Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New trains not being commissioned?

Options

Comments

From what I've heard, the new sets have been lemons. A driver friend of mine was on one doing a test run when it caught fire underneath. It seems that the new trains were built to original spec, without the modifications which were made to the original sets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

Karsini wrote: »
    It seems that the new trains were built to original spec, without the modifications which were made to the original sets.

Sounds about right, apparently the new units are having all the accumulated modifications made to the original batch retro-actively applied in the old Heuston valeting plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Karsini wrote: »
    From what I've heard, the new sets have been lemons. A driver friend of mine was on one doing a test run when it caught fire underneath. It seems that the new trains were built to original spec, without the modifications which were made to the original sets.

Was there any major damage to the actual train involved? Surely, It could not have been bad as was the recent incident on Dublin to Galway Train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

Was there any major damage to the actual train involved? Surely, It could not have been bad as was the recent incident on Dublin to Galway Train.

Fire would be instantly suppressed by an automatic.. fire suppression system, so doubt there's be any major damage. Obviously in casual conversation to someone you'd just say there was a fire and they'll conjure their own images.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Jehuty42 wrote: »
    Fire would be instantly suppressed by an automatic.. fire suppression system, so doubt there's be any major damage. Obviously in casual conversation to someone you'd just say there was a fire and they'll conjure their own images.

How can you blindly comment like that without knowing what actual damage was caused?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Jehuty42 wrote: »
    I'd be a lot more ready to blame IE's maintenance than the build quality for issues that arise with them.

I doubt IE maintenance is the reason lots of panels have fallen off already, sounds like build quality issues to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I doubt IE maintenance is the reason lots of panels have fallen off already, sounds like build quality issues to me.
    I have noticed on several trains the panels just inside the doors with the hand rails can come away very easily when boarding or alighting the trains, I was putting this down to some of the catches not being locked properly after maintenance as often the panels are loose at the top or bottom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

devnull wrote: »
    does it really matter what we call them?
    I'd call them "immobile". I know that's an adjective rather than a noun, but it'll suffice. Isn't government abuse of public funds grand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

And will Iarnrod Eireann bring the issue up with the manufacturers or will they let let sit until its too late like what happened with the 8200 EMU sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

I imagine the subject might come up with the Rotem employees in the former Mark 3 valeting shed at Heuston?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Posts discussing a specific member of IE staff deleted. Please stay on-topic.

Irish rail's new website still say's it has a current fleet of 177 intercity railcars.

Have the six other railcars which were already repaired by Rotem gone back to service yet? I do understand that they are back with Irish rail for a few weeks now.

They would probably come into service with the other new railcars IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Maybe its a good idea for Iarnrod Eireann not to commission these new units. In a couple of years time they could be stripped down for spares for the rest of the fleet. :p

Irish rail's new website still say's it has a current fleet of 177 intercity railcars.

Have the six other railcars which were already repaired by Rotem gone back to service yet? I do understand that they are back with Irish rail for a few weeks now.

They would probably come into service with the other new railcars IMO.
    the replacements are to the same spec as the new batch, they are new builds. The other ones were written off as the corrosion was too extensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Does anyone know what exact issues arose to stall the commissioning of these units for so long and have those issues been fully resolved and will the new trains be in service this year or any-time soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭eejoynt

re the above and another thread locked earlier today- does boards.ie have libel insurance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

eejoynt wrote: »

re the above and another thread locked earlier today- does boards.ie have libel insurance?

a) This is obviously off-topic
    b) This is not C&T related
    c) If you have any queries regarding the legal status/setup of boards, either email hello@boards.ie or start a Feedback thread

Move on please

Here is one of the new pics here showing the new railcars.

http://thewandererphotos.smugmug.com/2012Photos/January-2012/20960570_6MdsKQ#!i=1665480254&k=QTnHvkX

These only came up yesterday. Very lucky to find them.

According to IRN 22053/54 entered service today on the Heuston-Kildare run. This makes sense to me since it keeps them close to Portlaoise and the Rotem shop in Heuston for now. This presumably is where the train for the Nenagh direct service was sourced from.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Any idea what the plan is for these, as in where are they to be used?

Is it simply to relieve commuter trains from operating longer distance services or are we to see more direct (+splitting) Westport/Ballina, Limerick/Kerry, Galway/ Mayo and possibly something novel and useful like a direct Cork-Limerick-Galway service or even Galway -> Waterford!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Is it simply to relieve commuter trains from operating longer distance services or are we to see more direct (+splitting) Westport/Ballina, Limerick/Kerry, Galway/ Mayo and possibly something novel and useful like a direct Cork-Limerick-Galway service or even Galway -> Waterford!

Are these carraiges fitted with sleepers for such a journey?

