Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix in Europe? (Mod post # 83)

Options
  • 24-02-2009 11:37am

I had a few pints in me last night and went home and played a bit of drunken Uno (:o) but for some reason i'm convinced i saw a new blade about Netflix coming to europe? Is this right? Or was it just wishful thinking on my part?

Off to google with me......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Mustve been locked!

I was fluting through marketplace on my mates console last night, didnt see anything bout it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭da ax murderer

i read something on ign about that like 6 months ago so it could be true

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Guru

Netflix, the leading global Internet film subscription service, today announced it will expand to the United Kingdom and Ireland in early 2012, offering unlimited TV shows and films streaming instantly over the Internet to TVs and computers for one low monthly subscription price.
    Upon launch, Netflix members from the UK and Ireland will be able to instantly watch a wide array of TV shows and films right on their TVs via a range of consumer electronics devices capable of streaming from Netflix, as well as on PCs, Macs and mobile tablets and phones. Further details about the service, including pricing, content and supported devices, will be announced closer to launch.
    Netflix has been streaming to U.S. members since 2007, adding Canada in 2010 and 43 countries in Latin America and the Caribbean in September 2011. Netflix has revolutionised entertainment across the Americas by giving its members a huge selection of films and TV shows to enjoy when and where they want.
    People interested in becoming members of Netflix in the UK or Ireland can go to www.netflix.com to sign up to receive an email alert letting them know when Netflix has launched in their country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Hooray ... Great find (and a perfect update to a two-and-a-half year old thread :))

Really looking forward to this - hopefully we don't have to wait for ages after the launch for the App to appear on the Dash and that it's not a really limited selection from the full Netflix library!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Hooray ... Great find (and a perfect update to a two-and-a-half year old thread :))

Really looking forward to this - hopefully we don't have to wait for ages after the launch for the App to appear on the Dash and that it's not a really limited selection from the full Netflix library!

This appears to have gone live today (Netflix UK and Ireland, that is), priced at €7 per month.

Haven't checked if the XBox app is available officially yet, but if you have a US Xbox Live account you should be able to download that and then switch back to your Irish account and use that app to access your Netflix account.

I haven't checked for how much content they have available yet, to see if it's worth it. But at least it's here now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Rochie IRL

I think the app now appears in the app marketplace if not try below. The guide below was for before Netflix appeared in ther marketplace
    It won't load as an update. It's available now follow this guide to get it.

1. Sign into your Xbox live profile. You’ll need a Gold account in order for this to work.

2. Go to the “Bing” search engine and type in “Netflix” and click search then. (Normally video apps appear in the app marketplace, however the Netflix app was not available there straight away)

3. Click on the red Netflix app (it should be the first result) and download.

4. When the download is complete, you’ll find the netflix app in the “My Video Apps” section under the video header.

5. You can then either setup an account online through a PC, or you can create one through the app on your 360. I highly recommend creating one through PC as I definitely know it works this way. Also, your first month is free!

6. Sign in using your login details. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Great news this arrived so early in the year, I heard "Netflix in 2012" and expected it to go live 29th December 2012.

Any way to check the films/tv shows available? Without setting up an account and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Noice!

Just signed up to a free trial there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Does it look for billing info or is the free month a straight up free month?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭mossie

Credit card details required to sign up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

calex71 wrote: »

Yep, CC required. You have to manually cancel within the month if you wish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

calex71 wrote: »

Being honest this is what puts me off these services. Lovefilm is the same, they take your cc details and (I am guessing) hope you forget to cancel, then after using it and starting to get charged say "ah well feck it I'm using it now"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Checked out their current catalgoue and tbh right now its a ****ing joke, were missing tons of stuff they have access to in the US, as usual were being treated as the retarded cousins who will watch what were told and not what we want

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

It definatley blows Zune out of the water

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Not impressed with the selection. Cancelled my free trial already. Went to stream on the xbox earlier and it was just terrible. Every few minutes it would buffer. It's not my connection, 100mb upc. Sky player streams fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

VinLieger wrote: »
    Checked out their current catalgoue and tbh right now its a ****ing joke, were missing tons of stuff they have access to in the US, as usual were being treated as the retarded cousins who will watch what were told and not what we want

Is there an overlap in terms of what the US have on Netflix and what Sky deliver here already?

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    Not impressed with the selection. Cancelled my free trial already. Went to stream on the xbox earlier and it was just terrible. Every few minutes it would buffer. It's not my connection, 100mb upc. Sky player streams fine.
    Sky player is ****e though with the basic offerings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Its decent for what it is.
    The lack of sport though is really poor.
    Like right now I'm watching Leeds vs Arsenal In the FA cup on Sky go, Netflix doesnt have any sport whatsoever.
    Plus theres more films in movies on demand on on Skygo.
    Its grand for the month but I certainly will not be paying for it.

Thing is sky is around €20 a month basic, netflix is €7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Meesared wrote: »
    Thing is sky is around €20 a month basic, netflix is €7

Yeah, but its free if you know of somebody who has sky, you would be surprised with the amount of people who do have it.
    If You don't know of anyone though its a pretty decent substitute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

Yeah but you can't watch the simpsons =[

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    Went to stream on the xbox earlier and it was just terrible. Every few minutes it would buffer. It's not my connection, 100mb upc. Sky player streams fine.

Streamed perfectly on the xbox earlier for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Its decent for what it is.
    The lack of sport though is really poor.
    Like right now I'm watching Leeds vs Arsenal In the FA cup on Sky go, Netflix doesnt have any sport whatsoever.
    Plus theres more films in movies on demand on on Skygo.
    Its grand for the month but I certainly will not be paying for it.

Netflix never was a sports streaming service even in the US cus ESPN have it completely locked up over there, even more so than sky over here

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Shifty Shellshock

I can't even access the free trial cos I have no credit card. Seems a bit of a pointless service. In this day and age of satellite dishes and piracy ,dunno why people even stream this on an xbox and pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Shred

I just signed up for the trial using my visa debit. Pretty impressed so far, played about 15-20 minutes of an episode of Dexter and Breaking Bad and both played flawlessly in full HD. I'll do some more UAT-ing but can see myself keeping it for €7 a month of unlimited streaming at least for a while; I use Zune regularly enough and that's about €5.50 per rental alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

I hope this is not their full selection of movies! I have more DVDs then the selection they provide at the moment. I honestly was hoping for more from this. There is only three john wayne movies available to us at this moment.

What I do like is it streamed nicely to my laptop, phone and when I downloaded it to xbox the movie continued where I left off. I think its worth the 7 euro a month. But I do hope the selection improves.

I can't even access the free trial cos I have no credit card. Seems a bit of a pointless service. In this day and age of satellite dishes and piracy ,dunno why people even stream this on an xbox and pay for it.
    Thing is piracy is illegal, this isnt

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

€6.99 for as many movies as you want to watch from their collection. Takes two mins to stream compared to about 20 mins downloading it from somewhere else. I'd much rather pay the €6.99 and have more time on my hands. Definetly not a pointless service, if it was, the company wouldn't be operating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Looks to me that you only say it's pointless because you don't have a credit card. What payment method were you expecting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

Anybody having problems installing the Netflix app? My xbox hangs when it tries to find it to install.

Advertisement