Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2011/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

Uk Met office
    Monthly Outlook

Monday 2 January Published at 10:00
    Monthly Outlook

Monday 16 January—Sunday 29 January
    Generally unsettled

The second half of the month looks similar to the first with predominantly unsettled conditions the main theme. Atlantic weather systems are likely to bring quite mild but quite wet conditions to many parts. Between those Atlantic systems there will probably be some short lived colder spells with some snow showers, mainly over northern hills. More settled spells are also expected, these most likely in more southern areas. While it may be generally unsettled, daytime temperatures should be near to, or a bit higher than, average but there is still potential for some overnight frost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Double post from the Strat Warm thread just in case some of you don't bother with it. Could get really exciting

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76275014&postcount=57

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

redsunset wrote: »
    Double post from the Strat Warm thread just in case some of you don't bother with it. Could get really exciting

Thank you Redsunset - probably the most promising post for snowlovers on these boards in the past number of weeks. It would appear that the experts are now confirming stratospheric warming and the real possibility that the AO will go negative over the coming 7-14 days. Can only help our quest for snow in Ireland - my only fear is that any blocking High Pressure would be centred over or just slightly to the west of Ireland, giving most of Europe the cold while Ireland would be locked in dry cold weather and frosty nights. Fingers crossed that any significant blocking takes place over Greenland or Scandinavia :D:D

D

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mcriot29

redsunset wrote: »

Maybe we will end up on a 47 type event this winter , i feel the cold air just avoids ireland andclips the uk , i fear the true cold may not hit ireland but east europe will no doubt get a deep cold spell before jan ends worse then last year, due to the build up over the artic due to the ao been at record heights for past 6 weeks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Another interesting pattern is starting to show in the models...one dominated by LOWS not HIGHS. While fairly FI at present they appear to be Polar Lows...which are explained very well here.

Unlike the setup in recent months where Lows have generated around 40-50n and bombed across the Atlantic on occasion ....followed by the Azores High poking back north over Ireland in their wake...these are powerful systems that generate in Northern Latitudes.

Anyway here are two examples to watch out for if they persist in the models. First of all the Polar lows develop and then they expand. Classic Polar Lows in our part of the world develop where the Gulf Stream gets past Norway into the Barents Sea or around Svalbard Island. They are often pinned into the Northern Oceans and of no great import to us down around here.

Cumulatively they are shown later in this particular model run expanding and pushing the Azores High southwards as they expand and with no Azores High in place ....bye bye warmth. :cool:

186922.png

186924.png

Life ain't all Highs Guys :D More here.

http://www.geo-web.org.uk/PolarLow.pdf

The example system mentioned there ( 2003) happened to hit London one day as ole Sponge Bob flew into Heathrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭nilhg

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Another interesting pattern is starting to show in the models...one dominated by LOWS not HIGHS. While fairly FI at present they appear to be Polar Lows...which are explained very well here.

Unlike the setup in recent months where Lows have generated around 40-50n and bombed across the Atlantic on occasion ....followed by the Azores High poking back north over Ireland in their wake...these are powerful systems that generate in Northern Latitudes.

Anyway here are two examples to watch out for if they persist in the models. First of all the Polar lows develop and then they expand. Classic Polar Lows in our part of the world develop where the Gulf Stream gets past Norway into the Barents Sea or around Svalbard Island. They are often pinned into the Northern Oceans and of no great import to us down around here.

Cumulatively they are shown later in this particular model run expanding and pushing the Azores High southwards as they expand and with no Azores High in place ....bye bye warmth. :cool:

186922.png

186924.png

Life ain't all Highs Guys :D More here.

http://www.geo-web.org.uk/PolarLow.pdf

The example system mentioned there ( 2003) happened to hit London one day as ole Sponge Bob flew into Heathrow.

The problem with extreme FI stuff like this though SB is that it has a tendency to dissappear in the next run or two:D

Rtavn3722.png

Rtavn3725.png

Bye bye cold;);)

nilhg wrote: »

Bye bye cold;);)

You are right Nil, of course you are, but the interesting thing I thought was a putative cold setup dominated by Lows not by a High over Scandinavia or Greenland which is what has often delivered lots of cold to Ireland.

And it was the first eruption of cold in the models this winter ...which models have tended to look like generally what you just posted for the past 3 months.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

that darkman was a bit of a legend there

you won't see him in this thread, he needs to have a few on the go himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭nilhg

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    You are right Nil, of course you are, but the interesting thing I thought was a putative cold setup dominated by Lows not by a High over Scandinavia or Greenland which is what has often delivered lots of cold to Ireland.

And it was the first eruption of cold in the models this winter ...which models have tended to look like generally what you just posted for the past 3 months.