One is probably the one being used on the Limerick-Nenagh-Ballybrophy-Heuston service.

IE don't appear to have made an official announcement but this is what's trickling out.

The 2700 fleet is to be stored/placed in vandalage-rustage.
    2800 class cars have arrived in Limerick to take over regional service and the Ballina branch (which uses Limerick as depot). This call was made in part because of the significant commonality between 2800 and 2600 cars (Cork commuter).
    It's unclear whether the 2700/2600 hybrid set will be stored or retained.

It is likely we will see more 22000s on outer Northern Line services.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭sealgaire

foggy_lad wrote: »
    They are the new fleet of 22000 DMU railcar coaches, would you not call each carriage a coach?

Either way it could be lack of funds to pay for the commissioning of the batteries etc or just more union nonsense, they probably didn't get a big enough Christmas bonus?

They probably want to compenstated be for having to work on a newer machine

AngryLips wrote: »
    Are these carraiges fitted with sleepers for such a journey?
    ???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

???

Speed restrictions on the line would make it quite a time consuming trip, no? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,971 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

dowlingm wrote: »
    One is probably the one being used on the Limerick-Nenagh-Ballybrophy-Heuston service.

IE don't appear to have made an official announcement but this is what's trickling out.

The 2700 fleet is to be stored/placed in vandalage-rustage.
    2800 class cars have arrived in Limerick to take over regional service and the Ballina branch (which uses Limerick as depot). This call was made in part because of the significant commonality between 2800 and 2600 cars (Cork commuter).
    It's unclear whether the 2700/2600 hybrid set will be stored or retained.

It is likely we will see more 22000s on outer Northern Line services.

The new copy of IRRS Journal mentions that the 2700 class are due a mid life heavy overhaul and refitting soon. On this basis, they'd all have been taken out of traffic in the coming months regardless of new 22000 class sets being put into traffic. The only question is if or when they would return to traffic.

Speed restrictions on the line would make it quite a time consuming trip, no? :pac:
    nah, its not the worst and is currently similar to the bus but the train is loosing loads of time due to farting about with connections.

Take the Galway to Waterford trip and break it down
    Galway to Limerick is 2 hours by train direct
    To get to Waterford you have to get off and change at limerick
    Then change again at Limerick junction getting on the waterford train.
    Travel time from Limerick to Waterford would be 2 hours if direct but is 2h 40 with all the changing.
    So Galway to Waterford direct would be 4hours give or take whereas its now the guts of 5.
    The bus currently is timetabled at 6, abeit with an hour in Limerick to change

Same with Galway to Cork that currently takes 4h 15 min currently that could be reduced to 3h 35min if you eliminated the 40min (and hassle for the passenger) of connections in Limerick and Limerick Junction.

The quickest bus from Cork to Galway just for comparison is currently 4h20min

• Registered Users Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Any idea what the plan is for these, as in where are they to be used?

Well they will have to facilitate the remainder of the 2800 fleet to move to Limerick, so I'd imagine a combination of Longford and Dundalk services, the one remaining 29000 roster on Sligo, and strengthening other services where it is necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

dowlingm wrote: »
    According to IRN 22053/54 entered service today on the Heuston-Kildare run. This makes sense to me since it keeps them close to Portlaoise and the Rotem shop in Heuston for now. This presumably is where the train for the Nenagh direct service was sourced from.

Incorrect. The 0725 ex-Portlaoise which follows this service a few minutes later is now a 3-piece. Given they share 3 stops within 5 minutes of one another, it should mean that people will be sufficiently catered for by the two trains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

nah, its not the worst and is currently similar to the bus but the train is loosing loads of time due to farting about with connections.

Take the Galway to Waterford trip and break it down
    Galway to Limerick is 2 hours by train direct
    To get to Waterford you have to get off and change at limerick
    Then change again at Limerick junction getting on the waterford train.
    Travel time from Limerick to Waterford would be 2 hours if direct but is 2h 40 with all the changing.
    So Galway to Waterford direct would be 4hours give or take whereas its now the guts of 5.
    The bus currently is timetabled at 6, abeit with an hour in Limerick to change

Same with Galway to Cork that currently takes 4h 15 min currently that could be reduced to 3h 35min if you eliminated the 40min (and hassle for the passenger) of connections in Limerick and Limerick Junction.

The quickest bus from Cork to Galway just for comparison is currently 4h20min

Tried going ennis to cork last autumn, looked fine on paper , except the ennis train sat waiting for a platform on way in to limerick..... Watched as a platform was freed up by the departing Limerick junction train....
    Upshot was it took me over 6 hours to get from ennis to Kent station and then couldn't get train home to midleton cos it was gone midnight......

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement