Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Navy career

Options
  • 23-02-2012 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

What would be the best job for a guy in his early 20 's with over 180 ucas points and a degree in Physiology?

An IQ of 180.. very physically fit..5 10" 13 stone, good looking and have little gun experience

I'm new to this and there seems to be many jobs in engineering and medical jobs on their website

Their website is very good I must say compared to that of the Irish navy which is a complete joke

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

investment wrote: »
    What would be the best job for a guy in his early 20 's with over 180 ucas points and a degree in Psychology?

An IQ of 180.. very physically fit..5 10" 13 stone, good looking and have little gun experience

I'm new to this and their seems to be many jobs in engineering and medical jobs on their website

There website is very good I must say compared to that of the Irish navy which is a complete joke
    the irish have a NAVAL SERVICE and not an actual navy like the brits and united states, and is an arm of the irish defence forces so therefore a website just particularly just for them would,nt be warranted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

the irish have a NAVAL SERVICE and not an actual navy like the brits and united states, and is an arm of the irish defence forces so therefore a website just particularly just for them would,nt be warranted

what a load of utter sh1te - there are one man bands out there with better websites than the NS - and indeed the DF as a whole.

the NS has well over 1000 personnel, 8 vessels - all of them armed - undertakes global voyages and is the force of Law in the Irish EEZ and on the high sea. to say that its web presence shouldn't be professional just because its not as big as other navies (if its got grey ships with big guns on them, its a Navy - get over it) is just pathetic arse covering.

Do you not have to be a British citizen (living in Britain 5 years) to be certain jobs in the RN? Might be worth checking out.

I remember looking into it a while ago, but only remember it being about pilots and MPs have to be British citizens. May have changed since.

On another note, but don't won't to derail the thread, but are the Irish Naval Service even recruiting??

Also, on another note, I quite like the Irish website.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭kirving

An IQ of 180...

...their seems...

There website...

Sorry, had to be done! You can join if you are Irish, but they do say that some career paths are only available to British citizens. The link to the page explaining what that means in more detail isn't working on the Royal Navy website, but I imagine it means that you can only reach a certain rank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

What would be the best job for a guy in his early 20 's with over 180 ucas points and a degree in Psychology?

I'm new to this and their seems to be many jobs in engineering and medical jobs on their website

There website is very good I must say compared to that of the Irish navy which is a complete joke

So you judge a service by its website, rather than the job it does?
    Best of luck in your career. I suggest a retest on the IQ though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

An IQ of 180

hmm that is Genius level around Einstein. You should be winning Nobel prizes.
    engineering and medical jobs on their website
    For an officer you normally need a degree in Engineering or Medical Degree (MD for Doctor, Dentist Degree for Dentist etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

Get on the phone to the naval recruiting office up north and ask them. IQ is not relevant and they will tell you what your can use your degree for.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭investment

Dogwatch wrote: »
    Get on the phone to the naval recruiting office up north and ask them. IQ is not relevant and they will tell you what your can use your degree for.

Thanks I will

The Irish navy are a joke I bet they spend most days drinking tea. If I wanted to spend my time hidding from the action I would go on a fas course:rolleyes:

The royal navy are the navy that all other Navy's are judged by

Are their Irish marines? Just imagine what they do...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

From the 18th to the early 20th Century yes, but certainly not now. Britain could barely muster a force of a tired old frigate and two patrol vessels to shadow a Russian carrier group which entered British waters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Thanks I will

The Irish navy are a joke I bet they spend most days drinking tea. If I wanted to spend my time hidding from the action I would go on a fas course:rolleyes:

Ok, although I wish I could respond to this a certain way, if I did it would most likely result in having to ban myself.

Instead, rather than going to the trouble of correcting the absolute nonsense you've posted in this thread, I'll offer some advice... Lose the attitude.

Nobody cares if you're good looking, nobody cares if you have little gun experience and quite frankly, nobody cares about the IQ of 180 that you claim to have.

You haven't spent a day in the Royal Navy or the Naval Service. You haven't made it through recruit training, you haven't spent a single day at sea, you haven't spent a minute seeing "action" and you've no idea what way a Navy is judged.

Wind your neck in. If your posts on here are anything to go by, you've quite a bit of maturing to do before you decide to grace the Royal Navy with your obviously, ever so awesome presence.

• Advertisement

Poccington wrote: »
    Ok, although I wish I could respond to this a certain way, if I did it would most likely result in having to ban myself.

Instead, rather than going to the trouble of correcting the absolute nonsense you've posted in this thread, I'll offer some advice... Lose the attitude.

Nobody cares if you're good looking, nobody cares if you have little gun experience and quite frankly, nobody cares about the IQ of 180 that you claim to have.

You haven't spent a day in the Royal Navy or the Naval Service. You haven't made it through recruit training, you haven't spent a single day at sea, you haven't spent a minute seeing "action" and you've no idea what way a Navy is judged.

Wind your neck in. If your posts on here are anything to go by, you've quite a bit of maturing to do before you decide to grace the Royal Navy with your obviously, ever so awesome presence.

Being a Royal Marine is all about attitude, arrogance and a state of mind

If nobody cares about these things you have kindly pointed out..why do they ask for a man of my caliber and qualities ??

Are you a royal marine?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Alright...it's CALIBRE not CALIBER (unless you're an american). And considering that is usually a military (or Navy) term the least you could do is get that much right.
    Seeing as your particular IQ test ignored both spelling and grammar I suggest that you get some help when filling out your application form for whichever Navy you decide to grace with your presence.

By the way I'm not normally as cranky as this, but you have only yourself to blame

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

'Being a Royal Marine is all about attitude, arrogance and a state of mind'

'IQ test 180'

Note -

IQ Score Traditional Ranking System
    140 + (~.25%) Genius or near genius
    130 – 139 Gifted
    120 – 129 Very Superior Intelligence
    110 – 119 Superior Intelligence
    90 – 109 Average/Normal
    80 – 89 Dullness
    70 – 79 Borderline deficiency
    50 – 70 Mild mental retardation
    35-50 Moderate mental retardation
    20 – 35 Severe mental retardation
    < 20 Profound mental retardation (1%)

Troll.

tac

It's good advice. I'm not in the Defence Forces, but from getting quite far in the selection process a number of times, I can tell you that that kind of attitude will get you exactly nowhere. It's not the type of thing the interview panel want to see.

It's good advice. I'm not in the Defence Forces, but from getting quite far in the selection process a number of times, I can tell you that that kind of attitude will get you exactly nowhere. It's not the type of thing the interview panel want to see.

Would I be right in saying the selection process you got quiet far in was for the Irish defence force?

If so..I would not be suprised if you are right...The Irish defence force want people with no attitude and no arrogance so they can development them into peace keepers i.e Standing outside a bank with an unarmed gun

Being a Royal Marine is all about attitude, arrogance and a state of mind

If nobody cares about these things you have kindly pointed out..why do they ask for a man of my caliber and qualities ??

Are you a royal marine?
    Being in the RN(which includes RM) also requires respect for other armed forces.
    Dont run down a countries forces especially when you have no experience of being in an armed force. Apply some of this alleged IQ sensibly and you just might make it.

Are a card carrying member of MENSA. If not, why not?????

Would I be right in saying the selection process you got quiet far in was for the Irish defence force?

If so..I would not be suprised if you are right...The Irish defence force want people with no attitude and no arrogance so they can development them into peace keepers i.e Standing outside a bank with an unarmed gun

Yes, but that's irrelevant. Arrogance and a disrespectful attitude won't help your chances. See what happens when someone tries to rob that bank, they don't stand around for fun.

Thanks I will

An IQ of 180 and you can't spell?
    Troll-face1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭ruserious

Dogwatch wrote: »
    Being in the RN(which includes RM)

I was under the impression that the RN and the RM together formed the Naval Service in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Investment, if you got into any navy, the first few weeks they would spend kicking your ass and turning you into normal human being. But based on your diplayed attitude you won't be joining any military anytime soon.

You sound like a cast member of 'The Big Bang Theory'.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

bwatson wrote: »
    From the 18th to the early 20th Century yes, but certainly not now. Britain could barely muster a force of a tired old frigate and two patrol vessels to shadow a Russian carrier group which entered British waters.

Utter ****e, the Royal Navy is the most modern Navy in the world.

Its type 45 destroyers are cutting edge.

There is always a nuclear sub patrolling UK waters.

Its also going through a period of transition.

Well said Sir...Well said

They are spending billions on ships and nuks, while the naval service spend 000,000,000

Its Kinda embarrassing if you ask me

Oh no. Now there is 2 trolls on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭westdub

Well said Sir...Well said

They are spending billions on ships and nuks, while the naval service spend 000,000,000

Its Kinda embarrassing if you ask me

And it looks like the Trolls cant read either.....:rolleyes:

Its Kinda embarrassing if you ask me.....
    After celebrating its 60th anniversary last year, the Naval Service, the maritime division of the Defence Forces, is set to embark on the State's largest ever single military contract worth €180m on a new vessel upgrade and fleet replacement programme, writes Jehan Ashmore. The proposed contract is for three custom-built vessels that may include commissioning the largest ship in the history of the Naval Service at one-third in size larger to the existing flagship, L.E. Eithne. This ‘enhanced naval vessel’ also known as a ‘multi-role vessel’ (MRV) is 120 metres long and is set to cost €90m while the two 80 metres offshore patrol vessels (OPV) come with a price tag of €45m each

http://www.inshore-ireland.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=149&Itemid=133

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Oh dear me

This would be fun if the members of the PDF on here were allowed give full vent to their feelings about people like you...

I'm just gonna sit back and watch the show though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

amen wrote: »
    hmm that is Genius level around Einstein. You should be winning Nobel prizes.

I believe Einstein was a measly 160.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

feeney92 wrote: »
    To be honest the fella who created the thread sounds like he'd fit right in as a DF Captain :P

How many Captains in the PDF, since we're dealing with full time troops in this thread, have you dealt with on a regular basis?

Some amount of ****e from people in this thread who are starting to sound a bit desperate in their attempts to put down the DF and big up the Brits. It's all getting rather boring.

I'll give this thread a few hours, see if it develops into anything worth saving, then it's gone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭thecommietommy

As an American would say, those god [EMAIL="d@mned"]d@mned[/EMAIL] Limey's must not have heard of the US Navy !!!

US Navy approx - 324,466 active duty personnel, 284 ships (including 11 supercarriers), 3,700+ aircraft.

British Navy approx - 36,640 personnel and 2,300 Reserve, 98 ships, 170 aircraft

http://www.navy.mil/swf/index.asp
    http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/The-Fleet/Ships

• Advertisement

As an American would say, those god d@mned Limey's must not have heard of the US Navy !!!

US Navy approx - 324,466 active duty personnel,284 ships (including 11 supercarriers), 3,700+ aircraft.

British Navy approx - 36,640 personnel and 2,300 Reserve, 98 ships, 170 aircraft

http://www.navy.mil/swf/index.asp
    http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/The-Fleet/Ships
    Your information tells us nothing about how modern the USN is compared to the RN, only that the USN is bigger or have I missed something??

Advertisement