Thanks

Yeah it was an interesting scenario alright, and would be even more interesting if it was 3 days away rather than 15.:D:D

It would have all depended (as always) on where those lows finished up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭jirafa

Tuesday's 10-14 day outlook 3/1/12

Link................ http://youtu.be/5oRDLwVaI1I

It is early squeaky bum time .... :p:p:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

jirafa wrote: »
    Tuesday's 10-14 day outlook 3/1/12

Link................ http://youtu.be/5oRDLwVaI1I

It is early squeaky bum time .... :p:p:p:p

??? From what I saw until mid-month it's the same old same old, and then very little chance of the lows dropping to give us some, some, some, (licks dry lips in anticipation of possible hex on it...) SNOW!!!!
    So everyone please put on your dancing shoes.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

It might get cooler was what I seen in that video.

I'd prefer it to be mild and dry than cold and wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭jirafa

Valid from 14/01 to 10/02 2012

Colder late January

The forecast period from late-autumn into the beginning of this winter has been 'particularly challenging' both in terms of pinning down sufficient confidence in a sustainable pattern. There has been a good deal of cold Arctic air piling up the north, the 'deal' was attempting to see whether the pattern conditions would be favourable to 'trigger' this air to come south into the UK? This has been a winter period the like of which I have not seen for some time, that said, with some reservations I have had this 'feeling' that winter 201-12 would always be late. This is not the winter of the previous two years, when it arrives it will be notable, such will be the contrast to present conditions. I believe that it'll be the mid-late January period when this arrives?

*14/01/12*

After a brief taste of winter in the short term, conditions will revert to an Atlantic flow with generally mild conditions establishing across all areas of the UK. There'll be periods of wind and rain for all of us, gales in exposed areas to the west and north, some of this rain will be heavy at times with blustery showers following as brighter and cooler conditions pass through on a brisk west to north-westerly flow. There will be some drier and brighter intervals between the main rain bands, the more southern and south-eastern areas of Britain favoured to see this, sheltered from the mainly west to north-westerly flow. There is the hint that these more southern areas will become largely dry later as pressure begins to rise.

*15/01/12 - 20/01/12*

It is through this period that the patterns do suggest a rise in pressure, where this takes place is 'debatable' at the moment, also the threat that it may turn substantially colder. On current evidence a rise in pressure will take place, a suggestion that this'll be to the northwest or northwest a much colder outbreak of Arctic air moving south through all areas on a northerly to north-easterly flow. Much of the available precipitation turning wintry in nature, frost becoming widespread overnight as high pressure slips across the UK and winds fall light, a less cold flow across the north and northwest as a light south-westerly establishes here. As high pressure slips further east a light southerly to south-easterly flow becomes established through all areas, so mainly dry, broken cloud and chilly for most.

*21/01/12 - 25/01/12*

High pressure once again takes control as it drifts in the UK, the mainly dry settled and chilly conditions maintained through most areas. Some indication of a strengthening westerly flow over the northern half of Britain, so expect more in the way of cloud and rain here from time to time later, as high pressure drifts westward, the flow turns more north-westerly through all areas, allowing this more unsettled weather to extend south and east through the bulk of the UK.

*26/01/12 - 05/02/12*

This period sees the Atlantic once again take control with a brisk westerly establishing across all areas bringing wet and windy conditions. Turning mild for a time, drier across the south as pressure builds. High pressure begins to dominate to the west a colder north-westerly then northerly digs in, wintry showers extending south as temperatures begin to fall back.

Simon & Capn Bob

http://www.weatheron...ad&DAY=20120102

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

jirafa wrote: »
    Valid from 14/01 to 10/02 2012

Colder late January

The forecast period from late-autumn into the beginning of this winter has been 'particularly challenging' both in terms of pinning down sufficient confidence in a sustainable pattern. There has been a good deal of cold Arctic air piling up the north, the 'deal' was attempting to see whether the pattern conditions would be favourable to 'trigger' this air to come south into the UK? This has been a winter period the like of which I have not seen for some time, that said, with some reservations I have had this 'feeling' that winter 201-12 would always be late. This is not the winter of the previous two years, when it arrives it will be notable, such will be the contrast to present conditions. I believe that it'll be the mid-late January period when this arrives?

*14/01/12*

After a brief taste of winter in the short term, conditions will revert to an Atlantic flow with generally mild conditions establishing across all areas of the UK. There'll be periods of wind and rain for all of us, gales in exposed areas to the west and north, some of this rain will be heavy at times with blustery showers following as brighter and cooler conditions pass through on a brisk west to north-westerly flow. There will be some drier and brighter intervals between the main rain bands, the more southern and south-eastern areas of Britain favoured to see this, sheltered from the mainly west to north-westerly flow. There is the hint that these more southern areas will become largely dry later as pressure begins to rise.

*15/01/12 - 20/01/12*

It is through this period that the patterns do suggest a rise in pressure, where this takes place is 'debatable' at the moment, also the threat that it may turn substantially colder. On current evidence a rise in pressure will take place, a suggestion that this'll be to the northwest or northwest a much colder outbreak of Arctic air moving south through all areas on a northerly to north-easterly flow. Much of the available precipitation turning wintry in nature, frost becoming widespread overnight as high pressure slips across the UK and winds fall light, a less cold flow across the north and northwest as a light south-westerly establishes here. As high pressure slips further east a light southerly to south-easterly flow becomes established through all areas, so mainly dry, broken cloud and chilly for most.

*21/01/12 - 25/01/12*

High pressure once again takes control as it drifts in the UK, the mainly dry settled and chilly conditions maintained through most areas. Some indication of a strengthening westerly flow over the northern half of Britain, so expect more in the way of cloud and rain here from time to time later, as high pressure drifts westward, the flow turns more north-westerly through all areas, allowing this more unsettled weather to extend south and east through the bulk of the UK.

*26/01/12 - 05/02/12*

This period sees the Atlantic once again take control with a brisk westerly establishing across all areas bringing wet and windy conditions. Turning mild for a time, drier across the south as pressure builds. High pressure begins to dominate to the west a colder north-westerly then northerly digs in, wintry showers extending south as temperatures begin to fall back.

Simon & Capn Bob

http://www.weatheron...ad&DAY=20120102

Take this update with a pinch of Salt, I dont know how many times they have changed their outlook's. It will be something else next week when the models change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Latest GFS keeps temps around average or slightly above for the time of year for much of the next 2 weeks at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Guys is this cold event really going to happen as mixed comments are huge this last few weeks ;(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Good to see the vortex move to scandi on the Ecm, still at 240hrs, This would allow heights build into greenland. Hopefully the Ecm will stick to this in the next few runs which would allow the change come towards the end of January. The only problem it would give a Northerly blast rather than an easterly.

ECM1-240.GIF?03-0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Joe Public

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Guys is this cold event really going to happen as mixed comments are huge this last few weeks ;(

It's too far out yet for anyone to be confident and not helped by the volatility of the current systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭oisingeogho

over the past few days the 13th of January has always had a nice chart hopefully that will mean something?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

over the past few days the 13th of January has always had a nice chart hopefully that will mean something?

I fear it will simply mean more disappointment for snow groupies :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Good to see the vortex move to scandi on the Ecm, still at 240hrs, This would allow heights build into greenland. Hopefully the Ecm will stick to this in the next few runs which would allow the change come towards the end of January. The only problem it would give a Northerly blast rather than an easterly.

GFS has us in a Westerly set up even with the Vortex over Scandi. We still seem to get an onslaught of low after low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Interesting GFS tonight, very similar to the ECMWF around mid-month with heights building over Greenland and a blast of cold air moving towards us. GFS control also showing it. Neither build towards anything too exciting but increasing signs of the vortex losing its dominating influence

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Harps wrote: »
    Interesting GFS tonight, very similar to the ECMWF around mid-month with heights building over Greenland and a blast of cold air moving towards us. GFS control also showing it. Neither build towards anything too exciting but increasing signs of the vortex losing its dominating influence
    Noticed that myself. Glimmer of hope for the snow/cold lovers, but only a glimmer @ 10 days away.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,334 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Get ready for an unstable period for model runs even in 3-6 day "reliable" time frames as a pattern change seems imminent over the Atlantic. I think there will be model runs coming along next 3-4 days with much better winter synoptics but they may continue to flip-flop until we can actually split the vortex.

I mentioned in my forecast today that I have low confidence in mild pattern output as early as this weekend but certainly by Monday 9th, watch for larger energy peaks to show up soon in model output with a NW to SE theme developing.

Despite the recent mild two week period, the thermocline to the north of Faeroes is situated well south of Jan Mayen to eastern Iceland in comparison to other recent winters, which argues for a rather fast pattern change if one does develop.

This recent deep storm appears to have decoupled from the jet already and is setting up in the Baltic from where it could become a vortex attracting dead low that will pull down vortmaxes from the Norwegian Sea into the Balkan region. If that were to start to retrograde at all, then very rapid pattern change as in Jan 1987 could follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Oh yes all indices have been hinting the drop.
    I feel the Ice Queen has been gathering her troops and shall send forth once again
    The might of the Great White Siberian Army.:D:D:D:eek::eek::eek::eek:

For the answer my friends is,

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭only one

What was jan 87 like?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

only one wrote: »
    What was jan 87 like?

3969885668_6caaf71e94_z.jpg?zz=1
    :eek::eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭only one

leahyl wrote: »
    only one wrote: »