Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some pictures I took recently

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭thyme

Nice one whyulittle, usual place?, if it is got to get over there some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

trebor28 wrote: »
    presume thats your own site?

Yep, something I've been meaning to do for a while. Just a nice way to keep track of things.
    thyme wrote: »
    Nice one whyulittle, usual place?, if it is got to get over there some day.

Usual place. But you don't need to go anywhere - you're as lucky as Kess with the wildlife around you. :)

Yeah a whole family of Reds hopping around here at the moment, but would like to get a photo of the Harrier's for my own little library .

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Clearpreso

Do you think we could start a thread on wildlife photography tips/how tos?

I am just getting started with the whole area, but I get the feeling that some of the really good folk on here could impart some good advice in terms of how to take good pics, both technically in terms of camera functions (shutter speed, aperture, good lenses etc) and also tips in terms of good times of day to go shooting pics.

I could go to photography forum, but they dont seem to have much of a wildlife focus. Would love to hear from the Pros on here about how it is done best!

Ed

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

Clearpreso wrote: »
    Do you think we could start a thread on wildlife photography tips/how tos?

I am just getting started with the whole area, but I get the feeling that some of the really good folk on here could impart some good advice in terms of how to take good pics, both technically in terms of camera functions (shutter speed, aperture, good lenses etc) and also tips in terms of good times of day to go shooting pics.

I could go to photography forum, but they dont seem to have much of a wildlife focus. Would love to hear from the Pros on here about how it is done best!

Ed

Thats a good idea Ed! maybe if we start putting the camera settings with the picture and time of day taken it might be of some help. I dont claim to be a pro far from it a lot of my pics are down to patience and luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Perhaps expand this thread to include settings?

I can amend title.

Thats a good idea Ed! maybe if we start putting the camera settings with the picture and time of day taken it might be of some help. I dont claim to be a pro far from it a lot of my pics are down to patience and luck.

Yep, thats a brilliant idea. Would be a great start.

As for the existing camera thread, what camera are you using is a bit of a different question from how you are using it I think. Having read it before it seems more hardware focussed than how-to. I don't want to hijack/divert it in a different firection.

Rainbowsends idea would be a great start though.

Not knocking the general idea of giving tips etc, but settings are a tricky thing.

You'd be better off just going out and experimenting - seeing how/why your settings change when you're shooting on a cloudy/sunny day, towards/away from the sun, into a bright sky/dark vegetation.

This book normally gets recommended in the photography section for help on understanding hows the different settings effect each other.

thyme wrote: »
    Yeah a whole family of Reds hopping around here at the moment, but would like to get a photo of the Harrier's for my own little library .

Great day there today - male and female Hen Harrier, juvenile or female Marsh Harrier, along with Buzzard, Sparrowhawk and Kestrel.

whyulittle wrote: »
    Great day there today - male and female Hen Harrier, juvenile or female Marsh Harrier, along with Buzzard, Sparrowhawk and Kestrel.

Spoilt for choice again I see.
    How many Buzzard's would you see around that area, there is always one here, but on a good day I would see three or four,and they always seem to come from that area , and go back that way.

Oh, could you tell the Harrier's to come this way for a day or two, get the Buzzard's to show them the way,hehe.

• Advertisement

Not knocking the general idea of giving tips etc, but settings are a tricky thing.

You'd be better off just going out and experimenting - seeing how/why your settings change when you're shooting on a cloudy/sunny day, towards/away from the sun, into a bright sky/dark vegetation.

This book normally gets recommended in the photography section for help on understanding hows the different settings effect each other.

Couldn't agree more with you on that , get out and experiment.
    Thats the best about digital cameras, you can review your shots , as you take them, if you don't like it delete it and try again with a different setting.
    Works for me, ( most of the time ) , still learning .

The most I've ever seen there at once was three or four one day.

Looking at the photos, I think the male Marsh Harrier was actually there today as well. Pity there's not such a striking difference between the sexes as there is with the Hen Harriers!

Male?
    7S5D5118.jpg

Female/juvenie?
    7S5D5473.jpg

Female Hen Harrier
    7S5D5399.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

A few from near the feeders today, everything seems bright and colourful after the rain.
    Bluetit
    fewbirdsedited-23.jpg

Coaltit
    fewbirdsedited-25.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Great pics Rainbowsend. I especially adore the coal tit photo. Very cool pic of that particular badger head.:)

Rare non-raptor shot. :P

Female Reed Bunting I'm going with.

7S5D5079.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Wheatear along the West Pier in Dun Laoghaire yesterday.

179524.jpg

Click on your link to get the URL.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/441942/179524.jpg

Then either put [img][/img] at either end of, or just click the little yellow icon with the mountain, and paste the URL directly into the pop-up box.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Pie Man

When you have ur pic uploaded double click on it so you can copy it. then when you writhing ur post paste it in the picture option looks lick this.
    insertimage.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Pie Man

Click on your link to get the URL.

Sorry didn't see your post, took me so long to wright mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

6287008297_ea4bb8fdc2_z.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Some photos with settings as suggested, I'm no expert on photography but I do find shooting into cloud quite hard, I prefer a blue sky background or ground level shots and high shutter speeds...:)

Little Grebe..(1/1250sec f5.6 ISO400)
    littlegrebe.jpg

Kestrel..(1/1250sec f5.6 ISO125)
    kes2.jpg

Kestrel..(1/1250sec f5.6 ISO100)
    kes1.jpg

Harrier.. (1/1250sec f5.6 ISO800)
    img1257r.jpg

Harrier..(1/500sec f5.6 ISO320)
    harrieroct.jpg

Harrier..(1/500sec f5.6 ISO400)
    goodharrier.jpg

Guillemot..(1/1250sec f5.6 ISO250)
    guillemot.jpg

Guillemot..(1/1250sec f5.6 ISO320)
    guillemot2.jpg

Redshank..(1/1250sec f5.6 ISO1250)
    redshank.jpg

Awesome shots Vbull, and thanks for adding in the camera info.

Where do you go to get these amazing shots! So. many. raptors... I am more than a tad jealous

Any idea what the really big high-flying flocks are at LB V Bull?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

VBull, where were these taken? some look like they could've been around Bull Island, but I'm hoping not, as I'd be kicking myself :(:o

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Any idea what the really big high-flying flocks are at LB V Bull?

Hi WUL...spotted huge flocks of Plovers & Lapwings but nothing unusual todate.

VBull, where were these taken? some look like they could've been around Bull Island, but I'm hoping not, as I'd be kicking myself

Hi stupidusername.. Raptors were in WUL back yard..LB the others were in Bullock Harbour..

hhmq.jpg
    (1/1250sec f5.6 ISO125)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

Looking at the photos, I think the male Marsh Harrier was actually there today as well. Pity there's not such a striking difference between the sexes as there is with the Hen Harriers!

Male?
    7S5D5118.jpg

Female/juvenie?
    7S5D5473.jpg
    Ist bird is a 2nd year male marsh harrier. Looks like female-type bird but notice the distinct black tips to wing. Males only show that trait.

The second bird is a female-type bird (no distinct black wing tips).

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

heres a couple of pics
    below nosy starling
    179723.JPG
    local hedgehog
    179724.JPG
    Dragon fly
    179725.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭mikka631

Some shots I took of a Heron on Tolka River at Glasnevin, Dublin.

Canon 7D, Canon 300mm f4 L IS USM, 1/100", f6.3, iso 200
    Heron_301011_1.jpg

Canon 7D, Canon 300mm f4 L IS USM, 1/125", f4, iso 200
    Heron_301011_3.jpg

Canon 7D, Canon 300mm f4 L IS USM, 1/320", f4, iso 400
    Heron_301011_4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

artieanna wrote: »
    heres a couple of pics
    below nosy starling

179725.JPG

I think this is a Common Hawker (Aeshna juncea). Just for a moment I thought you had photographed a Golden-ringed Dragonfly (very rare). :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Roen and fluffy I can't see the pictures and would like to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement