an elective procedure, and as with any procedure (whether elective or not), you should know there are risks associated with it. But being familiar with the risks and facts is different to scaring yourself out of it by reading all the horror stories online.

I read all about it online before I got mine done, and eventually I got sick of reading about how awful it was. I thought: the percentage of people posting online about their experiences and and saying how awful it went is tiny in comparison to how many people have gotten it done and had little to no issues. So I decided not to let the horror stories scare me. It doesn't mean I was unfamiliar with the risks and all the facts. I just think scaring yourself like that is unnecessary. I don't think you should be uneducated about it going in to it though. Ask your surgeon and optometrists as many questions as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

I also had my surgery done by Professor O'Keeffe and I can't recommend him highly enough. It's about 2 years ago, I had Lasek done, can't remember how much it cost now.

With Lasek (in the Mater) you have to leave 2 weeks between the eyes, so all in all it was about 6 weeks from start to finish. By start I mean the point where i had to stop wearing contacts to the point where I had full vision in both eyes and no pain.

Also agree with Uriel, at the end of the day it's elective surgery so it is a big deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

I had mine done four years ago at optilase, ely place, off baggott st in dublin. I had the lasik with wavefront. it cost €3k but i got 40% back in a tax rebate. lovely clean premises with helpful and experienced staff. the procedure wasnt painful just uncomfortable. my eyes were a bit stingy afterwards and its a bit of hassle for a few weeks with the night goggles and all the drops etc.

best thing i ever did and have no hesitation in recommending optilase.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭paddyjoe183

Im 24, went for the test to see if im elible for it which i was told i was. I was told that i could get the e-k or i-k, im not sure what to do. The man quoted me three different prices for the different thinks, cheapest being 1595 for both eyes and 3,495 being most expensive. My eyes are nearly both -1.5 and one is shaped like a rudby ball.....

I just hate wearing glasses....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,226 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Looks like I paid a bloody fortune then...

Got Wavefront LasIk (I think) done in Belfast 7 months ago. Cost me £4k but spread it over a few years interest free.

Had my 6 month review on Thursday and have been officially discharged and a great success story.

My wife works as a secretary to some of the eye surgeons in Altnagelvin, and they all recommended Dr Gerry Kervick at Ultralase Belfast (Allclear clinic) so when those boys recommend someone you pay attention!

My sight was pretty terrible, -6.6 and -6.75 so it was a major change for me. The surgery itself was uncomfortable, but not too bad. The first 4 hours afterwards though were very painful. My own fault though for not taking painkillers straight after the op.

Next morning I looked out the hotel window in Belfast and it felt amazing. Still a bit fuzzy and light sensitive but it felt like I could see for miles. Went for the next day follow up and was better than 20/20 already.

Had some minor issues with halo/sparkles on lights when driving at night but nothing major and it has pretty much cleared now.

Ultralase offer a lifetime guarantee too which is great. Any concerns and I can just call them up for advice and they will see me free of charge if needed. I've only called them twice, the day of the surgery I called the surgeon (he gave me his mobile number) to ask if it was OK to take painkillers, and a month or 2 later I called the clinic because I was noticing some slight blur in one eye. They advised using some eye drops for a few days and sure enough it resolved.

All in all a great investment and I'm delighted with the results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

got mine done 5 weeks ago in optilase....brilliant - was -5.75. care has been superb and i can see perfectly! just over 3k

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Hollypop

I have finally bit the bullet and called Blackrock Clinic for an appointment with Mr. Power. Just waiting for them to call me back for my initial consultation.
    Wearing glasses for 23 years now and contact lenses (dailys) for the last few years.
    Very nervous about the procedure. Glad i'll be offered valium though. :) .
    I get valium when i go to the dentist - that's how nervous i get.
    Heading to the US for a holiday in 3 weeks and would love to have it done for that.
    I will update when i get my first appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Hollypop wrote: »
    I have finally bit the bullet and called Blackrock Clinic for an appointment with Mr. Power. Just waiting for them to call me back for my initial consultation.
    Wearing glasses for 23 years now and contact lenses (dailys) for the last few years.
    Very nervous about the procedure. Glad i'll be offered valium though. :) .
    I get valium when i go to the dentist - that's how nervous i get.
    Heading to the US for a holiday in 3 weeks and would love to have it done for that.
    I will update when i get my first appointment.

I had actually forgotten about this thread and your post is a very timely reminder :)

I got the procedure done last Wednesday and guess what..... I can see again :)

So I had taken my time and researched a lot. I understand what people are saying about reading to much into horror stories but it is good to know the possible outcomes, but do remember they are few and far between.

So as i previously mentioned I got the free assessment in in optilase about a year and a half ago. I only did it because they collared me at a stand in a shopping centre one day and I only went cause it was free. They had a lot of good things to say and because of the research I had done I was able to throw lots of questions at them. They were able to assure me that I was a very suitable candidate, but then they would say that wouldn't they....they wanted my cash. What happened next I did not appreciate, the pressure to get the operation done, first by the girl who checked me, saying I would have to come in next week or else it would be ages away because they were full up and then the phone calls followed........ I didn't even have the finance then to do it and it was only information I was after.

The price they advertise of 495 per eye is absolute codology also. I'm -5.5 so that chalked it up to about 4k, going for the best they had to offer. I rang ultralase and they would not tell me any information about price until i went for a consultation with them. I always thought the law stated that you must display a price list!

In was not going to go to any place without speaking to my optician who knows me well (we happen to be old friends also). She is a very well respected optician and has held high office within the FAOI, so this was always gong to be a recommendation worth taking note of. I was ready to make the move about a month ago now so she gave me a test and checked my suitability, and described everything to me. She was able to tell me that I was producing good tears, a good indicator that I would not suffer with dry eye after.

Now her recommendation was to go to the Mater as they are the best. Alternatively the Beacon is a very good place and would be happy if I was to see anyone in either place. Lastly she said that the only person she would recommend in Blackrock clinic is Weng Lee. Enough said, I was off to the Mater to see Prof O'Keefe.

No bull when I booked my assessment, was told the price up front, €1,535 per eye plus €120 for consultation. I opted for Lasik with the Zeimer option to cut the flap (an extra €90 per eye). Again positive results after the assesment so with a similar picture from 3 opticians now I felt much more confident about getting it done, so I booked myself in there and then for the following Wednesday.

The procedure was quick and relatively painless. Because I opted for Zeimer they did both eyes the same afternoon, about 2 hours apart. The sore part was the clamp and the Zeimer because it has to suction onto your eyeball, so there is a bit of pressure, but once it is on, it only takes 20 seconds to make the cut and with the laser treatment itself, you don't feel anything but get a subtle smell of burning, a bit like singeing hair. In and out in what felt like not much more than 5 minutes. I was nervous as hell, I could have done with a packet of the valium, but the nurses were great giving words of encouragement and holding my hand! The simple stuff can make all the difference...

They give you a check over after 20 minutes or so and let you on your merry way. Off home with clear perspex patch taped over the eye, a bit blurry but by the time I went to bed I could read the time on the Sky box.. happy days. You have to put two different drops into each eye every hour till you go to bed for a minimum of 5 or 6 hours after the operation. Then it is only 4 times a day for a week after which you just use one of the drops till the bottle is empty.

I was able to drive in the next morning for the day after check and all reported good, so not back in for a week. He gave me a lube drop then to use as I felt the eyes drying out. I played golf on the Saturday so really in great shape.

The feeling in the eyes after, when they get a bit dry is best explained as if you were after sleeping the night with your contact lenses in, but the lube drop is great.

I have felt the last few days though like there was something in my right eye so went in this morning for piece of mind to get it checked. Turns out nothing I need worry about but just part of the healing process but they gave me a gel drop which helps a lot.

I have not suffered much at all from glare from tv, computer or even driving at night, maybe a slight bit, but nothing to bother me in any way. Get a small little headache at times that you might get from straining your eyes under a bright light, but close your eyes and look away and all is fine.

Need to take it handy with regards to exercise for a few weeks and no swimming, goggles at night to stop you from attacking yourself. I'm dying to be able to stick my head under the shower and let the water all over my face but am to scared in case I upset the healing.

All in all I'm one happy camper and to be honest I still am not used to the idea, I have even reached for my glasses a couple of times......... That's what wearing them for 25 years does to you. I think once the first few months has passed and it is all healed it will kick in. At the moment it is just like wearing contacts.

