Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

I'll just enlighten the mood here..

Speed Cameras SUCK!

There is not a day goes by that ANY driver can say to you that they did NOT break the speed limit. (Whether it is 55 in a 50 zone or 105 in a 100 zone).

These new cameras will penalise you for this. I never understand then why people do 60 in a 50 zone.. you might as well do 80, you'll still get the same fine :rolleyes:

And yes, there have been countless reports in this thread where people get fined for these measly differences (I have also seen them in the flesh..). There's my proof :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

-Corkie- wrote: »
    This thread is going round in circles so lets brighten it up.....

189359_10150255720760671_588465670_8161883_4209319_n.jpg
    Snopes.com says this is fake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Tragedy wrote: »
    Aren't you the poster who constantly insists on people providing evidence to back up their assertions, when they provide said evidence, you ignore it and refuse to debate it?

And of course, your 'camp' is the correct, logical and knowledgable one and you aren't just as guilty as head in the sand LALALALA I CAN'T HEAR ANYTHING THAT CONTRAVENES MY DEEPLY HELD BELIEFS nonsense that the other 'camp' engages in.

Of course not.

Just as Irishspeedtraps conveniently ignores awkward facts that go against some of his opinions/beliefs, so do you and cyclopath. More so than (s)he does in my reading of this forum.

It's getting pretty fécking tiresome too, and I wish the three of you just would just go and get yourself banned.

Evidence is what counts, not beliefs.

This is what informs my opinions, so attack the available evidence, rather than just wishing that people presenting these arguments would go away.

Here are three papers just waiting for you to refute their findings.

Wilson 2010 - Speed cameras for the prevention of road traffic injuries and deaths. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews.
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/o/cochrane/clsysrev/articles/CD004607/frame.html

Pilkington 2005 - Effectiveness of speed cameras in preventing road traffic collisions and related casualties: systematic review. British Medical Journal. 2005;330:331-334.
    http://www.bmj.com/cgi/reprint/330/7487/331

Elvik 2004 - Speed, speed cameras and road safety evaluation research: a presentation given to the Royal Statistical Society.
    http://membership.rss.org.uk/rssadmin/uploads/3952_Rune%20Elvik%20paper.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Joe 90

Snopes.com says this is fake.
    Obviously fake, the Sidewinder is a heat seeker.

I'll just enlighten the mood here..

Speed Cameras SUCK!

There is not a day goes by that ANY driver can say to you that they did NOT break the speed limit. (Whether it is 55 in a 50 zone or 105 in a 100 zone).

These new cameras will penalise you for this. I never understand then why people do 60 in a 50 zone.. you might as well do 80, you'll still get the same fine :rolleyes:

And yes, there have been countless reports in this thread where people get fined for these measly differences (I have also seen them in the flesh..). There's my proof :p

Speed+cmaeras+in+disguise.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

-Chris- wrote: »
    Attack the post, not the poster please....I asked for you to provide quotes to back up your opinion, or for Irishspeedtraps to clarify their position....I don't know or care what Irishspeedtraps (or other posters) post on other websites, our debate is happening on boards.ie.
    I think this clarifies the meaning.

I'm still waiing to see evidence that this is the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Cheers for digging that up. Hopefully Irishspeedtraps will clarify/back-up his position.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

I think this clarifies the meaning.

I'm still waiing to see evidence that this is the case.

I am stating an opinion, a personal opinion does not require evidence. However I have asked for the data on the detection and accident rate, and revenue raised from each speed camera locations from the Gardai, but they won't release it. Why are they hiding the information? It leads me to that conclusion that at least some of the camera locations are motivated by profit, rather than road safety. However without the data from the Gardai, I cannot prove this as you point out.

On the other hand your claim that any excess funds raised from speeding fines goes back into funding emergency services is being stated by you as a fact, therefore should be backed up. In fact I am not trying to trip you up by asking about this, I am genuinely interested and it is an important point. It could even change some people's negative view of speed traps into a positive one, so why won't you tell us where you heard this fact? I am not the only one to ask, a mod also asked you where you got this information. So tell us, did it come from an official source, or is it merely an assumption of yours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Are those small speed limit signs legal? They are around the size of a dinner plate? Why are they used instead of the regular speed signs? You see them on roads which are patrolled by speed cameras. Seems very cynical to me.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

They are indeed, for repeater signs only; i.e. you should have already passed a larger sign before you start seeing the smaller ones.
    See Table 5.9 in Ch. 5 of the 2010 Traffic Signs Manual

• Advertisement

But why bother with smaller signs. They still erect the same size poll. There should be one standard size.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

They are simply reminders. People complain when there aren't enough signs. People complain when there are but they're not big enough. :D

Well in fairness it's a legitimate complaint. I've no penalty points :D and have no interest in speeding or breaking the speed limit. They go to the expense of digging a hole placing concrete and a tubular pole to hold a sign and then put a dinner plate onto it. It's bad design. And typical of road design standards in this country.

I am stating an opinion, a personal opinion does not require evidence.
    The value of your opinion depends on the facts or reasoning that support it.

It is reasonable to assume that if there are any net proceeds, these benefit the exchequer which itself provides funds for emergency services. It's tenuous, but a statement based on reason.

It is not reasonable to assume that speed cameras exist, as you allege: 'to make money, plain and simple' when there are other strongly vaild reasons for their existance and when you have no evidence whatever that any money over and above operating costs is actually made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

The value of your opinion depends on the facts or reasoning that support it.

And so, based on the fact that there are no links or facts to support the opinion, could you not just allocate a value of zero to the opinion and move on?

He doesn't have evidence for his opinion, you have evidence for your opinion but admit it's based on pedantics.

Everyone knows exactly where everyone else stands.

Please move on!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    But why bother with smaller signs. They still erect the same size poll. There should be one standard size.
    Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Well in fairness it's a legitimate complaint. I've no penalty points :D and have no interest in speeding or breaking the speed limit. They go to the expense of digging a hole placing concrete and a tubular pole to hold a sign and then put a dinner plate onto it. It's bad design. And typical of road design standards in this country.

It's only a reminder -- if standard sizes were use people would think that the limit had just changed and there was a higher limit before the sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,260 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Speed cameras are getting sneaky,

I was coming into drogheda on the Mell road and one of them was parked in a car park space recording. Didnt even notice it till I drove past. Luckily I was only doing 30KPH

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

this thread is turned into a joke same old T%%%% repeating the same thing over and over again.& abusing each other

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

isnt this just so sweet
    scaled.php?tn=0&server=618&filename=npavp.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

thanks jimmynokia
    where is that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭azul

This is a letter I wrote into the Irish Times last week which was not published
    . I'm sure the majority of posters would lynch me if they had a chance......or not??

Sir
    Having just returned from a month in Leeds city where there are fixed speed cameras generously located throughout the city, I counted four on Burley road over a quarter mile stretch, I could not but notice the lack of same over here. One could clearly see the effect that this amount of cameras had on traffic, especially in a built up area such as Burley road. I noticed that drivers in Leeds kept a safe distance between cars, sticking to the limit with very little, if any, speeding and dangerous overtaking. Here, I'm afraid, it appears to be quite different. Are there any fixed speed cameras in built up and urban areas in Ireland? I've never seen one. I'm not talking about ring roads and dual carriage ways, I'm talking about single lane roads in cities, towns and villages where there are cycle lanes and footpaths. In the couple of days I've been home I've had numerous drivers try to push me out of the way when I was adhering to the speed limit. One furious driver made a disturbing gesture and honked his horn when he finally found an opportunity to overtake, as if I was the one in the wrong. There seems to be a blatant lack of respect for speed limits over here by a minority of drivers. Some drivers seem to see speed limits as an unfair restriction on ones freedom to drive at ones preferred speed rather than actually there for the purpose of the drivers own safety and others. As an Irish driver I never though I'd say this, but I believe that speed cameras, and lots of them, are the only solution to speeding in this country, no matter what the cost.
    Yours . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 8 paddyjoe1993

hello there i was driving to college this morning and i overtaking a car that was doing 80km and when i pulled back in i realised that there was a marked speed van facing towards me pulled in about 100meters ahead of me and at this stage i was doing 100km/hr. will i get done if i was a small bit over when i was overtaking the car but i think i stook it at 100km while overtaking but not to sure. can anyone help me.?

jimmynokia wrote: »
    isnt this just so sweet
    scaled.php?tn=0&server=618&filename=npavp.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640
    Ironic, maybe.

Were you parked in the middle of the road while you took this picture?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

He didn't take that picture. It is a very old picture that people seem to be recycling lately.

hello there i was driving to college this morning and i overtaking a car that was doing 80km and when i pulled back in i realised that there was a marked speed van facing towards me pulled in about 100meters ahead of me and at this stage i was doing 100km/hr. will i get done if i was a small bit over when i was overtaking the car but i think i stook it at 100km while overtaking but not to sure. can anyone help me.?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭Damien360

Depends on the picture. If 2 cars are in the picture submitted, the consensus is, it will be dumped as you cannot tell who is speeding and a lawyer would win that hands down. If on the other hand, you had completed the overtake and picture was then taken, I am afraid you should expect points. Reports here of fine in post within a week.

azul wrote: »
    This is a letter I wrote into the Irish Times last week which was not published
    . I'm sure the majority of posters would lynch me if they had a chance......or not??

You're in the wrong...

...about this bit, IMHO:
    azul wrote: »
    There seems to be a blatant lack of respect for speed limits over here by a minority of drivers.

My perception, at least in the area where I travel regularly, is that the speed limit is routinely broken by a majority of drivers.

The standard of driving at these excessive speeds is also shocking. I was overtaken recently, while signalling to make a right turn on a 50 km/h residential street in heavy rain, by two motorists travelling at what I reckon must have been 60-70 km/h.

Damien360 wrote: »
    Depends on the picture. If 2 cars are in the picture submitted, the consensus is, it will be dumped as you cannot tell who is speeding and a lawyer would win that hands down. If on the other hand, you had completed the overtake and picture was then taken, I am afraid you should expect points. Reports here of fine in post within a week.
    do they let you off if your just a few km over.?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

do they let you off if your just a few km over.?

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

All that is needed for the forces of evil to succeed is for enough good men to remain silent.

Don't be so dramatic.....

Advertisement