Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speedy Gonzales or Slowpoke Rodriguez?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

= 15 miles at just over 6 minute/mile? My interpretation would've been a bit different! Stonking run for a Thursday night.

Thanks. It was a hard run allright. Not hanging on at the end, but very glad it was over. I had a nagging fear that i had blown it (the marathon prep) and would struggle from here in. Today was a huge relief.

Need to take it further now and start to get specific: no PMP's to date.

I read through your log this evening actually. You really have this latest marathon prep by the scruff of the neck!! They are tough routes your doing your PMPs on. Very specific to Boston as you disclosed. Youre well on for nailing this one...with a lump hammer! Great stuff.

Reconsidering my 38k at the weekend. Ill have 6 days recovery before Bohermeen so may be an oppurtunity to do something more specific.

Thinking of this:

35 km with variations

(15k at 4.05+ 5k alternating 1’ fast / 1’ slow + 10k marathon-pace in + 2k easy + 3k max intensity uphill)

3k max uphill might be accomplished by Chapelizod gate in park to top of Kyber road (via zigzags) running hard on the flat and descent.

1'fast might be 10k-HM effort. (probably HM) Slow will be 4:20 pace.

Want to start making these runs very specific if possible. Can keep these sessions specific and intense even through the taper (while reducing duration).

Going to wear a HRM for this. If i run it right i should be able to get a gauge on what M HR is for future sessions on some inevitably windy days.

Im thinking of a 10k in Sligo on St Patricks day. The 38k run could be accomplished 2 days after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

T runner wrote: »

Thinking of this:

35 km with variations

(15k at 4.05+ 5k alternating 1’ fast / 1’ slow + 10k marathon-pace in + 2k easy + 3k max intensity uphill)

3k max uphill might be accomplished by Chapelizod gate in park to top of Kyber road (via zigzags) running hard on the flat and descent.

1'fast might be 10k-HM effort. (probably HM) Slow will be 4:20 pace.

Im thinking of a 10k in Sligo on St Patricks day. The 38k run could be accomplished 2 days after.

In similar situation to you this week T lad.
    Massage on Wed put a planned 12 mile with 5 x 1 mile Thurs out the window. As Kinvara half on Sat 3rd also bringing forward Sun long run to Sat and reducing length 19 mile but progression -15sec each 4 mile block to 6 min pace.
    Regarding the 10k on Patrick's Day is that the one in Tubber? Do you know the route? Thinking of doing that.

Oh great running recently too. Fine form.

Abhainn wrote: »
    In similar situation to you this week T lad.
    Massage on Wed put a planned 12 mile with 5 x 1 mile Thurs out the window. As Kinvara half on Sat 3rd also bringing forward Sun long run to Sat and reducing length 19 mile but progression -15sec each 4 mile block to 6 min pace.
    Regarding the 10k on Patrick's Day is that the one in Tubber? Do you know the route? Thinking of doing that.

Oh great running recently too. Fine form.

That's a tough run. Youll manage it though. 7 ,6.45, 6.30, 6.15 with last 3 at 6?

Excellent. Burning mainly fat at start and working right through towards mainly glycogen at the end. Great lesson for the legs as well as the energy pathways.

Im recovering well so im risking the 35k on sunday although i wont be 100% for Bohermeen ill be rested enough to get a good run and set a good PB.

Found this on Garmin Connect re Tubber.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/147302708

Ima ssuming this is it. Ill put a post on Sligo road league facebook page also.

Youre training is brilliant. All that steady running is what a lot of Canovas athletes do. I just cant run the the volume im doing without going easy for most runs. So teh proportion of steady running falls which undoubtedly is a weakness. If i get used to this volume i may have a cut at a marathon where most runs are steady and on the high volume.

Tubber is hilly enough i heard. Not as bad as Maugherow but guessing from peoples times id say +30s to a flat course

See you there hopefully.

Friday 24/2/2012

Lunch: 1k inc 10 X 15s up steps max effort.

PM: Regeneration run 10k

Saturday: PM 10k easy with a few strides.

Sunday:

Special long run

35k @ 3.55 pace (6.18 per mile) in 35:35

15k @ 4:05 pace (6:34)
    5k: 1 min fast 1 min slow @ average 4:02 (6:29)
    10k @ 3:33 (5:43)
    2k easy @ 4:50 (7.45)
    3k hard uphill (mainly) @ 3:35 (5.46)

Friday was second uphill step sprints of the week.
    Intended to do 2 runs on saturday but as the day progressed i decided on just the one. Being rested for the important session on Sunday was more important at this stage than 10k on the overall volume.