Best of luck to anyone getting it done and my recommendation is to talk to your own optician first, then get it done in the Mater or the Beacon. No harm in going for a free assessment in the likes of optilase, but don't get the operation done there, Mater is actually cheaper if you got bad eyesight like me!

Wow, that was a mouthful..........

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭tbeans

Great post! Thanks for putting up the information!

I'm at the research/consult stage and have a consult with Ultralase coming up in a few weeks but I will look into Maher for sure after your recommendation....

A lot of my friends have got it done with Ultralase and highly recommended it. I'm -6 in both eye so very very nervous about getting the whole thing!!

Definitely recommend Prof O'Keeffe in the mater. I am year over my lasek surgery best thing I ever got done. I am now fully discharged from the mater. I had numerous follow ups appointments for the year. Brilliant service glad I went to the mater.:D:D

Colette

tbeans wrote: »
    Great post! Thanks for putting up the information!

I'm at the research/consult stage and have a consult with Ultralase coming up in a few weeks but I will look into Maher for sure after your recommendation....

A lot of my friends have got it done with Ultralase and highly recommended it. I'm -6 in both eye so very very nervous about getting the whole thing!!

I think i was -5.75 in one eye and -5.5 in the other, so very close to you and probably every bit as nervous

My Optician friend didn't have a lot of good things to say about Optilase or Ultralase. I'm sure most of their patients are grand, but she said she looks after lots of their patients with post op complications. She also mentioned that because they are all over the place, they fly in their doctors, so you really don't know who you are getting, or when you go back, it will be someone else you deal with.

There are a good few Opticians in the Mater and I dealt with a few of them in all my visits, all very nice, but every single visit I've been there, I have met with my Surgeon Prof O'Keefe - a lot to be said for this.

I would suggest go for the free ultralase consultation but dont let them pressure you into booking an appointment to get the op done. If you are happy to go with them, then it is your choice. I dont know how much they charge because as I say, I rang them and they wouldn't give me prices until i got consultation. Just remember, even though you have to pay for the consultation, the Mater was still a cheaper option for me than Optilase.

Regarding nerves, I was probably every bit as nervous as you are, but probably the biggest nerve calmer came when I was tested for Laser suitability by 3 different people, all of whom gave similar results. This felt reassuring that I would be ok post op, so go for it with Ultralase even if you end up wanting to get it done with the Mater.

Keep us posted as to how you get on

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭tbeans

Interesting point about flying in consultants. I've just booked the free consultation with ultralase so I will post how I get on.......I like the fact that there is a lifetime guarantee but to be honest, just want to make sure that I pick the right clinic.

tbeans wrote: »
    Interesting point about flying in consultants. I've just booked the free consultation with ultralase so I will post how I get on.......I like the fact that there is a lifetime guarantee but to be honest, just want to make sure that I pick the right clinic.

I think you pretty much get that eyerywhere.. I know I got it with the Mater and Optilase also offered it. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

I wouldn't go near anyone but the Wellington or the Mater. Wouldn't go near them.

Stevie - couple of things.
    1 - I though Prof O'Keefe had retired. Obviously not!
    2 - What age bracket are you in? I just wondering how you have found it in relation to reading etc. I have been tempted to get it done for some time but I do so much close work - reading, computing etc, which ultimately causes shortsightedness in the first place, that I'm afraid the surgery wouldn't 'stick'. Also, I believe if you get the surgery you sacrifice your close sight after 42ish.

• Advertisement

Nope, Prof (that seems to be what they all call him over there) is still there, but I think I was quite lucky to have gotten to see him. Try your arm and see where you get. There was a cancelation which got me in.

I'm 35, been wearing glasses since I was about 9 or 10 and to be honest my eyesight hasn't got much worse than it was when I was about 18 or 19.

I'm an accountant and use computers a lot, so far so good. If Surgery "doesn't stick" the lifetime guarantee covers any top up required, even 10 years down the road.

Regarding you belief that surgery affects your close sight after 42ish is not true as far as I know. Natuarlly, as people get older, they may become dependent on reading glasses. This is just a natural progression of life and it may affect some people and not others. The Surgery has nothing to do with this, and it could be that you need them at 42 or 62 or never!

Advertisement