Started Sundays run from Papal X and headed down the main road towards Zoo roundabout. Was doing 3:53 comfortably but downhill with wind. Kept the effort even and easyish and averaged about 4:05 so on target. I was going on effort so if the effort had meant 4:10 thats what i was going to do.
    Thursdays run had definately kicked in which was encouraging.

Next 5k: 1 min fast and 1 min slow. THis was done with fast section at about HM effort. I think that may have been too slow but i knew it needed to be at least faster than M effort. A little fatigued starting my 10k at M effort.

Chose the D from phoenix - small roundabout near main road North gate and back looping East along the cycle track. Clockwise direction. Exactly 1/3 of 10k each lap.Happy with this although i lost concentration at the end, distance watching for 1k.

Took 90s to gulp some drink and take some winegums. Off i went on the easy section 2k towards Chapelizod gate down acres road. Did most of this under 4:30 pace and it felt very easy after the faster effort. Arrived a little early and was jogging around at 6 km/m waiting for the "time" to arrive. I actually ahd to complete a distance so this skewed my pace here a little.

On to the 3k. Hard up the zigzags feeling OK. Nearly reached 3 m/km on the downhill past magazine fort. Now the horrible part. Pushed hard up the Kyber, scattering a path of tourists in front of me with my frenzied breathing. The muscles that turn to Jelly during my uphill step sprints were called upon and turned to Jelly. Thats what i thought would happen and ill be calling on those muslce fibres late in the marathon hopefully.

Finsihed at the top of the Kyber and lay on the ground enjoying the fact that the torture was over!

Ill definately benefit from this one. 5 days recovery until Bohermeen half. Maybe an easy farlek on wednesday, but all recovet apart from.

Ate plenty of protein and carbs. Now for the chocolate!

• Advertisement

Monday 27th

Lunch 6k recovery with nipper sport...and baby.

Pm: 10k easy

Tuesday: 10k recovery

Pm: 7.8k recovery ---massage--- 7.8k recovery

Wednesday: lunch 4k. Inc 3 X steep steps

Still need recovery from weekend long run. Meant to do more reps but a lot of traffic on steps, happy to leave it as 3 for some maintenance. Actually thought bohermen half was Saturday for some reason so could have left this till tomorrow.

Pm was 10.5k easy

Possible Remaining hard sessions /races before taper.

Bohermeen half, 25k hilly progression run, long run 38 k,
    long run34k: 10k @ 37.30. 10k@36.30. 10k@35.40. 4k@14
    5 X 4k wi fast k recovery
    5 by 4k + 1 by 3k wi fast k recovery
    10k race tubbercurry

34k run is a priority aswell as 38k and at least one 4k reps session

THursday Lunch 6k X PM 10k

Friday 10k easy

Saturday 6k easy wi Strides

Sunday Bohermeen half.

So dicided a mini taper was in order to try and race this as well as possible. Legs didnt feel right until the day before really after the previous Sundays efforts. So an easy week before the half marathon and after, before a final push in the last 5 weeks.

The Bohermeen half is in two laps. The lap is rectangular: 4 junctions as corners. 2 fast sides wind assisted and slighly down hill: 2 slow sides into wind and hillyish including two hills crossing over M3 and then back (over a different bridge). After crossing the second bridge on the second lap we had exactlt 1 mile to go to finish it Bohermeen AC track. The race started closer to this bridge than the track making the first lap longer to mkae up the 13.1 miles.

It reminded me a lot of Dunshaughlin 10k. First half fast on smooth roads, second half hilly and tough on rough country roads.

The race starter was hilariuous: a lifetime clubman with what must be a Bohermeen accent which seemed to be completely incomprehensible (My Dada from not too far away i know what im talking about). Added to that he was talking through a very dodgy PA system so nobody knew what he was saying. He seemed to be making a presentation and there was an issue with the PA so start was delayed.

Had time to do a half a lap in the car before so i knew the lay of the land and the flow of the wind. I reckoned it would be a race of 4 quarters, 1st and third fast, 2nd and 4th slower. Strategy was, dont fly off at the start like a tool and leave enough in teh tank at halfway to make a very strong 3rd quarter: then tough out the remainder.

Off we went. The pace felt really slow, i was holding back to stay level with teh front runners. I knew Paul O'Connel; was there...he was a man who i should be aiming to be there or thereabouts on the day. Gary O'Hanlon had also lined up but the word was he had done a 69 min half in training the previous day (marathon race pace?) and was only doing it as a training run.
    He was reluctant with the lead at the start and then eased back into the bunch. Were only running for a minute and stilll a good distance from teh clubhouse when a powerful looking guy pushes hard to the front. His body language said "feck this, someones got to front up and take this one...thats me..".

This put me in a conundrum: He looked strong enough that he could win it if let go. (looked like he was going at 71 pace). Then again if a smaller lad like myself could get a lap of shelter from this big fella i could bang out a fast second lap and win the thing...the pace is too slow. "feck this, someones got to front up and take this one...thats me..".
    Long sufferin Mexican Jaysus, off i went after him. He was going hard. I went like a bullet and closed the gap in about 100 metres. He was strong, it was a bit of effort to keep with him but i concentrated on relaxing and it was getting easier. Mercifully he was slowling...settling i reckoned. A pace fast enough to open a good gap behind but not so fast as to drop me in my pole position as the only drafter behind the giant. As we approached the clubhouse he started making confused hand gestures. Which wasy he shouted at the crowd. I almost sniggered to myself. People getting disorientated in hill races have some excuse...this guy was getting confused 5 minutes into a road race!
    To my complete horror the leader and shortly to be winner of the 5k race turned sharply to his right towards the finsish line, leaving me...... not technically going off on my own like the proverbial....but definately in effect the proverbial.....tiring, breathing hard into a headwind 70 metres ahead of the accelerating pack 1 mile into a half marathon!!!! F.......ck!

OK. I ease up slighly. Get to the corner and the wind more favourable. It could turn out allright yet. A k after the corner, Paul O'c catches up. He must have and did work hard to catch up. Had the ginat taken a second victim?

Another k in and quiet pitter patters indicate the arrival of Gary O'Hanlon. Hes runninge easily, picking his heels up quick and high in the style of a man used to running a bgreat deal faster. Im finding the pace hard. Trying to recover, have averaged 3:22k pace 4 k in. Turn onto the Athboy road. A fast tarry main road, wind at back. I let the lads go. If i try and keep up ill blow sooner or later. eed some recovery. I cover the ground quickly and dont lose much maybe 30 metres in a couple of k. We turn into the slow half. Headwind hills. I cant go hard. I figure Garu o'H will go on his own. Leaving me to target Paul in the third quarter. So it happens. I recover somewaht. Through a diuralyte into me at the clubhouse and head in opursuit. Gary is gone, Paul is coming back slowly. As we turn oiut of teh wind into the second 2 sides of teh rectangle i glimpse a fflash of yellow not too far back. It doesnt matter, im recoverd feeling better and have got back down to 3:25ks on the fast bits. I catch Paul just as we turn onto the last quarter. Wanted to pass him before..on teh fast section where i was strongest. He rallies. Water station. Coul do with a diuralte now. New plan. Stay on his shoulder and outkick.
    Crossing the first bridge over M3 for last time i hear sound behind. Yellow shirt man is Peter Mooney. F..ck i say. Paul looks behind after hearing me curse. He sees him and accelerates up the hill. Im finished. 2 lads leave me for dead. Peter finishes brilliantly. Puts 42 seconds on me in 2k. Paul fights but just not enough. Gary O'H is 2k into his warmdown perhaps. And somehwhere a giant is happily oblivious to his very unusual part in these very painful proceedings.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Which way he shouted at the crowd. I almost sniggered to myself. People getting disorientated in hill races have some excuse...this guy was getting confused 5 minutes into a road race!
    To my complete horror the leader and shortly to be winner of the 5k race turned sharply to his right towards the finsish line

Brilliant :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Jaysus. A series of unfortunate events. There's probably a lesson in there somewhere for your upcoming marathon. There's a 1.5k, 2.5k, 5k and 10k taking place on the same day in Rotterdam. Make sure you're racing the right race. ;)

Jaysus. A series of unfortunate events. There's probably a lesson in there somewhere for your upcoming marathon. There's a 1.5k, 2.5k, 5k and 10k taking place on the same day in Rotterdam. Make sure you're racing the right race. ;)

Lesson learnt and there wont be any mistakes in Rotterdam: If its windy ill make double sure its the leader of the 42.2 that ill use as the wind break in the early stages.

• Advertisement

5th March - 12th March

Monday

10k rec.

Tuesday
    14k recovery

Wednesday
    10k X 2

Thursday
    20k easy

Friday

10k easy

Saturday

30k inc 20k pace run (20k ave 3:35)

Encouraging run. Bazman suggested this one might be useful during the week, and it was.
    A progression run wi. 3 by 6.5 k laps last one being extended to make 10k. Run was in Park. A very good lap. Start halfway down Lords walk between Polo grounds and zoo. Head South, right up main road all the way to Oabout near Castleknock gate, right on North road all the way back to take a right onto Spa road (bisecting zoo) and onto Lords walk again. Plan was 3:40, 3:35, and 3:30. Running up the main road was into a head wind and slighly uphill. Worked out well: first lap slightly too hard up, second lap better paced and third lap spot on. Second last k was 3:22.

Taking wind and climb into account this should be 3:33 effort on a flat windless course (Rotterdam heres hoping). I took the wind on each lap except the last where I took turns with Bazman in single file. The group angle here was good as the third runer on this lap could use us to stay in touch and get a good finish with the group for the fast section downhill and wind on the North road. A very encouraging run as I was a little despondent after Bohermeen half. I was hanging on at the end but I managed 20k at race effort which means I have a chance in Rotterdam. Recommend this loop and run as a group marathon training run. As suitable a loop for it as youll get in the Phoenix park.

Sunday

2 hours as you feel run (fely very sluggish) (26k very easy)

Started in Howth. Took in Cliff walk then cut across past Summit Inn onto trails on far side eventually coming out at Martello tower on coast. The range of motion of the offroad stuff is great for clearing stiffness. Legs were tired but Ok on road run back. Needed this maintenance as it was 2 weeks since my last long run. My WU and WDv down yesterday were two slow and incontinous to count as a 30k long effort.

Monday:

25 mins on threadmill varying incrementing pace and varying incline to aid recovery.

PM: 10k easy

Reviewing the state of affairs im happy enough. The last few k of Saturdays LT run told me that I need some LT work to make that pace feel easier.
    Tomorrow I plan to achieve that: 8 by 1k @ 3:10 next week either 10 by 1k or 5 by 2k.

Long runs will be: this Saturday 35k inc 4 by 15 mins @ PMP.
    Next Sunday 34k continuous: 20’ WU then---10k@ 38min; 10k@37min; 10k@35:40; 4k harder (HM pace or whatever I can manage). Goal is to be able to reach race pace and do 4k harder. If I think the planned previous 20ks ave pace means I wont achieve that objective then I will change that ave pace accordingly.
    Another focus now is to work on recovery---getting freshened up a bit before the main taper. Although mileage will be high for two weeks--- if I can improve recovery I can keep quality good and make all the remaining sessions controlled and effectively start a slight taper. Therefore, all sessions must be doable now to be controlled.
    I have a controlled 10k (wont push too hard at the end so will be 20s or so off a full effort) planned for April 1st: probably the fighting blindness one in Phoenix park. Not very Canova like but ill do a medium long run in the lipid range a couple of days after, to remind the body of the preferred rate to burn glycogen.

Tuesday 13/3/2012

Lunch 10k inc Killiney Obelisk (around not over it).

PM Run Home 13k

Wednesday

Lunch: easy 5k with some strides and corework
    PM Run home incl 7 by 1000. ave 3:16 Total 15k

Not ideal and wasnt looking forward to these but got them in. A few diversions by way of U turns and railway crossings but worked out OK. Plan to do 8-9 by 1k next week and 10 by 1k the following week. Should be able to get closer to 3:10 ave once the first one is bagged.

Felt rusty at these but always the way with first run. Easy enough now until 35k run with PMP on saturday. One more long hard one the following weekend with a 10k the following week to look forward to and help the concentration. Nutrition, stretching, core etc improving as race is just visible on the horizon which is good. Legs a little tireder now so going with more or less a 3 week taper. A 1hr 45 minute run with 13 days to go (day after 10 k) will be last medium/long run. Im considering making the hardest long run this weekend (4 weeks out) instead of 3 weeks out so that im a little fresher for the 10k and taper. The Tubbercurry 10k on Patricks day is so tempting but i do need a couple of long specific runs. Will be 3 weeks since my last long run this weekend. The HM weekend and then tempo/2hr run last weekend will have sustained me somewhat but not if i let it go for another week.

T lad some great efforts in there.
    So if I'm correct your aiming for 2:29 in Rotterdam? Remind me what your "PR" is as the yanks say
    What had been you peak mileage been? (Sorry I'm too lazy go back and add up the figures)

T lad some great efforts in there.
    So if I'm correct your aiming for 2:29 in Rotterdam? Remind me what your "PR" is as the yanks say
    What had been you peak mileage been? (Sorry I'm too lazy go back and add up the figures)

The pace run with Bazman (20k @ 2:31:30 pace but gradual shallow hills and wind) means im still holding onto an outside chance of 2:30. If not it will be 2:32 and the difference in training paces shouldnt make much odds.

I should be able for bigger sessions, more of them with a steady run or two in between to be in with a proper chance, but im not which makes the goal only one with an outside chance of being attained. My Bohermeen time (even though i F'ed the pacing up) also indicates its ambitious.

But if i get 2:29.xx ill never have to run a marathon again. I will retire to shorter races and go to pasture in the hills. So ill hold onto it for now.

My gut tells me ill run most of the race at 2:31-2 and the fight will be to hold it and not to fade a couple. Ill be realsitic on the day re capabilities and conditions. Ill run at marathon effort (i hope). If thats 2:29, 2:31 or 2:34 so be it: no point in running any faster.

Peak mileage:Since jan 1st have done 3-4 weeks @ 170k ish.

Sept to January my average was 90 growing to 130 all at varying strong aerobic paces: tempos, sub tempos, progressions, longish fast runs, medium long fast runs etc. Made a lot of progress in this period.

Want to get on with it now. Im running Tubber tommorrow--cant remember what reason i rationalised that decision with, but i remember it was a really good one.

Have you a firm time in mind yet? Good luck in Ballivor.

Thursday 15/3/2012

10k easy

Friday

Rest

Saturday Tubbercurry 10k 33:34 3rd place.

A good run here. Its a very hilly course and had a light to medium head breeze in places. Was determined not to go off like a headless chicken today. I was sacrificing a 35k run with race pace sections for this so needed to get it right. I saw Emmett Dunleavy was there. Thats first place taken care of. Plan was to relax in the "pursuing" group. oute was a 1k lap of Tubber town and then a hilly triangle. I see Tristan Druet there, he might be one to mark for me.

Emmett and another Sligo AC guy (Triathlete Eamonn McAndrew) took off from the start. I settled into the bunch pursuing in 4th or 5th. 3.18 first k and we take the "mountain road" leaving the town: uphill. Im in third now, running easily and surprised no-one passes. My only green singlet for St Patricks day is my IMRA one so maybe im getting more respect than deserved on this uphill. I see Eammonn has dropped off Emmett in front and im wondering (hoping!) if he might fade Anyway, i take the lead on top into a breeze, 3:31 second k. Tipping along nicely 3:24 and 3:22 .I tuck in behind. Feels very easy. First side of the triangle complete turning left at 5k (3:28)and pace has noticeably dropped. Eamonn is still closhish to Emmett ahead, so oinly 3rd place to play for. Im feeling great. 4 left in our group including Tristan. I take over again and up the pace. Hilly k in 3:23, 7th a very hilly k in 3:33.Im running hard through the uphills. Only Tristan left to worry about now. Hes breathing hardish but i know hes a tough nut. He is finding the flats and downs easier than the ups. I know we have two of the 3 significant hills run. The last is from 8.5-9 k ive ran it in the warmup. The last k is all down, fast and gradual like a long forestry road descent. He has tried to move level on a few flat sections. I wont let him head me at this stage. Every time he tries i up the pace. Im feeling great; no pain. Im looking forward to attacking on the last uphill normally i dont like anticipating a battle. Up we go. I wind it up speed doesnt change. I know hes hurting, and we both know he cant give me a gap. The 9k mark is at a water station at the top of the hill. About 50-60 metres distance left of climbing. I take off hard and put almost 10 metres into him before the top and i kick very hard. 3:18 for that one including the uphill. I hear him come after me, im feeling great and i accelerate to full speed on the initial downhill. The footsteps recede. Next km is 2:50 and my garmin raches 10k about 10 secs before the line. A little discomfort in last few hundred but it was enjoyable discomfort. Tristan doesnt give up|: he finishes 10 secs or so after and in some distress. Hes on the way back to full fitness, mightened get a chance to get him again.

Felt very strong during that race: never felt better in a road race. I feel if i was to concentrate on a 10k in 4-5 weeks i could make an assault on 32 mins.

Anyway, may have an accomplice for rotterdam who is aiming to run 76 for the first have and either negative split towards 2:30 or try and beat 2:33. next weeks long run at pace will be key. A 10k 2 weeks out will give TL a last kick.

35k easy run tommorrow to maintain endurence. Maybe finish the last few k at MP if im feeling good. Doubt it somehow.

Just to add on re-reading that report...the confidence is a little brittle. Was dreading doing a long run at pace this weekend and the race was more for psychological reasons than physiological ones. Doubtful and wary before it, confident and semi-euphoric after it. I think the fitness is there just need to take a little pressure off and complete the remaining training in a positive frame. Have been missing the odd run or two recently. More personal commitments, but this was expected and mileage can be reduced as long as the sessions are maintaining or increasing fitness.

Going out at 76 pace feels about right now. If i can nail the 34k+ fast run next Sunday i should have given myself every chance of maintaining that pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

Going to give it a lash?

http://www.imra.ie/forum/topic/id/2884/

ocnoc wrote: »

I'm not. Rotterdam is my away trip this year. I'll consider it For next year.
    I'm 39 so will be a young m40 next year. Thanks for the heads up though, it's got the Brain ticking over.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

Fair enough. Do a marathon build up for it with a few extra hills and give it a lash. Your in fantastic shape

Fantastic final km there T Lad. I didn't realise it was as hilly as you described. Fine running
    That will stand to you

• Advertisement

Sunday 18th March:

1 hr easy on beach, dunes and grass.

Monday:

35.5k long run. ave 4:15 (6:52) 2h 30m

Hilly run doing 3 road laps of Knocknarea each getting shorter (but hillier). Happy just to get this run in. Worryingly it felt a bit tough albeit with the 10k in my legs from 2 days earlier.

I have also dropped off the volume worryingluy: My easy few days before Bohermeen and after have turned into almost 3 weeks of relatively low mileage. Dont think ill get away with it.

Ill have to keep the twice a day recoveries this week to stem the slide. Will probably do this until two weeks out so the body is in no doubt to maintain aerobic gains.

No 1ks sesssion this week as the 10k race was the LT session. Sunday is key session: 34 k, all fast.

I want to do something tommorrow. A thought occurred to me to simulate one of Canovas Special/specific block. 40 mins PMP at lunch and then 45 mins PMP run home. Have 3 days to recover for the big session on Sunday. I can atleast then half pretend im following Canovas principles! Also it will tell the body that the overall training effort is still high. Maintain, maintain, maintain (and get fitter for the race hopefully)!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Thursday 15/3/2012

Saturday Tubbercurry 10k 33:34 3rd place.

Felt very strong during that race: never felt better in a road race. I feel if i was to concentrate on a 10k in 4-5 weeks i could make an assault on 32 mins.

Great racing there T. With your mix of endurance and hills it sounds like there is more to come after the marathon and there will be a few watching their backs.

Fantastic final km there T Lad. I didn't realise it was as hilly as you described. Fine running
    That will stand to you

Thanks and great run yourself in Ballivor.

It was the exact same course as the Garmin link i posted: that gave elevation gain at 62 metres but there was 85-90 metres climbed over the race.

There was a 25-30 metre drop almost evenly over the last 900m. For a descent like that near the end you can put a big effort in for the first 50m to get a big speed and momentum up.

Holding it is just a mental exercise that close to the finish, its leg turnover and once youre up to speed you dont really have to push as such: just hang on. Like the way youd tackle a cycling descent: although the finish line does need to be near the bottom of the hill in this case.

Its hard to put the initial effort in but its definately worth it. If i ran even effort down that hill i would'nt have ran it under 3.

dna_leri wrote: »
    Great racing there T. With your mix of endurance and hills it sounds like there is more to come after the marathon and there will be a few watching their backs.

Thanks DNA. The target was to make a breakthrough as id been floundering for a few years.

If there was a race requiring road speed, endurance and hill running ahem id be in good shape for it now. Although i still wouldnt be in an asses roar of whomever won.

The winner on Sunday was returning from injury and would probably be capable of 31 on Tubbercurry if he hadnt been hurt.

So for the warriors run, for example, to ahve a chance youd need top be within 30 secs---45 at the absolute max of leader at start of off road section to have a chance. (the leader after the mountain nearly always wins).
    That would mean being capable of 32 in Tubber and im shy of that.

That said im hoping to try a high volume buildup again with a few races targeted in the 50-75 mins racing time category for late summer. There is a lot more scope for implementing a Canova type specific approach for shorter races than the marathon and ill have cut out a few of the errors i hope.

That's a super result T-runner, and as you admit yourself, following a more specific training plan will yield some significant gains, so running such a strong 10k PB during marathon training, goes to show you the gains you've made across the board.

If you have a minute, I'm looking for suggestions for a long run this weekend. It's my final long run (20-22 miles), so I'm hoping for a good strong session, but not your typical P&D 13 mile PMP run (as I'll be doing Connemara the following week at pmp). So any suggestions for a Canova/Daniels type long run, that includes sections at faster pace? Thanks.

That's a super result T-runner, and as you admit yourself, following a more specific training plan will yield some significant gains, so running such a strong 10k PB during marathon training, goes to show you the gains you've made across the board.

If you have a minute, I'm looking for suggestions for a long run this weekend. It's my final long run (20-22 miles), so I'm hoping for a good strong session, but not your typical P&D 13 mile PMP run (as I'll be doing Connemara the following week at pmp). So any suggestions for a Canova/Daniels type long run, that includes sections at faster pace? Thanks.

Thanks and well done on the breakthrough 5 mile time at the weekend.

This might be a good one:

9 miles @ 7:05-10 minute pace
    3 miles of 2 mins @ easy 2 mins @ hard (10k-HM effort)
    6 miles @ PMP
    1.5 miles easy
    2 miles very hard (whatever you can manage)

I did something similar 3 weeks ago. Its doable but adjust the pace of the 2 min easy./hard 3 miles to make sure youre able for the subsequent faster miles.

Remember youre well on course for your target. You dont have to do anything special to achieve it. Just see the remaining training through using the positives from Ballivor.

If in doubt: Stick in a 4-6 miles @ PMP after 11-14 miles of an easy 20-22 mile long run.

Thanks. Looks great (I look forward to the challenge of just setting up something like that on the Garmin!). Will give some variant of it a go, depending on how I'm feeling by the weekend and how the body's holding up.

Where the hell is Ballivor? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭The Hammer

Where the hell is Ballivor? :)

Oh if I got a penny every time someone asked that question..... :D

I see from your log that you ran "Kildalkey" on Saturday - well you are only about 2 miles from Ballivor. Maybe T_Runner is confusing the location - as for several years the Meath 5 Mile was held in Ballivor. The two villages are in the same parish.

The Hammer wrote: »
    Oh if I got a penny every time someone asked that question..... :D

I see from your log that you ran "Kildalkey" on Saturday - well you are only about 2 miles from Ballivor. Maybe T_Runner is confusing the location - as for several years the Meath 5 Mile was held in Ballivor. The two villages are in the same parish.

My Dad is from Ballivor: He often blamed the abundance of jammed pubs in Strandhill on the peninsula effect. (Not having the full 360' of directions to choose from, making the pub direction more frequent). He claims Ballivor also suffers from the peninsula effect due to the bog of Ballivor. (He doesnt drink much BTW incase that crosses anyones mind!).
    Anyway thats Ballivor for ya. Its down as Ballivor on Precision timing so i guess a Ballivor loyalist must have infiltrated the Kildalkey team.

• Advertisement

Tuesday 20/3/2012

Lunch 5k easy
    PM 10k easy

Wednesday

Lunch 10k easy
    PM 10k easy

Legs still on the mend after weekend. Going to be easy 10ks all week until Sunday.

Sundays plan is now: 10k @ 3:55 10k @ 3:45 10k @ 3:35 4k @ 3:33
    continous run.

Its 4 weeks since my last similar run so hopefully ill still have the stamina for it.

2 weekends out it will be either a 10k and a 1:45-50 easy run following day.
    10k would be This one: http://www.ncbi.ie/support-us/fundraising-events/ncbi-10km-run-phoenix-park

Otherwise just one Canova continous sessions instead.
    Something like:
    3 k @ 4:20:
    4 X 5k @ PMP recovery = 1k @ 4:20 for a total of 27k.

Probbaly should do the later but the former is not a bad option with a PB possibly on offer. (The weather tehrefore might dictate).

Advertisement